Sony handing out PS4's

Rubieno

Hey guys,

I'd like to know your opinion about the fact that Sony is handing out PS4's to people that either work for some company that reviews games or just to some popular Youtube guys. I think that this is a really bad decision of Sony and just unfair to the true fans of Playstation. They give PS4's to guys, that either just do their job or that play both consoles... People that don't care as much about the system as us.

Also the fact that I have to wait until the 29th is a real pain since I'll be seeing all these videos on youtube etc about the PS4!

Ruben

Bad decision? Hardly. Sony are getting consoles out to people who will advertise and broadcast the system to a large viewer base. Those reviews and videos that are made will attract others to the console. It's not a poor decision, it's a calculated marketing technique. There's also no way for you to know who cares more about the system. Maybe those people who received one had already reserved a system for day one release. I mean this in the nicest way possible Ruben, but you've no idea what you're talking about :P

If you've that annoyed about waiting for the 29th for the console then just import it. It's extremely easy to buy a US/EU adapter and it's quite simple to rewire a plug to fit EU wall sockets as well.

• Like 1

Just like film studios send own movie tickets, game publishers send out games, record publishers send out CDs, book publishers send out books, etc... marketing to people who review and get publicity for the newly released product. They're not just going to randomly give out PS4s... the free ones to everyday PS player are a part of contests (like Taco Bell).

Marketing? This would be like Ferrari saying "no, we won't lend Top Gear this car so they can review it on national TV, instead we'll give it to Bob".

Marketing? Ok, no problem for me but the fact that they're giving PS4's to people that don't care as much about it as us, the true PS fans. That is just unfair

I can easily accept that IGN & Gamestop are getting their PS4's early! But these guys, for example Francis (boogie2998)... These guys don't deserve to get it early!

Edited by Rubieno

LOL... I just asked the local GameStop manager if he was one of the lucky ones to get a PS4 for free... he in fact was... I was happy for him!   He is a manager with a new system and that means that Sony is investing in marketing... and it also means that they are confident in their product... if the manager at GameStop loves the system then they will let the customers know....

I think its good... i don't mind forking over the money but man it sure would be cool to get one for free, lol

Marketing? Ok, no problem for me but the fact that they're giving PS4's to people that don't care as much about it as us, the true PS fans. That is just unfair

I can easily accept that IGN & Gamestop are getting their PS4's early! But these guys, for example Francis (boogie2998)... These guys don't deserve to get it early!

You do know that Francis is a character created by boogie right? I am almost positive that he appreciates it but his channel is also about comedy, which he did well in that video. Also it is completely fair. These people's jobs revolve around gaming and they can reach a large audience to give their opinions on it and market the console. Because of the choices that they have made and hard work they put into their jobs to get where they are today they 100% deserve it. 

Edited by silver_pigy

You do know that Francis is a character created by boogie right? I am almost positive that he appreciates it but his channel is also about comedy, which he did well in that video.

Yes, I know it's a character, created by boogie! But I just can't understand how he deserves to get a PS4 before launch... :(

Hmm I understand your dismay on the topic and see how it seems unfair to people who are dedicated Sony or PS fans.

Giving their system away will give them good rep for supporting members of different communities, such as IGN and other game reviewing networks and Youtube as it has become a media giant in everything. Sure some people they send it out to wont like the system and may give it a bad or meh review, but almost majority of Youtubers, reviewers, etc, will most likely give it a decent score since Sony is so confident in their system by giving it away to so many people for free.

It's purely a marketing technique to give their system even more time in the spotlight. From a business and economic standpoint, it would make absolutely no sense to give PS4s out to people like us that just are huge fans of their product, but will make no positive impact on sales or popularity. No matter how "unfair" it seems, there are too many of us and it wouldn't make any sense on their part.

• Like 1

And what exactly makes someone a true PS fan? anyone can play on PS, anyone can say they're a PS fan, but it doesn't really make them "true PS fans"

If you like a product it doesn't mean you're a fan or whatsoever. Atleast not in my opinion.

Edited by xIKatherine

The way I see it is that it is their console and they can hand it out to whoever the hell they want. Also the people who have been handed one, how do you know how much they care about PS, from the guys that I have seen who have one, most have bought and played every Playstation ever released but they probably don't give a shit right?. So some people don't deserve to get it early, why? Do you deserve to get it early? I highly doubt it. Hell I have been reading books all my life but I don't get my panties in a bunch because Amazon never gave me a free Kindle Fire

• Like 1

Yeah, that guy has 800k+ subscribers, it's all marketing.

It's purely a marketing technique to give their system even more time in the spotlight. From a business and economic standpoint, it would make absolutely no sense to give PS4s out to people like us that just are huge fans of their product, but will make no positive impact on sales or popularity. No matter how "unfair" it seems, there are too many of us and it wouldn't make any sense on their part.

Also, keep in mind that the "true PS fans" are the ones that will be buying Playstation 4's anyways.  So by giving them free consoles, they're actually taking away guaranteed sales.

• Like 2

Hey guys,

I'd like to know your opinion about the fact that Sony is handing out PS4's to people that either work for some company that reviews games or just to some popular Youtube guys. I think that this is a really bad decision of Sony and just unfair to the true fans of Playstation. They give PS4's to guys, that either just do their job or that play both consoles... People that don't care as much about the system as us.

Also the fact that I have to wait until the 29th is a real pain since I'll be seeing all these videos on youtube etc about the PS4!

Ruben

Just like everyone said, it's a marketing technique. But if you want a free PS4, you can win it right here on PSNP. All you have to do is get all the trophies legit for A-men 2 https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/10387-competition-ps4-psvita-and-games-up-for-grabs/

Yes, I know it's a character, created by boogie! But I just can't understand how he deserves to get a PS4 before launch... :(

Life doesn't wait for you to understand, or particularly care if someone deserves something. Life is not fair. And this is all business. If it makes Sony money, then it "deserves" to be done, in their eyes.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have an awesome idea that can benefit all of us and get freebies from every gaming company ever made.....

1. We all make Youtube channels.

2. We subscribe to all of each others channels.

3. We share all of each other channels.

4. Make some legit good videos.

5. ..............

6. Free stuff for all of us.

I predict that if we start this now, in 6-7 years we can all get free PS5s, now that would be cool yeah? ;P

I call this the "Youtube Scheme", basically like a pyramid scheme but Youtube version.

Edited by GetMitched
  • Like 2