rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

Thanx for the mention, Hey mate sorry not spoke in yonks, hows things?, i'm still take ages to finish games :( btw one day i'll read your reviews throughly and thats the bottom line cos the undisputed champion of the world cos Richard X said so lmao

Edited by RockySanchez666
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RockySanchez666 said:

Thanx for the mention, Hey mate sorry not spoke in yonks, hows things?, i'm still take ages to finish games :( btw one day i'll read your reviews throughly and thats the bottom line cos the undisputed champion of the world cos Richard X said so lmao

My pleasure dude!

That really was quite strange when I saw the notification that you'd commented on the thread last year - strange but absolutely awesome! I'm doing alright thanks, hope you are too.... I'll drop you a message on PSN later so we can have a proper catch up, there have been so many times I've meant to message you but kept putting it off, as the time between was getting longer and longer, I felt more and more awkward about it. Something we've both done in the past haha ?

I'm sure one of these days you'll go on an a mammoth run where you just crush out loads of the games that you already have almost all of the trophies in.

No pressure to read those reviews mate... they are there if you want to,  It's a lot of reading at this point, you might need to find a good pair of reading glasses first ?..... ?

Even more so since last night, with that NieR: Repliant review I put out being a pretty mammoth one I must say, and I'm pretty sure there are still things I meant to put in that, which I left out xD... I'm still planning to drag your arse in here when I end up reviewing some of the WWE games that you and I have played together, because how could I not.

23 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #350

NieR: Replicant (PS4)

L1bbb91.png

Great work as usual, man!

Even as a NieR NooB, I can say that the idea of tackling the story from these different perspectives was a fascinating way to go, and just from that alone I can see why these games have affected you so. Especially with all that talk of them addressing both spectrum ends of the human condition. That shit can indeed be quite powerful in the right hands, it takes a lot of work to get it right but when somebody does,?

And then add those face pants? Aw man. Fugghetaboutit.

Also, you mentioning Mantis' Hymn really struck me; I loved that track so much that during some playthroughs I'd just kick it in the office and listen to it. I consulted YouTube about this Emil's Mansion theme you spoke of and yeah, that's a great comparison! Can definitely see it.

I forget that I'm older than you sometimes, I pictured lil Mr. Clarke accidentally running from the Commander's office into the Spencer Mansion and being terrified by both. Poor lil fella!

As always, I love how passionately you sell the story here, that alone is a huge selling point. For me personally, I think I'm at a point where I'm more hesitant to add larger games to the backlog, but if I'm ever able to whittle down some of the other big games I'm currently struggling to take down, this one is definitely gonna stick in the memory. 

Also Laura Bailey 4 lyf?

• Like 1

Oh damn the review is here! As expected, you loved this version just as much as the old one (what a shock, I know :P ) and...we pretty much had the same experience xD To the point where I have nothing extra to add ?

On 5/2/2022 at 6:29 AM, rjkclarke said:

Now, I might surprise anyone still reading here, but now I need to discuss something I really didn’t get on with. It must be said though – I need to give some context.  If you haven’t read the review I linked (it isn’t a necessity) then it’s basically time to say, that Seafront is one of, if not my favourite location in the game, I love the peaceful tranquillity that it has, that sets it apart from almost any area in the game. It also has to be said, that this will only be relevant if you’ve played the Gestalt version of NieR, as the section I’m about to discuss isn’t in that version, this section is completely new to the PS4 version of Replicant. So don’t be panicked by what I’m about to go into, as if you’re just planning to play the PS4 version this will just be a natural part of the game for you, and almost certainly isn't something that would impede your experience.

To say that I didn’t like the new section in Seafront is a bit unfair, because I did, I just didn’t think it was particularly noteworthy. The real problem I had is that I didn’t think it fit in tonally with this game. The whole subplot with Louise and the Postman felt like something from NieR:Automata, to me it just felt like an out of place inclusion. There is quite a gulf of difference between the tone of Replicant and Automata, so it felt like a strange choice.

It definitely isn’t bad in any sense of the word; I just didn’t feel it fit. I also think the absolute downpour of loading screens you have to sit through on repeat playthroughs did get a little much. Even with the added revelations that the B, C and D ending playthroughs afford you, I still don’t think it particularly hit the highs that I think it could have. It’s partly my own fault for expecting it to go one very Yoko Taro direction, which it just didn’t go in, and it felt like a wasted opportunity. Still, it was nice to see Seafront expanded a little bit, so I at least appreciated the effort, I just didn’t love the new inclusion the way that I wanted to.  

So that's what was feeling slightly off during my playthrough of the PS4 version...it's such a small thing but yeah it did impact my "Seafront chill experience" a bit.

For me, I didn't really have any issue with the character itself (it's part of a short story, it's explained why it was called to that area, the similarities with the Little Mermaid), the only issue I would have is that they added Louise in Seafront, the most peaceful place in the game xD please let me fish boots and marlins in peace. 

Maybe if they added an extra stranded beach or an island or something?

The new inclusion that really does work, is the new ending branch that is exclusive to this version. It's something that we've all been able to read about for a long time, had we wanted to. However, the fact it's included in the game and it's playable is absolutely fantastic, it was the last thing that I ever did in the game, and it really did feel like my "final reward" so to speak. I'm dancing around some very vague territory because it's incredibly spoiler heavy, but I absolutely enjoyed how well it links to Automata. It also got me wanting to play a game that I know we'll probably never get, but a guy can dream I suppose.

