Peeress of Pull-Ups Trophy Guide

If anyone else struggles with the button order / memorization aspect of this specifically, there are only 4 different button direction combinations. I just took a picture of every button combination and kept it next to the screen as a reference for when the button order disappears. Got it a few tries after that.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was really loving this game up to this point. Yeah the dialog is cringy, Cloud is a total downer tool, but it was just the same in the original. The greatest FF story for me, but with one of the least interesting protagonist. 

Anyway. All was going well but then I got to this pull ups challenge. Had so many attempts today, but what really fecked me off, was when I got a flawless run on both rounds, even leading the first round 21-19, even having Jules fall in each round and I still lost 44-42. Not been close to replicating it since. I think the problem for me is certain pattens are easy to remember and not get flustered with no matter the speed, where as other patterns don't seem as natural to me and I tend to screw up on those the worst. 

Seems unfair though that against an RNG opponents score, you have to still do that button mash section. 

Edit

This morning I got a great run without falling. Twice I still lost in score and the 3rd I drew (Wasn't enough swear words in the world when that happened). Then on my 4th attempt I got a great pattern to follow and won 45-43.

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Well after hearing all the horror stories I was dreading this trophy...not sure what all the hype was about.

It is just memorizing 4 buttons and pressing them in order. Got the rhythm down after my 3rd attempt and then it just took a few more attempts for the rng to work in my favour.

This trophy reminded me of Maduin from World of Final Fantasy. Built up to be way harder than it actually was.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well after hearing all the horror stories I was dreading this trophy...not sure what all the hype was about.

It is just memorizing 4 buttons and pressing them in order. Got the rhythm down after my 3rd attempt and then it just took a few more attempts for the rng to work in my favour.

This trophy reminded me of Maduin from World of Final Fantasy. Built up to be way harder than it actually was.

I believe it was patched to make it easier some time ago - as it should have been, as I don't imagine doing pull-ups was ever intended to be harder than storming the headquarters of the Shinra Corporation ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I believe it was patched to make it easier some time ago - as it should have been, as I don't imagine doing pull-ups was ever intended to be harder than storming the headquarters of the Shinra Corporation 1f602.png

Oh ok, that would make more sense. I was thinking "what was challenging about this trophy"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Oh ok, that would make more sense. I was thinking "what was challenging about this trophy"

Yeah - I'm not sure when it was changed, but i think I did it before that - It was not impossible, but was definitely a bit of a bugger - took like 30 retries to get, and seemed waaaaaay harder than a little mini-game should be

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I believe it was patched to make it easier some time ago - as it should have been, as I don't imagine doing pull-ups was ever intended to be harder than storming the headquarters of the Shinra Corporation 1f602.png

Are you sure about that? The current version is 1.01, there has been exactly one patch released for this game, and it only adresses "crash issues" and such... 

Then again, I truly, truly hope that it was really hard back in the day. Seeing the internet even full of petitions to make this minigame easier, and this 170 reply long thread bitching about what turned out to be a really easy task would be really sad if things haden't become easier at some point ?

But... what exactly could they have changed to make it easier anyways? I watched some videos now from back when the game released and everything looks the same. You still need about the same number of pull-ups to beat Jules (I won 45-41 after drawing 44-44), the speed seems about the same... I dunno. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Are you sure about that? The current version is 1.01, there has been exactly one patch released for this game, and it only adresses "crash issues" and such... 

Then again, I truly, truly hope that it was really hard back in the day. Seeing the internet even full of petitions to make this minigame easier, and this 170 reply long thread bitching about what turned out to be a really easy task would be really sad if things haden't become easier at some point 1f605.png

But... what exactly could they have changed to make it easier anyways? I watched some videos now from back when the game released and everything looks the same. You still need about the same number of pull-ups to beat Jules (I won 45-41 after drawing 44-44), the speed seems about the same... I dunno. 

Oh - possibly not then - I heard it had been, but that's not first-hand info, just based on what others have said.

