Activision Criticizes "Immature, Whiny @holes" Who Threaten CoD Developers

Bullstomp

http://www.gamespot.com/news/activision-criticises-immature-whiny-aholes-who-threaten-cod-devs-6411980

Activision patches CoD: BO2 and nerfs a few weapons.next thing you know the developers are being threatened. Now thats insane. BUT based on my experience playing CoD multiplayer its totally believable.

Activision criticises "immature, whiny @**holes" who threaten CoD devs
July 24, 2013 8:21AM PDT

Activision community manager Dan Amrich criticises Black Ops II players sending threats of violence to Treyarch developers following Black Ops II patch.

Activision community manager Dan Amrich has appealed to members of the Call of Duty community who verbally insult and threaten its developers over social media.

codblops2_43678_embed.jpg

Amrich's blog post stems from the fallout following the game's latest balance patch, which reduced the rate of fire on the DSR 50 and Ballista and nerfed the damage on the AN-94.

Following the balance changes, Treyarch studio design director David Vonderhaar--one of the most recognisable faces at the studio--took to Twitter to say that the changes weren't worth the threats of violence he was receiving.

"The DSR fire time was 0.2 seconds. It's now 0.4 seconds," he said. "The rechamber time was 1.0 seconds. It's now 1.1 seconds.""Not sure these fractions of seconds are worth the threats of violence," added Vonderhaar.

Writing on his blog, Amrich said that Vonderhaar "often gets told he should die in a fire or kill himself or is a horrible person. If anybody thinks for a second that this is okay, it is not. But if the loudest voices in the Call of Duty 'community' act like an angry mob instead, guess how the entire world views Call of Duty? Now consider that these Internet Tough Guy rants and demands are not unique to COD, but exist everywhere, in many gaming communities. This is why the world often does not take gaming seriously; this is why gamers are assumed to be immature, whiny a**holes. Because the immature, whiny a**holes are louder."

"The fact that [Vonderhaar] focuses on the useful feedback, puts that intel to good use fixing the problem, and doesn’t irrationally lash out at the immature, whiny assholes is amazing."

"Role-play this for a second. When you make a mistake--because you do, we all do--or someone finds something wrong with something that you created, whether it be a meal or driving instructions or even a blog post, how would you prefer to find out that there is an issue? Would you like someone to just say 'hey, I noticed this and I think it’s not quite right; are you seeing what I see?' Or would you react better to having someone scream in your face that since your mother didn't have an abortion, you should commit suicide instead? This is not the way to show a developer that what they do matters to you. Not at all."

"If you enjoy your games, have a little respect for the people who make them--and stop threatening them with bodily harm every time they do their job."

I agree with everything he is saying. The vocal minority that do this bullshit, and they are by no means limited to CoD fans, are making the rest of us look like idiots and make gaming in general look like a hobby for children. I'm glad someone is finally saying something though even though I'm sure this thread is just going to get spun into a CoD/Activision hate thread instead of discussing the actual problem here.

Parker 

• Like 4

I don't understand why people feel like they're so damn entitled to everything and complain whenever things are changed, even slightly.  Don't like it? Go read a book or watch a movie.  Seriously, people are in the business to create entertainment for people like you, and you throw it in their face? Must be children/man-children.  Makes all of us look bad.

I agree with him 100%

The minortiy that do this crap is making other gamers look bad :angry:

The gamers that say these stupid stuff are not real gamers,they're just looking for something to hate at.

I'm glad he's finally said something about these d-bags.

I think they should ban these players for making death threats to the Dev.

The other day i saw a kid being arrested cause he said on the internet that's "he was going to a school shoot some children" (quote). I believe Treyarch guys should follow up with this threats and report it to the police.

He has a commitment to deliver the best game possible, and he believes that he does that.

It's a minority who doesn't represent the large amount of CoD fans around the world.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people feel like they're so damn entitled to everything and complain whenever things are changed, even slightly.  Don't like it? Go read a book or watch a movie.  Seriously, people are in the business to create entertainment for people like you, and you throw it in their face? Must be children/man-children.  Makes all of us look bad.

I blame the entitlement society we have today.

Some gamers think they're entitled have games they want,not what everyone else wants.

Game Dev are in the business of making money & creating entertainment for gamers.

It is a real shame that people react like this especially to a virtual change in their life.... Its not real, its not tangible it has no effect on their lives what so ever, yet they feel ENTITLED to voice their outcry with death threats?? Nuts!! the game dev twitter account holders should report the usernames to the police and teach these punks a lesson.

Also to add it is my belief that so called gamers that do this have never been laid before and most likely never will....

Yeah this happens , it's funny how Cod players fell their entitled to something lol 

Anyway this is no big deal , it happens all the time .

I disagree, when you threaten real violence over something virtual, there is something wrong here. Its actually scary that you feel it isn't a big deal. I actually agree with the punishment that they gave the kid who made the terrible threat in "League of Legends", that kind of comment is neither witty, funny or appreciated.