The name of branch E trophy is e8a898e686b6e382b5e383bce38390e383bc. What I did was putting this code in a hexadecimal to text converter, then translated that text into english. It doesn't get any more Yoko Taro than this, making me translate shit like that xD 

I also tried to translate the trophy description but I think that's gibberish.

Something I must mention though – that I forgot to mention in my review of NieR:Gestalt is just how unsettling the music in Emil’s mansion is. It is absolutely genius and it reminds me so much of Mantis’ Hymn from the original Metal Gear Solid, but with haunting vocals over the top. That Mantis Hymn piece of music scared me so much as a child I didn’t want to go into the dark upstairs part of my house (that’ll teach me for playing that before I’m old enough).  The music in Emil’s Mansion builds atmosphere and tension so incredibly well. There is an incredible amount of detail in the sound design in this game. When and where to use specific pieces of music are always important, it’s very deliberate and every single thing seems to have been done with a very clear purpose in mind.

THAT FIRSt PLAYTHROUGH! That music, the goddamn paintings, the sounds, the statues...

Emil's Mansion was one of the most unsettling places ever. How can one man (Yoko Taro) be so devious xD goddamnit! 

Something I was genuinely apprehensive about going into NieR: Replicant was the voice acting. Jamieson Price gives one of my favourite voice performances in any game ever, as the Father version of Nier. He has such range and versatility in that role; he exemplifies the light and the dark aspects of that version of the character so well. The torment, the pain, the internal anguish and the bitterness and anger, all whilst trying to unwaveringly stay strong for his rag-tag group of friends that have become his family. His three words of “DON’T LOOK BACK” when you revisit The Aerie in part two have stayed with me for years and years.

Luckily for me, that apprehension (as it often seems to be with me) was not needed. Ray Chase is incredibly good as Adult Brother Nier, he’s very different to Jamieson Price, but I really like that. That scene in the Aerie is less impactful for me in this version, but I could think of plenty of other moments that are more impactful in this version, that weren’t in the Gestalt version (another absolute positive). So, earlier I said I had to frantically wipe tears out of my eyes in the middle of a boss fight right? Well in this game, that was your fault Ray Chase – in the fight in Shadowlords castle with Two People (I won’t say who, if you've played it you know) his absolutely distraught and defeated voice as he exclaims “I don’t want to fight her” never failed to hit me incredibly hard in the old emotions, only for Laura Bailey to make me laugh five seconds later with one of Kaine’s lines. What an absolute rollercoaster of emotions this game can take you on, but it’s one I didn’t want to get off in a hurry I can tell you that much.   

What I found interesting is that no version is superior to the other, like you can't say "Gestalt is way better" or "Replicant is killing it in every aspect", just because of the voices! In some parts Father Nier fits better (the DONT LOOK BACK scene) while Brother Nier conveys his hatred and desperation way better. It's such an interesting thing to play these games in parallel. 

The trophies are a little bit laborious in places, the legendary flower trophy has you changing your PS4 Timezone to two different Samoan ones (no really, I’m not joking) if you want to get it as quick as possible. I’m not telling you how to play your games, you do you, but I see a lot of guides saying do the Speedrun trophy first, but I personally wouldn’t recommend it (to be fair to the guide writers it is best for trophy efficiency). unfortunately, as a result you miss out a lot by skipping all of Young Nier’s sections. I just made a backup save after the prologue and reloaded that later on, at least that way you can happily watch all of the cutscenes in part one even if you don’t lean into doing side-quests.  The item crafting can be a little grind heavy, but you don’t have to upgrade every single weapon like I did, Replicant really does streamline the item gathering experience too, compared to the Gestalt version, so it is a real improvement.

I only imagine the Sony support scratching their heads thinking "why are so many users teleporting from East Samoa to West Samoa?" , cause we all did that for that stupid flower xD 

Damn, now I want to replay this game...the only problem with NieR is that I want more emotional asskicking from other games, which is pretty difficult to find.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 3:24 AM, rjkclarke said:

It is mad isn't it. It's what the third time it's being brought back now.. I'm sure if it gets cancelled again it'll come back once we're all heads in jars. I did hear John Dimaggio might not be coming back though, so that might be quite the loss. I hope they're good too though.

Yes! I'm looking forward to Puyo Puyo Champions although I don't think I'll platinum it quickly, who knows. I've not really played any games the last couple of days, what limited time I've had I've been watching Snooker or writing, but hopefully I can get and do some gaming next week. Get back on the horse so to speak haha?

Yeah think it is the third time it is being brought back lol it is crazy. I thought John DiMaggio had agreed to come back along with everyone else? Maybe I imagined that. Hopefully not. You can't do it without the original voice actors. 

Yes I figured you would have been watching the snooker of course. Saw small parts of it, congrats to Rocket Ronnie on equalling Stephen Hendry's record of 7 World Championships, very impressive.

