Next-gen VR on PS5: the new controller

ziggypossum

03_withnotice.jpg

Stronger immersion with adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, finger-touch detection and more

Features

The new VR controller enables players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. There are several features, including key features from the DualSense controller, which match our vision for what next-generation VR games can be.

●      Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

●       Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

●       Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

●       Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

●       Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/18/next-gen-vr-on-ps5-the-new-controller/

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT
  • Like 4

This news is absolutely massive. In addition to the haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, AND joysticks we are getting finger tracking. This article also confirms it will be done via headset aka inside-out tracking instead of a single camera. I am ecstatic to have dedicated left and right controller as well lol, it was annoying to be ready to play and your hands are swapped in game.

The only question that remains is will any VR1 games be brought forward? I'd imagine the more popular and better selling games that are on other platforms that use inside-out tracking would be. Games like Beat Saber and Superhot. It would be sad to say goodbye to games like Saints and Sinners, as I highly doubt there will be any backward compatibility but hopefully, we will get sequels of those games. 

Very interesting initial design images. I'd be curious if they eventually add a different strap to keep these attached to a players hands. I need to stretch my fingers pretty regularly when playing and it looks like I'd need to take off the VR unit and find a place to put these down to do that.

Curious to see if/how this design evolves

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Very interesting initial design images. I'd be curious if they eventually add a different strap to keep these attached to a players hands. I need to stretch my fingers pretty regularly when playing and it looks like I'd need to take off the VR unit and find a place to put these down to do that.

Curious to see if/how this design evolves

From the image, it looks like there will be straps which will allow you to completely "drop" the controllers.

5 minutes ago, HusKy said:

From the image, it looks like there will be straps which will allow you to completely "drop" the controllers.

It looks like that's what they're supposed to be, but I can't see how they are attached to the controllers. Plus they're too far up the arm to reliably serve that purpose, I think a strap like that would have to be closer to the wrist.

5 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

It would be nice if there was some compatibility for the PS4 VR games. It may be possible since PS4 games are already compatible with PS5.

It's all speculation but if the tracking is completely different (external camera vs headset tracking) then I fear backwards compatibility will not work, but we can only wait and see. Hopefully games that exist on hardware using inside-out tracking will be brought forward. That's my hope. Otherwise hooking up the VR1 to play those games will be terribly inconvenient. 

If they announce a select few games will be backwards compatible then it is a day one buy for me. 

Edited by MikeCheck--

How do they do on Beat Saber? That is all that matters. If they can track Beat Saber accurately, then they will be fine for all other applications. TBH, these look a little cumbersome for swinging around. 

(I got very good at Beat Saber over lockdown, it was my only exercise and I'd do 1hr+ a day for months. My scores are usually top 300, and top 100 for my favourite songs. But I reached the limit of what the tracking can do when I started playing songs at 150% speed on Expert+, and I need better controllers now.)

24 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I did see those. But then they'd just be hanging off my wrists and I'd need to take off the VR unit to put them back on easily, rather than fumbling them back on.

I'm hoping for some kind of strap that can go across the back of the hand in addition to/instead of the wrist straps.

15 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I did see those. But then they'd just be hanging off my wrists and I'd need to take off the VR unit to put them back on easily, rather than fumbling them back on.

I'm hoping for some kind of strap that can go across the back of the hand in addition to/instead of the wrist straps.

Alright, I see what you mean. Something closer to Valve Index controller I suppose? We will see but it doesn't look like these controlles will have that kind of strap.

Controllers have really been the biggest issue with PS VR 1. I could live with the same resolution for a few more years but better tracking and analogue sticks will make games so much more playable and immersive. Really excited about the PS5 and much of it is thanks to better future VR solutions. We're in for a wild ride!

• Like 1

Finally, thank god - the move controllers were terrible. So terrible that I opt to use my dualshock for most games. That "hold down a button and tilt the move controller to move" control scheme was the bane of my existence. Nice that we finally get proper controllers.

45 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

Woow, this really looks impressive! Cool design aswell, Also i hope the VR2 is wireless( which the prob are 1f44d.png

Honestly, I hope it isn't, because that would be terrible for 2+ hour play sessions. I can't imagine them getting a wireless headset with a good quality screen that lasts more than that long. The battery would be annoying to wear as well.