So is it true PS5 has faster download speeds?

Cryogenicide_X

13 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

No, the PS4 download speeds are heavily throttled on Sony's end.

Wasn't this a COVID/pandemic lockdown thing? Where they reduced speed for non-essential traffic due to more people working remotely?

I can't say I've really noticed much of an issue on my PS4 in terms of speed - certainly not heavily throttled. That said, we have a very fast connection to begin with so perhaps it depends more on your internet service provider than on Sony.

Regardless, download speed isn't really going to be any different on the PS5 than the PS4, since it doesn't have anything to do with the console itself.

3 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Wasn't this a COVID/pandemic lockdown thing? Where they reduced speed for non-essential traffic due to more people working remotely?

I can't say I've really noticed much of an issue on my PS4 in terms of speed - certainly not heavily throttled. That said, we have a very fast connection to begin with so perhaps it depends more on your internet service provider than on Sony.

Regardless, download speed isn't really going to be any different on the PS5 than the PS4, since it doesn't have anything to do with the console itself.

Doing an internet test on my ps4 is about 10x slower than any other device in my household. DL speeds are similarly slow. This was the case both before and during the pandemic.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Doing an internet test on my ps4 is about 10x slower than any other device in my household. DL speeds are similarly slow. This was the case both before and during the pandemic.

On my end they are and always were stable proportional to the connection I have. For example i went from 20Mbps to Optic internet and my PS4 download became much faster.

Only times I've noticed a slowdown was with sales/new releases of digital games - say a hyped title is coming out (TLOU, CP2077, GOW...) and if you try to download it (not preload which is what I assume they put up to mitigate this) exactly midnight when it becomes available or the day afternoon when most people come back from work - it will be slower or glitchy to the point where it might stop and resume on its own but otherwise it is entirely dependent on the internet option you've got from your ISP and perhaps some external factors such as firewall, NAT type etc.

If I expect something to be faster on PS5 it is the install speed for both games and updates once downloads are finished - for me those occasionally took ages...

On 11/14/2020 at 8:39 AM, OpenScars said:

If you're already on Ethernet cable, the download will make ZERO difference I assume?

It's a very significant increase. The PS4 had a maximum speed based on the hardware. Just like how new phones take advantage of faster speeds due to upgraded wireless chips. 

9 hours ago, Wavergray said:

Yes and no.
One thing I noticed is that the PS5 only downloads 1 thing at a time unlike the ps4. 
However, downloads still get "stuck" and have to be paused and unpaused for it to kick back up to speed.

I've noticed that as well. I figured it was an issue on my end until I did some research and found out that many others shared the same issue.

Yes, lot of people are saying it is much faster than PS4. But make sure it is not in an enclosed space. Someone on ResetEra said that when it was in their cabinet, the speeds were slow. When outside of it, the speeds went up. Because the WiFi needs to communicate with the PS5 to get the highest speed.

The PS5 has Wifi6. Which means it will take full bandwidth of whatever it is able to. Whether that's 10MB/100MB/Gigabit.

Wifi6 has less drop offs than older generation, and is more stable. I've been getting full 350mbs on mine, and have been able to download games at the same speed my PC does on steam. So yeah it does have faster download speeds. A friend said it even doubled his, because his PS4 would always have bad dropoff in connection due to his location.