As I said, I did it early on, and found it pretty hard, but not exactly 'petition-worthy,' so maybe it was just being exaggerated by some frustrated folks :dunno:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Then again, I truly, truly hope that it was really hard back in the day. Seeing the internet even full of petitions to make this minigame easier, and this 170 reply long thread bitching about what turned out to be a really easy task would be really sad if things haden't become easier at some point 1f605.png

But like I said there is a huge thread to trade for Maduin and that mini game takes little effort to beat.

I used to get almost weekly pms to help people beat Minesweeper for the Velocity Ultra plat.

My brain works with patterns quite easily so memorizing 4 button presses was not going to be a challenge for me. I think people didnt get it after  a few tries AND read all the threads about it and built into something harder than it actually was (thus getting frustrated forcing more errors)

It is nice to see that I was not the only one struggling with this one.

What I would have as tips has already been said. I found the BGM to be a real big distraction and afterwards, I really should have switched it of. But I always thought: this time it will work out for me and then I would have searched through the menus for nothing. As I finally had made my mind up to change the setting, the trophy dropped :D

Thinking of a pattern rather than symbols was my approach, too. Just had difficulty with the increasing speed and I guess the BGM influenced me so much, that I had to start over and over again. Took me about an hour to get it.

I did this in 3, 20-30 minute sessions which really helped me keep my cool. The hardest part for me is the beginning because it goes so slowly but once I got the timing of the gradual speed up down, it got a lot better. Also, at least the remake let you try again instead of one try per load like the original game did with the squats. ?

On 4/23/2020 at 4:04 PM, xmera_core said:

A few people have kind of touched on this, but my strat was "Don't screw up". I sacrificed any greed on speed for just not falling down. I tended to fall when I got greedy trying to go fast. When I stopped being greedy, I was fine.

My apprehension about being able to earn this trophy has stalled my efforts to complete the game.  Just how difficult is it to keep up a good tempo?

5 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

My apprehension about being able to earn this trophy has stalled my efforts to complete the game.  Just how difficult is it to keep up a good tempo?

It really isn't that hard, this trophy sits on +40% completion rate. 

Just think of 2 button patterns and you'll get it in no time. 

This trophy is complex, but doable:

- Optional, I turn down the music to 0, cause (for me) was easier to concentrate.
- One indicator that you have to speed up, is Tifa's movement, if you see that the movements are more "robotic" than fluid, you have to speed up the pace.

- Concentrate till very end, in my case I was overconfidence and the "button smash" screw me a couple of times at the very end.
- Jules always (and I mean always) would get between 43-44 points, even if he can pull one more, he will not do it. So you have to aim 45 points at minimum.
- If you fall, restart, if you do less than 22 in the first round, restart.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 4:08 PM, LordBilbanes said:

The hard part IMO is the warm up to the quicker pace, forcing yourself to slowly press the buttons. Then after the first "struggle" moment you can you start going faster and after the second one you can go as fast as you can enter them. The challenge then is that you need to avoid brain farts where you forget the pattern. I recommend short sessions when going for this trophy, I managed it in 3 half hour sessions and my sanity was not harmed.

After completing a struggle button press is when I usually messed up the sequence. I agree you 22+ at the end of round 1 and that you need a flawless run where you don't fall. The warm up process just takes too long. Also, the load time takes forever so I would just wait out the clock and retry instead of quitting the round - besides the practice helps.

On 4/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, da-Noob123 said:

The hard part IMO is the warm up to the quicker pace, forcing yourself to slowly press the buttons. Then after the first "struggle" moment you can you start going faster and after the second one you can go as fast as you can enter them. The challenge then is that you need to avoid brain farts where you forget the pattern. I recommend short sessions when going for this trophy, I managed it in 3 half hour sessions and my sanity was not harmed.

After completing a struggle button press is when I usually messed up the sequence. I agree you 22+ at the end of round 1 and that you need a flawless run where you don't fall. The warm up process just takes too long. Also, the load time takes forever so I would just wait out the clock and retry instead of quitting the round - besides the practice helps.

Yeah I think even when turning off voices and stuff, its that slow build up which wrecks it a lot for people as the pace feels way off for a slow rhythm. Once you do get that down the fast pace is much easier. I actually preferred the fast pace of pullups over the squats.  

• Like 1