ExistentialSolid's "Please Destroy Me" Detour

ExistentialSolid

New Nomination List ~ Poll #1  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games would you like to see next?

• Moon Hunters
    • Attacking Zegeta 2
    • GoNNer 2
    • XPosed Reloaded
    • Mr. Driller: DrillLand

I kinda hope The End is Nigh doesn't win. It does look like an interesting game. But you've like, already completed about 5 difficult platform games like Super Meat Boy already, so I feel like you're gonna be able to do that one, since of course you've already proved you are good at these type of platform games.

I'm just biased of course, since Catherine is a really original story, and the 3D state shift mechanics of the Cube in that game, are very interesting and unlike any other game. Plus the game is stupidly hard. lol

I don't think you've played a game like Catherine before. One of the most unique puzzle games I have ever played.

• Like 2

Most people already know what The End is Nigh is about. Nuclear Throne is usually popular with the hardcore gaming audience. So I picked Catherine. I don't know the difference between the PS3 original and this. However I'm generally bad at puzzle games.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

If Catherine isn't your cup of tea, I've actually been planning a second experimental project that you may want to consider. I was thinking about hosting a private Discord server for informal updates on a game I've been enjoying on the side (and that some of you voiced an interest in): Dirt Rally 2.0. The purpose of this server is the very same as the hypothetical event. We select a game to play as a group and update the group on our own progress until the game is completed. Except, unlike an event on PSNP, each game would be given a dedicated channel for updates/community support and would not necessarily be limited by an "end date" as new games are introduced in separate channels that players can visit (or return to) provided they have an interest in the relevant game.

Right now, this server does not exist. However, I plan to present my idea for the server sometime in February (provided my motivation lasts that long 1f602.png) with Dirt Rally 2.0 headlining as the server's first project. If you are not really interested in Catherine, but would like to earn the "Flatout" DLC trophy in Dirt Rally 2.0, consider starting the game ASAP and earning the game's other trophies in the meantime (the game is a little grindy, so you'll want to get the fluff out of the way early so that you can focus on the main event: the "Flatout" trophy).

I think what you are doing is great & though I don't have many of these games that are listed, I will still be following along with this whole thing. This could do really well & I'm sure more people will eventually find out about this over time to get in on it. I'm definitely interested in this part though as I'll be going back to this game & will be doing many updates in my thread for it. I can do some updates here as well as my thread though but will also be following a long anyone else who is doing it. I know you will enjoy it a lot.

• Like 1

I really love your approach with this Ex! You really kept things encouraging and it sounds like this could be alotta fun ?

Unfortunately enough tho, I don't think Catherine is for me... Gonna sit this round out but I'll still be following along, and please believe I will be joining in on the next round! 

• Like 3

@ExistentialSolid good luck with this game :) I might join the server for Flatout depending on my progress by the time you host it, but I have to pass on Catherine. It just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I'm not at all into any of the gameplay and narrative elements it combines, and I have read enough of @Copanele's hatred for this game that I'm sure I would feel exactly like he does ?

Still, looking forward to your next update! 

• Like 3

I have played the PS3 version of Catherine last year, and while I really enjoyed, I don't feel like buying Full Body yet, so will skip out on playing along with you guys, though I'll try and keep with everyone's progress of course.

One tip I can give though is that going for gold prizes in hard is good preparation for Babel, so I definitely don't recommend using video guides for that. Everyone will agree with me though that Rapunzel is just really boring and also not worth it to try and do legit, as the puzzles there are quite different from the story/Babel, so you'll definitely not shoot yourself in the foot by not doing these properly lol. 

Good luck to everyone playing this and I hope you'll all enjoy it as much as I did :)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 0:53 AM, enaysoft said:

I kinda hope The End is Nigh doesn't win. It does look like an interesting game. But you've like, already completed about 5 difficult platform games like Super Meat Boy already, so I feel like you're gonna be able to do that one, since of course you've already proved you are good at these type of platform games.

I'm just biased of course, since Catherine is a really original story, and the 3D state shift mechanics of the Cube in that game, are very interesting and unlike any other game. Plus the game is stupidly hard. lol

I don't think you've played a game like Catherine before. One of the most unique puzzle games I have ever played.

