Fallout New Vegas: is it playable?

gipoli

Hey guys. I'm thinking to start Fallout new vegas on ps3 for a while now and i don't want to start it if it's unplayable from crushes/freezes. I have the standard edition and if i complete it i concider buying the dlc's. And if still has the same issues can you tell me some fixes/workarounds? Thanks.

Just now, Alex_Gorbatschow said:

the complete collection with all dlcs runs very poorly especially when you are far in the game. The bigger your save the higher the chance of crashing. you can get the platinum (if you have standard edition) without running in too many crashes but the dlcs are a different case. With the dlcs Its even worse than the fallout 3 Gotye which is already a catastrophe.The problem is the software construction of the ps3 which is too "complex" for the game. So prepare for countless freezes and heavy slowdowns in dense areas (somethimes you have one frame per FIVE SECONDS!!!)   

Too bad there is no remaster for ps4. This would be a great chance for console players to experience this great game in the way its meant to be played. 

This^

I love Fallout 3 and whilst that game is undeniably a broken mess, New Vegas is many times worse and makes its predecessor look stable by comparison. I've got both the normal and Ultimate Editions of New Vegas but the UE has a miserable frame-rate right out of the box and stutters like crazy, whereas the normal version takes a couple of hours to start showing fatigue.

• Like 1

Yup, can confrim wih the others. If you want the 100% then I suggest just blazing through it because the bigger the memory, the more it will lag. Completing the last mission after 200 hours of playtime was borderline impossible as the game would stagger and freeze every few minutes. 

Just do multiple playthroughs, the game is designed to be done multiple times. Been a few years but I got 100% on an old account and I couldnt remember any massive issues except some areas like Dead City streets. 

You can get to New Vegas in like 10 minutes if you just b-line to the NCR airport and use the monorail, and from there you can go do anything. I agree that you probably can’t do everything in one playthrough, but you can definitely have a fun platinum. And for whats it worth, I have modded NV on PC and it still crashes like hell, even with the 4gb ram patch, game is just a bit broken.

8 minutes ago, Cerber108 said:

Shit, so I will pass as for now. I really enjoyed F4, hope they will release remasters someday.

Fallout new vegas story and world building is way more complex and interesting than in F3 or F4. You almost think its a complete different franchise.  

I think Bethesda will need years to survive the fallout 76 mess. So they wont have time for the asked remasters. The only way you can enjoy new vegas is on pc unfortunately.  

Edited by Alex_Gorbatschow
  • Like 3

Thanks for the replies. I want to play it so bad. I think i just stick with the standard game so that i will somehiw enjoy it. As of dlc's i ll just buy one after i finish the main game and see from there how it goes. Thanks again guys.

Define playable? It is one of the buggiest and broken games I've ever played, so much so you will have to keep a can of Mortein by your side at all times, but damn if it isn't one of the best games ever. That's what makes it so frustrating, it's so damn good but so damn unplayable. Getting the platinum is a lot easier than Fallout 3 and I'd listen to the fellow posters above, blaze through it as fast as possible, because you'll have to do it a couple of times anyway. Focus of speech as much as you can to make it faster.

Edited by DreddPirateRobb
Spelling error
  • Like 1

I recently got platinum and 100% in 100 hours. I played half game then i started dlc. Dlc is really in bad condition very buggy freezes alot but dlc is actually better than main game.  After dlc i continued main game,shit really hit the fan after that especially near the end it kept freezing every 5 secs i kept resting every 5 secs im not joking. i enjoyed it anyway 

Edited by Abyss_Dreamer

• 2 weeks later...

Framerate feels like 25 and drops below way too often, movement is far jankier than on PC and the game freezes every hour or so, forcing me to restart the entire console.

It's not ideal but it's doable if you remember to save often and have patience. I have the base game (edit: and a Slim PS3), from what I've heard I wouldn't waste my time with the DLCs

Edited by Barbeqmeister

ive played more unstable games, like fallout 3 lmao. just kidding but if you can make it through 3 then vegas is about the same. the bigger the save file the more laggy it gets during combat. one time i froze and didnt have a save so i just left my ps3 on for hours and did other stuff and it unfroze lol. i finally picked up the dlc version a few months ago and finished it because it was on sale new at the store. theres really no game breaking bugs its just frusterating. and if you have the disc you can not papply the patch and level up to the max fairly early in the game depending what disc verison you have if you just wanna get through it. imo its still a good game. dead rising 2 on ps4 gave me more hell

Fallout 3 was rough at times but this is 10 times worse.

I’ve done everything to try to minimize save file sizes and slowdown/freezes but I’ve had to reset my console at least 3 times each day/time I’ve been playing because it either freezes outright or drops to 2fps.

Playable but you’re eventually gonna hit the wall.

Edited by Wagszilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Glowbugg said:

New Vegas is my favorite Fallout game. I found that if i played not signed in to psn it crashed a lot less. Also i didn't have any game breaking glitches, just crashes sometimes. If you save often not too big a deal.

I'll have to try that.  I played up to Novac and it crashed a few times.

The game was running perfectly fine for me on PS3, up until I installed the DLC. Now I can play for about 30 minutes before the frames drop, game freezes up, or the game stops loading between maps. I'm kicking myself for buying the DLC now, as it is pretty detrimental to the enjoyment of the game.

• 3 months later...

On my Ps3 Slim physical copy of Fallout NV crashed about once in every 3-4 hours without dlc's, so not bad, but on my Ps3 Super Slim it crashed all the time, don't know the reason.

When i installed the DLC's the game didn't crash more than before, but they increased random frame drops.

Fallout NV & 3 are still my top 5 games of all time.

Edited by TuomasH92

I have currently 67 hours on the clock and the game crashed 16 times. My hope was that the game would run more stable when I replaced the HDD with an SSD, but that didn't change anything except for faster loading times.

A general rule for this game is: When the game starts to suddenly go to a near standstill, mash the :start: button, save the game, and close it. Going back to the game's main menu won't work. The game has to be wiped from the RAM and this only works when exiting it completely. You should also quicksave every few minutes by pushing :select: and then :cross:.

All the we can hope for at this point is that Bethesda will finally remaster both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They deserve it!

Edited by Santa_in_Sandals
  • Like 4