Yeah........ I did, that is pretty obscene..... SO when did you order one Mr Collector? xD

Haha yeah I'm a collector but there are limits lol I'll buy it when I win the lottery (which will be never haha)

Latest Square Enix news is that they are selling off their western arm of the business (Eidos, Crystal Dynamics etc.) with all the IP's they had like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex etc. for 300 million USD to a Swedish company. That is incredibly cheap considering but hopefully those franchises can get better games in the future (I liked the new Tomb Raider trilogy overall, but Deus Ex was undeservedly dead in the water). Then you think "Well, SE can put that money into sorting out their games division, put more resources into the big FF's etc. and really sort out these poor releases like Chocobo GP and Babylon's Fall of recent times" and then you realise that they are going to put that money into blockchain etc. (FACEPALM)

It isn't my favourite one either, that's probably IX, or maybe X. I'm not actually sure now....... But yes, I do have an iPod Classic still. Although if you're familiar with the Triggers Broom gag from Only Fools and Horses my iPod is a little like that, in that I don't know how many parts are actually it's original ones anymore ? Frankenstein's iPod if you will haha.

I don't know if they're worth money though. I really like the fact you can put so much music on them, so I've never felt the need to just use my phone as a music player.

Final Fantasy has so many great songs from each of it's games that it is incredibly hard to pick a favourite soundtrack certainly. IX and X's are both fantastic soundtracks. Haha well I'm not familiar with that gag, but I can imagine how your iPod might look lol 

Used to have an iPod back in the day myself, nowadays if I want to listen to music I just default to Youtube lol

Oh yeah! Those stiff controls are a really good point actually - because weirdly, in some ways Farenheit feels less clunky to control than the other games do. It's like in the latest ones they have to be in the most specific spot to interact with some of the hotspots the game wants you to interact with. Good spot that, because I'd forgotten how rigid some of the walking animations actually feel in those games.

Now that's pretty interesting considering that was before all these other games. Did David Cage think "Well you know what would make our future games better? Clunky controls! That's what players love to have!" lol Is the Star Wars one they do going to be a battle just to get the character to go in the right direction?

Rigid to say the least lol I'll take the old school RE tank controls any day.

Thanks, so much dude! You did tell me that, but as I spend much of my time doubting myself, I was always going to have to have a few people probably nudge me in the right direction to actually do it!

I still think it's mental that it got to the 1000th post one year to the day that the thread started too. I could never have expected that, but it's still kind of cool I guess in a way.

You know - I deliberately put off playing Days Gone for that exact reason that I'd heard it plays so much better on PS5, like drastically better. I know quite a few people who have got pretty broad opinions on that game. Some really love it, and others are pretty indifferent to it, or hate it. But there's enough intrigue there for me that I want to find out what the deal is at some point myself. Sounds like that SSD Expansion is going to rather come in handy.

Well thankfully enough people did, and you did it and it was all good. ?

That is quite an achievement. The challenge now is to get to 2000 posts on the 2 year anniversary haha 

Yes it most certainly is! Not got loads of room on the console storage already so by the time the other games eventually get installed (whenever the wife gives them to me as presents lol) we will see how much room overall is left. I'm assuming that the console when it realises that there isn't enough room left for a game will default and install on the expansion instead. 

Yes well if I get to Days Gone then I will try to remember to let you know how it functions, but yes certainly it seems like it sold enough to warrant a sequel but not enough for Sony in order to guarantee one, and the critical and general reception to the game was all over the place. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Great work as usual, man!

Even as a NieR NooB, I can say that the idea of tackling the story from these different perspectives was a fascinating way to go, and just from that alone I can see why these games have affected you so. Especially with all that talk of them addressing both spectrum ends of the human condition. That shit can indeed be quite powerful in the right hands, it takes a lot of work to get it right but when somebody does,?

And then add those face pants? Aw man. Fugghetaboutit.

Cheers dude!

I find it hard to imagine I'll come across a video game story that I enjoyed as fully as this one, but I'm more than open to the idea of it, so I guess I'll have to see what the future holds on that one.

It's got so many interesting conceptual ideas in it that could go disastrously wrong if they were being tackled by the wrong person. It's definitely one that I'd always recommend to almost anyone, if possible!

9 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Also, you mentioning Mantis' Hymn really struck me; I loved that track so much that during some playthroughs I'd just kick it in the office and listen to it. I consulted YouTube about this Emil's Mansion theme you spoke of and yeah, that's a great comparison! Can definitely see it.

I forget that I'm older than you sometimes, I pictured lil Mr. Clarke accidentally running from the Commander's office into the Spencer Mansion and being terrified by both. Poor lil fella!

I really love the Mantis' Hymn track now, but for the longest time it absolutely terrified me. In fact it was only quite a bit later on that I came to the startling realisation of how good those Harry Gregson Williams Metal Gear soundtracks actually are. His absolutely powerhouse career as a composer kind of speaks for itself really. 

I wasn't joking it literally made me afraid to go upstairs in the dark, as my frightened brain would always play Mantis' creepy dialogue too, then I'd be reminded about how unsettling and ethereal that track and area of the game are.

I'm glad you went and checked out the mansion theme - and that you agree too. There's just something about it that gets under your skin, but in the context of the game world it is chilling when you return there after the story events, and it's creepy enough when you go there in the game for the very first time haha.

