Downloading your cloud saves on PS5 is a mess..

den-69

On the subject of Cloud saves, I was getting notifications last night every few minutes saying could not upload save to the cloud as it was fulletc etc. As I had my PS4 on as well, I checked the cloud storage and it was at 12% and clearly not full!

Is the cloud capped at a save limit level or memory size??

I’ll have to delete some old shite and turn off auto upload as I think that must still be on?

Also games don't download saves automatically, not sure if it's a bug or just not implemented. For example if I have PS4 save in cloud and install PS4 game on PS5 and launch it, it will launch without save. On Xbox at least it force checks every time if there is a cloud save available.

The cloud save feature is a mess. Not only is it harder to access - unlike PS4 where you could access it to download/upload right from the game launch icon - now you need to go into your storage to access saves. I'm not sure there is any other way. It's another annoyance in the new UI, which still feels like a frustrating downgrade of many features.

As an aside, it seems that manually uploading/downloading a save DISABLES automatic uploads/downloads. I have no idea why they would implement this. I used it on Bugsnax before I went into the point of no return - just in case something glitched. It does warn you that uploading your save will disable the automatic feature. I guess it gives you the option to back up a save and not risk it being overwritten.

But once you do manually transfer a save, there seems to be no way to turn back on the automatic upload later? WTF?

4 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

The cloud save feature is a mess. Not only is it harder to access - unlike PS4 where you could access it to download/upload right from the game launch icon - now you need to go into your storage to access saves. I'm not sure there is any other way. It's another annoyance in the new UI, which still feels like a frustrating downgrade of many features.

As an aside, it seems that manually uploading/downloading a save DISABLES automatic uploads/downloads. I have no idea why they would implement this. I used it on Bugsnax before I went into the point of no return - just in case something glitched. It does warn you that uploading your save will disable the automatic feature. I guess it gives you the option to back up a save and not risk it being overwritten.

But once you do manually transfer a save, there seems to be no way to turn back on the automatic upload later? WTF?

I used it for Demon's Souls and you can easily enable the auto uploads again or turn them off for a game by using the toggle switch. It's located in the saves menu where you upload saves to the cloud.

And as you said, the point of disabling the auto-uploads is to ensure you don't overwrite the save you just made.. It's completely necessary, otherwise making a manual backup would be pointless.

1 minute ago, diskdocx said:

Seriously? Why even? This wasn't an issue for the PS3/4 or Vita. Not looking forward to having to remember to manually upload saves after every session if I ever feel the need to manually back up a save for any particular game. It doesn't help that you can't back up saves to a USB stick either. God, I really hope there isn't also a 1,000 file limit to the PS5's cloud storage as well otherwise I'm gonna be forced to basically sacrifice some saves later on in the generation.

I want to hope they maybe "fix" this later, but I won't get my hopes up. This is really disappointing info.

I'm honestly considering making the Xbox Series X my main console this gen, even though I know it won't have a lot of exclusives that interest me and I'm not a fan of the controller. I'm just really burned out on Sony lately.

4 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

I can guarantee I will never hit either limit. A thousand save files? Come on now, that's plenty. 

It would be a reasonable limit if Sony put some developer standards that limit no more than say three files per save slot per game. Some games spray dozens of files per save point and cause a real problem with the 1,000 file limit. It's not as if each game only takes up one file and you'd need over 1,000 games to break that limitation.

4 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

I can guarantee I will never hit either limit. A thousand save files? Come on now, that's plenty. 

My 1427 games played says it is not.

I realize I can delete saves. Many of these games don't need archiving. Not the point. I am at just over 10 gigs of data used. This is Sony BS. Number of saves costs them nothing, it is data used that is the issue. No server has a limit to the number of files saved.

It's even more annoying because no one would ever be able to hit the 100 gig cap. Each and every save file would need to be 100mb in size to reach 100gigs. Most are 10mb.

So really this is false advertising.

8 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

It's not as crazy to hit it as it seems.  For instance, without me doing anything to trim down, my Spider-Man (PS4) save is 59 Files.  That's from a full 100% clear of the base game, DLC, and then a second run of NG+.  I'm in the middle of NG+ on Horizon: Zero Dawn, and my autosaved files already number 22.  If I was just blindly using the system and letting it automatically back up my saves, I'd probably hit the limit at some point and wonder why I can't back up saves while only at 14% usage.

