Fallout New Vegas: is it playable?

gipoli

During my journey to 100% New Vegas it crashed maybe 4-5 times during the 12 hours I played it. 

From my experience with 3 & New Vegas I find the original disc version with the purchased DLCs runs better for Fallout 3, and the Ultimate Edition disc with DLCs included for New Vegas runs better over purchasing the DLCs and playing on original disc.

I made my way through the physical Ultimate Edition recently. It was a rather frustrating. Several crashes or freezings. Plenty of slow saves and closings to the dashboard to reset the game. This was on a Super Slim PS3.

The area that caused the most lag was the Great Khan canyon, even after a game reset it was still bad. 

However, I did all the trophies except the hardcore trophy with one character using certain save spots to get the various endings. Then I rushed the hardcore trophy as fast as I could. I missed plenty of the game just by focusing on trophies and have put it on my Steam wishlist to play someday in hopefully a more stable environment. 

Even my rushed hardcore mode with its smaller game file size had a couple crashes and needed a few game restarts near the end.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:16 AM, HoorayForTyler said:

During my journey to 100% New Vegas it crashed maybe 4-5 times during the 12 hours I played it.

12 hours. Sure thing. I'm currently looking at the time stamps and this is so suspicious I have to chuckle. Going from "Outsmarted" to "Rocket's Red Glare" in less than five minutes? With an unskippable cutscene that is almost twice as long? Explanation? Magic? Or just using resigned savestates from certain websites? The trophies are not out of order, but so close to each other that's it's pretty much clear that this was not played in a legit way. The same goes for "Fallout 3". I've platted this game over 20 times and I can see that the karma trophies are also waaaayyyy to close to each other. Reloading the save + the actual action to alter the karma + letting the system pop the trophy in less than 20 seconds?

Edited by Santa_in_Sandals
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

For someone that's platted it over 20 times, how do you not know about being at the best possible karma before a trophy pop, saving the game, lowering your karma and leveling to pop each trophy? This was known about even back when the game first came out, my xbox achievement timestamps are like that

Thank you. Someone who actually understands the saving mechanics in Fallout. I am not the first person nor the last person who will make saves before the karma trophies pop, that’s just how I did things when I did my speedrun. This dude wanted to straight up make a paragraph of assumptions bc he read that I got 100% in FO:NV in less than 13 hours. Pshhh.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm playing it right now, it's possible to do it all in one save. Did the Hardcore quick run separately, finished that off with the Wild Card ending at around character level 6

The trick I found was to avoid the main quest. I did up to the part where you enter The Tops to look at Benny to trigger a quest reward, then ran off and did everything else. 3 DLCs done by the time the file size hit 10MB, came back and finished the main quest 3 separate times. Went back to before I went down any main questline, now I just have Lonesome Road left to go.

It is very buggy though after 10MB file size. I advise the levelling trick in cottonwood cove to bolster your perks if you're worried you won't make it before your ps3 system crashes, and elevate your ps3 so you can blow a fan all around it might stave off overheats for a while.

*** The best part about doing it this way is you can be on good terms with all groups, and get most everything done without worrying about karma.

Edited by Seqqeqeth

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, ImMagnetz said:

I'm seeing a lot of huge exaggerations here. New Vegas will crash from time to time but it's far from unplayable. It's a fantastic title and is well worth putting up with a few hiccups here and there.

Your lucky, the game crashed every 15-45mins for me and the frame rate was a literal slide show of 1fps in places by the time I had the 100%.

• Like 1

Bit late to the party but I’m currently playing through again and after about 25 hours it is very unstable. Areas like camp mccaran and red rock canyon run at like 5 fps. The strip is also pretty bad. I would suggest not trying to become as OP as possible by getting loads of uniques and making your game save even bigger because it just gets more and more unstable. Trophy wise I would suggest just burning through it tbh. If it becomes really unstable, like someone has already said, you can just quit the game entirely and reload and that usually fixes it for a bit but it will happen a lot more frequently the more you play. 

