This game is unfair

Of course I Barrel Roll, without them beating certain time trials is impossible, I guess. I'm not a WipEout pro player but I am skilled enough to beat hard time trials, for me it's ridiculous that despite that I keep losing standard races because, basically, I am not lucky. I even beat Zico in 2048 (Haven't tried yet in HD).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Hello.

I don't want to look like the classic mad guy who can't beat a videogame and so rants about it, I only want to share my experience with that game and know what you think about that.

Basically, the feeling I have is that game is 90% based on luck, luck, luck and nothing more than luck. With that, I mean that your result in a race consist on the power ups you receive, how the AI behaves, or a combination of both. I say that because, as a huge time trial lover (Not only in this game, but also in others, such as Crash Bandicoot), I have mostly been able to beat the Time Trials of this game in few attempts, and I believe the times were somehow challenging. Failing a time trial, than looking for shortcuts, mastering the race, and then beating the trial after practicing it just feels amazing to me, you feel like you got a huge accomplishment. That's how a whole videogame should be, for me.

Then, I would jump into a standard race that takes place in the same race where I just got in few attempts a good time in time trial, and would waste hours, achieving like fourth or fifth place despite driving exactly how I did in time trials. And why don't I win? Because I don't get the right powerups, and/or because the stupid AI keeps getting in my way and killing me. In a lot of occasions, I was leading the race as 1st, and just meters before the end of the race, someone would just rape me from behind, killing me in one shot, and there was nothing I could do despite witnessing my well driven race be erased by that: stupid AI and RNG. Without counting in some occasions when you could see  pathetic rubber banding: I remember some days ago, I was leading and I took a turbo right before the end of the race, but an opponent passed me by despite not taking the turbo, and surpassed me like 0.5 seconds before the end of the race. You have no idea how I felt.

Probably, racing games are not for me: one year ago I played Steep (A winter sport game), which is a really hard game with tough challenges, but I loved it, because everytime I failed a challenge, I would feel motivated to try again, and to keep it up until I was able to beat that challenge. I don't remember to ever feeling pissed about failing a challenge in Steep: instead, everytime I fail a race here in Wipeout (Besides time trials) I just feel like if I am wasting my time, and that the game is making fun of me. I feel like the game is completely unfair.

For now, I'll take a long break from that game, I prefer playing something else instead of wasting my time there. Let me know your thoughts, maybe I am exhaggerating, I'd like to know if someone experienced something similar with this game.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQl_8Bb4nXoXnfl_z13x_8

Don't lose time posting your complains, what you have to do is play and play and play. 

If you frustrate yourself, you will get nothing. That's how I got it. 

Edited by Carttagos

19 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:
24 minutes ago, Carttagos said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQl_8Bb4nXoXnfl_z13x_8I was waiting for the usual very funny guy begging for thumbs up replying in such a disrespectul way. Congrats. Great attitude.

So, is it correct to cheer up a guy who's complaining about that this game is based on luck??? 

Someone has to do the dirty work here, and my advise for you was and it will be play, play and play. I suffered with this game, you have no idea, but I did not waste like 30m posting about how unfair is this game. 

Gaming has always been like this, you have to train if you want to succeed.

Cheers.

Edited by Carttagos

It's not luck it's skill I'm afraid, whilst there are instances of getting hit at the finishing line and losing the race, it's nothing compared to Wipeout HD, that game I would say involved a lot of luck.

I won't say this game is easy but keep practicing and mastering the courses and you should be fine.

• Like 2

I don't consider the game unfair at all.

A bit of luck is involved like in pretty much any game anyway.

You just need a bit of strategy. If you get a shit weapon, just absorb it to regain health, so that you can eventually get mines, shield or bomb to keep the AI far from you if you are 1st. Otherwise if you are not 1st then eventually you get a turbo powerup (that may also come while 1st too) which you can then use in some spots for a big jump/cut and then 1-2 or even 3 barrel rolls in a row and you already get a huge gap from all the pilots. Since the AI does not barrel roll nor adjusts its position to pick some weapons, I'd say that this is unfair for the AI itself.

• Like 1

I appreciate your comments, really, even if I don't agree with them. By the way, one thing: I didn't create this thread to complain, but to share my experience with this game and know what you think about it.

Posting that pic by itself, well, I didn't appreciate that at all, you were making fun of me. Telling me to just keep trying and trying is a better thing, at least you told me something. As said, I don't agree with the fact that it's not luck but skill, because losing all the times because of randomness is not fair in my opinion. You surely have to be skilled, but my feeling is that I am not lucky enough.

I still respect the fact that you got the Platinum. I don't want to fight at all, I simply didn't appreciate at all that you posted that pic without anything else, that's not a good attitude.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KenjiCBZ said:

I appreciate your comments, really, even if I don't agree with them. By the way, one thing: I didn't create this thread to complain, but to share my experience with this game and know what you think about it.

