Playstation Network Ban

xVolloxx

Good luck B . . .I am usually a dedicated Sony fanboi but this is ridiculously unfair. That being said, I am looking up everyone who is ahead of me on the American leaderboard and if their name is even close to borderline offensive, I'm reporting them to Sony(to move up some spots!)

I'm kidding . . .but not really. Really though, I'm kidding.

• Like 1

The problem with this thread is it lacks objectivity. Objectively speaking, the literal meaning of bollocks is testicles, which can be considered an offensive term. That's the bottom line. Enough people have found it offensive that they've bothered to report you, so Sony has banned your ID.

If you're going to use Wikipedia as a defense, look a bit further down the page -

Originally, the word "bollocks" was the everyday vernacular word for testicles—as noted above, it was used in this sense in the first English-language bible, in the 14th century. By the mid-seventeenth century, at least, it had begun to acquire coarse figurative meanings (see section on "bollocking"), for example in a translation of works by Rabelais.

It did not appear in Samuel Johnson's 1755 dictionary of the English language.[2] It was also omitted from the 1933 Oxford English Dictionary and its 1941 reprint, finally appearing in the 1972 supplement.[3] The first modern English dictionary to include an entry for the bollocks was G. N. Garmonsway's Penguin English Dictionary of 1965.[citation needed]

The relative severity of the various profanities, as perceived by the British public, was studied on behalf of the Broadcasting Standards Commission, Independent Television Commission, BBC and Advertising Standards Authority. The results of this jointly commissioned research were published in December 2000 in a paper called "Delete Expletives?".[4] This placed "bollocks" in eighth position in terms of its perceived severity, between "prick" (seventh place) and "arsehole" (ninth place).[5] By comparison, the word "balls" (which has some similar meanings) was down in 22nd place. Of the people surveyed, 25% thought that "bollocks" should not be broadcast at all, and only 11% thought that it could acceptably be broadcast at times before the national 9 pm "watershed" on television (radio does not have a watershed).[6] 25% of the people regarded "bollocks" as "very severe", 32% "quite severe", 34% "mild" and 8% considered it "not swearing".[7]

A survey of the language of London teenagers (published in 2002) examined, amongst other things, the incidence of various swearwords in their speech. It noted that the top ten swearwords make up 81% of the total swearwords. "Bollocks" was the seventh most frequent swearword, after "fucking", "shit", "fuck", "bloody", "hell" and "fuck off". Below "Bollocks", were "bastard", "bitch" and "damn", in eighth, ninth and tenth places.[8] This research regarded these words as swearwords in the context of their usage but noted that some might be inoffensive in other contexts.[9]

While I sympathise with your situation, the reality is that the law applies objectively, not subjectively - it's what most people perceive that is more important than personal opinion. I might find the name C♥nty McFuckFace inert, but my personal opinion means exactly jack shit in a legal sense. In comparison, the majority of people find the term "bollocks" to be either very severe or quite severely offensive while only 8% considered it not swearing, and that's going to be Sony's defense.

When put in context "Never mind the bollocks, here's the Sex Pistols" means "Never mind the nonsense, here's the Sex Pistols" rather than "Never mind the testicles, here's the Sex Pistols"...which makes no sense, hence the court ruling in their favour. But "bollocks" in the context of "nonsense" could be substituted with "bullshit", "horseshit" or "crap" - is it ok to use those as PSN IDs? Relatively speaking, they're still pretty inoffensive, but it's the literal meaning that takes precedence over the colloquial. "Fuck this shit" contextually means "This is nonsense" - does that make it ok too?

You can stomp your feet as much as you like but objectively speaking, you're in the wrong here not Sony, and you're preaching to the converted, not an impartial jury. So maybe cut your losses and move on...you can't win this fight.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 4

I just find them to be hypocritical. I'm looking through trophies they allow anyone on PSN to see or earn like, "Blue Balls" "Blowin' Your Wad" "You Bastards!" just to name a few.

That doesn't mean Sony condones it, it means they're yet to be caught.

Keep in mind there are 90 million PSN accounts. Sony can't manually police them all, hence the reporting system. If enough people report a name, they'll investigate and ban an account.

Don't want to be banned? Don't pick a potentially offensive name and / or don't act like a dick on the PSN. Simples.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Keep in mind there are 90 million PSN accounts. Sony can't manually police them all, hence the reporting system. If enough people report a name, they'll investigate and ban an account.

