Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 10, 2020)

I'm abit worried about FF7R if the 1st game is just Midgard, how many instalments are we going to get? How fast will SE release them? Also SE seems to like to change up combat and gameplay between sequels, is this going to happen with each instalment of the remake? Too many questions....

Also DLC summons... yuk

Edited by stupot00
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stupot00 said:

I'm abit worried about FF7R if the 1st game is just Midgard, how many instalments are we going to get? How fast will SE release them? Also SE seems to like to change up combat and gameplay between sequels, is this going to happen with each instalment of the remake? Too many questions....

Also DLC summons... yuk

Nah, the combat system will stay the same in all games...

DLC summons... yeah. They put Carbuncle, but it's just for fashion, if they kept the All materia you could do Reflect All and it'll be the same.

Full interview of Kitase:

"FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a reimagining of the iconic original game that goes much deeper into the world and characters of FINAL FANTASY VII than ever before.

“Our goal with this project is to rebuild FINAL FANTASY VII for a new era. We’re not making a straight 1:1 copy or a simple remaster of the original game.

“It’s a huge volume of work and data to re-imagine this world. Each game in the project will have a volume of content comparable to a standalone FINAL FANTASY. The disc version of the first game is actually a 2 Blu-Ray Disc set. This approach allows us to remake the original without having to scale back on everything players loved.

Yoshinori-Kitase-3.jpg?quality=65&width=100%25&height=100%25

Yoshinori Kitase, Producer of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE

“While the development team finish the first game in the project, we are continuing to plan and outline the overall volume of content for the second.

“Due to the work already done on the first game we anticipate development of the second game to be more efficient. We have our own internal schedule and plan, but for now we’d like to focus our information on the first game in the project.

“The key creative values of the core FINAL FANTASY series are innovation, pushing boundaries and surprising players, this project shares these same values and the development team view it as the next mainline FINAL FANTASY release.

“For the original core members of the development team, simply recreating the original game with improved graphics wasn’t enough to get us invested and excited about remaking VII. To return, we want to go beyond the original, telling a deeper story and providing a modern gaming experience. We really want to go above and beyond what is expected of a remake.

“As well as some of the core members of the original development team, we also have a dedicated in-house team of international gaming talent. Many of our new team members were young fans who played the original VII when it was first released. It’s very exciting and exhilarating to work with this talented team on such an ambitious project.

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE-E3_2019-screenshot_1_1560213818.jpg?quality=65&width=100%25&height=100%25

“The first game in the project takes place in the eclectic city of Midgar, we chose to focus on Midgar as it best represents the world of VII as a location more than any other. Midgar is full of imagination with myriad influences and surprises around every corner.

“While many people may think that Midgar is very dark at first glance, we have a design aesthetic where the city has strong elements of colour and variety. The lighting and colouring we are using throughout Midgar accentuate what is unique about FINAL FANTASY VII’s world. We decided not to use a photo-realistic approach with the design, but instead something more stylised, honouring the artistic designs and choices of the original.

“A lot has changed since the release of the original FINAL FANTASY VII. Back then we didn’t have access to things like voice acting, performance and motion capture, or close-up cameras outside of cut-scenes. For FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE there’s a greater emphasis on character storytelling through the use of these techniques as well as some other new tech. This allows us to make these characters more expressive than ever, enhancing the levels of immersion and enjoyment through performance.

“In REMAKE we are giving voice to the original FINAL FANTASY VII for the first time. By bringing in a new generation of actors, we hope to provide the best experience for original fans and new players.

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE-E3_2019-screenshot_4_1560213827.jpg?quality=65&width=100%25&height=100%25

“For the gameplay, we are aiming to create a new take on classic concepts with an accessible evolution of the ATB system giving you greater action with tactical control.

“The system we’ve created retains the strategic decisions of controlling multiple party members, allowing you to select from a wide range of abilities and spells. You can control your favourite character while issuing orders to others, or leave them to AI. And choose when to switch to a different party member to make best use of their unique abilities in battle. This allows all players to choose and enjoy your favourite way of playing.

“Finally, yes we still have Materia. You can use it to tailor your play style and abilities.

“We’ll go into greater detail on lots more gameplay elements as we get closer to the release next year. For now, I hope you are all excited by what we revealed at E3 and we look forward to sharing more news and updates with you across the year ahead.”

https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/yoshinori-kitase-final-fantasy-vii-remake-overview

• Like 1

Some new details from the Famitsu magazine.