• Like 1

I disagree, when you threaten real violence over something virtual, there is something wrong here. Its actually scary that you feel it isn't a big deal. I actually agree with the punishment that they gave the kid who made the terrible threat in "League of Legends", that kind of comment is neither witty, funny or appreciated.

If you play COD as much as i do , you'll see that people threaten people over something virtual all the time , it is without a doubt wrong ! 

i don't feel it's a big deal because nothing will ever be done by any of these players 

And while i do agree that the kid ''league of legends'' should have been punished , the way it was done was wrong and the punishment was way too grave 

people say stuff like that on the internet all the time , it's unfortunate that they chose him to make an example .

• Like 1

This kind of behaviour should not be tolerated by any means. If developers do not react to this it will only get worse ... Removing the culprits from their servers is a step in the right direction, but it doesn't have to stop there. I wonder how the parents would react to the threats uttered by their childeren should they recieve a copy?

I think it's pathetic. utterly pathetic.

"Oh no, my gun fires 0.2% slower all of a sudden. RRRAAAAGGGEEE!! How dare they, they'll pay for this. They should die horribly for even THINKING about doing this incredibly unspeakably evil act... GIVE ME BACK MY 0.2%!!!"

People like this should have their Xbox's/PS3's/PC's etc, confiscated permanently. They don't deserve to play these games if they act like this. And then they wonder why people have such a negative view of gamers?

Edited by ShadowGandalf

Who is the target audience for the COD games?... granted some people enjoy the games but most of them are immature whiny assholes, what did they expect?.. im not at all suprised they're losing their little minds over a little patch. I agree with everyone here in saying they need to be dealt with.

Who is the target audience for the COD games?... granted some people enjoy the games but most of them are immature whiny assholes, what did they expect?.. im not at all suprised they're losing their little minds over a little patch. I agree with everyone here in saying they need to be dealt with.

most of them? where did you get this info? I believe you made an unfortunate comment.

Everyone here agrees that this kind of behavior should be dealt with, and this is a behavior of a minority, not representative of an entire base of game fans around the world. Don't think this represents an entire or most, like said before, base of fans, cause it don't.

I fail to see why people would threaten bodily harm on someone over such minor changes, I'm not a big fan of CoD (because I suck at FPS), but this makes not just the CoD community look bad, but the entire gaming community as a whole. It's because of this loud-mouthed, whiny minority that non-gamers see gaming in a bad light. I'm glad that a developer was finally willing to speak out about this portion of the gaming community who think they are entitled to everything that they want, and think that making threats to others is acceptable.

Source? If you're going to make claims like that then I'd love to see your evidence backing it up. The vast majority of people I've met on CoD are just like most other gamers, but the vocal minority are the fucksticks they are talking about in this article. 

Parker

• Like 1

The community on Call of Duty is horrendous, the snipers in the game deserved to be patched. People are just upset that they won't be able to hit that shot easier for their next montage. Death threats over this is just hilariously sad, but it sums up the COD community in a nut shell.

You seem to believe this is a trait exclusive of the CoD community, have you forgotten the death threats made the Mass Effect and Devil May Cry players to the corresponding developers?

Also, I believe the whole problem is the sense of security you have when badmouthing online, people aren't afraid of being a-holes when there is no risk of getting your butt kicked. I understand that receiving death threats must not be a funny thing, but come on the internet is full of those people and we shouldn't give them more importance that they deserve. 

Source? If you're going to make claims like that then I'd love to see your evidence backing it up. The vast majority of people I've met on CoD are just like most other gamers, but the vocal minority are the fucksticks they are talking about in this article. 

Parker

Don't need a source for that, its quite evident when you're playing online with randoms. Half of them are screaming their little dicks off. If you obviously play amongst your friends and the general COD community who just want to play the game for fun, you're going to enjoy it. My point is that even if it is a few people who mess around it still ruins the fun. 

I just don't know why they need to say such things, I myself play COD MP but I don't get what the Trashtalk is for. I also liked Talking trash before but I don't like to do it anymore. Maybe we jokingly trashtalk with my friends but only yo my friends and jokingly which all of us do.

Surprised ? No - however it's good to see someone is less worried about sales and more worried about respect for their employees. And I'd agree those people can very easily be defined as assholes, in fact for most of them that sounds pretty sweet to what I'd call them if I said what can go through my mind ...

Unfortunately, this is what happens when immature people are allowed to play 'competitive' games with no real sense of rules, etc. All of a sudden you change something and someone can't get his epeen high enough and get very aggravated. The fact it makes it fairer has nothing to do with it ... I'm not against competition, far from it, but why do you think most competitions have judges/referees/etc ?

Is there any reason for them not to shout out whatever obscenities they feel like ? no, because they will never be punished either way.

For those that say this is normal, nothing to see here, 99% chance they won't do anything, you live in a very sordid world.