Don't want to be banned? Don't pick a potentially offensive name and / or don't act like a dick on the PSN. Simples.

No what he was saying is you can earn a trophy in a game called Blowin Your Wad-but if I made my PSN account Blowinyourwad I would get banned.

I for one don't care about names on PSN and it sucks that people have to lose their accounts. It is a shame that they just can't switch your account over to a new one with a different name (keeping all your trophies, downloads etc.)

• Like 2

I just find them to be hypocritical. I'm looking through trophies they allow anyone on PSN to see or earn like, "Blue Balls" "Blowin' Your Wad" "You Bastards!" just to name a few.

Don't worry, the game developers were reported and can no longer make games for Sony.

• Like 1

The action Sony takes here is understandable and just. Although an option should exist to transfer data between a banned account and a new one.

I do sympathise with your situation. If I read correctly Sony UK was willing to aid you in transferring to a new account, but not a Sony branche from another country? This could be something for you to talk about with the customerservice.  

Pretty sure they have already answered you in previous emails. Repeating your grievances will not make them change their mind and they have better things to do than repeat the same things again and again to a disgruntled customers, hell we all get bored with repeating the same thing to the same person over and over.

Antithesis explained it perfectly to you, not only the reason, but with a whole explanation. Whether you want to hear it that reasoning or not is different. Sony are not in the wrong here, you are.

End of the day it has been deemed offensive, whether we think it is or not, so they wont go back on that decision, which is what they are clearly stating in the email.

I must admit that I have been surprised by a lot of user names, but they never seem to last too long on the PSN.

Right. They say you're in breach of the ToS because they've judged your name is offensive. The only way you could therefore come back within the ToS would be to prove your name is not offensive- which is not possible, because at the end of the day it's their call. As stated in their email the audience is 7+ or whatever. Your PSN ID is not age restricted like those games with swearing and rude trophies probably are. Your PSN ID is visible to all ages, and for a little kid the name is not appropriate.

Yes. Although an entirely irresposible basis for a justice system, unfortunately this is the world we live in. Just think about all the things in life you do or could do and would get away with unless unfortunately you get busted. That's the kind of patchy inconsistent legal framework world we live in and in this case you have been caught.

...Anyone else notice how it doesn't add up? What "online activity"? If I go out onto the street with an obscenity written on my T-shirt, do I get nicked for my "activity"? And how is it "severe" (let alone in the plural)? Not to mention the terrible form "BANREASON" as pointed out already by renatabls. It may be legitimate but it's nonetheless invalid.

If anything, you should be suing for wrongful termination, not unfair termination. Okay. That was a joke.

By the way, for godsakes, you can't use "WIKI" as a source. Wikipedia is not a source. Hold the notion that wikipedia lists and summarises real sources. In this case, wikipedia cites The Times, which is a reputable source but unfortunately hidden behind a paywall so most of us probably will never get to read the full article.

The second paragraph of that section refers to a man who had the words "Bollocks to [Tony] Blair" printed on t-shirts he was selling and was fined by the police quoting Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 which refers to language "deemed to cause harassment, alarm or distress". (not "outdoor activity" as I joked above lol). One can only assume he lost the case.

Edited by Prem-aka-Prince

While like i said it's very doubtful that they will change their mind 

I still feel 

TheBolloxx 

Is not offensive , Bolloxx isn't even a word technically , In british slang 

if something is thebollocks ! it means its the best 

like the saying : that was the dogs bollocks ! 

either way some might find it to be offensive and some may not 

unfortunately this time sony has and that's all that matters in this situation 

what does bother me is that i don't have the option to change my name and keep my trophies 

and also the fact that they're many other usernames that are way more offensive 

also the fact that hackers , cheaters , modders etc never get banned 

it's unfair and unjustified ! 

In the meantime though iv'e decided while i keep trying to get my account back and wait on sony's reply 

i've made a Topic where you guys can vote what my new PSN ID will be as i'm having Trouble choosing 

and just to be clear i will be continuing to use this PsnProfile Account and i'll just link my new Profile 

Enjoy :) !

Edited by TheBolloxx

Just out of interest, why is your account Maltese?

Youre from Bonnie Scotland, and live here don't you?

Please tel me its not for the reason I think it might be.... please tell me its not just to be high up on that country's leaderboard... Say it ain't so....

the fact that they're many other usernames that are way more offensive 

also the fact that hackers , cheaters , modders etc never get banned 

it's unfair and unjustified ! 