• The watchmen of fate (the black mist in the trailer) are mysterious beings that appear before the party wherever they go. I hope that even those who have played the original game will enjoy the new elements.
  • There are quite a bit of dialogue options. We are making it so the dialogue changes depending on your response, so the sheer volume of dialogue has increased.
  • The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We’ve made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…
  • There are quite a few additions to the scenario. While the main story itself hasn’t changed, there are a countless number of new events. Otherwise we wouldn’t have two Blu-ray discs. (Laughs.)
  • Aerith and Tifa are double heroines. One has a western-style look and the other an eastern-style look.
  • We wanted Tifa to have abs, so she has an athletic body type. The ethics department at Square Enix also told us that we had to tighten her chest as not to get unnatural during all the intense action. From there we got the black underwear and fitted tank top.
  • With an emphasis on immersion and exhilaration, you can fight without stress through the use of shortcuts. When you open the command menu, time slows and you can fight like a command battle.
  • Each playable character has different enemy affinities.
  • An item is required for MP recovery.
  • For the sake of level design, we’re preparing a few new enemies where necessary.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-fantasy-vii-remake-director-tetsuya-nomura-confirms-honey-bee-inn-cross-dressing-event-new-events-dialogue-options-and-enemies

13 hours ago, Aranea Highwind said:

Some new details from the Famitsu magazine.

• The watchmen of fate (the black mist in the trailer) are mysterious beings that appear before the party wherever they go. I hope that even those who have played the original game will enjoy the new elements.
  • There are quite a bit of dialogue options. We are making it so the dialogue changes depending on your response, so the sheer volume of dialogue has increased.
  • The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We’ve made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…
  • There are quite a few additions to the scenario. While the main story itself hasn’t changed, there are a countless number of new events. Otherwise we wouldn’t have two Blu-ray discs. (Laughs.)
  • Aerith and Tifa are double heroines. One has a western-style look and the other an eastern-style look.
  • We wanted Tifa to have abs, so she has an athletic body type. The ethics department at Square Enix also told us that we had to tighten her chest as not to get unnatural during all the intense action. From there we got the black underwear and fitted tank top.
  • With an emphasis on immersion and exhilaration, you can fight without stress through the use of shortcuts. When you open the command menu, time slows and you can fight like a command battle.
  • Each playable character has different enemy affinities.
  • An item is required for MP recovery.
  • For the sake of level design, we’re preparing a few new enemies where necessary.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-fantasy-vii-remake-director-tetsuya-nomura-confirms-honey-bee-inn-cross-dressing-event-new-events-dialogue-options-and-enemies

1 - could be interesting

2 - that could be a good thing

3 - wonder how they will do this

4 - are they saying part 1 will be 2 blu-ray disc? that was such a small section of the game

5 - it was pretty much like that in the original but I was never an Aerith fan and I was actually glad when she was gone.

6 - the ethics department would have nothing to do with the combat they just did not want Tifa to have her "original assets"

7 - immersion is usually a good thing if it is done properly

8 - that is a given as Cloud would not be able to reach flying enemies while Barrett can I am sure there will be other things besides this

9 - no regen on magic naturally is no big deal

10 - nothing wrong with more enemy types.

I will say I am extremely worried about this game especially being done in segments and "claiming" it is a "full" game. I will keep an eye on the segment of the game and keep it on gamefly though. Yes the game looks beautiful but graphics do not make the game. On a side note what was with people pronouncing her name as TEEfa? that seems odd to me.

Edited by Void

Listened to some accounts of the demo and thus far *fingers crossed* it seems like everything we have been waiting since 2015 for when they first said this would happen.  I never played the original but I feel I missed out but now will probably not play the remaster as to go into this release with a first timer outlook.  It actually crossed my mind to take 3/3/20 off from work and boot it at 12:01 if there is a preload or however long the day 1 patch (seems everyone has one) takes.  Hopefully FF XII:ZA, Control and finishing 100% on Horizon will keep me from just staring at the countdown like a child waiting for Santa.

I'm a little confused about the battle style, one of the best qualities of ff7 was the turn base where you set your team up and cross your fingers that it's going to work. The story of FF7 is undoubtedly my favorite rpg Story of all time so I don't mind reliving it, Just hope it's actually fun.

I was totally on board until I saw Sephiroth - he comes into play way after Midgar and it's kinda lame that it looks like they are trying to shoehorn him back into the earlier part of the plot - he only really starts to become relevant just before they leave Midgar. Also, IMO he seems kind of a bit too "anime", and the dialogue between him and Cloud was kind of cringe in terms of delivery at the end of the trailer, had echoes of the ' I'll never be a memory cloud' shit from Advent Children. As much as I find AC/Crisis Core entertaining, they felt a bit off base from the Sephiroth we got in the PS1 original and I don't think I can stand multiple games of that incredibly hammy, melodramatic dialogue.