Haha! ? This is one of the times where the seven year age gap between us is a little more noticeable. I think if I'd been playing Metal Gear Solid, when I was 15/16 I would have just loved the track too, instead of making me worried I'd need to buy new underwear every time I had to go upstairs xD

10 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

As always, I love how passionately you sell the story here, that alone is a huge selling point. For me personally, I think I'm at a point where I'm more hesitant to add larger games to the backlog, but if I'm ever able to whittle down some of the other big games I'm currently struggling to take down, this one is definitely gonna stick in the memory. 

Also Laura Bailey 4 lyf1f918.png

Thanks again man!

Not to go too overbearing fan on you..... BUT, I CAN'T HELP MYSELF!! ?

NieR is not actually as long as I probably made it out to be. I took about 74 hours with it, but I did practically everything there was to do in it. Realistically the Platinum is about 50 hours, maybe a fair bit less depending on how much RNG is on your side.... still long I know, but manageable. If you were going to add a larger game to the backlog then I think this should absolutely be one of them.

I definitely think it's one you'd have a pretty magnificent time with the game. There's quite a few elements of it that I think you'd enjoy for quite a few of the same reasons I did.... so fingers crossed you play it at some point!

6 hours ago, Copanele said:

Oh damn the review is here! As expected, you loved this version just as much as the old one (what a shock, I know :P ) and...we pretty much had the same experience xD To the point where I have nothing extra to add 1f605.png

So that's what was feeling slightly off during my playthrough of the PS4 version...it's such a small thing but yeah it did impact my "Seafront chill experience" a bit.

For me, I didn't really have any issue with the character itself (it's part of a short story, it's explained why it was called to that area, the similarities with the Little Mermaid), the only issue I would have is that they added Louise in Seafront, the most peaceful place in the game xD please let me fish boots and marlins in peace. 

Maybe if they added an extra stranded beach or an island or something?

You know what though? I surprised myself that I loved this version as much as I did. I expected to really enjoy it, but I thought it'd be like watching a Director's Cut of a movie with like a half hour of extra footage. Instead it's like the game equivalent of the two versions of Christopher Reeve's  Superman II.... In that the Richard Donner version and the Theatrical version feel like almost entirely separate things, and I really love that aspect to the two versions of NIeR.

I think the character was fine enough. I just created my own problem, by thinking it would play out in a completely different way. It was the fact that she had the red bag, it made me think Yoko Taro was going to go in a very dark direction, he still did, but it wasn't as dark as I expected! I rambled like a clown the, but I hope I made sense ?

You're absolutely onto something there, with the extra stranded beach or an island, or just something slightly different.It does disturb the tranquillity of the place, and it's a little bit of a shame. You know what they could have used? There's a bit in the recycled vessel DLC, where you're on a barge thing and you can see Seafront in the background, that might have been a good place to slot in that boss fight.

The name of branch E trophy is e8a898e686b6e382b5e383bce38390e383bc. What I did was putting this code in a hexadecimal to text converter, then translated that text into english. It doesn't get any more Yoko Taro than this, making me translate shit like that xD 

I also tried to translate the trophy description but I think that's gibberish.

OH YOU EVIL AWESOME PERSON!

You made me do it too..... Oh that's really clever, especially with what the implications of that ending are..... Bloody hell, still even now finding new things to love about this damn awesome game. Thanks Copa!

THAT FIRSt PLAYTHROUGH! That music, the goddamn paintings, the sounds, the statues...

Emil's Mansion was one of the most unsettling places ever. How can one man (Yoko Taro) be so devious xD goddamnit! 

I could have written a stupid amount in either of the reviews about locations in NieR, specifically Emil's mansion, but damnit is that place incredibly well designed. It's when the paintings change and even Weiss gets a little antsy that the unsettling-ness gets turned up to eleven......THOUSAND ?

What I found interesting is that no version is superior to the other, like you can't say "Gestalt is way better" or "Replicant is killing it in every aspect", just because of the voices! In some parts Father Nier fits better (the DONT LOOK BACK scene) while Brother Nier conveys his hatred and desperation way better. It's such an interesting thing to play these games in parallel. 

I was having that exact discussion with someone else recently, about how neither version you can say is better, and I love that. So I'm really pleased you're in exactly the same boat with that one too! 

Absolutely! Well said, I think the Brother NieR voice is really amazing in some of those quieter thoughtful moments for the character, that scene where he gets forced out of the room in the Goose fight, and he just quietly says "My friend" as if he's only just realised for the first time, that that really was the act of a friend to do what he did.... It's understated but it's amazing. It's those tiny brilliant attentions to detail that draw me into the world so much. 

I only imagine the Sony support scratching their heads thinking "why are so many users teleporting from East Samoa to West Samoa?" , cause we all did that for that stupid flower xD 

Damn, now I want to replay this game...the only problem with NieR is that I want more emotional asskicking from other games, which is pretty difficult to find.

I know of at least one person recently  who didn't do it by teleporting in and out of East and West Samoa, but they most certainly are in the minority. That trophy is definitely better in the PS3 version.... But the guides that are around do a hell of a good job of explaining how the clock manipulations work, otherwise I'd just shrug my shoulders and call it evil eldritch magic haha ?

