DLC sale? :/

Kiyan-13

Was planning to start Mass Effect series, I want to 100% all 3 games and I have to buy the DLC's to do so but this one here has 4 DLC's and they cost 50€... I have been waiting for them to go on sale for over a year and no sale so far, the last time was on February of 2018 which is pretty long ago... So, is this "train" gone for good?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, replete_disguise said:

I haven't seen any kind of sale on ps store from ps3 in a long time

This^

There haven't been any decent PS3 sales in a very long time and these DLCs haven't been on sale for even longer than that so you're going to have to bite the bullet and get them at full price if you want the 100% :(.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Last time they've been on sales was February 2018

That's what I said in my comment... o.o

I've been tracking them with psprices, but no luck. Anyway, I'm not really willing to pay 50€ for them, I'll just wait for a miracle or something. Not gonna do what I make fun of .-.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DemonicDraco said:

Are the dlcs included in mass effect trilogy?

It depends on the game:

ME 1 = Bring Down the Sky is on the disc but not Pinnacle Station, because the source files got corrupted and the devs couldn't be bothered to rebuild it.

ME 2 = Kasumi: Stolen Memory and Lair of the Shadow Broker are on the disc but the Overlord DLC is included as a code in the box - Arrival has to be bought separately.

ME3 = 0 DLC included, thus you have to buy everything separately.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Feral said:

Looks like you might be out of luck. I know you want to 100% them all but you should just play them regardless of the DLC. Bloody fantastic series and you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t play it.

I'll play them for sure, in fact I'm gonna start the first Mass Effect once I complete Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate. But I was hoping to have all DLC's to start the series and not have to drop it to wait for a discount.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this happened in the UK too, but they recently raised the prices of the Mass Effect games and dlc, at least here in Canada. The trilogy used to be $29.99, now it's $39.99. The standalone game was $14.99, now I believe it's $19.99.  They've also added $5 to the most expensive dlcs, and another, I assume substantial, increase on the others. 

I was in the same boat as you, waiting and waiting for a sale on these dlc. I waited so long, the price actually increased by a third, and some dlc prices were doubled. If they struggled selling this game before, this ensures sales will be pretty much nonexistent here on out.

There is the rumor that a remastered is planned or in progress on the trilogy. Could be a reason to the price raise, although its far fetched.

It's a shame a lot of DLCs for PS3 Games stays at a high price without sales anymore. Had a couple of games myself, where I paid much more than I would usually do. Including Dragon Age 2 and I think one Mass Effect Title, not sure which one. I still wouldn't recommend playing MA 3 without the DLCs. They enhance the experience quiet a lot.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have been waiting for a few years as I managed to get the trilogy on sale in 2018.  I just bit the bullet and paid for the ME2 DLC as I had enough PSN credit to cover it.  As per psnprices no sales on the DLC in the US ever... so I will likely slowly start buying the ME3 DLCs one at a time.  It's a total of 4 and costs about the same as a new game... luckily I bought the trilogy for less than $10 when it was on sale.

As other have said.... Great game and shame to not play it if your into the genre!

HuntingFever isn't quite accurate, Cerberus Network for ME2 WAS DLC that was a code in the box, but when EA made made their day 1 DLC passes free that is free as well. Overlord was also always on the disc, it's Zaaed's quest that was a part of the voucher code. I recently started fresh in ME2 from an old ME1 save to finally play the Arrival and ME3. The Arrival is very uninspired and skippable IMO, which works out well since it is the only story DLC you have to pay for with the PS3 version.

If you buy 1 DLC before you start playing the ME3 campaign, it should be From Ashes. It has conversations and story content that are sprinkled throughout as you play the campaign so if you wait to buy it until near the end of the playthrough, you will miss out on a lot of character backtory. Citadel is a lot of fun and a lot of content, Leviathan has story content which gives a lot of context to the game's ending, and Omega is the most skippable of the DLC as its mainly just extra combat with little story of consequence. Pretty much the only reason to get Omega IMO is for the Flare biotic power.

Edited by Guardian_owl

• 8 months later...

About £42 for all 4 add on packs in the UK, essentially the cost of buying a new full game. Can offset some of that with a digital PSN card, just got one for £32 (for £40). but that's still a steep price to pay for a game that's several years old on a two generation old console.

If they had any sense they should be looking to bring in some kind of discount with the upcoming Legendary Edition, but this is EA, greedy as it gets. I certainly won't be buying that version.

34 minutes ago, BluesFanUK said:

About £42 for all 4 add on packs in the UK, essentially the cost of buying a new full game. Can offset some of that with a digital PSN card, just got one for £32 (for £40). but that's still a steep price to pay for a game that's several years old on a two generation old console.