That's the same line of reasoning I followed in thinking Catherine would be the best of the bunch. ? As far as platformer difficulty goes, I've done so much already that there's really nowhere to go but down. Even though The End is Nigh seems to be a local favorite, I don't really see how the game would bring anything new to the table. Maybe I'll have my eyes opened when I play it in the future, but keeping platformers to a minimum in the meantime seems like the only sensible option since I've extensively covered the genre already. I don't want to sink headfirst into a specific niche and just be "that one guy that's good at platformers." 

You're right that I've never played a game like Catherine before, but I have actually played Catherine quite a bit. ? My first exposure to the game was the PS3 original when I was in college (2016). I was just playing casually, thought the game was too hard, got stuck on my first playthrough on Normal difficulty (I wanna say either stage 6 or 7?), and set it aside. Fast forward to 2019 when Full Body comes out and I was determined to give it another shot. Afraid of getting stuck, I started on Easy and worked my way up. Before I knew it, I had seen all the endings and managed to earn all the gold prizes on Easy Classic/Easy Remix and Normal Classic/Normal Remix.

Hard mode terrified me though, so I thought, "Eh... I'll do it another day," but I never went back. It's going to be nice to finally see this game through to the end.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:41 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Most people already know what The End is Nigh is about. Nuclear Throne is usually popular with the hardcore gaming audience. So I picked Catherine. I don't know the difference between the PS3 original and this. However I'm generally bad at puzzle games.

The biggest differences between the PS3 original and Full Body are: the expanded story, a new remixed puzzle mode (with it's own set of 3 difficulties), and the "Safety" difficulty option. There are a few subtler differences that affect difficulty like the PS4 version getting 1 "Undo" in Hard Mode, powerups in Babel, and the hint mode in the Rapunzel arcade, but these don't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm terrible at puzzle games too, but that's exactly why Catherine would be a great pick for this thread. :D

On 1/5/2022 at 11:35 PM, Destructor-8 said:

I think what you are doing is great & though I don't have many of these games that are listed, I will still be following along with this whole thing. This could do really well & I'm sure more people will eventually find out about this over time to get in on it. I'm definitely interested in this part though as I'll be going back to this game & will be doing many updates in my thread for it. I can do some updates here as well as my thread though but will also be following a long anyone else who is doing it. I know you will enjoy it a lot.

I may have to reconsider the Discord server idea considering how Catherine has gone so far, but we'll see. ? There seems to be a disconnect between voter preference and voter engagement. :P I'm glad to hear you have an interest in my ideas nonetheless and would be glad to see you join if it becomes a reality!

On 1/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, grayhammmer said:

I was honestly hoping for The End Is Nigh to win because it is a great game and it has so few owners on Playstation,, especially when compared to Catherine.

I don't have any doubts that The End is Nigh is a great game based on how much love people have shown for it in this thread, but I've highlighted so many platformers already that I'm totally sick of the genre. Branching out would be good for variety's sake anyway; I don't want to specialize and just play one genre to death. ?

On 1/9/2022 at 11:32 AM, Joe Dubz said:

I really love your approach with this Ex! You really kept things encouraging and it sounds like this could be alotta fun 1f603.png

Unfortunately enough tho, I don't think Catherine is for me... Gonna sit this round out but I'll still be following along, and please believe I will be joining in on the next round! 

I'm glad you think so! ? Don't worry about sitting this round out. The last thing I want is for people to join just to humor me; if they don't have any interest in the game, it will show in their updates and in their motivation to continue. I'll look forward to seeing you next round! :D

On 1/11/2022 at 5:41 AM, Arcesius said:

@ExistentialSolid good luck with this game :) I might join the server for Flatout depending on my progress by the time you host it, but I have to pass on Catherine. It just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I'm not at all into any of the gameplay and narrative elements it combines, and I have read enough of @Copanele's hatred for this game that I'm sure I would feel exactly like he does 1f602.png

Still, looking forward to your next update! 

Thanks and I totally understand! Catherine isn't going to appeal to everyone and I'm not looking for people to join in if the experience would make them miserable. I see Catherine as an opportunity to wrap up some unfinished business and stretch whatever gray matter is left tumbling in my skull, but I can empathize with Copanele because I hated the game at first too. ? It may be an acquired taste. 