Unfair, maybe, unjustified no, so they are still in the right.

You do realise they are still talking about testicules in 'the dogs bollocks' don't you ?

Just because it is alright to you, doesn't mean it is actually right, as has been explained several times already in this thread.

also the whole cheaters/hackers argument is complete balls, as it has nothing to do with what has happened here.

Just out of interest, why is your account Maltese?

Youre from Bonnie Scotland, and live here don't you?

Please tel me its not for the reason I think it might be.... please tell me its not just to be high up on that country's leaderboard... Say it ain't so....

I Lived in Malta for about 3 years i made this account when i was there 

yeah i'm from and live in Scotland 

Lol i'm not that low , they don't even have a Ps store 

which i didn't know at the time 

Unfair, maybe, unjustified no, so they are still in the right.

You do realise they are still talking about testicules in 'the dogs bollocks' don't you ?

Just because it is alright to you, doesn't mean it is actually right, as has been explained several times already in this thread.

also the whole cheaters/hackers argument is complete balls, as it has nothing to do with what has happened here.

Of course i realize that 

and yes of course just because it's right to me doesn't make it right 

I don't agree with you on that though , i find it very unfair that cheaters , hackers etc don't get banned 

but i get permanently banned without warning after 4 years of choosing my name .

Edited by TheBolloxx
  • Like 1

I Lived in Malta for about 3 years i made this account when i was there 

yeah i'm from and live in Scotland 

Lol i'm not that low , they don't even have a Ps store 

which i didn't know at the time .

Fair enough, I had a hard time supporting your cause when I thought that you might have been cheesing the leaderboards.

To be completely honest, I still have a hard time with it - I mean, you didn't choose the name TheBolloxx without thinking that it would offend some prudes did you? Be honest.

I do think its a bit unfair to have so little recourse to retain your trophies etc though, particularly after so long. One would think the ids should be vetted at the time of creation, not retropectivly after 4 years.

I don't agree with you on that though , i find it very unfair that cheaters , hackers etc don't get banned 

but i get permanently banned without warning after 4 years of choosing my name .

Pretty sure I didn't say it was fair or not. I just said it wasn't the issue at hand, which is totally different. unappropriate ID's cannot be compared to cheating or hackiing, so I don't see why it comes up so much in the argumentation...

One would think the ids should be vetted at the time of creation, not retropectivly after 4 years.

Pretty hard to have a fulltime person watching each new ID creation :)

Fair enough, I had a hard time supporting your cause when I thought that you might have been cheesing the leaderboards.

To be completely honest, I still have a hard time with it - I mean, you didn't choose the name TheBolloxx without thinking that it would offend some prudes did you? Be honest.

I do think its a bit unfair to have so little recourse to retain your trophies etc though, particularly after so long. One would think the ids should be vetted at the time of creation, not retropectivly after 4 years.

No i didn't to be completely honest it was the name and still is the name of a punk band i started with my dad and a few friends 

Pretty sure I didn't say it was fair or not. I just said it wasn't the issue at hand, which is totally different. unappropriate ID's cannot be compared to cheating or hackiing, so I don't see why it comes up so much in the argumentation...

Pretty hard to have a fulltime person watching each new ID creation :)

You said it was unfair , know they cannot be compared but it is still unfair to me that they can get away with everything 

while just because i chose a username that i liked 4 years ago i get permanently banned . 

I wouldn't have considered TheBolloxx offensive but I can see why others might do. And that's what matters. So I agree that Sony should step in there.

Absolutely unacceptable though is that they must ban and enforce a new account upon you. A name change should be possible from their backend by all means.

But this isn't the only part where they simply fail to acknowledge valid interests. It still baffles me that their system is incapable to process that people might move from one country to another.

Your current credit card address doesn't match with your old PSN nationality? Awh, terribly sorry!

Globalized world? Eh, not with Sony.

Here Guys i just got this from Sony : 

Hi, 

The customer has been permanently banned from the network for having an online ID which is deemed inappropriate.   

The account will remain banned. 

The complications that arise from changing an ID can create problems with signing in, friends list and playing certain games. 

Please advise the consumer to create a new account which adheres to our Terms of Service. 

Regard 

Consumer Operations

Sony Network Entertainment

http://eu.playstation.com

Man that is bullshit, losing years of gaming and trophy hunting because of one stupid false moralist :angry:

• Like 2