Anyone else dissapointed that there were no "spoiler" element in this episode? Spoiler!

So was anyone else dissapointed that there were no supernatural element in this episode?

When i found out that Josh or whatever his name was wasn't the killer, but that there were wendigos in Until Dawn it blew my mind. In this i just got somewhat dissapointed that the only thing that made everything look scary was a chemical weapon. 

At least Little Hope looks better, hopefully witches or something of the sort.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quink666 said:

So was anyone else dissapointed that there were no supernatural element in this episode?

When i found out that Josh or whatever his name was wasn't the killer, but that there were wendigos in Until Dawn it blew my mind. In this i just got somewhat dissapointed that the only thing that made everything look scary was a chemical weapon. 

Yeah i was kinda disappointed.  They should have at least tried to insinuate that there could have been a supernatural presence or make it unclear(could be a combination of both etc depending on the clues you find or something). Personally thought the game was terrible and am going to wait for reviews before picking up little hope.

Edited by abhinandhan22

I liked the twist too, it was unexpected and my understanding of what happened changed the course of my subsequent playthroughs. Instead of movies like Ghost Ship or Triangle, it ended up being more like Jacob's Ladder on a boat.

Speaking of which, did anybody think there was going to be a time travel element in it at one point? There is a section where Julia keeps saying "we've been here before" (even though we clearly haven't) which made me think something was amiss. And then that chapter "Echoes" where Brad keeps wandering down the same hallway made me think he was caught in some sort of time loop (kind of like P.T.). And that scene with Fliss in the red ballroom really made me think of The Shining. There's a lot of directions the game could have gone, but I don't mind this interpretation much (even though it makes the game less scary).

I hope they take all future installments in a new direction too, kind of like American Horror Story. Really looking forward to Little Hope and the return of the curator.

• Like 3

I for one enjoyed it immensely. I was a tad bit shocked that they were not ghosts. That everything is from that chemical. I am just happy they made another game. And, Little Hope looks great so far from what I have seen. I heard that they want to release a game like this at least two a year. I am all for that. Day one buy for me. I would like a sequel for Until Dawn though... and I don't mean that supposed sequel and prequel for the VR

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sealightbreeze said:

I for one enjoyed it immensely. I was a tad bit shocked that they were not ghosts. That everything is from that chemical. I am just happy they made another game. And, Little Hope looks great so far from what I have seen. I heard that they want to release a game like this at least two a year. I am all for that. Day one buy for me. I would like a sequel for Until Dawn though... and I don't mean that supposed sequel and prequel for the VR

Yeah, it’s called “The Dark Pictures Anthology” for a reason and I am excited for the rest of the Anthology. I kinda see these as Spiritual Successors to Until Dawn. Oh and I played the Until Dawn prequel “The Inpatient”. It’s a good VR game but no way on par with Until Dawn. 

As someone who absolutely loved Until Dawn, I wasn't at all mad at man of medan.  I thought it was a really cool twist that there wasn't actually anything supernatural happening and that the collectibles you pick up give different dialogues from the characters to support that.  All the little background stuff happening was super cool, especially going through a second playthrough and seeing how much I missed in the background from the first time.  The only thing I was a little iffy about was how some characters got to some spots as well as how short the game really felt.  I will say I believe Little Hope is going to have more supernatural elements.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

No, not at all, I’m actually glad they didn’t make it predicable, wasn’t even expecting the direction they went at first, not every horror story needs a supernatural element to it.

No its true not every story needs something supernatural. I just don't find murderers or bio weapon scary in games. IRL i would have shat my pants if i was chased by a killer holding a bio weapon. I just much prefer supernatural elements.

In my  2nd playthrough of Man of Medan i knew that everything i saw on the ship was fake and nothing to be scared of anymore so all the tension dissapeared, making the 6 remaining playthroughs very booring.

23 minutes ago, bud-arc said:

Yup, that's Will Poulter. Looks like they can only afford one big "name" per episode. (Shawn Ashmore was the only person I recognized from this episode, too.)

Yeah, guess the budget is thighter then Until Dawn which had a bunch of "big" names. Still nice to see a recognizable face in each episode.