That being said, if there's any mention of the worst FF character ever - GENESIS - then I'll definitely give this whole thing a miss. To this day I have never cringed so hard from ingame dialogue - "LOVELESS" and all the associated quotes has to be some of the worst shit I've ever heard in my life, I think even people who write fanfic winced when they heard some of those lines.

2 hours ago, SkyMason said:

I was totally on board until I saw Sephiroth - he comes into play way after Midgar and it's kinda lame that it looks like they are trying to shoehorn him back into the earlier part of the plot - he only really starts to become relevant just before they leave Midgar. Also, IMO he seems kind of a bit too "anime", and the dialogue between him and Cloud was kind of cringe in terms of delivery at the end of the trailer, had echoes of the ' I'll never be a memory cloud' shit from Advent Children. As much as I find AC/Crisis Core entertaining, they felt a bit off base from the Sephiroth we got in the PS1 original and I don't think I can stand multiple games of that incredibly hammy, melodramatic dialogue.

That being said, if there's any mention of the worst FF character ever - GENESIS - then I'll definitely give this whole thing a miss. To this day I have never cringed so hard from ingame dialogue - "LOVELESS" and all the associated quotes has to be some of the worst shit I've ever heard in my life, I think even people who write fanfic winced when they heard some of those lines.

I think that dialogue is in Cloud's mind.

50 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

I think that dialogue is in Cloud's mind.

Yeah I kinda realised that, but it doesn't really suit that part of the story. Either way, it's putting him in parts of the game where he wasn't before, and kinda ruining the reveal for later on in the Shinra HQ climax. IMO they are doing this because otherwise he wouldn't really be in this game (the first part) at all - you don't even "see" Sephiroth in the PS1 version until the flashback scenes in Kalm after the Midgar escape. For me this is a mistake because there's way more to the FF7 story than "Sephiroth bad, Cloud must kill", and it'll really shit on the pacing and mystique of Sephiroth as the games go on if they blow their load on the character by showing too much him too early on.

1 hour ago, SkyMason said:

Yeah I kinda realised that, but it doesn't really suit that part of the story. Either way, it's putting him in parts of the game where he wasn't before, and kinda ruining the reveal for later on in the Shinra HQ climax. IMO they are doing this because otherwise he wouldn't really be in this game (the first part) at all - you don't even "see" Sephiroth in the PS1 version until the flashback scenes in Kalm after the Midgar escape. For me this is a mistake because there's way more to the FF7 story than "Sephiroth bad, Cloud must kill", and it'll really shit on the pacing and mystique of Sephiroth as the games go on if they blow their load on the character by showing too much him too early on.

Well considering that it is jenova disguised as sephiroth until you see his real body in the northern crater makes less sense to shoehorn him in there now 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As much as I would love that awesome looking steel case, I highly doubt I'll be pre-ordering this... I still have too many doubts about how it's going to turn out, also I don't want to end up having to spend $200 on a game set which should really only be a single game. ? I'm sure they'll release some kinda trilogy set once it's complete... you know, at least by 2030 (hopefully), I'd sooner just wait for that. :hmm:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lance_87 said:

So now every character has its own model when in Frog status? Holy ****.

We see Don Corneo but not cross-dressing Cloud though... at least there are those bodybuilders from the gym xD

The summons are awesome!

Looks like summons are playable as well instead of just doing an attack like the original game

Edited by DEI2EK

15 hours ago, Masamune said:

As much as I would love that awesome looking steel case, I highly doubt I'll be pre-ordering this... I still have too many doubts about how it's going to turn out, also I don't want to end up having to spend $200 on a game set which should really only be a single game. 1f611.png I'm sure they'll release some kinda trilogy set once it's complete... you know, at least by 2030 (hopefully), I'd sooner just wait for that. :hmm:

Ya I already preordered mine earlier(regular edition) when at E3 news was everywhere of someone on the dev team saying Part 1 would span midgar and also the world map, and an unspecified amount of the events after midgar.

Either A:It was bad reporting and no dev ever said that.

Or B:They're walking that back

I swore I heard on the live stream they said part 1 would expand past Midgar.

But now I don't remember

And now they're not saying it'll be 2 parts but rather "multiple"(which could still be 2, but likely 3). AND they now say they have no idea themselves what they're doing besides a rough roadmap.

I'll keep the preorder, but if I didn't preorder back after E3 I would probably wait too. The idea of 3 parts/releases over what is likely to be over the next 5-7 years leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

2 parts, ok, I can deal. Likely a 2-3 year wait in between the first and second. Ok I'll play. 

But 3 parts?.... Idk... 

It could never be finished for all we know like that.

The only Final Fantasy that should come out "episodically" is FFXIV which is natural for a MMO.