I can confirm that assist mode...

NeMeSiS850

I only realized Assist Mode was a thing after getting the platinum and tbh, I'd like to know it sooner because I almost gave up during Dr. Tomasii's side mission. I was fully maxed out, all my weapons were insanely modded and yet that stupid Hiss Distorted would appear out of nowhere and one-hit kill me. I liked this game, but the combat can be VERY unbalanced. Like someone said in the previous page, it's ridiculous that your character can have all the abilities unlocked and yet still dies after two hits. It's like upgrading and going through that entire nonsense of finding parts + mods is worthless. 

Well, now I'm going to try Expeditions with Assist Mode on. Blowing all the Hiss up without being worried that at any moment I can die stupidly is going to make it much more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Interesting. The arcade thing kicked my butt and I don’t feel like I’m bad at the game overall by any stretch having played it twice. I’d like to wrap up the completion despite having earned the platinum awhile back, and that would make it a nice casual dive back in as opposed to having to retrain myself on the mechanics all over again in a late stage playthrough. 

• 1 year later...

I don't know why people are mad about this. Like how does this affect your enjoyment of the game? If you hate this option, then that is your prerogative, but seeing how half of the other comments saying this game is hard and this helped, then it has served a purpose. Hell just don't use it. Nobody is forcing you and you shouldn't gatekeep other people like an elitist. And i disagree with this disabling trophies. But different strokes for different folks I suppose.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HeroFangGhetz said:

I don't know why people are mad about this

Some people are all for leaderboards and statistics and they see that their struggle with a hard game should be everyone's struggle.

And I get that. Having an option to really cheese the game denotes the prestige for someone who has done it the 'legit way'.

On the other hand, it was the developers choice to include this feature in the game and too keep trophies unlocked while doing it. There is nothing you can do about it.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Annoyingtiger888 said:

Even simple games have become very hard for me to play and it's frustrating because I just want to be like everyone else, to enjoy games and be able to actually complete them, even if I have to have a little help along the way. Gaming and trophies shouldn't be limited to only those who don't need help to get through a game. It shouldn't be so important to you that you put others down for needing that help. Trust me, we feel bad enough about needing the help without some assholes coming around and saying we shouldn't be allowed to earn trophies because we did need that help.

The problem with this is that you're assuming that trophies are something that gamers are inherently entitled to, which is... not true. Trophies (and really achievements as a whole) exist to be markers of achievement. You are not expected to earn every single trophy in every game you play. Trophies are there to celebrate the achievements of people who go the extra mile - playing a game for a long time, beating a game on the hardest difficulty, etc. If you cannot get through a game, let alone 100% it... that's fine. There are plenty of games I can't platinum, and that's true for every trophy hunter.

It seems like there's a lot of newer trophy hunters who've forgotten that achievements are supposed to be... well, achieved, and not just a participation trophy you get for finishing a game. At that point, what is even the point of trophy hunting? If there's nothing to achieve in achievements, all your trophy hunting amounts to is a meaningless number game, and you may as well start investing in shovelware at that point.

Your arguments for gamers being able to get through games regardless of skill level or ability is valid, but you conflate games with trophies. Trophies are not an essential part of games, and nobody is entitled to them - they're markers of achievement. Developers who put ridiculous trophies in their games that take hundreds of hours to complete do not expect every player to spend hundreds of hours trying to earn those trophies, they put them in because they want to reward the players who like their games enough to play them for hundreds of hours. Why should people who put significant time and energy into games be denied rewards for their investment just so that a game's platinum can be reduced to a participation trophy?

I sympathize with your issues, although my neurodivergency hasn't interfered with gaming much outside of making me avoid horror games and multiplayer interactions, but... it's okay to not earn trophies in a game. In fact, it's completely normal. Trophy hunters occupy an extreme niche and even among us most of us don't 100% every game we play.

And yeah, it's okay for easy games to exist too. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to earn trophies in Control. Ultimately it's the developer's decision how hard they make their trophy lists. But it's still disappointing when a game you like has an underwhelming trophy list. When trophies are at their best, I feel like I've committed myself to a good game and pushed through to earn a platinum. But when trophy lists are reduced to participation trophies, they feel hollow and meaningless, because they don't come anywhere near my passion for a game. Instead of being markers of accomplishments, they just end up being the equivalent of a badge that says "I played this game!" Like. Okay, great. I'll put it with all the others, I guess. It's the difference between getting a prize for getting first place in a competition and getting a prize just for showing up.

I struggle with depression and apathy in regards to gaming. That's a big reason of why I trophy hunt. Going for platinums (and especially difficult ones) helps me feel like I'm challenging myself and making progress in my gaming. Having a goal to work towards is good for me. And since I do not struggle with gaming as much as you do, those goals need to be difficult for them to feel impactful to me. If every game had an easy trophy list, I would not have any such goals to work towards, and I would struggle to motivate myself to play games. So I guess it's a good thing that we have both lists like Control's as well as the harder ones that I enjoy.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cloud_SOLDAT said:

So a person with a disability/handicap, using assist mode, ain't allowed to earn trophies? Just sayin'.

Not everything has to be attainable by everyone and that’s okay. I mean I couldn’t win a marathon. But I wouldn’t want the organisers to pander to me and give me first place.

On 19.1.2023 at 3:06 AM, RedDevil757 said:

Not everything has to be attainable by everyone and that’s okay. I mean I couldn’t win a marathon. But I wouldn’t want the organisers to pander to me and give me first place.

So handicapped just have to git gud and play the game like a "normal" person to earn the right to unlock trophies?

Besides, you could win a marathon with training, someone with a disability can train as much as they want, it wouldn't grow them limbs or improve the mobility of those.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cloud_SOLDAT said:

So handicapped just have to git gud and play the game like a "normal" person to earn the right to unlock trophies?