On 07/05/2020 at 9:58 PM, gipoli said:

Thanks for the replies. I want to play it so bad. I think i just stick with the standard game so that i will somehiw enjoy it. As of dlc's i ll just buy one after i finish the main game and see from there how it goes. Thanks again guys.

I managed to get 100% playing with all DLC installed from the start. I only experienced a few crashes but still saved very frequently. I loved the Fallout world and so immensely enjoyed FO3 and New Vegas. I would recommend not hoarding too much (I’m a hypocrite) to keep the save file size smaller.

I think it’s most unplayable state was at launch. I played it several months after launch and got the platinum in 1 week and 4 days. Which should tell people it was more than doable. I didn’t do the DLC back then though. 

In 2019 I finally did go back and played 2 of the DLC’s and it went fine for the most part. I got through them. This old post reminded me I need to go back and finish the other 2. 

For future reference, to people that don’t know, I’d like to point out that this game wasn’t made by Bethesda like Fallout 3 and 4. They were just the publisher for New Vegas. Obsidian made this one and for some reason they got screwed by Bethesda when it came to making the game.  I can’t remember the exact details but Bethesda made it difficult for Obsidian which is why it launched in such a bad state. I think they go over it in the noclip Bethesda documentary on YouTube. 

I got the plat for this back when it first came out and had no issues with crashing. I did have issues with the games frame rates and running slow as hell. I wouldn't say its unplayable but its frustrating that its got these technical flaws so if you can tolerate the problems that it does have then go for it. Either way It is a great game and I had lots of fun playing through it.

Best way to do this is to have a save point you can go back to with around a level 15 or so character.  That way you can go back to that character for all the DLC trophies.  If you try to beat the game and do all DLC with one character you're going to level up too high and it will become unplayable.  Either way, save often, because it will crash your system.

I'm actually working a new playthrough of this game (10 years later lol) on Xbone to see if it's any better over there.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, ImMagnetz said:

I'm seeing a lot of huge exaggerations here. New Vegas will crash from time to time but it's far from unplayable. It's a fantastic title and is well worth putting up with a few hiccups here and there.

Yeah my experience has been surprisingly good tbh. I'm playing it again on PSNow and it's only crashed 4 times in 38 hours. There's definitely some graphics glitches and the battle for Hoover Dam played like a slideshow when I sided with The Legion. Overall I'm enjoying it even more this time around.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:26 AM, HuntingFever said:

Your lucky, the game crashed every 15-45mins for me and the frame rate was a literal slide show of 1fps in places by the time I had the 100%.

Ouch, maybe playing it on PS4 through Now is giving me a better experience? I would've expected the other way around honestly but that sounds way worse than what I've had.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kindajustin said:

Yeah my experience has been surprisingly good tbh. I'm playing it again on PSNow and it's only crashed 4 times in 38 hours. There's definitely some graphics glitches and the battle for Hoover Dam played like a slideshow when I sided with The Legion. Overall I'm enjoying it even more this time around.

Ouch, maybe playing it on PS4 through Now is giving me a better experience? I would've expected the other way around honestly but that sounds way worse than what I've had.

It runs a lot smoother on PS Now so I was gonna play it through that but there’s no dlc support which made me get the PS3 version

• Like 1

Oh ok now that makes sense. I have no PS3 so had no choice but I got everything on PC and it's just awesome, Old World Blues and Honest Hearts were my favorites. One of the only games I've ever played with DLC I gave a shit about.

Edit: I would just replay on Steam but my PC these days is old. I don't game on it much and I just enjoy my PS4 more

Edited by kindajustin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

With the exception of Old World Blues, I thought the DLCs were either meh or outright garbage but each to their own :).

Lonesome road is amazing in my opinion. I really like dead money as well. Don’t really care for the other two. Old world blues is really good first playthrough but it got boring after a bit for me 

• 4 months later...

I just platinumed the game and all I gotta say is I hope you have a lot of patience. The game would run fine until the frame rate started hitting the single digits and just freeze. This happens especially at the Hoover Dam battle after doing the DLCs. Probably had to reset the PS3 at least 3 dozen times before finally 100%ing this game. Really was quite the infuriating experience but at least it was worth 100%ing my favorite game of all time.

Edited by Shades89935