Crowns- Venting

Sorry boys but I've gotta get this out there:

Fuck this.

I've killed almost 100 Black Diablos, measured far more than that (I'd say I fight around 1 in 4), and still haven't gotten the giant crown. This was the first monster that I started sniping for outside the event quests that Capcom randomly decided wouldn't cover all monsters, and on-and-off months later I'm still doing this. 

This is the most egregious waste of a player's time I've ever seen in a video game. Capcom literally does NOTHING to make this acceptable. No empirical way to measure monsters, no way to properly increase the chances of a crown, they literally expect you to spend hundreds of hours of your life in loading screens as you go into a map, try to measure the monster, then either leave or waste subsequent hours fighting only to be disappointed at the results screen. 

I hate giving up. I've never backed down from something because it's 'too difficult' but this is just a straight-up waste of life. I spent the last 2 days, long play sessions, working on this and have made absolutely 0 progress anywhere, and then the cheeky pricks think that it'd be a good idea to make you do it all over again in the DLC? Fuck. No. Especially when something close to half of the 'NEW' monsters are just bare-faced reskins of Vanilla monsters. 

This was my favourite game of 2018, it's one of the few on my card that I haven't managed to platinum but this is just not good for me at this point.

• Like 3

While crowns in the base game were something of a chore, I seemingly got fairly lucky with the ones that didn't have event quests, generally able to just back up my save and spam the same few investigations and was able to get stuff like Black Diablos in the span of a few hours. Spamming through 15-20 spawns by returning to camp and only hitting a long load when I reset the game cut down on quite a bit of time. That said, Iceborne feels like it has a much lower spawn rate for crowns, and most of the monsters that I spammed investigations so I could get parts have netted me no crowns in the process, whereas in the base game I tended to have at least one crown for the elder dragons by the time I was done crafting their weapons.

I saved high rank investigations for the likes of Kirin who I only farmed a mini crown for, but the Iceborne monsters I don't want to bother with at all. The end game is already all over the place. While in the base game, I could hunt crowns and materials at the same time in investigations; the nature of the Guiding Lands has too many exclusive materials while making it more difficult to get rare materials and crowns (at least, I'm under the impression Guiding Lands is worse than investigations for crowns). With the holiday event going on, I'll come back and do some more farming, but Iceborne kept me far less interested due to the way things are setup in the end game, making it difficult to work towards more than a single goal at once.

• Like 1

On 2019-12-19 at 1:51 AM, DaivRules said:

Bitching in a status update is usually enough to appease the RNG gods. Give that a shot too, just for good measure. 

This!

I spent about 2 days on Black Diablos, came here bitching and got it within 4 tries after. Otherwise I totally agree with you, I would much rather have a trophy that said "Kill 100 of every type of Large Monster" than get a single gold crown of every species.

Edited by Misshandlad
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

Ive been farming for the past 3 weeks, and gotten nothing at all, I am about to hit level 200 soon, it is so irritating … I've killed velk and blackveil easily 50 times each and still nothing … while on the other hand I only had to kill ruiner nerg a total of 5 times before I got both large and mini. I've had the best "luck" with the guiding lands.

Got all crowns for base game and icerborne last night, took me an overall 600h to finish it.

Thats because i spent a good amount of time (like 100h or so) farming on guiding lands and safi'jiva event for better equipment.

I got very lucky at some monsters, like kirin, vaal hazak and ruiner nergigante, they only took me about 10 attempts each to get both crowns.

But on the other hand.. kushala daora and nergigante each took me 72 tries for both crowns, which was the highest number of hunts I had to do for a single monster (with sniping and joining randoms).

What I can say is: use and abuse the 'song events" that has higher crown rate for the regular monsters, even if you just need 1 crown for 1 monster, its still worth doing the whole quest, rather than attempting investigations, in my opnion and if you can solo that particular monster, start the quest, kill it and return (Dont abandon) until you get the crown.

There was a point I needed mini paolumu and the coral waltz quest was on, I kept doing it over and over to solo farm paolumu and it still took me about 40 attempts.