On 1/11/2022 at 7:03 AM, Dzware said:

I have played the PS3 version of Catherine last year, and while I really enjoyed, I don't feel like buying Full Body yet, so will skip out on playing along with you guys, though I'll try and keep with everyone's progress of course.

One tip I can give though is that going for gold prizes in hard is good preparation for Babel, so I definitely don't recommend using video guides for that. Everyone will agree with me though that Rapunzel is just really boring and also not worth it to try and do legit, as the puzzles there are quite different from the story/Babel, so you'll definitely not shoot yourself in the foot by not doing these properly lol. 

Good luck to everyone playing this and I hope you'll all enjoy it as much as I did :)

Don't worry about skipping out, I appreciate the support! ? 

I'm hoping to get through the game exactly as you've described. When I played through Easy/Normal back in 2019, I was stubborn about refusing to look at any reference material and I'd like to retain that obstinance all the way to the finish line. Rapunzel, however, can be a total nightmare if you try to do it all legit. I remember spending over 40 minutes on one level because I could not understand the solution for the life of me. ? I'd be here all year if I had to solve them all on my own terms. ? In Babel and the story mode, there are often many solutions to any given puzzle so experimentation and trial-and-error doesn't usually drag down the experience. In Rapunzel, as you know, there may only be one strictly defined route to the finish line that would require absurd amounts of time to parse out, so I'm not going to feel much guilt watching references to get those done.

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 4

Happy to see Catherine win the poll. Can’t join also because I already completed it years ago and I don’t stack games. I think Catherine is an amazing game so good luck and enjoy!

And just like Arcesius I might join in for Dirt Rally 2.0. Seems like fun.

And @Copanele if you’re struggling with Rapunzel that much why don’t you just follow a guide and get it over with? You know the solutions are set right? ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I know the solutions are set, you think I'd even bother use my brain for this game? Heavens no! it's just that I can't stand this game and every block pushed and pulled degrades my sanity little by little xD 

O wow. Then you hate this game even more than I expected. ?

But I understand it. I have the same with DMC 5. ?

Edited by Baker
  • Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 2:14 AM, Copanele said:

Heh seems I have missed a bit of this. Glad that Catherine was chosen xD 

I will use this occasion to tell me my current "progress update" that happened some days ago. Started Catherine PS3, finished one Rapunzel level (38 I think), wanted to shoot myself.

Struggled and completed 2 more, had the feelings of this gif:

question-mario.gif

What @Arcesius said was an understatement but I still wish to finish this game....in 2030 or something xD 

Best of luck with your journey! From my side, IF I manage to complete Rapunzel until 6th of March, I will consider it a COMPLETE victory.

I guess we all have games that drag our sanity through the mud. For me, I've had the same existential dread trying to push my way through the trials in any fighting game. ? I dunno what it is, but every time I see a screen that looks like this...

Part of me dies and I want to break down and cry. Every fighting game seems to invent it's own sub-language that you need to learn and interpret before you ever start approaching mastery and I hate it. It's like I'm back in school staring wide-eyed at a chalkboard covered in hieroglyphics. ?

The wounds from when I forced myself to platinum Skullgirls 2nd Encore in 2020 (with actual tears towards the end) were so fresh that, when I attempted my next serious fighting game last year, SSFIV, and saw Ryu's trials, I completely crumbled. I couldn't even finish a single character up before I wanted to send my TV sailing through the window. ? Maybe when you finish Catherine in 2030, I'll give SSFIV another chance. 

Either way, I'm glad to have you along for the ride. Good luck on getting through Rapunzel! :D

On 1/14/2022 at 2:28 AM, Baker said:

Happy to see Catherine win the poll. Can’t join also because I already completed it years ago and I don’t stack games. I think Catherine is an amazing game so good luck and enjoy!

And just like Arcesius I might join in for Dirt Rally 2.0. Seems like fun.

Thanks! ? Returning to Catherine has been a joy so far and I'm looking forward to finding out whether I'll lose my mind by the time it's all over.

