Xbox Series X

fbdbh

Forza, Halo and Flight simulator all looked stunning (I have just pre-installed Flight simulator).

Disappointed with no showing of Fable, Senua or State of Decay 3.

The mid part of the show lost me, I thought Battlefield looked total pants and not enough adult themed games, at least what I would call adult themed.

Stalker 2 looked a tad disappointing from the hype I had been reading.

Didnt quite understand why they showed Sea of Thieves, I hoped they was about to announce an offline single player version but no.

Overall because of the 3 games I mentioned in my first line looked so good I will rate the event a 7/10, could have been so much better but at least it was miles better than what Sony put together :)

Edited by Japanime_Gamer
  • Like 1

I just finished Super Mario Sunshine on the Series X through Dolphin/Retroarch. Fun times.

Remember, $20 will buy you the Devkit mode and opens up allot of extra uses, mainly ps1/ps2 and PSP games but gamecube runs really well as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno if there's a better place to ask this, but any Xbox owners know of any tricks to get a lot of Xbox Live Gold relatively cheap?

I hear you can convert 3 years of Gold to Game Pass for $15 (the cost of 1 month of Game Pass) as long as you aren't currently a Game Pass subscriber, which mine expired like 4 months ago.  Seems pretty easy to get a year of Gold for $60, so I could stack 3 years for $180 (converted to Game Pass is a solid deal) but I'd like to try to do a little better than that.  Does 12-months of Gold ever go on sale?

Picking up my Series X tomorrow. ;)

EDIT: I did manage to find some deals on 12-month codes, and upped my Xbox Live Gold for 3 years.  Then converted it all to 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for $15.  Doing the math, I'll have Game Pass the next 3 years for about $4.50/month and saved about $250 or so avoiding buying Game Pass directly.  Pretty cool.

I still have a pretty strong distaste for digital/subscription services vs my physical collection... but that's a deal that's tough to ignore with a Series X on the way.  It'll be good for getting into first party Xbox games day one, and playing through multiplatform games before buying physically/waiting for sales, or trying games I otherwise didn't intend to buy.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 03/07/2021 at 3:03 PM, Dreakon13 said:

EDIT: I did manage to find some deals on 12-month codes, and upped my Xbox Live Gold for 3 years.  Then converted it all to 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for $15.  Doing the math, I'll have Game Pass the next 3 years for about $4.50/month and saved about $250 or so avoiding buying Game Pass directly.  Pretty cool.

I still have a pretty strong distaste for digital/subscription services vs my physical collection... but that's a deal that's tough to ignore with a Series X on the way.  It'll be good for getting into first party Xbox games day one, and playing through multiplatform games before buying physically/waiting for sales, or trying games I otherwise didn't intend to buy.

That's awesome! Enjoy your new console. 
I'm personally waiting for more stock available for Xbox Series X so I can pick up one for free with store bonuses (the same we did with PS4 Pro and our launch model Switch). Until that happens I'm playing through the Game Pass for PC offerings. I wish Quick Resume was a thing on PC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 10:03 PM, Dreakon13 said:

I dunno if there's a better place to ask this, but any Xbox owners know of any tricks to get a lot of Xbox Live Gold relatively cheap?

I hear you can convert 3 years of Gold to Game Pass for $15 (the cost of 1 month of Game Pass) as long as you aren't currently a Game Pass subscriber, which mine expired like 4 months ago.  Seems pretty easy to get a year of Gold for $60, so I could stack 3 years for $180 (converted to Game Pass is a solid deal) but I'd like to try to do a little better than that.  Does 12-months of Gold ever go on sale?

I also have 3 years membership done in a similar way. The Gamepass is excellent for trying games out that you might not normally do.

Fever is rising.

Flight simulator is just 12 days away along with DX11. The most recent videos for that look absolutely breath taking.