If they had any sense they should be looking to bring in some kind of discount with the upcoming Legendary Edition, but this is EA, greedy as it gets. I certainly won't be buying that version.

Nothing PS3 or Vita will ever be on sale, ever again, unless it is crossbuy with the PS4 version and the PS4 version is on sale. When they were still a part of the webstore PS3 game sales happened very infrequently over the last couple of years, but now that their stores are only accessible via their consoles, they will never see a sales update again. I doubt EA could put them on sale even if they wanted to. When the ME PS4 collection comes down in price, that will be the cheapest way to play all the ME3 DLC.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guardian_owl said:

Nothing PS3 or Vita will ever be on sale, ever again, unless it is crossbuy with the PS4 version and the PS4 version is on sale. When they were still a part of the webstore it happened very infrequently over the last couple of years, but now that their stores are only accessible via their consoles, they will never see a sales update again. I doubt EA could put them on sale even if they wanted to.

Yep, Sony don't allow any sales for PS3/Vita. Who knows surley why. They still would get money, but I guess they don't need it.

• Like 2

On 05/02/2021 at 4:56 PM, Guardian_owl said:

Nothing PS3 or Vita will ever be on sale, ever again, unless it is crossbuy with the PS4 version and the PS4 version is on sale. When they were still a part of the webstore PS3 game sales happened very infrequently over the last couple of years, but now that their stores are only accessible via their consoles, they will never see a sales update again. I doubt EA could put them on sale even if they wanted to. When the ME PS4 collection comes down in price, that will be the cheapest way to play all the ME3 DLC.

Yep, shame really, been enjoying going back through some of my old PS3 log since the first lockdown started. There are discounts still on the store front but i'm not sure how often it's updated (if ever). I may just have to bite the bullet on this one, if they weren't so greedy they could have added it into the Trilogy for us all those years ago, like a GoTY edition.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 05/02/2021 at 5:00 PM, RedHotChiliFan1 said:

Sony don't allow any sales for PS3/Vita. Who knows surley why....

It is most likely because running the PS3 and VITA PSN Stores will have overhead expenses to operate. Taking PSN access off the web was probably one way Sony could have saved some money just to still keep the stores running.  So the high cost of DLCs and Digital Content is a way for them to offset all operational cost. 

It can be argued that had they brought the price down, surely a lot of players would buy more DLCs and games?  On paper that look splausible but I personally do not think the current number of Legacy Players could justify Sony shouldering the tab and operate the store at a loss.  They are not as wasteful as Microsoft.

Another theory of mine is that a third party company is may be managing PSN Legacy stores or possibly were leased to them by Sony albeit only for a certain period or limited  time. They pay a fee like a lease hold and it is up to them on how to recoup that investments they have put forward for the right to operate the last generation stores.

As for the DLCs being costly, personally I would gamble on them despite the high price because once they get delisted then they are gone for good.  I regret not buying the Scott Pilgrim Knives Chau DLC when it was still available.  The same goes for the Enslaved Odyssey to the West Pigsy EU DLC though we can still get the Premium Edition at the NA PSN Store. Not getting the Monkey Island series is also one of my biggest regrets.

I did a bit of panic buying myself getting the DLCs for the Dragon Age titles and Mirror's Edge when the stores were said to initially shut down... No regrets there as it is indeed better to be safe than sorry.  Once these old DLCs are gone - even if we wave hundreds of pounds or dollars in front of Sony just to bring them back, there will be no way we can make them be available again.

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eispan said:

It is most likely because running the PS3 and VITA PSN Stores will have overhead expenses for operation purposes. Taking them off the web is one way to save money to still keep the stores running.  So the high cost of the DLCs and Digital Content is probably a way to offset all that.  I know we can argue that if they put the price down surely a lot of players will buy more DLCs and games.  But I do not think the current number of Legacy Players could justify that Sony shoulder the tab and operate the store at a loss.

Another theory of mine is that a third party company is managing PSN Legacy stores or were leased to them from Sony albeit for a certain period of time. They pay a fee and it is up to them on how much they will charge for the products.

As for the DLCs being costly, personally I would gamble on them despite the high price because once they get delisted then they are gone for good.  I regret not buying the Scott Pilgrim Knives Chau DLC when it was still available.  Same goes for the Enslaved Odyssey to the West Pigsy EU DLC though we can still get the Premium Edition at the NA PSN Store...

I did a bit of panic buying myself getting the DLCs for the Dragon Age titles and Mirror's Edge when the stores were said to initially shut down... no regrets there. Better to be safe than sorry.  Once they are gone, even if we wave hundreds of pounds or dollars in front of Sony there is no way we can get them to be available again.

I see. Thanks