Snipers and Camping,,,your thoughts?

Wade_VC

I think it would be interesting to see what everyone else's thoughts on this is as well.

Snipers:

I for one would LOVE to see a good shooter hit the market where there were NO sniper rifles or sniper class of soldiers available. It is becoming far too prevalent to go online and find an entire team, squad or even game full of those using nothing other than sniper rifles.

What should be an "Elite" soldier class has been reduced to massive over-use to the point of being pathetic and, at times, more of a hindrance to a game rather than plus. If not totally eliminated, I would like to see a game set up where only ONE player, per round, per team/squad could be a Sniper.

Campers:

We've all seen them and been the victim of them....these lazy little turds who contribute nothing to a team/squad/game other than just being low-level players with the inability to learn how to properly play a game. They offer nothing to team-based games or their team-mates, and are a plague to most online gamers.

This is a tactic one would expect to see (and somewhat justified) by the new player...for the first couple of rounds only. However, more often than not, Campers (just like Snipers) are often times higher ranking players who have achieved their ranks by being lazy and too concerned with their overall K/D ratios than they are their team or squad. (Naturally when one is protecting an objective is understandable).

So, what are your views on these types of players in a game?

• Like 1

hahaha. I noticed Ur currently playing R2. that wouldn't have anything to do with the subject would it.? snipers and campers are just another challenge to the game and is to be expected. I'll like to add I hate online hahaha. long live play. :wave:

Spawn camping is the saddest thing.

Sniping and camping in general come with the territory though. If someones camping, then be smart enough to not walk out into the open with them and remember where they are next time you spawn. Sniping is kind of the same deal.

Though I talk big, I don't play shooters enough to have a very solid opinion lol.

• Like 1

As unrealistic as the sniping in Battlefield is, I prefer it to other games because it takes more "skill" than most other shooters usually resulting in people making a fool of themselves. Snipers, when played correctly, can be a huge asset to a team and they don't have to be a cheap class but unfortunately most people use snipers to try and get cheap kills.

Camping is pretty goofy to me. I play games to have fun and enjoy myself, but I can't for the life of me see how it is even remotely fun to sit by a corner and wait for someone to come by. I'd much rather be on the move, play the objective and have a negative k/d ratio than sit in a corner with a positive k/d.

I think one thing that would solve the camping issue is if developers didn't keep track of your k/d. I think if people didn't know they had more deaths than kills, and it wasn't permanently recorded than more people would play the objectives, and play the game as it was meant to be played.

Parker

• Like 1

Sniping and camping in general come with the territory though. If someones camping, then be smart enough to not walk out into the open with them and remember where they are next time you spawn. Sniping is kind of the same deal.

Though I talk big, I don't play shooters enough to have a very solid opinion lol.

For me the biggest issue is that campers and snipers, for the most part, rarely help the team meet it's objectives. I have been on "teams" where 10 out of 12 players on the team are Snipers. They do NOT provide assistance or contribute anything, they never help capture/control the objective, they are merely concerned with their K/D ratios.

Snipers/campers on the other team I usually deal with (ie: I'll seek them out and go on a Sniping hunt); but when they are on your own team and contribute nothing, it kind of ticks me off. If someone doesn't want to work as a part of a team, then why bother playing team-based games?

Camping is pretty goofy to me. I play games to have fun and enjoy myself, but I can't for the life of me see how it is even remotely fun to sit by a corner and wait for someone to come by. I'd much rather be on the move, play the objective and have a negative k/d ratio than sit in a corner with a positive k/d.

Is that what camping is? I was picturing something similar to sniping lol.

Well in some games I played like Bad Company 2 or the Battlefield 3 beta, snipers actually snipe properly so I don't really have beef with that. The so called "Snipers" in MW2 aren't snipers since all they do is run around and quickscope because it's way to n00bfriendly. Sniping in Bad Company 2 was really fun, especially when you figure out bullet drop. There's nothing more satisfying than a bullet drop headshot from across the map, baby ;)

Campers on the other hand are a disease and is another reason why I don't play COD anymore. Whenever I played a map that was new to me, I would be a little cautious and slowly learn the map, but I wouldn't necessarily stay in one spot. After I got accustomed to that map, I would go guns blazing... unless it was a nice map to snipe in like 'Panama Canal' or 'Arica Harbor'. There are a lot of other overused weapons out there that ppl don't usually bitch about. For example, how many ppl have you seen with an AK or an UMP in MW2? Not to mention the goddamn Intervention!? Best thing about Battlefield is if you get killed by a camper, you can just go back and blow his cover sky high so the little dickfart has nowhere else to hide.