Not looking for bait, or hate but I have seen Forza Horizon 5 on series X and also the next Gran Turismo on PS5 (the same videos that weve all seen) and I must be honest with you, 1 of them looks photo realistic and jaw dropping whilst the other just looks like a high res arcade racer.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Like the Xbox One before it, my Xbox Series X seems to just be my "NHL 21 and the occasional coop game with my Xbox owning friend" machine for now.

Microsoft Flight Simulator didn't do as much for me as I was hoping it would, I bailed probably halfway through the training courses because it was getting legitimately difficult to finish (sometimes I swear I was doing exactly what it asked me to and it still restarted) and I wasn't really having fun with it anymore.  Maybe just normal flights are more relaxing and fun but my interest tanked pretty quickly.

Twelve Minutes was interesting but a little too point and click adventure for my blood, and all the quirks that comes with it. Dialog was a bit inorganic despite the talent behind it. Numerous loop breaking glitches, and I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to get to the conclusion on my own.

The Ascent was pretty cool but my friend and I had to stop because every session ended with his machine crashing. Very glitchy game.

Maybe I'll get into some of these Game Pass games more once I'm done with this endless struggle that is finishing Final Fantasy XIV's 1000 hour campaign (as much as there is to finish at least).  At the moment though, there haven't been many that piqued my curiosity, and those that have were all pretty meh. It's cool I get to try this stuff out for a reasonable price but at some point I'm more interested in playing fun high quality games, than saving money.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Oh no. Missed the announcement for a limited edition Halo Infinite Series X console and now they're already sold out in Microsoft Store. The console and controller both look really good. https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/consoles/xbox-series-x/halo-infinite-limited-edition

People already listing them for over $1000+ on ebay. Scalpers suck

I am still playing Xbox 360's burnout revenge on the XBSX. In fact it's safe to say it's my preferred console in comparison to the PS5 for a few reasons. Updates are regular, the Elite series 2 is probably my favorite controller, the BC is how it should be. So mainly this is hardware based,,,,,,,,,,,,

However, the library on playstation is more to my liking and that's more important then anything else. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The game does look fun, and it does look like they changed some stuff, filled the environment with more detail, etc. But I still noticed a graphical glitch - the lighting on the top right at 1:25. Come on, 343, how did no one see it?

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gonna ask here since this is one for few forums I am signed up to. 

Scenario - PS5 and LG CX Instant game response works fine. In normal 60Hz output and 120Hz. Including HDR 

My Series X I got last week however

- does not like it when I try to use Dolby HDR for games

- does not like when I try to enable IGR/ALLM mode on the HDMI port (any hdmi port really for the Xbox). 

Every time I do this , signal from the cable. Turn off Dobly HDr and ALLM it's okay. 

Any ideas? Since it means rn I cannot enable VRR on the Xbox. 

On 12/12/2021 at 1:15 PM, AndyKazama said:

Gonna ask here since this is one for few forums I am signed up to. 

Scenario - PS5 and LG CX Instant game response works fine. In normal 60Hz output and 120Hz. Including HDR 

My Series X I got last week however

- does not like it when I try to use Dolby HDR for games

- does not like when I try to enable IGR/ALLM mode on the HDMI port (any hdmi port really for the Xbox). 

Every time I do this , signal from the cable. Turn off Dobly HDr and ALLM it's okay. 

Any ideas? Since it means rn I cannot enable VRR on the Xbox. 

Would this article be of any help with your HDR issue? https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-hdr-xbox-series-x-series-s-popular-tvs

19 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Would this article be of any help with your HDR issue? https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-hdr-xbox-series-x-series-s-popular-tvs

Cheers for the link. ??

I did manage to resolve issue. In my infinite wisdom I forget to try powering the TV off at the plug which resolved it. 

It's weird tho. My Xbox controller in 120fps with instant game response still doesn't feel as responsive as my ps5 controller. 

• 5 months later...

The showcase was 3/5 for me.

Kojima confirmed he's partnered with Xbox, didn't show anything.

Redfall and Starfield looked underwhelming to me.

Diablo 4 is cool, but not for me.