Besides, you could win a marathon with training, someone with a disability can train as much as they want, it wouldn't grow them limbs or improve the mobility of those.

I would say there is nothing wrong with making games more accesable if someone choose to but trophies shouldn't be inclusive imo, they are not really part of a game.

If everybody can have it with no issue it's not an achivement.

Edited by WiktorM101
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, WiktorM101 said:

I would say there is nothing wrong with making games more accesable if someone choose to but trophies shouldn't be inclusive imo, they are not really part of a game.

I would argue that a marathon isn't a good analogy in this case as a marathon can be, more or less, considered a competition so yes everyone should have even ground. Besides marathons have their own disabled counterpart allowing those disabled to participate in essentially the same sport but with different rulesets.

Trophies and achievements hunting isn't really a competition (leaderboard aside) and more a personal thing. Someone earning a trophy doesn't mean you can't earn yours. In my opinion, moving trophies to meet someone's disability isn't a bad thing and gives everyone a chance to earn the same challenge in their own way. Now I also believe that not all trophies should be obtainable otherwise what would be the point? So there shouldn't always be an option to turn on a setting turning every trophy/game into a 1/10. But ,let's say, trophies for completing a game, or getting 20 headshots, or platforming in non-platforming games, isn't something that shouldn't be gated because of the inability to physically press buttons.

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 1

Maybe we can ask the developer to change it so that disabled people have to upload their certificate of disability and get a unique unlock code for assist mode, bcs healthy people are abusing it to have an easier time. Sarcasm. It also would be discriminating.

Actually it's the only reason why people here are pissed, no? The platinum lost it's "value". Same with The Evil Within 2, when it got the cheat mode, "I earned it legitimately and now everyone can get it".

On 20/01/2023 at 8:10 PM, Cloud_SOLDAT said:

Fyi I've disabilities that make trophy hunting a lot harder. The last thing I want is to be pandered too. Again not everything has to be attainable by everyone.

If trophy hunting was the Olympics. Everyone that turns up to the Triathlon would receive gold upon arriving. They'd also get a sticker for being awesome before the event starts too. Of course there would still be a group demanding an easy mode and another group asking if this gold enables them to go get the gold medals for other events too. When the winter Olympics start they'll be asking if they can autopop their golds as they already 'earned' them once this year.

On 20/01/2023 at 8:26 PM, WiktorM101 said:

Finally someone that lives in the real world. I thought I was alone.

On 20/01/2023 at 9:24 PM, ARIXANDRE said:

The first time I played Control, it didn't have assists or God Mode. It turned out to be my GOTY 2019. 

When I went for the stacks, a couple years later, I turned God Mode on and it made the game one of the most boring experiences I've ever had in gaming.

Some people on here have never played a game that challenged them. They either avoided them, glitched them or used easy mode cheats. So they won't understand that at all.

It's either that or they're that obsessed with being politically correct that they don't realise what nonsense they're coming out with.

Edited by RedDevil757
Formatting
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Fyi I've disabilities that make trophy hunting a lot harder. The last thing I want is to be pandered too. Again not everything has to be attainable by everyone.

If trophy hunting was the Olympics. Everyone that turns up to the Triathlon would receive gold upon arriving. They'd also get a sticker for being awesome before the event starts too. Of course there would still be a group demanding an easy mode and another group asking if this gold enables them to go get the gold medals for other events too. When the winter Olympics start they'll be asking if they can autopop their golds as they already 'earned' them once this year.

Finally someone that lives in the real world. I thought I was alone.

Some people on here have never played a game that challenged them. They either avoided them, glitched them or used easy mode cheats. So they won't understand that at all.

It's either that or they're that obsessed with being politically correct that they don't realise what nonsense they're coming out with.

Just bcs you don't want something, doesn't mean nobody else should have it.

Ofc you never used a guide, walkthrough or looked something up, right?

I'm the last person to be "pc". Pfft.

2 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

2 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

I mean, some people on this site play Stroke The Jumping Pretty Bear B Turbo Journey Nitro trash for pathetically quick and easy plats, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment in trophy hunting the way I want. If others want to plat a game using an invincibility toggle, who cares? It in no way affects your experience if you don't use it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Groudon199 said:

I mean, some people on this site play Stroke The Jumping Pretty Bear B Turbo Journey Nitro trash for pathetically quick and easy plats, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment in trophy hunting the way I want. If others want to plat a game using an invincibility toggle, who cares? It in no way affects your experience if you don't use it.

Myself and my friends all used to trophy hunt. It was a fun way to see how we stacked up against each other and everyone else. Now that's no longer possible. The top 100 aren't the most skilled. There are no leaderboards (that I know of) that cater to skill based players.

Let's not forget the whole system started as a competitive award system. You had to master a game to get platinum/1000gs. 

Once you allow things like cheats, debugs, autopops and glitches into a competitive system it kills it. It's why if you get found cheating in any other competitive environment you either get banned, fined or the team or whatever you represent faces harsh repercussions.

It's gone from skill based to Pokémon. Who can collect them all no matter the rarity. People like myself kick up because we miss what trophy hunting was

More power and options for people with disabilities is always welcome, as well as making trophies viable for them. The industry is going that way, specially Sony. 

I'm also not condemning people with no disabilities that use these Accessibility options but, like in Control and Last of Us 2, it made the trophy hunt/experience extremely boring. 

• Like 2

On 23/01/2023 at 2:34 AM, Cloud_SOLDAT said:

As if someone forces you to use assist modes. But hey, whatever makes you happy.

It's not because of assist modes lol. I just find retro gaming holds my attention way more these days. It's all about gameplay. They don't hold my hand and pull me through the game or constantly try and sell me extras ?