• Like 2

That is exactly how I am as well. I'd rather get shot to shit but be in the thick of the action rather than cowering in a corner waiting...and waiting...and waiting. Bores me to tears to sit still for more than a few seconds.

That is exactly how I am as well. I'd rather get shot to shit but be in the thick of the action rather than cowering in a corner waiting...and waiting...and waiting. Bores me to tears to sit still for more than a few seconds.

Nothing like sitting in a room playing a game where you sit in a room :P

Is that what camping is? I was picturing something similar to sniping lol.

There's a difference. When I sniped, in BC2, I usually tried staying a little mobile, because if I keep getting kills in one area ppl will start to get nosy. Campers are just little faggots that hide behind doors with a shotgun. Another thing that pissed me off about MW2 was the dual wielding. I hate those bastards that run around the whole time with 2 Rangers thinking they're 1337.

As unrealistic as the sniping in Battlefield is

How is it unrealistic? When shooting from something far away, you gotta raise the gun up a bit because gravity will pull the bullet down like in real life. I'm just thankful that we don't have to compensate for the wind :unsure:

• Like 1

Nothing like sitting in a room playing a game where you sit in a room :P

There's a difference. When I sniped, in BC2, I usually tried staying a little mobile, because if I keep getting kills in one area ppl will start to get nosy. Campers are just little faggots that hide behind doors with a shotgun. Another thing that pissed me off about MW2 was the dual wielding. I hate those bastards that run around the whole time with 2 Rangers thinking they're 1337.

How is it unrealistic? When shooting from something far away, you gotta raise the gun up a bit because gravity will pull the bullet down like in real life. I'm just thankful that we don't have to compensate for the wind :unsure:

The bullet drop is extremely exaggerated in Bad Company 2. I've put thousands of rounds thru various different rifles and while yes, you do have to compensate for gravity, it is nothing like Bad Company 2.

I'd also argue that the Snipers in CoD are more realistic, due to the fact that at the distance you're shooting someone in CoD there would be little to no bullet drop, and if you shoot someone in the chest with a .50 cal Sniper they wouldn't still be running around...

I understand why Battlefield has chosen to not have 1 shot kill Sniper rifles but they really contradict themselves when they try to claim their game is ultra realistic. I really hope the shotgun snipers are fixed in Battlefield 3 though, that was ridiculous.

Parker

I'd also argue that the Snipers in CoD are more realistic, due to the fact that at the distance you're shooting someone in CoD there would be little to no bullet drop, and if you shoot someone in the chest with a .50 cal Sniper they wouldn't still be running around...

I understand why Battlefield has chosen to not have 1 shot kill Sniper rifles but they really contradict themselves when they try to claim their game is ultra realistic. I really hope the shotgun snipers are fixed in Battlefield 3 though, that was ridiculous.

Parker

No gun in any of these games are realistic I'm sure it would only take 1 bullet from a rifle to take down a man not half a clip lol.

And agree with shotguns in bfbc2 way to much range but I liked the snipers with there drop and that.

On topic but campers, it's the worst epidemic in gaming Like most I hate them.

But I dunno how to feel about sniping if they sit in the one spot the whole game that's camping but if they move and gun I don't mind it.

I think experience and map knowledge are the key to whether it's ok or not to snipe and camp.

It's fair enough if you're a n00b who's unfamiliar with equipment loadouts, objectives, spawns and pathfinding to camp and snipe as part of the learning experience (run, duck and hide being my normal tactic when learning a game). But it's a weak-arse tactic for those simply looking to boost a K/D ratio when they really should be part of a frontline unit working towards an objective and teaching the n00bs how to play.

When teamwork comes into play, it's pretty poor form not to meet the expectations of the rest of your team. So if you're camping and sniping hen you're supposed to be healing or flanking, then you deserve friendly fire.

I don't see anything wrong with it in free-for-all matches though. Like has been pointed out, if you take note of the location your camper is bedding down, make sure you employ tactics enabling you to take the fucker out. Lone-wolf snipers atop a lofty perch are fine too. Just don't give them a clear shot.

It's funny to see the tactics people use in a videogame. Imagine campers in a real-life war. These would be the folk pissing their pants hiding underneath the bed hoping the enemy isn't looking at the ever-growing yellow stain spilling out from under the bedsheets. Good luck to them.

• Like 1

Spawn campers are the lowest form of gaming scum. I don't mind regular campers that much but spawn campers are useless pieces of scum that make a match unplayable forcing my entire team to leave.

Me I like being a support player in multiplayer shooters, medic, sniper, engineer (in the case of TF2) One tactic I use when sniping is I change my position after about 3 shots.

• 2 weeks later...

lets see how my opinion holds up in this, here we gooooo...