I know exactly what you mean about wanting more emotional asskicking from games...  NieR is so unique in that specific aspect! It's why I put in my status update about it, how I'm not sure I'll ever find a video game I love quite so much ever again.... I almost feel like that South Park episode where Cartman sees the people with arses for faces, and laughs so hard that he thinks he'll never see anything that funny again! Like I said though, I'm looking forward to seeing if something comes along and really speaks to me like that again!

48 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Yeah think it is the third time it is being brought back lol it is crazy. I thought John DiMaggio had agreed to come back along with everyone else? Maybe I imagined that. Hopefully not. You can't do it without the original voice actors. 

Yes I figured you would have been watching the snooker of course. Saw small parts of it, congrats to Rocket Ronnie on equalling Stephen Hendry's record of 7 World Championships, very impressive.

I think there was a pay dispute or something but that was months and months ago, and it's probably been resolved now. I agree you couldn't really do it without the original voice actors it wouldn't feel like the same show!

I have been watching Snooker for pretty much all of the free time I've had, then barely sleeping over the last 2 weeks to try and cram everything else in.

Now my big problem is POST SNOOKER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BLUES..... Might have to review a Snooker game as I'm still fully in Snooker mode!  I feel a bit sad that it's all over, and I do every year. That final was so emotional, that hug from Ronnie and Judd at the end - and Ronnie's Eurosport interview was something really special. He plays down how much it matters to him, for his own sanity, but those two moments really encapsulated how special it really was. So now there's Two King's of the Crucible.

53 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Haha yeah I'm a collector but there are limits lol I'll buy it when I win the lottery (which will be never haha)

Latest Square Enix news is that they are selling off their western arm of the business (Eidos, Crystal Dynamics etc.) with all the IP's they had like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex etc. for 300 million USD to a Swedish company. That is incredibly cheap considering but hopefully those franchises can get better games in the future (I liked the new Tomb Raider trilogy overall, but Deus Ex was undeservedly dead in the water). Then you think "Well, SE can put that money into sorting out their games division, put more resources into the big FF's etc. and really sort out these poor releases like Chocobo GP and Babylon's Fall of recent times" and then you realise that they are going to put that money into blockchain etc. (FACEPALM)

Never say never!

That is quite a steal when you think about all those IP's they've just given away, some of my favourite IP's amongst them.... I think that includes Legacy of Kain too, so you know fingers crossed someone at that Swedish company decides to do something with that formant property.

I really like the new Tomb Raider trilogy, a lot more than most anyway.... I wish they could persuade Amy Hennig to write a Tomb Raider story, I think she could do something really amazing with that property. So fingers crossed that new Tomb Raider game still happens, even if this Swedish Company is taking over...... I always thought the Jensen Deus Ex games were building towards a full fledged remake of the original Deus Ex, that seemed to be where the story was headed, but I'll personally take anything from that IP if I'm honest..... Most of all though, I just hope the staff from all of those companies can do some new and creative things they might not have gotten to do at Square.

1 hour ago, The_Kopite said:

Final Fantasy has so many great songs from each of it's games that it is incredibly hard to pick a favourite soundtrack certainly. IX and X's are both fantastic soundtracks. Haha well I'm not familiar with that gag, but I can imagine how your iPod might look lol 

Used to have an iPod back in the day myself, nowadays if I want to listen to music I just default to Youtube lol

It looks pretty beat up at this point - but I think even if it went wrong, I'd go out of my way to get another one. Having 80GB or more to have as music or podcasts on there is an option I always like to have. YouTube is always a pretty solid option though - although not for me as my phone is about as useful as a music player as a piece of welsh slate would be ?

Now that's pretty interesting considering that was before all these other games. Did David Cage think "Well you know what would make our future games better? Clunky controls! That's what players love to have!" lol Is the Star Wars one they do going to be a battle just to get the character to go in the right direction?

Rigid to say the least lol I'll take the old school RE tank controls any day.

I honestly think it's the fact that back when he made Farenheit he was very aware he was still making a video game.... He obviously still knows he is, but I think fluid gameplay is less important to him now, .... He's more focused on giving players that "cinematic experience." Instead of a game in the truer sense. Which would be fine, if the stories he tells wouldn't be received absolutely terribly as actual films.

Seriously he would be a terrible film-maker - Detroit is an absolute technical masterpiece, and visually the graphical fidelity is as good as anything on PS4.... BUT, some of the shot selections and the way he frames shots in his games (the things he tries so hard to make like films) look so bizarre and off-kilter. You can make a game and still use cinematic techniques, The Witcher 3, and plenty of the Yakuza's prove that, as they have got some really top notch video game cinematography in them.

I really must stop digging out David Cage at some point ?.....

it-is-not-this-day-not-today.gif

As you mentioned Resident Evil, I totally forgot to tell you that Emil's Mansion in NieR is heavily inspired by the architecture of the Spencer Mansion.... It's such a brilliant little homage! Even down to some of the camera angles.

ManorOne_(6).jpg?width=640

Well thankfully enough people did, and you did it and it was all good. 1f44d.png

That is quite an achievement. The challenge now is to get to 2000 posts on the 2 year anniversary haha 

Yes it most certainly is! Not got loads of room on the console storage already so by the time the other games eventually get installed (whenever the wife gives them to me as presents lol) we will see how much room overall is left. I'm assuming that the console when it realises that there isn't enough room left for a game will default and install on the expansion instead. 