Also, scarred yian garuga is rather hard to come by with investigations, but the event quest "scars tell the whole story" can drop the crown.

At least in my case, I had trouble sniping yian garuga / scarred yian garuga, so i simply killed every single one I found, the mini scarred was the 2nd last one I got, which was from a tempered investigation with 4 boxes.

Lunastra is also a major pain, shes very agressive, so if you start an investigation and you spawn right in front of her, you wont have the chance to measure, unless you run away and wait a few minutes for her to calm down, which can be very boring / frustrating. Not only that, she is a bit hard, specially on master rank, so more than once I thought I had a crown lunastra in front of me, I fired the SOS, randoms joined and died, resulting on quest fail, which was insanely frustrating.

My advice is to farm lunastra as soon as you can, joining every single lunastra investigation you find (assuming you are ready for it, please dont join investigations for monsters you cant hold your own agaisnt, so you dont ruin other players quests), and on high rank investigations instead, although I got my both crowns for her on master rank, I seen people saying it also drops on high rank.

Large lunastra was my last crown and I really thought about giving it up, had to farm her for days before the large one appeared, what kept me going was the fact I had put 600h in this game and would feel lame to quit at the very last crown, but now im completely burnt out of this game.

Will take some time off it, play something else, still got some trophies to go, like the arena quests, but will do that later on.

Cheers and dont give up, its all a matter of time and after you put a certain number of hours in, you are too far gone to simply back down, would feel like you wasted all those hours on an unfinished project.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, dreamboysixty9 said:

@dope_RealityThank you. So it is better to hunt crowns in guiding lands than in investigations?

And do scarred garuga and brute tigrex event quests drop gold crowns? I am already done on the song event quests.

I got all my Scarred Yian Garuga crowns by joining people in events or their investigation quest with even unlocking him in the guiding lands. I just join any and every quest i saw with him in that popped up while searching, same with Brute Tigrex. They definitely drop crowns

Edited by VaNiDgE

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi dont mind me.

I need to complain here so I might appease RNGeezus.

900+ hours

Genocide squad (150+ hunted):

Kirin, Nerg, Vaal

If you dont hear from me again, its becuase gold crowns are a conspiracy

Edit: finally plat world. Got Nerg and Vaal back to back two days after posting. Kirin was still a bitch unicorn and took a week and dozens of investigations. 

What worked for me was:

1. Do the Tracking the Delivery (Resaercher food buff or not) collected tracks (30 mins, about 6 runs, 18-20 elder investigations.)

2. Kept only the 4 or 3 purple

3. Exit game and save scummed

4. Got Nerg and Vaal in 2 tries

5. Kirin I had to scum maybe 10 times over a week (I had 2 investigations, 3x 4purple and 5x 3purple)

I hate this. FF12 and Nier gestalt had better RNG than this. And also don't hunt the same monster if you're not getting it. Maybe it's just me, but after I gave up on Kirin after a week straight- I got 3 crowns right after. Also its better for your mental health.

Edited by CuinnBear
Update progress
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Ughhh dying to get my large gold crown Namielle. I swear I’ve sniped over 500 investigations. Tried guiding lands too :( hoping this helps lol.

EDIT: Finally got it. Do tempered investigations only. Don’t waste your time on non tempered trying to get crowns.

Edited by Vtull
  • Like 1

I recall sniping for crown coral pukei pukei for my last trophy before platinum. No more investigation, no ppl running it, my final hope is optional quest. And yes finally i got it from optional after a long long snipe. Hang in there buddy you will get it eventually.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I need to pray to RNGesus here now too because I'm going NUTS!

I'm desperately loking for Blackveil Vaal Hazak, Scarred Yian Garuga, Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos. All large. The small crowns dropped almost immediately for all of them but I've been circling through investigations for these four bastards for weeks now, barely get any for Vaal and Yian at all and am just so exhausted by now. PLEASE RNGods send a christmas miracle or something, I desire that plat and am working so hard!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...