TonyThyGreat11

How to play online 2021

43 posts in this topic

wow pretty awesome, might have to get the Mp trophies done

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anymore information on this? Like what server this is connecting too or who is behind it? I only ask because while it's cool definitely wouldn't feel safe connecting to someone's random server especially with how vulnerable the PS3 security is.

 

Edit: Also to be used for online trophy hunting it needs to be confirmed there is no hacks or mods on the server that rewards the trophies outside normal gameplay.

 

I also seen it mentions accessing paid dlc, how does it access this and does it bypass Sony's PS3 Store? Alot of legality around that if so.

Edited by Lord_Bane999
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think without it being open-source, there's no way to knowing if any modifications are made to this server to make trophies unlock easier, or even instantly, in contrast to the real servers environment. I think the difference between this and GoneSpy is that GoneSpy's source code is on github, and relies on the developers' SDK. Though I'm interested in what a staff has to say about this? @Beyondthegrave07 @BlindMango

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Yeah, I think without it being open-source, there's no way to knowing if any modifications are made to this server to make trophies unlock easier, or even instantly, in contrast to the real servers environment. I think the difference between this and GoneSpy is that GoneSpy's source code is on github, and relies on the developers' SDK. Though I'm interested in what a staff has to say about this? @Beyondthegrave07 @BlindMango

According to the CRT, it's not acceptable the way the rule currently stands, so expect to be flagged if you use this. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just like to point out that this reddit post appears to have a bunch of fanmade servers in a spreadsheet.

One of these is Modnation Racers, with a github page and everything.

 

I can't confirm the legitimacy or stability of any of these, however.

All I did was see this thread and promptly search "open source custom server ps3 games" in Google out of pure interest on the matter.

 

Hope that something does come of this, though. Seems like a game I'd like to get into.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Yeah, I think without it being open-source, there's no way to knowing if any modifications are made to this server to make trophies unlock easier, or even instantly, in contrast to the real servers environment. I think the difference between this and GoneSpy is that GoneSpy's source code is on github, and relies on the developers' SDK. Though I'm interested in what a staff has to say about this? @Beyondthegrave07 @BlindMango

 

41 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

According to the CRT, it's not acceptable the way the rule currently stands, so expect to be flagged if you use this. 

 

It appears like it might be open source: https://github.com/derole1/ModNationServer

 

I haven't looked into everything yet, but I don't see any closed source blobs on there at first glance. It's worth a review from the Cheater Removers.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

 

 

It appears like it might be open source: https://github.com/derole1/ModNationServer

 

I haven't looked into everything yet, but I don't see any closed source blobs on there at first glance. It's worth a review from the Cheater Removers.

It may be okay then. Too early to tell until someone can confirm.

 

I'll let the CRT figure it out. 😅

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cheater Removal Team will review it.  It appears some of the criteria has been met on some of these (being open source.)

 

Edited by B1rvine
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see that it got allowed here, for now I've seen that online races don't work on this server so unfortunately the platinum is still unobtainable, but I believe they're working on it.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it's good to me.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RedHotChiliFan1 it looks like just the PS3 version for now.

Edited by grimydawg___
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sergen said:

Nice to see that it got allowed here, for now I've seen that online races don't work on this server so unfortunately the platinum is still unobtainable, but I believe they're working on it.

Yeah, the description of the video mentioned something about a Discord server that they'd be using for further updates to the server. I'm glad people will get to make progress with this game, though my secret hope is that someone will make a custom server for Portal 2 one day. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is still kinda weird to me, though. Sure it's open source, but this person is promoting his own hosting of the server.

 

If people aren't going to host their own copy of the server, then doesn't this go against the second point on the thread that MMDE posted here?

I mean, sure you still could host one yourself, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes at this "main" server?

 

Edit: Or am I reading into things a bit much here?

Edited by SH06UN5126
Second guessing myself on my argument
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SH06UN5126 said:

This is still kinda weird to me, though. Sure it's open source, but this person is promoting his own hosting of the server.

 

If people aren't going to host their own copy of the server, then doesn't this go against the second point on the thread that MMDE posted here?

I mean, sure you still could host one yourself, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes at this "main" server?

 

Edit: Or am I reading into things a bit much here?

 

No matter who is running the instance, the source code shows there isn't anything that just triggers trophies to pop. This server facilitates what the defunct servers did, which was to connect people to play. We know what's going on behind the scenes because we know what the code is doing by reading it.

 

For playing a multiplayer game someone has to run the server for everyone to connect to. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

 

No matter who is running the instance, the source code shows there isn't anything that just triggers trophies to pop. This server facilitates what the defunct servers did, which was to connect people to play. We know what's going on behind the scenes because we know what the code is doing by reading it.

 

For playing a multiplayer game someone has to run the server for everyone to connect to. 

Just because it's on github doesn't mean that's the code that's being run. This is the honour system. You're trusting that they're running the same code that you're reading.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SH06UN5126 said:

Just because it's on github doesn't mean that's the code that's being run. This is the honour system. You're trusting that they're running the same code that you're reading.

 

Yes, you are correct. Everything on this site is done on the honor/honour system. We only know that it is possible to run an open source ModNation Racers server. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

 

Yes, you are correct. Everything on this site is done on the honor/honour system. We only know that it is possible to run an open source ModNation Racers server. 

Right. So if that's how it's deemed to be okay, then I am reading into things a bit much. lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone clearly tells me if I can use this method this evening without bad feelings? Which link is now the open source one which I can trust?

 

And I read correctly, online works with that, but not online races against each other?

 

I just started this ps3 game one week ago!! No joke, so I am happy for ANY online trophy I can get (the legit way!!)

Edited by Detox2033
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally still wouldn't use this even if open source.

 

There's still a big question about the server when they talk about purchasing/accessing dlc content. The dlc was removed form the NA version of the game. Even if it exists on Sony's servers there's no legitimate way to connect to "purchase" this dlc using this server I find. Unless it can be shown how it does its basically pirating the DLC for users.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

I personally still wouldn't use this even if open source.

 

There's still a big question about the server when they talk about purchasing/accessing dlc content. The dlc was removed form the NA version of the game. Even if it exists on Sony's servers there's no legitimate way to connect to "purchase" this dlc using this server I find. Unless it can be shown how it does its basically pirating the DLC for users.

Is there just the option to BUY the DLCs from these servers or do you have them already integrated when you load up the game?

 

I have so many questions about that! First I would just need the typical online stuff (not even races), for example to share a creation, to watch the video tutorial of an online mode or to visit every place (the explorer trophy). When these trophies are functional with that solution, it would help me a LOT!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.