Persona 3-5 - great announcement.

Forza 8 - looks cool, probably a highlight for me, although they spent too much time on it.

The Last Case Of Benedict Fox looked interesting as well as some other indies.

At least it's cool that most of the things they've shown are supposed to come out in the next 12 months. Xbox really needed some games on the pipeline, because the last two years weren't great.

Edited by Slava

• 3 weeks later...

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I thought I was a PlayStation-only guy, but boy was I wrong...

I actually started out with multi-console: Xbox 360 and PS3. The few exclusives that interested me (Quantum Break, Forza Horizon series) couldn't convince me enough, so I went PS4 only. And I fully expected to go PS5 only again. In part because the PS5 is hard to buy and the ongoing rumors about the release of a PS5 Pro next year, I was once again tempted (after seeing Forza Horizon 5 footage) and bought a second-hand Xbox One S. And now I am screwed ?

Forget exclusives. It is just utterly wonderful to have the ability to replay older games that run & look better than ever. Without having to pay again for a remastered version or anything. I mean, Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (Xbox 360), Max Payne 1 & 2 (OG XBOX), I love it. Played Forza Horizon 1, which has been optimized for 4K/60fps and it is gorgeous!! I just... wow. I never expected this. I expected to just play those few games and that's it, stick to PS4 otherwise. But I got Game Pass Ultimate, saw all the goodies and it just... doesn't compute, haha! I returned the second-hand Xbox One S and managed to buy the Xbox Series X. It is just amazing.

I also have PlayStation Plus Extra, and I look forward to playing GoT, Miles Morales and stuff, but this is literally a whole other league. I will definitely stay multi-console now and I'll probably grab the PS5 Pro when it is ever released, but given my situation of Xbox Series X + PS3/PS4, I might very well end up making the Xbox my main console and the other two my consoles for exclusives or for my backlog (which is huge). In other words: I am finally looking to get away from my unhealthy trophy hunting addiction and focus on having fun playing, wherever the game is available.

EDIT: I love the Series X so much that I’m now really struggling to play things again on my PS4… it just feels so sluggish and whatever game I launch, that thing is like a jet engine roaring (while my Series X is completely silent, no matter what I play). Perhaps it would be different if I also had a PS5, but I don’t. I have a huge backlog on my PS4, but I also have Game Pass Ultimate, which is the equivalent of a never ending backlog. I’m already re-buying some stuff for cheap for the Xbox that was on my PS4 backlog.

I think I will actually take a break from PlayStation and just wait to return to my backlog (whatever I haven’t played on Xbox by then) when I can finally buy a PS5 (preferably a Pro) without having to jump through ridiculous hoops. I’ll retire the PS4 then (not the PS3). I’ll let PlayStation Plus Extra lapse. It is nothing compared to Game Pass.

Never thought I’d say that ?

Edited by Sifferino
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/xbox/xbox-will-host-developer_direct-games-show-with-arkane-bethesda-and-more-this-month

Jez Corden reports that Xbox will have its own "Direct" this month with Redfall, Minecraft Legends, Forza Motorsport, and content from ZeniMax Online Studios. 

Edited by Slava

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 10:39 AM, Sifferino said:

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I thought I was a PlayStation-only guy, but boy was I wrong...

I actually started out with multi-console: Xbox 360 and PS3. The few exclusives that interested me (Quantum Break, Forza Horizon series) couldn't convince me enough, so I went PS4 only. And I fully expected to go PS5 only again. In part because the PS5 is hard to buy and the ongoing rumors about the release of a PS5 Pro next year, I was once again tempted (after seeing Forza Horizon 5 footage) and bought a second-hand Xbox One S. And now I am screwed 1f602.png

Forget exclusives. It is just utterly wonderful to have the ability to replay older games that run & look better than ever. Without having to pay again for a remastered version or anything. I mean, Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (Xbox 360), Max Payne 1 & 2 (OG XBOX), I love it. Played Forza Horizon 1, which has been optimized for 4K/60fps and it is gorgeous!! I just... wow. I never expected this. I expected to just play those few games and that's it, stick to PS4 otherwise. But I got Game Pass Ultimate, saw all the goodies and it just... doesn't compute, haha! I returned the second-hand Xbox One S and managed to buy the Xbox Series X. It is just amazing.

