So is it true PS5 has faster download speeds?

Cryogenicide_X

On 11/14/2020 at 7:29 AM, GonzoWARgasm said:

Surely it still works to your local bandwidth though? If you live in the middle of nowhere without decent speeds, a new PS5 won't help, eh?

it will still help if i live in a place with good internet and it helps me it will help someone who lives in  a place with bad internet as well.  Not going to give you 20 minute 80G download speed but it will help a little.  If it takes you 2 days to download a 80G file then maybe now it takes 1 day 20 hrs.  

Also, its about time because sony has been bogging down the download speed for some time now. I have 1gb fiber and it was still taking me 30 minutes for most downloads that given my speed should take 10 minutes or less.  I'd say it's cut my 30 minute downloads almost in half which is a lot closer to where it should be.    

Edited by steel6burgh

For me I would say yes it is quicker but not massively so.

I have got a fibre connection with 132mb download, nothing in my room has moved position or how it was connected to my PS4 Pro.

Could be that because this is UK day release it might be not upto speed that others are seeing, will update if anything changes.

Edited by Japanime_Gamer
more info added

1 hour ago, QQQ_AX said:

For the people saying yes, is your PS5 in any different arrangement than your PS4? Maybe it's faster because your WiFi can get to your PS5 better than your PS4 was. Since it's very popular to put PS5 in vertical and on top of things because of the size.

My PS5 is wired exactly where my PS4 was, I replaced them. It's just faster. I've always had tons of slowness from Sony. Even notice the change in streaming apps, I have yet to encounter noticeable buffering at the start of anything I've watched on Netflix, Tubi and YouTube.

Much faster even without ethernet my PS5 downloads quicker than the ps4 with ethernet. Also loading into online games was waaayyy quicker.  I boosted a game with my ps4 (ethernet) and ps5 (wireless) and my PS5 would get into game and I'd have to wait 20-30 seconds for my ps4 to load in afterwards.

My ps4 was a slim and not a pro.

Edited by iGGTheEnd

I can download up to a gigabyte a minute on my Internet connection on PS4, but it all depends on Sony's servers, and your Internet connection, not the console.

Like if I download a brand new game, it's insanely fast, but then try downloading something old or not popular and it takes a while. Sony will have priority server bandwidths priorities for games and demand.

Then later on I will be on Yahoo Mail and it will take 5-10 seconds just to load a 100k page.

No it Does not download faster for you if you already used a Lan Cable on ps4 

Wifi maybe bc wifi is always slower 

The console cannot downlaod faster than the speed you ISP gives you

On 18.11.2020 at 10:59 PM, GUDGER666 said:

Standard PS4 yes, PS4 Pro no. On my standard PS4 it maxes out at 100mb. My Pro gives me my full 350mb. Sony was throttling here in UK from March until the end of October. 

What is your contractual Speed ?

I guess you'll probably only notice a difference if you have very fast internet with 200 mbit or more i guess. Sony doesn't really throttle very much below that on ps4. I have around 100mbit download and i am downloading with around 14mb/s on both consoles (which equals 98 mbit for those, who don't know that)