Yes well if I get to Days Gone then I will try to remember to let you know how it functions, but yes certainly it seems like it sold enough to warrant a sequel but not enough for Sony in order to guarantee one, and the critical and general reception to the game was all over the place. 

I'm always going to be one of those self doubting tit's that needs the occasional nudge in the right direction unfortunately haha.

I can't imagine 2000 on the 2 Year Anniversary being a thing, but enough strange things have already happened in this thread, so who can say for sure!

That's the curse of installing loads of games and then not starting them or finishing them promptly, I know that one all too well xD! Yes please, let me know how you find Days Gone when you do, it's one of those games where the reaction is so mixed you almost have to have loads of opinions at the ready to collate together to know whether you'll actually have a good time with it, so I'd love to know!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I think there was a pay dispute or something but that was months and months ago, and it's probably been resolved now. I agree you couldn't really do it without the original voice actors it wouldn't feel like the same show!

I have been watching Snooker for pretty much all of the free time I've had, then barely sleeping over the last 2 weeks to try and cram everything else in.

Now my big problem is POST SNOOKER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BLUES..... Might have to review a Snooker game as I'm still fully in Snooker mode!  I feel a bit sad that it's all over, and I do every year. That final was so emotional, that hug from Ronnie and Judd at the end - and Ronnie's Eurosport interview was something really special. He plays down how much it matters to him, for his own sanity, but those two moments really encapsulated how special it really was. So now there's Two King's of the Crucible.

Absolutely! Hopefully they did sort it out. With live shows, you can (as has happened in the past) recast actors and have varying results, but voice actors I believe are harder to recast even though you don't see them lol I'm probably in the minority here, but I think it can be more detrimental.

Haha I knew you'd be doing that. Yeah there are two kings of the Crucible, both fantastic players who are era defining. Hey, if you are in the mood to review a Snooker game to keep up that Snooker momentum, maybe you will start looking at doing a trophy guide too!

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Never say never!

That is quite a steal when you think about all those IP's they've just given away, some of my favourite IP's amongst them.... I think that includes Legacy of Kain too, so you know fingers crossed someone at that Swedish company decides to do something with that formant property.

I really like the new Tomb Raider trilogy, a lot more than most anyway.... I wish they could persuade Amy Hennig to write a Tomb Raider story, I think she could do something really amazing with that property. So fingers crossed that new Tomb Raider game still happens, even if this Swedish Company is taking over...... I always thought the Jensen Deus Ex games were building towards a full fledged remake of the original Deus Ex, that seemed to be where the story was headed, but I'll personally take anything from that IP if I'm honest..... Most of all though, I just hope the staff from all of those companies can do some new and creative things they might not have gotten to do at Square.

Haha well I can wish!

Yes of course it does! Yeah absolutely so again there the possibility of a new Legacy of Kain game (or at least some kind of remaster or even port with trophies?) should improve you'd have thought. Agree 100% that for the price, getting those studios and IP's is an absolute steal. 

Yeah she most likely would be able to given her history with the Uncharted series. There are rumours that she is working on the Star Wars game that she had to shelve years ago. If so, that could be exciting. 

I'd be shocked if they didn't carry on with the newly established modern Tomb Raider series. Tomb Raider is the standout franchise from the ones they have acquired and with others like Deus Ex, if they get the right teams together and let them be creative then the new games could be real heavy hitters!

It looks pretty beat up at this point - but I think even if it went wrong, I'd go out of my way to get another one. Having 80GB or more to have as music or podcasts on there is an option I always like to have. YouTube is always a pretty solid option though - although not for me as my phone is about as useful as a music player as a piece of welsh slate would be 1f602.png

I was shocked that Apple still sold iPod's tbh, but then I've never been an Apple kind of guy. Had one iPod and that was it, not even an iPhone lol Would walk right past an Apple store lol

Haha sounds like you need to buy a new phone with a new iPod!

I honestly think it's the fact that back when he made Farenheit he was very aware he was still making a video game.... He obviously still knows he is, but I think fluid gameplay is less important to him now, .... He's more focused on giving players that "cinematic experience." Instead of a game in the truer sense. Which would be fine, if the stories he tells wouldn't be received absolutely terribly as actual films.

Seriously he would be a terrible film-maker - Detroit is an absolute technical masterpiece, and visually the graphical fidelity is as good as anything on PS4.... BUT, some of the shot selections and the way he frames shots in his games (the things he tries so hard to make like films) look so bizarre and off-kilter. You can make a game and still use cinematic techniques, The Witcher 3, and plenty of the Yakuza's prove that, as they have got some really top notch video game cinematography in them.

I really must stop digging out David Cage at some point 1f606.png.....

it-is-not-this-day-not-today.gif

As you mentioned Resident Evil, I totally forgot to tell you that Emil's Mansion in NieR is heavily inspired by the architecture of the Spencer Mansion.... It's such a brilliant little homage! Even down to some of the camera angles.

ManorOne_(6).jpg?width=640

Yeah, that's a very fair point and makes total sense. Someone in his team needs to tell him that (especially with the next one being Star Wars and the fandom that exists) that his games need to play smoother. It would benefit the story telling rather than being frustrated and that taking you out of the game somewhat.

