TLOU II is officially the most awarded game of all time (260+ awards)

Lordidude

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Oh please. If more people opened their eyes there are many games out there worthwhile and worth the money. The Last of Us Part II doesn't deserve that many awards. Most of those awards were just handed out for the hell of it.

Many of those games were recognized and won awards alongside the last of us 2, they just didn't win as much. Love or hate it I don't think anyone can deny how impressive the game is on a technical level. The only other games that can compete are red dead redemption 2 and God of War so I'd say a good amount of those awards are well deserved. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Oh please. If more people opened their eyes there are many games out there worthwhile and worth the money. The Last of Us Part II doesn't deserve that many awards. Most of those awards were just handed out for the hell of it.

this part is actually true one award i didnt think they deserve was the best direction award that's why the game got leaked in the first place

6 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

It's won more players choice awards than any other game.

as of 2020 ghost of tsushima won the players choice award and as i said the rest of the awards are just ways to push sales 

Edited by maurjen
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, maurjen said:

as of 2020 ghost of tsushima won the players choice award and as i said the rest of the awards are just ways to push sales 

GOT won eleven players choice awards. There's more than a hundred other players choice award, and TLOU2 won most of them.

Unless you're talking about just The Game Award's players choice award, but why limit it to just that award when there are others that follow the same principle?

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs

3 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

An utter fucking joke, as if we needed any more proof that games journalists are out of touch with reality. 

It won more Players' Choice Awards than any other game in history though.

_____

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I think anyone still following these awards needs to get a reality check.

Best Score, Best Direction, only awards that really matter at this point. The system is stupid.

Stop the gatekeeping.

Either all awards are okay or none of them are okay.

Don't just cherrypick those who fit your opinion.

Edited by Lordidude
  • Like 4

These threads are always so interesting to read. It is so much fun seeing people attack and defend what they love and hate so viciously. 

It is definitely an accomplishment, no matter what you think about the game overall. 

While I have my personal problems with it, I gotta hand it to them. Clearly they did something right if so many people who played the game really enjoyed it. 

Also, if awards do not mean anything, then people shouldn't be mad over TLOU2 beating GoT at TGA. It is very counter-intuitive to contradict yourself when trying to argue. I also believe games receiving awards should not influence you into buying the game. Buy games you want because they interest you! Personally, if FF7R would have won, it wouldn't have stopped me from wanting to play it myself in the future because I love Final Fantasy. Likewise, if GoT would have won, I still wouldn't have cared to buy it myself and will definitely be borrowing my dad's copy. At the end of the day, TLOU2 was named GOTY, and it still hasn't changed my criticisms about the game, nor has it changed my opinion about Naughty Dog's storytelling being average since the Uncharted series first started (excluding Uncharted 2, its great and the best IMO).

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Spaz said:

So an all or nothing approach is good? I am inclined to think many people would disagree with that.

Well that's what people are saying in this thread. Read carefully.

Awards don't matter and the reason they don't matter is because their favorite game didn't win them.

So they matter and are useless at the same time?

Schrödinger's Video Game Awards.

18 hours ago, Lovenewton said:

No that's not how (primary school) math works...

10/39 is basically a 4th. After 2010 you have on average 400-500 awards a year so a game like Part II that wins 261 is twice as impressive as that hypothetical game from 2010. 

Well, that's because I wasn't using primary school math. There are levels higher than primary school.

Just massively increasing the amount of something, does not make it more valuable, it makes it decrease in value. Think of money and inflation. Just printing loads of money, will not make everyone rich.

With this in mind, you can say that, yes, they may have had 1/2 of the awards, but they're worth far less individually, since everyone and their grandma give them out at this point. So, (I'll add it this time, I forgot it last time) in my opinion, the one that had 1/4 of 39 awards, is infinitely more impressive than the one that got 1/2 of 500.

Edited by Ric
Typo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DivineAlice said:

If it won most player choice awards over a lot of other games that were a million times better in 2020 I fear what the future of gaming holds. 

Good!

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

Just massively increasing the amount of something, does not make it more valuable, it makes it decrease in value. Think of money and inflation. Just printing loads of money, will not make everyone rich.

Sure. Let's say that, since we're going by inflation, each one of those 500 trophies is worth a bit under .1 of a 39 trophy (.078, to be exact). 268 x .078 is 20.358, which is higher than 10. You understand proportions and ratios, yes?

Of course, I'm sure this boils down to your very subjective nostalgia - in which case it'd be helpful to simply admit that, rather than try and make half-assed arguments to justify your beliefs.