I also have PlayStation Plus Extra, and I look forward to playing GoT, Miles Morales and stuff, but this is literally a whole other league. I will definitely stay multi-console now and I'll probably grab the PS5 Pro when it is ever released, but given my situation of Xbox Series X + PS3/PS4, I might very well end up making the Xbox my main console and the other two my consoles for exclusives or for my backlog (which is huge). In other words: I am finally looking to get away from my unhealthy trophy hunting addiction and focus on having fun playing, wherever the game is available.

EDIT: I love the Series X so much that I’m now really struggling to play things again on my PS4… it just feels so sluggish and whatever game I launch, that thing is like a jet engine roaring (while my Series X is completely silent, no matter what I play). Perhaps it would be different if I also had a PS5, but I don’t. I have a huge backlog on my PS4, but I also have Game Pass Ultimate, which is the equivalent of a never ending backlog. I’m already re-buying some stuff for cheap for the Xbox that was on my PS4 backlog.

I think I will actually take a break from PlayStation and just wait to return to my backlog (whatever I haven’t played on Xbox by then) when I can finally buy a PS5 (preferably a Pro) without having to jump through ridiculous hoops. I’ll retire the PS4 then (not the PS3). I’ll let PlayStation Plus Extra lapse. It is nothing compared to Game Pass.

Never thought I’d say that 1f622.png

It's funny to re-read what I wrote just a few months ago. Update: I got myself a PS5 too, within a few weeks of getting the Xbox Series X. But the status quo remains: the XSX is now my main console and my PS5 is my secondary console for occassional use. I mainly used it to play some PS4 games, but to be honest I haven't used it for more than a few hours in total. I haven't used it in weeks now, while my XSX is used every single day. Weird how that happened. The only PS5 game I am interested in right now is Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart.

46 minutes ago, Sifferino said:

It's funny to re-read what I wrote just a few months ago. Update: I got myself a PS5 too, within a few weeks of getting the Xbox Series X. But the status quo remains: the XSX is now my main console and my PS5 is my secondary console for occassional use. I mainly used it to play some PS4 games, but to be honest I haven't used it for more than a few hours in total. I haven't used it in weeks now, while my XSX is used every single day. Weird how that happened. The only PS5 game I am interested in right now is Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart.

I'm in the same boat. Ever since I bought XSX I barely touched my PS5. Except Tekken 7, the only time I used it was the last 3 days, replaying RE7 and now Life is Strange. Granted, that's mostly because there are tons of games on Gamepass that I haven't played and I assume I'll go back to PS5 as my main console when (or if) I get back to "hunting" trophies and I run out of "not yet played XSX games. But who knows really, if I won't start missing trophies at some point, I do see the possibility of Xbox becoming my main console long term. 

Love the Series X and it is where I buy my games in general but I'm kind of fed up with Game Pass to be honest. There are some gems and high quality new releases but in general, it leads to me playing worse games simply because they are free. I should be spending time with my backlog which consists of games I have decided to play rather than play whatever Microsoft decides to put on the service this month. This problem is definitely in parts because I'm not new to Xbox and had the Xbox One as my main system last gen so I've already played all the good older Game Pass titles. I expect to be more positive to the service as Microsoft's studios start pumping out more games but right now I'm not using it much and the games I do decide to play are often 6 or 7/10 games which I play because they are "free" and I have to get around to them before an expiration date. 

I definitely understand why people who didn't main Xbox last gen are absolutely loving it though and I was there myself a few years ago.

That's also a reason why you aren't overwhelmed by greatness on PS+ Extra, you are used to the PS ecosystem and have played its best games.