If everything goes well, I'm planning to start up the server for Dirt Rally 2.0 in the first week of February. Once it's up, I'll drop an invite link here in this thread. Having more players to compare times/setups with will make the road to Flatout much more enjoyable, so I hope to see you there! ?

On 1/19/2022 at 10:34 AM, da-Noob123 said:

Looks like Catherine is on sale in the Under $20 sale going on. Might get it so I can maybe join in on this event/ challenge in February if I finish Yakuza Like a Dragon in a timely manner.

Nice catch, I didn't even notice Catherine was on sale. Pretty soon I'm going to have to start flailing around a sign that says, "? Catherine: Full Body only $12.49! Buy now! ?" if I'm ever going to get people participating in this thread. ? (actually... that might give people the wrong idea)

Good luck on Yakuza Like a Dragon and I'll hope to see you in February! ?

• Like 4

Brilliantly executed my dude!! Phew, that Tower just looks rough... I've never done well when it comes to doing 2 controllers at once ? Bravo to you for that! I feel like it would just make my head spin giving that an attempt myself ?

Good luck with the rest of the journey there, looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

• Like 1

Loved the 4d chess comment, that was great. 

Good pointer on the rapunzel levels to just follow a guide and internalize the strategies. I'll probably go that route myself before tackling babel.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to join in the event. I was admitted to the hospital Monday and was discharged today so nothing truly major but definitely a large unexpected expense coming in the mail... o_O Buying another game may not be wisest decision right now but I never claimed to be so we'll see how things go.

Nice job topping stage 2, I'm guessing you might go over the cliff and just finish babel off before finishing hard mode. That leash can be a witch with a capital B. But hey, if it makes you happy, go with it, your posts where you follow your desire outshine the ones where you force yourself to do something your not into at moment. 

Edited by da-Noob123
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 4:17 PM, Joe Dubz said:

Brilliantly executed my dude!! Phew, that Tower just looks rough... I've never done well when it comes to doing 2 controllers at once ? Bravo to you for that! I feel like it would just make my head spin giving that an attempt myself ?

Good luck with the rest of the journey there, looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

Thanks, I'll give it my best. ?

Eerily enough, it almost feels as though the Babel levels were balanced to account for people using 2 controllers. There's often more than enough time to switch your hands from one controller to the other to navigate the tower, so you never have to simultaneously maneuver two characters like a lunatic if you don't want to. Figuring out a clean route up the tower without stranding either player is your biggest challenge. 

I can't imagine the level of synergy required for two actual people to climb Babel together though. ? I feel like most cases of "cooperation" would be the more experienced player barking orders at the less experienced player. There's not always enough room for both players to climb independently of the other, so your communication skills would need to be on point to make sure you both see the finish line. 

On 1/25/2022 at 9:57 PM, da-Noob123 said:

Loved the 4d chess comment, that was great. 

Good pointer on the rapunzel levels to just follow a guide and internalize the strategies. I'll probably go that route myself before tackling babel.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to join in the event. I was admitted to the hospital Monday and was discharged today so nothing truly major but definitely a large unexpected expense coming in the mail... o_O Buying another game may not be wisest decision right now but I never claimed to be so we'll see how things go.

Nice job topping stage 2, I'm guessing you might go over the cliff and just finish babel off before finishing hard mode. That leash can be a witch with a capital B. But hey, if it makes you happy, go with it, your posts where you follow your desire outshine the ones where you force yourself to do something your not into at moment. 

Please don't worry about the event. You stopping by (on the day of your discharge no less) is more than enough. I know you mentioned it was nothing major, but I hope everything's okay. ☹️ 

The only problem with letting my whims take the reigns is that my journey through Catherine is going to be more confusing to follow along with. There are a lot of little things I learned back in 2019 I either haven't explained or have barely touched on like the rules of edges, block type, the energy drink that lets you go up two steps in a pinch, etc. Not understanding these little things can gradually drive a wedge between the audience and myself until I stop being comprehensible. Before I know it, I could be off in my own little world like a 6-year old excitedly explaining the minutiae of their favorite toy. ? Then again... I'm having fun and maybe that's all the audience wants to see at the end of the day. 

• Like 3