Posting that pic by itself, well, I didn't appreciate that at all, you were making fun of me. Telling me to just keep trying and trying is a better thing, at least you told me something. As said, I don't agree with the fact that it's not luck but skill, because losing all the times because of randomness is not fair in my opinion. You surely have to be skilled, but my feeling is that I am not lucky enough.

I still respect the fact that you got the Platinum. I don't want to fight at all, I simply didn't appreciate at all that you posted that pic without anything else, that's not a good attitude.

No issues here, I posted the pic just to "inspired" you to come back and try again. 

I understand you 100% as I like to try to platinum hard games. 

• Like 1

A little tip. Give the AI a couple of seconds head start. Let rhe field even itself out. Then try overtaking then 1 by 1. Hopefully by the end of the race you should be in the lead, if you try to take the lead right away that's when the ai will give you the most problems. 

Also absorb any crap weapons like the cannon, bomb to maintain your ship health and try to barrell roll at any opportunity possible. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 4:42 AM, Arcesius said:

It sounds like you are putting too much emphasis on the weapon pick-ups,

This, This and This.

I played the PS3 version and that's how I played... frustrating and annoying.

Going through the game again on the PS4 there is a WORLD of difference when i just master the track and vehicle over the weapons.

Don't get me wrong, weapons and boosts are nice, but you can easily win by achieving "perfect laps"... or the closest thing you can to it. :)

On 5/26/2020 at 6:01 AM, zero7uk_ said:

Also absorb any crap weapons like the cannon, bomb to maintain your ship health and try to barrell roll at any opportunity possible. 

Again, as long as it's valid on some spots on some tracks... I have had to break the habit from the first time I played... it's quicker to go regular speed and not hit a wall then use a boost and lose momentum.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Yo! :D

It's been almost two years: I wanted to update everyone that I have almost achieved the Platinum, I only miss few races and they shouldn't be too hard. My opinion hasn't really changed: I still believe that luck plays a vital role in traditional races (Only in them, I point out, not in other events), expecially during the HD Campaign, unfortunately I burned out too easily. I also admit that two years ago I wasn't as skilled as I am now, I have improved a lot. If you keep playing and improving, you can definitely overcome bad luck and rubberbanding. And I also admit that at the beginning I didn't know you could absorb weapons :P

Good luck to anyone who is trying to achieve this Platinum. It is very difficult and bad luck and rubberbanding don't help, but when you get skilled you get to love this game, it's very rewarding. And thanks again to the folks who encouraged me two years ago.

Congrats man! That sounds good. Yes, this game is very rewarding and awesome! However the AI is cheap, no doubt about that. The hardest part about the Omega Collection for me were the zone events in 2048. They are just brutal ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2020-05-26 at 3:50 AM, KenjiCBZ said:

Probably, racing games are not for me: one year ago I played Steep (A winter sport game), which is a really hard game with tough challenges, but I loved it, because everytime I failed a challenge, I would feel motivated to try again, and to keep it up until I was able to beat that challenge. I don't remember to ever feeling pissed about failing a challenge in Steep: instead, everytime I fail a race here in Wipeout (Besides time trials) I just feel like if I am wasting my time, and that the game is making fun of me. I feel like the game is completely unfair.

Your post resonated with me quite a bit Kenji, especially this bit right here. I’ve been trying my hand at more racing games lately and sadly, I’m coming to terms with the fact that they just might not be for me either. ☹️

I also platinumed Steep, and just like you I absolutely loved it. It was quite challenging at times, but with a game like this there’s always a set pattern to each run or trial or whatever, so it always feels like you can practice and get better and eventually overcome the challenge. With every failure you still feel like you’re making progress.

But with some of these racing games… man. It just feels like there are so many variables that are completely out of your control, and half of the time you end up dealing with random bullshit and relying more on dumb luck to win than any skill or knowledge you’ve gained up to that point. It’s incredibly frustrating, and for me personally it quickly boils over into a rage that leaves me mentally exhausted.

I think I’ll still give WipeOut Omega collection a shot because I’ve heard so many great things about it and it seems to be revered by many despite its reputation as being very challenging and having a steep learning curve. I just hope it’s not as unfair and frustrating as some recent racers I’ve played like Team Sonic Racing and GRIP Combat Racing. ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

This game is notorious for its difficulty 

Yeah but there is a line between difficult and cheap that shouldn't be crossed. Standard races in the HD Campaign fuck that line :P

@dieselmanchild Go for it. The game is very unforgiving and requires a lot of skill, and as i said the HD Races are complete bullshit, but if you can clear them, then you can definitely clear everything else and get the Platinum. I had raged at this game countless times, but its Platinum was very rewarding and I think it was worth it. Definitely one of the best experiences I ever had on a PS4 game ?

Edited by KenjiCBZ
  • Like 2

I have the platinum of Wipeout HD Fury and no, it's not luck dependant at all. Of course some luck can change the course of the battle, but it's not the main factor to decide.

Yeah sometimes it will be frustrating but believe me, once you complete the campaign on Elite (specially tournaments) you almost got the platinum in your hands.

Maybe beating Zico can give you problems, but if you really know how to drive, then you shouldn't have any problem.