Edited by Quink666

53 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Yeah, guess the budget is thighter then Until Dawn which had a bunch of "big" names. Still nice to see a recognizable face in each episode.

I think it was because Sony funded the project.

Also I think they wanted to do more of the same, but Sony asked them to develop something else. So hence the possible reason why they left Sony and become third party developer.

8 hours ago, Quink666 said:

No its true not every story needs something supernatural. I just don't find murderers or bio weapon scary in games. IRL i would have shat my pants if i was chased by a killer holding a bio weapon. I just much prefer supernatural elements.

In my  2nd playthrough of Man of Medan i knew that everything i saw on the ship was fake and nothing to be scared of anymore so all the tension dissapeared, making the 6 remaining playthroughs very booring.

I mean you’re wrong, horror stories don’t need some supernatural force, no need to just say the opposite of what I say, just to be a contrarian.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

9 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

I mean you’re wrong, horror stories don’t need some supernatural force, no need to just say the opposite of what I say, just to be a contrarian.

Read what i wrote again....... "No its true not every story needs something supernatural" 

Im not saying the contrary, when im saying that you are right, not every story needs something supernatural.

But you can call an opinion wrong if you like, even if it agrees with you. thats the thing about opinions, everyone got them.

Edited by Quink666

26 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Read what i wrote again....... "No its true not every story needs something supernatural" 

Im not saying the contrary, when im saying that you are right, not every story needs something supernatural.

But you can call an opinion wrong if you like, even if it agrees with you. thats the thing about opinions, everyone got them.

Lol I’m pretty sure you edited the comment after I said that to try to make me look stupid. I could have misread it I suppose aswell. Sorry if that’s the case.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

7 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol I’m pretty sure you edited the comment after I said that to try to make me look stupid. I could have misread it I suppose aswell. 

My post was edited Edited 8 hours ago by Quink666

Yours was written 26 minutes ago Edited 26 minutes ago by DarkHpokinsn

Its at the bottom of every single comment that has been edited. Nice try though trying to accuse me of editing the comment to make you look stupid. +1

Edited by Quink666

7 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

My post was edited Edited 8 hours ago by Quink666

Yours was written 26 minutes ago Edited 26 minutes ago by DarkHpokinsn

Its at the bottom of every single comment that has been edited. Nice try though trying to accuse me of editing the comment to make you look stupid. +1

Lol good lord man, give me a break, I didn’t see the time difference. My mistake, happens sometimes, sorry. 

Just now, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol good lord man, give me a break, I didn’t see the time difference. My mistake, happens sometimes, sorry. 

Np, just dont feel like beeing accused of trying to manipulate stuff. But nevermind shit happens and english is my 3rd language so it might not have been as clear as i may have wanted in the comment, maybe shouldn't have started the sentence with a "No".  

3 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Np, just dont feel like beeing accused of trying to manipulate stuff. But nevermind shit happens and english is my 3rd language so it might not have been as clear as i may have wanted in the comment, maybe shouldn't have started the sentence with a "No".  

Ah ok, I got ya. Just a little misunderstanding. 

I guess some people have never seen Tales From The Crypt, a lot of the stories, even the 1st episode had zero supernatural elements to it. I see the Curator like the Crypt Keeper, also Little Hope and the other 2 future games, may or may not be supernatural of some sort, doesn't matter to me, this game was pretty good.

• Like 4

I thought a lot of the scenes had more meaning once you discover that it was all just a hallucinogenic chemical. It wasn't just like a typical hooded figure tries to kill you trope. It really makes you re-evaluate all the choices you made in a different way with how the game slyly reveals who was where, like when Fliss says she was chasing Conrad and it changes your whole perspective of the earlier chase scene, or when (in my case) Brad mysteriously turns up dead but then you remember as Fliss that you stabbed that hooded figure, etc. 