Snipers: First sentence HAS TO BE!: I prefer to be a sniper myself, i admit this. To me, there is nothing better than finding that nice hill, scoping in, watching the field, trying to figure out bullet drop (sometimes in like BC2 and stuff i may shoot a wall of various buildings to find bullet drops), then putting it all together to line up a perfect headshot on an enemy from halfway across the map. Saying this, i do have some rules for sniping: Don't sit in one spot, IRL you do that you DAI..so I'll try to find a few close together, low traffic areas, and bounce them, trying for either 3 kills/6 shots in games without killcams like BC2, in BC2, where it shows location, 1-2 kills, or 6 shots. I also HATE..HATE..HATE quickscoping, because the gun has a scope that is that poweerful for a reason...and it AINT shooting people from the hip at 5 feet away..no, bullshit. Also, ill address this with Campers, but I use Sniper Rilfes when i snipe...I do like decent powered scopes on ARs, SMGs and such, but i go from Iron SIghts to an ACOG, even that i can barely take from how far a way it looks when im trying to fight close-up...ARs and shotguns SHOULD NOT HAVE a 6 power scope, that is a standard power sniper scope, its not for a shotgun with a 10-foot range. and also...Snipers are not supposed to be automatic or semiautomatic (like the VSS semi-auto, not a barret semi-auto). Bolt Actions, or one trigger pull, one bullet snipers are snipers. anything else..like the VSS..are just a slow-firing AR with a powerful scope on it.

Campers: please go die. For me, a camper is the ass who uses an LMG, AR, SMG with a silencer, and all that other crazy BS, find a single house, and sit in one corner, and do not move. This is why i sold MW2: SIlenced AR, with Hearbeat Sensor, the apex of my hatred for that game. the Riot Shield also didnt really help. I, for one, like to MOVE if i intend to get mid- to -close range with a gun..and i use the gun that fits. like i said...you DO NOT bring a sniper for CQ maps or stuff, quickscoping isnt what snipers do..they just stay far away and kill you, not get near you and hip-fire cuz they think they are "boss"..bullshit. Also, the scopes in some games are BS (my main, if my ONLY, issue with BF3 beta). No Shotgun needs a 6 or 8 power scope, no AR needs a 12 power scope, even if it has burst and single firing modes...not for that. The limit should be UP TO an ACOG, or any type of 3 to 4 power scope..anything higher is BS.

...i think i got off topic there, so ill finish on-topic: campers give people who enjoy sniping like me a bad name...STOP IT :angry:

• Like 1

I only use camping tactics if I arm an objective or something. There's nothing more annoying than arming an objective and having it disarmed right when you leave the area :angry: So I usually move around the house, go up the stairs, peak out of windows, check if any neighbors are coming to disarm my objective and have some tea with them. When the objective blows, I'm outta the house.

• 3 months later...

To me campers and snipers are no different other than weapon preference. They usually tend to be more concerned with KD ratios and not focused in on winning the mission. I'd prefer to play against um than with them!

I could not agree more. There is nothing more frustrating than to have people on your team with stats like:

30k 2d

14k 1d

ect., just to have tour team lose becasue these fucktards are too busy padding their KD's than they are trying to win the round. As for me, I will go for the points (by capturing objectives and support actions) well before I worry about my kills. There have been times when I have had like 3 kills, 9 deaths and still ended up getting a MVP ribbon becasue of my score by attacking/protecting objectives and support actions.

i hate when people think that snipers are campers. snipers are actually important in games, for example, in battlefield bad company 2 they always defend the objective, therefore comtributing, even if they are away from the objective they keep people away from the objective by eliminating them. i honestly dont see why everyone thinks snipers are campers. campers sit in a corner with a shotgun waiting for someone to pass by. snipers are at the edge of a map, building, or other good hidden place helping keep people off the objective.

games like cod shouldnt have snipers since there are no sniping spots and its really useless, and people abuse them for "quickscoping".

• Like 1

i hate when people think that snipers are campers. snipers are actually important in games, for example, in battlefield bad company 2 they always defend the objective, therefore comtributing, even if they are away from the objective they keep people away from the objective by eliminating them. i honestly dont see why everyone thinks snipers are campers. campers sit in a corner with a shotgun waiting for someone to pass by. snipers are at the edge of a map, building, or other good hidden place helping keep people off the objective.

games like cod shouldnt have snipers since there are no sniping spots and its really useless, and people abuse them for "quickscoping".

I have yet to see a match where those constantly Sniping are doing anything other than padding their KD's. If Snipers are so important, why is it 9 times out of 10, the team with the most Snipers loose the match? It must be all that "contribution" to the team obtaining the objective.

I can almost assure you, any team that has 4 or more Snipers will lose the match as 1/3rd of their team is "contributing" from the edge of the map.