I'll admit, things like cinematography and camera angles aren't something that I will notice that much unless it is really obviously done in a specific and bad way (Here's looking at you Original PS3 Mass Effect games with your focus on the bums lol) but I will take your word for it.You are correct, Detroit is technically extremely good, and was really impressed with it's look and performance on PS4.

Haha that gif is funny lol think it'll be a long way away and in the meantime, you'll be digging out David Cage some more lol

Ah nice man! Thanks for showing me that. When I first looked at the image, for a split second I thought it was old school RE. Really cool! 

Like I think SE should do a FF Classics series and make them turn based battles, smaller in scope and 2d like I-VI, Capcom should do a RE Classics type game spinoff with the tank controls and fixed camera angles. Of course it's just a dream but still, think there would be a market for them.

I'm always going to be one of those self doubting tit's that needs the occasional nudge in the right direction unfortunately haha.

I can't imagine 2000 on the 2 Year Anniversary being a thing, but enough strange things have already happened in this thread, so who can say for sure!

That's the curse of installing loads of games and then not starting them or finishing them promptly, I know that one all too well xD! Yes please, let me know how you find Days Gone when you do, it's one of those games where the reaction is so mixed you almost have to have loads of opinions at the ready to collate together to know whether you'll actually have a good time with it, so I'd love to know!

Well somehow I missed this last part of your repsonse so sorry for that! lol

Haha well you have lots of people here who will happily nudge you in the right direction.

It would be funny if it did happen. 1000 for 1 year is a hell of a coincidence.

Yes exactly! The wife just bought Cat Quest 2 as she really enjoys the first one (Good game definitely, well worth a play through and a good plat!) and both of those are on PS5 now as she is really enjoying gaming on there so that's one game off the PS4, but there are so many on there as I try to get through the backlog, I'm very glad we put a 2TB HD in there many years ago! The PS5 total space sadly is lower even with the 1TB SSD Expansion we put in, so obviously not wanting to fill it up with PS4 games when they can stay on the PS4 lol trying to be picky about that.

Yes, it's one I will try to get too when I can. Firstly I need to platinum RE2R for 250. Sadly I had to go backwards to a previous save in order to go forwards in the game. Needed more health and a better weapon but I've progressed past the boss I was stuck on now so doing that was totally worth it and hopefully the Leon B Standard run under 3 hours will be done very soon. Leaving a Claire B Standard run under 3 hours and then both Leon and Claire's Hardcore runs. 

• Like 1

I remember you mentioned my name in this thread, but I didn't have time to really post because on that day I had to go to work. I've been really bad about checking up on other peoples threads, see what they're doing, but you put a lot of effort into this thread. I just want to say thanks.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Absolutely! Hopefully they did sort it out. With live shows, you can (as has happened in the past) recast actors and have varying results, but voice actors I believe are harder to recast even though you don't see them lol I'm probably in the minority here, but I think it can be more detrimental.

Haha I knew you'd be doing that. Yeah there are two kings of the Crucible, both fantastic players who are era defining. Hey, if you are in the mood to review a Snooker game to keep up that Snooker momentum, maybe you will start looking at doing a trophy guide too!

Depends how iconic the voice is I suppose. There are some voices where it'd be incredibly noticeable.... It'd be like someone trying to do John Hurts voice for example, that guy had such a distinctive and interesting voice, but sounding even close to that would be hard for any impersonator, it's such a specific graveliness ?

I'm definitely thinking about writing that Snooker game guide, I was planning to play a bit of Snooker 19 again soon, so if I can manage to recorda 147 whilst I'm playing it then that'd be a handy thing on standby for a guide.

Yes of course it does! Yeah absolutely so again there the possibility of a new Legacy of Kain game (or at least some kind of remaster or even port with trophies?) should improve you'd have thought. Agree 100% that for the price, getting those studios and IP's is an absolute steal. 

Yeah she most likely would be able to given her history with the Uncharted series. There are rumours that she is working on the Star Wars game that she had to shelve years ago. If so, that could be exciting. 

I'd be shocked if they didn't carry on with the newly established modern Tomb Raider series. Tomb Raider is the standout franchise from the ones they have acquired and with others like Deus Ex, if they get the right teams together and let them be creative then the new games could be real heavy hitters!

Oh yeah I always forget she wrote some of the Uncharteds too. ?.... I'm not kidding either, I just always think of Amy Hennig as one of the awesome writers behind Legacy of Kain.... So if she wrote Tomb Raider I guess I can expect Lara to become really annoying, talk every 5 seconds and then make all sorts of stupid noises during platforming sections? To be fair those are more of my problems with the Uncharted games she didn't write, so I'm being well unfair with that one!

Whatever happens, my fingers are crossed that they make better use of those IP's than Square Enix has, because they're such a wildly inconsistent and frustrating company these days, to be sitting on all of those gold mines and not doing anything with them.

I was shocked that Apple still sold iPod's tbh, but then I've never been an Apple kind of guy. Had one iPod and that was it, not even an iPhone lol Would walk right past an Apple store lol

Haha sounds like you need to buy a new phone with a new iPod!

