Life is Strange 2 biggest surprise? (Spoiler Alert)

snakebit10

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

Of course they are as are most Hollywood types.  Doesn’t mean it wasn’t heavy-handed.  Same tropes we have seen time and again in media.  Like I said, I still enjoyed it, even with a fair share of eye-rolling and predictability.

I can understand the predictability aspect for certain segments of the game, but to say "GOD WE GET IT WHITE PEOPLE SUCK MINORITIES AND GAYS ARE AWESOME" is such a yikes. Sounds like smth you'd hear on a 4chan white erasure thread or smth lol.

Mine was the ending, I got the blood brothers ending playing naturally and choosing what I thought was best/would do, and what surprised me was how much grew up. He was such a bratty kid but grew up to be a good looking dude. 

I was also surprised at Chloe's dad David in the desert and also the photo of chloe and max in his caravan.

I found the game really boring and not as good as the other LiS games, but I liked it's endings and the mechanics the best, where your choices actually affect the endings.  

• 1 month later...

David in the desert was my biggest surprise as well.  I didn’t realize who he was until I saw the photo in his trailer.  

The other surprise for me was how much these kids were tortured.  As soon as it seemed like something good was going to happen to the boys, something happened to take it away.  Even the endings were tough on them.  I thought I made pretty good choices throughout the game so I was surprised when my ending resulted in 15 years in prison.  When I researched the other endings I could have seen, none of them really resulted in both kids being happy,  

It was a beautiful but emotionally draining game.

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest surprise to me was how much this game made me like a bunch of angst-ridden hippies and a deadbeat mother. And I never once felt that I was being asked to like these characters. I didn't have to get into the water with the tattooed runaway, and I didn't have to be friendly to the estranged mother - but I wanted to. I seem to be in the minority here, but I think this is a vastly superior game to the original - which is also a great game, but the writing is sloppier and the emotional payoff relies too much on a single character, Chloe, who I never really liked. Which is one of several reasons I found Before the Storm to be perhaps the worst choice-driven game I've ever played.

I'm extremely impressed with how they handled the politics, too. It's never contrived, never demands you to think either like a liberal or a conservative, and allows you enough space to form an honest opinion. It's also sensitively balanced. The racist attack on Sean in Episode 4 is immediately followed up with the truck driver with an American flag in his cabin who just wants to do a kid a favour. I grow tired of the "straight white man bad" narrative of the day, but that simply isn't the case here. Diversity is presented so much better than, say, The Last of Us Part II's bizarre and implausible checklist of identities. 

I got the ending where Daniel jumped out of the car, which was also surprising. And it seemed a little underwhelming at first - but in the end, the little brother made his own choice, as little brothers do. I do find it hard to believe that his powers wouldn't attract more government intervention than an ankle bracelet, but otherwise it's a great ending to a thoroughly satisfying narrative. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This game is just about the epitome of hipster activism, I think. Quite a lot of preaching with nothing to say. The game is brazenly political, which is understandable, even welcome, given the time frame it was released in - but... what exactly is the message, here? You play two runaways barely surviving after their dad is shot by a cop. Surely, this is the beginning of a deconstruction of systemic violence, conventional morality, yadda yadda, right?

Not quite, no; this is a game where stealing to survive - even from someone who beat and kidnapped you for no reason except his own prejudice - is considered of the same moral character as senseless violence for violence's sake when it comes to Daniel's psyche. The writers clearly were not well equipped to handle the issues they were so passionate about representing.

As others have said, the nature of this game also was disappointing; Life is Strange 1, at least, had familiar settings and consistent side characters; Life is Strange 2 may as well have been one of Telltale's TWD games, with characters being brutally murdered as soon as it became inconvenient to account for your choices towards them. Instead, they survive, never to be seen again except for a letter here or there.

• Like 1

I think the biggest surprise to me was how vitriolic the response to it has been, given how benign and milquetoast the actual 'political' content of it was... 

...and how long people who didn't even play it have been holding on to, and bleating about, their malformed opinions of it. ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gee I was pretty happy with my ending, glad I got it now after reading others, at the border I didn’t get out of the car and surrender we were going to drive through, with a nod to Daniel he got out of the car and took care of all the guards who then opened fire on him and he held them back throwing them everywhere, then he blasted cars and things everywhere destroying the gate hopped back in the car and we drove across the boarder.   6 years later we flash to the brothers with their own car/body shop where Daniel held off some would be robbers, had a safe full of money and located right on the beach.  So glad none of them went to prison in that ending.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:05 AM, snakebit10 said:

Mine was probably seeing David in the desert. Honestly didn't recognize him at first with the beard and long hair.

This basically. I felt so stupid when I finally realised who he was lol. Should have picked up on it long before I did.

Also, the ending I got was apparently a kinda bad one, but I thought it worked out pretty well. 

Edited by The Alchemist
  • Like 1