What game(s) brought your completion streak to an end?

DaveMcDamage

Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 on the PS3 killed off me being a 100 percent completionist.

I'm not too hot and bothered with having near 100 percent completion. I'm sitting at a 96.3 percent which is still better than most trophy hunters in terms of completion, and with as many trophies as I have I'm happy with what I've been able to accomplish.

I can't see myself getting 100 percent in Red Dead Redemption nor 100 percent in Resogun. I hate online boosting with a passion, I only do it if I feel it's really necessary, such as the Boosting Lanes trophy from Far Cry 4.

Going back to games on PS3 that have online trophies is just a chore. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood can be done in 5 - 6 hours if you have a good boosting group. But that's just it, you need a good team. The chances of somebody slipping up, or somebody getting disconnected due to shitty internet is so high I'm not sure if it's even worth the hassle.

Then there's stuff like Grand Theft Auto V which is extremely time consuming for online trophies. Even worse on the PS4 version, and I had the audacity to stack GTA V with neither version being done. I can't even do the PS3 version anymore because of Run Like the Wind.

Unless you really plan out your games, you just have to face the consequences of not being able to 100 percent everything either due to online or due to lack of skill.

I'm definitely a completionist, and sitting around at 96 - 98 percent completion is good enough for me.

• Like 2

Lots of games for me, especially the PS3 ones which I will never go back to.... disgaea D2, Tales of symphonia and DOTW, Tales of zestiria.

On the PS4, it was the Kingdom Hearts games. I only got the platinum in KH3, but the plats in the other games were way to difficult and time consuming as i can never beat them on critical mode and am horrible at mini games. The KH3 ones were a real challenge for me and they are meant to be the easier of the KH mini games. I played the KH games for fun, but really hated rumble racing and ice cream beat, so no plat for me in the rest. Also KH CoM is a nightmare. 

i have persona 4 golden on my vita which i keep meaning to go back to but never have in the past few years. One day I will go back for the plat, but it's just so long... 

1 hour ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Lots of games for me, especially the PS3 ones which I will never go back to.... disgaea D2, Tales of symphonia and DOTW, Tales of zestiria.

On the PS4, it was the Kingdom Hearts games. I only got the platinum in KH3, but the plats in the other games were way to difficult and time consuming as i can never beat them on critical mode and am horrible at mini games. The KH3 ones were a real challenge for me and they are meant to be the easier of the KH mini games. I played the KH games for fun, but really hated rumble racing and ice cream beat, so no plat for me in the rest. Also KH CoM is a nightmare. 

i have persona 4 golden on my vita which i keep meaning to go back to but never have in the past few years. One day I will go back for the plat, but it's just so long... 

Seen you around the forums and noticed you do like a Japanese game or two. Not surprising your completion streaks come to an end, I'm confident that Japanese games as a collective are far more difficult than games from other countries. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Seen you around the forums and noticed you do like a Japanese game or two. Not surprising your completion streaks come to an end, I'm confident that Japanese games as a collective are far more difficult than games from other countries. 

Yeah they are all so time consuming, most of them cross the 100 hour mark per game so it's hard to be a trophy hunter with just Japanese games. Not just the RPGs like FF and Disgaea, but also other genres from Japan like the Yakuza games are are loaded with difficult mini games and time repetitive consuming tasks.  

On 8/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Hi everyone, and apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure if it was suited to this of off-topic. 

Anyway. Basically its all about those gamers who go for completion streaks but eventually see it all come crashing down. 

Now since the 360/PS3 era I sort of made my own entertainment with the trophy/achievement system. Sport game profiles, FPS profiles, RPG profiles etc etc and all with the intention of getting 100% completion for trophies/achievements on the games. Most times it ends in failure and mostly because some games just suck so much that I couldn't bare to finish them. Only 3 games ever caused me to quit simply because they were just way above my game skills.

First it was CoD Modern Warfare. Could never get that Mile High finished. Second game was Ninja Gaiden 2. Now that I sort of hated but I also have to admit that I didn't stand a chance against it. 

