Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 10, 2020)

So I've successfully been avoiding the datamined stuff, and I've also just finished my first playthrough of FF7 since, you know, there's a big ole remake coming out. I gotta say... How the hell are they gonna tell the rest of this story? Midgar the first time must've taken me 5-6 hours in total (I did use the 3x speed for some parts, sue me), and the MAJORITY of my time in the game was literally everything else. Hell, I think I spent almost 30 hours in disc 2 alone! (Golden Saucer and materia and whatnot) Considering how insane the story gets and how many twists and turns this becomes, should we start hunkering down for Final Fantasy 7-3 at this point? If they can tell the entirety of FF7 on the scale of this game in just two full length games, I'll eat my shoes.

Edited by nrs1nrs1

1 hour ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

So I've successfully been avoiding the datamined stuff, and I've also just finished my first playthrough of FF7 since, you know, there's a big ole remake coming out. I gotta say... How the hell are they gonna tell the rest of this story? Midgar the first time must've taken me 5-6 hours in total (I did use the 3x speed for some parts, sue me), and the MAJORITY of my time in the game was literally everything else. Hell, I think I spent almost 30 hours in disc 2 alone! (Golden Saucer and materia and whatnot) Considering how insane the story gets and how many twists and turns this becomes, should we start hunkering down for Final Fantasy 7-3 at this point? If they can tell the entirety of FF7 on the scale of this game in just two full length games, I'll eat my shoes.

Yeah there's no way they will get it all in just two games. The second part of the game will probably end when Aerith dies and maybe the third game will complete it or will also end off on a cliffhanger but I don't know if there would be an appropriate spot for that. The thing I'm ultimately worried about and I'm sure they will likely do is pad the game out with stuff that may or may not make the game worse. I mainly base this off the FFXV DLC's which I felt made the game retroactively worse with every release and I really don't want them to keep adding in pointless crap just to make the game seem longer.

The thing I'm also wondering about is how they will do the Weapon fights. Not only are they pretty large but there's one you fight in mid-air and the other you fight underwater so I'm curious as to how they will go about with those.

I can't imagine they'll fit everything into two games.  I think a third game is a safe bet, maybe even a fourth.  But I also have to think they'll try and end each release in a satisfying way (ie. make each release its own arc/mostly standalone)... so I'd be surprised if they end any of them on the note of a certain major character dying.  Though that is where the disc ended in the original and is an organic break point so who knows.

And in the same way they're expanding Midgar, they'll probably take creative liberties in telling the rest of the story.  Less critical sections/locations could get cut or reduced to simple cutscenes or winks and nods in side content.  I'm honestly curious if they keep the world map around, if it's a FFXV style open world (it'd have to be a HUGE world), or something more rigid/linear.

EDIT: The fact that a proper open world would need to be absolutely massive to properly support the scale/number/variety of locations in FFVII, might be why things are playing out like this... with FFVIIR being PS4 bound (and probably PS5 remastered) and Midgar focused, and FFVIIR-2 maybe ramping the scale up massively and geared towards better hardware likely a year or two into the PS5's life?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

*insert profanities here*

This is a shame. I was looking forward to the early March release. I was looking forward to getting a good amount of time in before life gets busy. I suppose I'll just have to prioritize this when I have free time and juggle less games.

17 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

It's Square Enix so did we all truly believe in our heart of hearts that the would actually make a release date that they announce months in advance? Not making excuses for them, it's pretty annoying. There is a silver lining to this for me at least- I'm a teacher here in Ireland so we get Easter Holidays for two weeks starting Friday April 3rd, meaning I have a blissful week of doing absolutely nothing before my Soldier 1st Class Edition arrives in the post on the 10th! Delays are annoying, especially so close to the release date, but hopefully it helps to deliver the best possible experience. I am so very, very pumped for this game and I want it to be at its very best!

Blooming hell though, right between the two other games I have pre-ordered- Resident Evil 3 and Cyberpunk! Gonna be a great Easter for me indeed!

Edited by Stan Lee

7 minutes ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Well, shit. Right between Resident Evil 3 (April 3rd) and Cyberpunk 2077 (April 16th).

Not a big deal, though. I'm fully prepared to rearrange my life around FF VII. :D

For me personally atleasy, add Nioh 2 (March 13th) Doom Eternal (March 20th) and anyone can see the wallet is gonna take a beating for a few weeks there. But atleast the time until summer is gonna fly by

I really want to look forward to this, and I was for the longest time, but I've just been getting less and less hyped ever since they announced it would be in multiple parts.

I love FF7, it was my first Final Fantasy game, and still my favourite. A remake/re-imagining is great, but I'd rather have the full game, personally. I don't even care any more if we have to wait several more years, I'd rather just have one full game than it split over several different games. I know that obviously isn't happening now, and I will definitely still be getting this eventually, just don't know if it'll be at launch any more. I'll likely just wait till all the "parts" are out, maybe they'll even release a complete box-set with all the games once it's finished.

I've kinda disliked the direction the series has taken since 10, just about every game I've played after that has been disappointing. I've only just gotten around to the 13 trilogy again after dropping it at launch years ago, and the first game at least was just so insanely boring. I just hope that the FF7 remake rekindles some spark of what I used to love about the series for me. I got a feeling I may be in the minority here, but that's just me; I personally don't have high hopes for this series any more, as much as I'd like to.