Edited by igs63
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have to say while I really enjoyed Man of Medan, I can't help but feel disappointed. The atmosphere in this game was fucking amazing and creepy as shit, but it was just such a major let down when I found out it was just some chemical that made them hallucinate. While horror is one of the most subjective genres, I personally get way more terrified if horror is based around the supernatural. Knowing now that everything they're experiencing for the most part isn't really happening, it takes away the suspense and scare of everything in the game. 

I feel it was a huge missed opportunity to not play on ambiguity, to mess with the players minds. Make us question if everything was happening cause it was the chemical or something more sinister was at work. Leave us and the characters (if they survive) never really knowing. I think that would have been more terrifying and interesting. 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aea35befed4dee16edd

Edited by FireFoxie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2019 at 0:31 AM, Quink666 said:

I just got done and I actually thought there was a Supernatural element to it but you really have to dig deep and deconstruct some scenes and logs. I'm convinced that there is actually something on the ship with them, but it doesn't seem to be hostile and its appearance is horrific enough to provoke the same heart stopping symptoms that the hallucinations demonstrate. Something is legit roaming around and its sustaining itself on the bodies of the rats on the ship.

Spoiler

There are points where we see stuff that aren't the hallucinations of the individuals and hints that something has been living on the ship.

Present day stuff:

There is one part where Fliss and Danny are walking down a corridor and the camera pans back to reveal a hand on the wall which rapidly pulls away, making no sound. This wasn't a hallucination as the only people witnessing it were us as the player.

One of the coffins contains a two headed humanoid creature. The coffins themselves were pretty much all also chained shut bar the one they open. As everyone in the room witnesses it. There is also a weird smaller coffin which isn't explained. I'm pretty sure the paperwork stating that it was a group of soldiers is bogus and what they were transporting something else experimental along with the gas. Or at the least, something experimental with the bodies of the soldiers to mask it.

We find a kitchen that has fresh gore and bits of rats in it in one cupboard - it's the only place you see any actual meat/fresh gore. It's not a hallucination because anyone who is involved in the scene sees it. It could be some visual evidence of the creature's food store.

There is a room during the part just before where Bradley has the chance to grab the gas mask where about 7 soldiers are all clumped together on the floor looking towards the door where they all appear to have died of fright. Based on the rules of this hallucinogen - everyone has a hallucination independent of each other, it's pretty unlikely that they all shared the same hallucination. I'd theorize that both this group and the sailor all saw the creature/thing and their hearts gave out because of the gas in their systems. 

1941 stuff

There was also a Chinese scientist on board which was given diplomatic immunity to share all of his research as a price, which could theoretically back the above up. This apparently happened alot during that period of war for real.

There is also a part at the very beginning in the 1941 segment where the communications officer is trying to get a message out to ask for help. The door opens behind him and we see a silhouette of a humanoid creature with 4 arms. This isn't the sailors hallucination because we see it before he does.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I usually scoff, initially, at people who claim they knew "whodunit" within the first hour of the game. (Heavy Rain, etc.) It's usually bullshit or they had someone spoil it for them.

However, with this game, you can easily guess very fast what's going on. In fact, it's rather frustrating to see the cast just not getting what's going on long after you've already put the puzzle together. There are even documents you find early on that tell you it's a hallucinogenic gas, yet the idiots in-game are still looking at each other with random facial expressions wondering what's causing them to see two-headed mushroom people.

Besides that, I have a love-hate relationship with the more scientific aspect. The problem is that any threat you overcome or endure becomes null and void once you find out that the thread was imaginary. Thinking about how you were scared of the monster in your closet as a child is silly now that you know it was never really true, and part of the horror experience is being able to look back and reminisce about how something legitimately felt frightening—your only respite is that you're no longer in that frightening situation (but it's still out there, or could happen again). Imagine if the closet monster was real but dad defeated it. That still makes it frightening to think back at a later day because what if dad hadn't? Was it the only monster? Could it happen again? This game takes that away by making it finite; it's fake.

I feel like the setting would've easily allowed for a more supernatural experience. Or make it a twist where the gas is still present but there is also a real supernatural threat, causing you to truly never know if the monster you see is real or not, though it very well could be. I don't have a legitimate alternative, but I do know that the game became 0% scary for me once I figured out it was just in their heads.