Just now, Darling Baphomet said:

Sure. Let's say that, since we're going by inflation, each one of those 500 trophies is worth a bit under .1 of a 39 trophy (.078, to be exact). 268 x .078 is 20.358, which is higher than 10. You understand proportions and ratios, yes?

Holy crap, I cant believe I'm in a math discussion on a gaming forum :P.

Let me just clarify what I was saying. I wasn't actually calculating anything. I just think someone who has 1/4 of 40 awards, is more impressive than someone who has 1/2 the awards out of 500. If you want to go by the numbers, you're right, the ratios you calculated are true. But in todays world, where more and more awards from various sources just muddy the waters, I don't think just calculating the ratio is very representative.

Just now, Darling Baphomet said:

Of course, I'm sure this boils down to your very subjective nostalgia - in which case it'd be helpful to simply admit that, rather than try and make half-assed arguments to justify your beliefs.

Didn't I admit that by saying it was my opinion though? I specifically added it that time.

• Like 2

Ah, well good for them. No point joining the ongoing "discussion" on whether the game deserved this or not. (most people have already figured out where they stand concerning the games quality and are not gonna be swayed one way or another) Besides as the old saying goes: "One man's treasure is another man's trash" 

What I will say though is this ... can the game industry please stop inflating the yearly amount of game awards at this point? I'm no expert by all means and perhaps 400+ tiny awards in total really is the best way to go about things but come on man would it really be so hard to cut down on some of these duplicate awards (Wouldn't be surprised if you could find something like "Astroglide's GOTY" somewhere in that pile ...)  to actually give the award's a bit of meaning again?. (Be honest how many of these awards can anyone really name off the top of their heads?)

• Like 2

Most awards are pointless. Cyberpunk got tons of them before it came out and we all know about the controversies surrounding that title. All that matters is how the player base recieved certain games. Personally I really enjoyed TLOUII but it's definetely not the game of a generation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm officially going to bow out of this topic and discussion. Based on the general behavior here I reckon this thread is going to get locked in due time, because it's another flame war thread that doesn't accomplish anything.

Fully agree with you. The anti-TLOU flamers are too much to handle.

On 1/26/2021 at 0:03 PM, Lordidude said:

This record might not get broken for a few years.

Unless there is a big influx of awards in the upcoming years:

Total Awards per Year:

• 2019 - 398
  • 2018 - 423
  • 2017 - 384
  • 2016 - 431
  • 2015 - 447
  • 2014 - 414
  • 2013 - 528
  • 2012 - 384
  • 2011 - 405
  • 2010 - 293
  • 2009 - 214
  • 2008 - 205
  • 2007 - 158
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 -   61
  • 2004 -   55
  • 2003 -   39

So goty obsession started around 2006th?. Back in the days there was no such a thing (90's). ? Which makes this rather redundant? You see early 2000's there were less than 100 awards, even though some of these years had as great games (if not better).

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the numbers.

TLOU II gained 20 more GOTY awards since this post was created.

Oddly enough 10 more awards were given as well to Witcher 3 in the same timespan (5 years retroactively).

TLOU still has most critic's choice awards of all time.

TLOU II still has most reader's choice awards of all time.

Edited by Lordidude
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lordidude said:

I updated the numbers.

TLOU II gained 20 more GOTY awards since this post was created.

Oddly enough 10 more awards were given as well to Witcher 3 in the same timespan (5 years retroactively).

TLOU still has most critic's choice awards of all time.

TLOU II still has most reader's choice awards of all time.

TLOU2 deserves them all. Going to be quite awhile before anything comes close to winning this many awards again I think. Also Witcher 3 got more because when new awards are found for any current game they go back to make sure that award wasn't skipped in previous years. Games like God of War, Breath of the Wild, and others have all seen their count rise.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:52 AM, Gommes_ said:

Most awards are pointless. Cyberpunk got tons of them before it came out and we all know about the controversies surrounding that title. All that matters is how the player base recieved certain games. Personally I really enjoyed TLOUII but it's definetely not the game of a generation.

Those aren't the same at all. Cyberpunk won Best of E3 awards and things like that. Those are always meaningless because they are just given based on what small part of a game was the most impressive at a show. GOTY awards are actually given based on the entire finished game. Player's choice GOTY awards are important too as it shows what the actual players felt like was the best game that year and TLOU 2 was hands down that pick for 2020 having won more  of those than any game ever has.