Now the third game which has caused me to call it a day is Judgement from RGG. Now whats super sucky about this is that this was my very last profile which I wanted to get 50 games done to completion from single player only games (with the exception of Hitman games and No Mans Sky containing online trophies). Now I swore I would never touch another RGG game after finishing Yakuza 6. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the franchise overall, but it was way too samey. So when I found out about Judgement being in the same location, same mini games, same moves and whatnot I said no. That was until the fantastic summer sale which is currently on. Oh how that fantabulous bargain has destroyed me. 

Now whilst I can say I wasn't blown away by what I played, I would have kept going none the less if I could progress, but lack of skill and luck against RNG has caused me to quit. Couldn't beat Virtua Fighter 5, couldn't beat Viper Fighters, couldn't beat pinball but what truly wrecked me was Puyo Puyo. I can cry all day long how unfair that game is and how its structured, but others have done it and so I have to simply admit I suck monkey balls at it and after 20 hours on that mini game alone, I accept defeat no matter how much it guts me. 

Despite my games for the most part being at 100% completion, I have never considered myself a good video gamer. I've used guides here or there and most of my completions came from perseverance rather than actual skill.  And I definitely never considered myself a completionist as that implies I would attempt anything, I considered myself more of a gamer who wanted the 100% from the games he really wanted to play. Also. Age is starting to definitely show with gaming. Long gone are the days when I could button mash with ease lol. 

Now you could ask why not play the games and not go for trophies. Well again this comes down to age for me. Since I'm an older gamer, for me there is a line between entertainment and playing with a toy. Now the trophies give me goals, and whilst I have to do the same as every other gamer to obtain them, it feels a bit more grown up to have goals. Where as just dicking about on a game like wrecking shit for hours on end, thats more like a toy and way to young minded for me. 

So what games caused you to either end your streak or put you off trophies altogether?

I used to play Virtua Fighter competitively and its a tough ol game for the unaccustomed. I defo agree with Puyopuyo tho. Horrid.

A few pains that put me off hunting... (i have no big streaks!)

- Slime Rancher, an unbridled mess.

- Path of Exile, too much dedication

- Valhalla Hills, CHEAP gameplay. 

Over the years I’ve had many games that halted my 100% completion for months. A few that come to mind:

God of War (PS3): I just hate full game speedrun trophies. Took more than a year to actually go for it.

Yesterday Origins: Another full game speedrun trophy. 7 months before I did it.

Broken Age: Hey look, another full game speedrun trophy. I’m starting to see a pattern here. Close to a year before I got it.

There are more but these I remember the best. Although in the end I’ve always got the trophies.

Currently I have SMB, Wolfenstein II & Ys Origin incomplete. Also already for over a year now. Don’t know when or if I’ll ever complete it.

Edit: I’ve also just started Judgment. I can’t believe this Puyo Puyo minigame is that hard. The platinum rarity is around 5%.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, punkshepherd said:

I used to play Virtua Fighter competitively and its a tough ol game for the unaccustomed. I defo agree with Puyopuyo tho. Horrid.

Yeah I was sort of hoping it would be like Tekken, two punch buttons, two kick buttons. But I cannot get a decent configuration figured out so I can nail some combos together. 

1 hour ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Yeah they are all so time consuming, most of them cross the 100 hour mark per game so it's hard to be a trophy hunter with just Japanese games. Not just the RPGs like FF and Disgaea, but also other genres from Japan like the Yakuza games are are loaded with difficult mini games and time repetitive consuming tasks.  

I think the longest games to complete in the Yakuza games are Yakuza Zero at 125 hours for me, but I shit you not it was an amazing 125 hours. Then Yakuza 5 Remastered which for most is there favourite game next to Zero, but for me it was a massive 154 hour turd fest. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I think the longest games to complete in the Yakuza games are Yakuza Zero at 125 hours for me, but I shit you not it was an amazing 125 hours. Then Yakuza 5 Remastered which for most is there favourite game next to Zero, but for me it was a massive 154 hour turd fest. 

Got to love the minigames including the old SEGA arcade cabinets. Unfortunately you have to do Mahjong, which I know absolutely nothing about. 

Yakuza Kiwami I have thru PS Plus, hopefully I don't have to play Mahjong in that game.

I never owned a PS3, or really had an online account on previous console generations. I didn't create my PS account with the goal in mind of having a 100% profile, but after getting 100% in my first game, GoW 3 remastered, I followed it up with two games I had already played a couple of times on the PS2: Final Fantasy X (yay!) and X-2 (meh..) ? I got 100% on those, and kept doing that with everything I started.