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I have to ask, how much are you downloading? It only took me a few minutes to download the ones I actually need.

It was like 6gb or something lol.. 600-700 files maybe will have to recheck later. Took 40 minutes.

4 hours ago, den-69 said:

I have an ethernet cable in, giving me speeds of about 60mbs download and I've been sat here for about 30 minutes downloading my cloud saves to my PS5...

It estimates it will take 99+ hours every now and then lol..

1 hour ago, den-69 said:

It was like 6gb or something lol.. 600-700 files maybe will have to recheck later. Took 40 minutes.

What's your internet speed? Ethernet cable doesn't mean much if we don't know your internet speed. You can have 10Gbps home LAN, but sit on a shitty 10Mbps internet over copper. It took me less than 1 minute to download 1100Mb of save files, so would be less than 6 minutes for 6Gb.

It only took me like 5-10 minutes on Ethernet to download 4 save files from Gow, KH3, GoT, and FF15.

One a side note, I ran into a not so great thing with cloud saves when I first got my system and installed some PS4 titles to test out.

For example, I installed God of War (2018). After I installed the game, I went to the settings to download my cloud save.

For whatever reason I can't even fathom, it erased the game save, loaded the game without the save and got overwritten in the cloud. The core save thankfully is still intact on my PS4 locally, but now I'm afraid of turning it on because it might sync with what my PS5 did to my saves.

The only thing I can think of doing is just taking down my network, turn on my PS4 and somehow figure out how to load the save onto a USB drive.

20 hours ago, Shizo said:

What's your internet speed? Ethernet cable doesn't mean much if we don't know your internet speed. You can have 10Gbps home LAN, but sit on a shitty 10Mbps internet over copper. It took me less than 1 minute to download 1100Mb of save files, so would be less than 6 minutes for 6Gb.

I said my speed in the first post. My speed on my internet settings test on my ps5 was 60mbps download.

You guys who responded to me are nuts. You don't need to upload every single save file. You don't need to hang on to all 1427 games. You aren't playing them all. You can delete old saves.

I play games all the time and constantly get new ones. I've never had an issue with cloud save space OR HDD space because I don't feel the need to hang on to every game I've ever played. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yowzagabowza said:

You guys who responded to me are nuts. You don't need to upload every single save file. You don't need to hang on to all 1427 games. You aren't playing them all. You can delete old saves.

I play games all the time and constantly get new ones. I've never had an issue with cloud save space OR HDD space because I don't feel the need to hang on to every game I've ever played. 

Mine auto-uploads lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

It’s a stupid limitation on a feature we have to pay monthly for... heaven forbid people criticize a service they paid for. Please think of the billion dollar corporation’s feelings and work within their incompetence rather than demand a better service for your money. A service that should be free anyway.

19 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

It’s a stupid limitation on a feature we have to pay monthly for... heaven forbid people criticize a service they paid for. Please think of the billion dollar corporation’s feelings and work within their incompetence rather than demand a better service for your money. A service that should be free anyway.

Whatever. I hate on Plus as much as anybody, but 1,000 saves is fuckin plenty. You're doing it all wrong if it's not.

20 hours ago, den-69 said:

Mine auto-uploads lol

Turn that off

2 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

Whatever. I hate on Plus as much as anybody, but 1,000 saves is fuckin plenty. You're doing it all wrong if it's not.

Whatever. But paying money to have arbitrary limitations placed on a feature that should be free is wrong, and if you defend it you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

Turn that off

It's actually really useful if you game on multiple consoles in different rooms... You don't have to worry about putting saves on a usb or something. They are all on the cloud and easily downloadable.

3 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Whatever. But paying money to have arbitrary limitations placed on a feature that should be free is wrong, and if you defend it you're doing it wrong.

Right, we should all be able to just do whatever, whenever. Just let us all upload 40,000 saves. Or would that somehow still not be enough for you and all the incredibly important game saves you have from six year old games? 

You pay for exactly what you get.