That was 5 years ago. And for the last 4 - 4.5 years, I've never had my completion streak end. 

But then... last December I started Pier Solar and the Great Architects, an old-school turn-based RPG originally released on the SEGA Megadrive. And... It is still sitting at 88% completion on my profile. The only thing I need for the platinum is to complete the "Slippery Minigame". I fucking hate that piece of shit minigame. ? So much so that despite having complete way harder games, I just can't find the motivation to sit down and go for this plat. 

I will get it eventually, of that I am 100% sure. Once that's the case, I will probably update this thread with Crypt of the NecroDancer, which I have at 66%. At least, while way more difficult, that one is really fun to play. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

Got to love the minigames including the old SEGA arcade cabinets. Unfortunately you have to do Mahjong, which I know absolutely nothing about. 

Yakuza Kiwami I have thru PS Plus, hopefully I don't have to play Mahjong in that game.

I think you do mate. 

Yakuza Zero was my first Yakuza game and I too feared the Mahjong. By the completion it ended up being my favourite mini-game and I looked forward to playing it in all the other games. Its basically a case of getting pairs, triplets, straights, half straights. Its basically a more complex version of Rummy. Complex in that there is so much to get out of it, but if you just want to get it done then you can do so with just basic knowledge. 

The RNG stiffs you, but to be honest it doesn't bother me in those sort of games, because it would be no different to playing 3 other humans trying to flip me over. Puyo Puyo on the other hand is a creation that would even make Satan look at RGG with a 'you've gone too far this time'. 

I can't state enough how difficult that mini-game and not once in my gaming life have I spent 25+ hours trying to do one single thing. I was gutted it crippled my streak, but I just couldn't take it anymore. 

Other than that the Yakuza games have some pretty decent mini-games, but it goes to shit with the Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 remasters as the mechanics are outdated dog shit. Basically it took them 6 games to get it right with Yakuza Zero, then the Kiwami remakes were well done too. I would honestly say stop at Yakuza Zero as no other Yakuza game beats it, but if you love your stories then by all means continue, but after Kiwami 2 it falls on its arse and doesn't get good story and dialog again until Yakuza 6.

Damn man! I wish I would have just accepted defeat with Puyo Puyo on Judgement. I get its my last ever profile attempt and so wanted to make it to 50 games, but this is just making me miserable now. I honestly had no idea gaming could be this difficult/unfair with its RNG.

Remember the old days when games had cheats. I wish I had one of those motherf**kers right now lol. 

Anybody else refusing to accept defeat or wishing they could actually give up?

Pain on PS3 made me realise I was never going to have 100% from the beginning so I never had a completion streak. But Ghostbusters: The Video Game and Portal 2 ruined me getting platinum in every game where I tried to go for it. Damn multiplayer trophies

This account I'm on is the one I'm making sure a trophy list is doable. 

But my former main..

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

The Last of Us

Portal 2

Killzone 2

Killzone 3

White Knight Chronicles

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Ghostbusters

NHL 10

Lost Planet 2

All PS3 games

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks
Remembered I had more

6 minutes ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Brightblade76 is legit.

Easily one of the best players on this site.

In trems of real skill I mean.

I was just teasing him. 

I RESPECT the man lol anyone who could 100% White Knight Chronicles... 

I will go Wayne's World and get on my knees and bow yelling "I'm not worthy!"

22 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I will go Wayne's World and get on my knees and bow yelling "I'm not worthy!"

Awesome movie. Defines the 1990s in a nutshell.

Comedy movies today aren't half as good as what we used to get back in the day.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Brightblade76 is legit.

Easily one of the best players on this site.

In trems of real skill I mean.

Well this is a big exaggeration. I mean it’s a very nice profile, but in terms of skill I don’t see anything impressive. There are far better gamers and profiles on this site. Just my opinion ofcourse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Well this is a big exaggeration. I mean it’s a very nice profile, but in terms of skill I don’t see anything impressive. There are far better gamers and profiles on this site. Just my opinion ofcourse.

I mean hes probbly top 25 at least, but not everyone can be floriiss I guess. 

Now that guy is the number 1 skill hunter on this site.

• Like 1