I didn't even know they were still selling iPods. The city where I live luckily has a specialised store just for repairing old iPods. Not an official Apple one obviously. I could probably do with a new phone yeah, but then I'm don't really use my phone all that much outside of being a phone anyway, so I guess I'll just wait until it truly dies before getting another one. It does get really hot during phone calls now so it must be on its last legs now

Ah nice man! Thanks for showing me that. When I first looked at the image, for a split second I thought it was old school RE. Really cool! 

Like I think SE should do a FF Classics series and make them turn based battles, smaller in scope and 2d like I-VI, Capcom should do a RE Classics type game spinoff with the tank controls and fixed camera angles. Of course it's just a dream but still, think there would be a market for them.

It is very true to the Spencer Mansion, but not in a let's rip this off kind of way, it's very much a loving homage. Also in true Resident Evil fashion, it also has an underground lab inside of it, so they went the extra mile with that xD

That'd certainly be an interesting idea, but then I worry that those games from Square Enix might sell just as well as some of their modern output, so they might be reluctant to do it. It's a toughie.

I like the idea of both, although I'm a bit hesitant to say I'd want a Resident Evil with Tank Controls these days. If it's tweaked controls like the PS4 version of the Resident Evil 1 remake had then I'd be a bit more up for it, but tank controls in 2022, are unfortunately going to turn a lot of people off, but then like you say, there probably is a market for them.

Yes exactly! The wife just bought Cat Quest 2 as she really enjoys the first one (Good game definitely, well worth a play through and a good plat!) and both of those are on PS5 now as she is really enjoying gaming on there so that's one game off the PS4

Are you going to play that one together? Cat Quest II has got a pretty big focus on the 2 player aspect, so you might both enjoy that one a whole lot more if you played it together... I really enjoyed Cat Quest II, it isn't a whole lot different to Cat Quest I, but it didn't need to be. I'm well up for a Cat Quest III as well, that series is so much better than it has any right to be ?

Yes, it's one I will try to get too when I can. Firstly I need to platinum RE2R for 250. Sadly I had to go backwards to a previous save in order to go forwards in the game. Needed more health and a better weapon but I've progressed past the boss I was stuck on now so doing that was totally worth it and hopefully the Leon B Standard run under 3 hours will be done very soon. Leaving a Claire B Standard run under 3 hours and then both Leon and Claire's Hardcore runs. 

Nice! You're almost there then.... I've got all that to look forward to when I get to playing it. I'm probably in the minority of people that rather enjoy speedrun trophies though. Good luck with what you've got left, you've got this!

I was planning to start Resident Evil 4 soon actually, been putting that one off for what seems like forever, and I haven't played it in a long old time either, so that'll be nice to dive in with that one!

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I remember you mentioned my name in this thread, but I didn't have time to really post because on that day I had to go to work. I've been really bad about checking up on other peoples threads, see what they're doing, but you put a lot of effort into this thread. I just want to say thanks.

I did! That was a big thank you post to everyone that has left a comment over the past year, I'm a little worried I left 1 or 2 people out without meaning to, but I tried to get everyone. You were one of the first ones to pop in and leave a comment.

Thanks for dropping by and saying that though, I do appreciate it.

I've been pretty bad at keeping up with other peoples threads too the last month or so. I'm trying to get back on top of that, hopefully some amazing game doesn't steal my attention away for a good while again. That's when I tend to go radio silent the most in here unfortunately.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting the Nier review.  Those games and the Yakuza series have always intrigued me.  They just seem like the epitome of Japanese developer’s sense of weirdness and decadence.  I remember when Nier: Automata came out and I was…puzzled…by the main character’s chose of garb.  I can only imagine the eyebrow raises I’d get if I booted one of those up on the couch.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Thanks for posting the Nier review.  Those games and the Yakuza series have always intrigued me.  They just seem like the epitome of Japanese developer’s sense of weirdness and decadence.  I remember when Nier: Automata came out and I was…puzzled…by the main character’s chose of garb.  I can only imagine the eyebrow raises I’d get if I booted one of those up on the couch.

Thanks man!

You'd get eyebrows raised so high they'd probably be on the very top of your partners head if you fired up NieR: Replicant on your couch, ? considering one of the party characters, Kaine, is basically running around with Two Swords, a nightie and a pair of heels. xD.....

The NieR/Drakengard, series definitely has you covered on the weirdness AND decadence front. Good spot. Yakuza too to some extent, although they usually keep the weirdness to the side content, but every now and then it creeps into the main game COUGH Yakuza 4 COUGH ?

If you ever get the desire to play either Yakuza or the NieR games I'd totally, TOTALLY recommend them, just play it in the middle of the night or something so you don't have to worry about any potentially judgmental looks haha ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

3 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

If you ever get the desire to play either Yakuza or the NieR games I'd totally, TOTALLY recommend them, just play it in the middle of the night or something so you don't have to worry about any potentially judgmental looks haha 1f602.png

I remember doing the party line (and let's not forget those videos you have to watch) in Yakuza 0 and peekin over my shoulder to make sure my wife wasn't around? felt like I was a kid watching sex scenes on premium channels in the middle of the night all over again!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I remember doing the party line (and let's not forget those videos you have to watch) in Yakuza 0 and peekin over my shoulder to make sure my wife wasn't around? felt like I was a kid watching sex scenes on premium channels in the middle of the night all over again!

There are an obscene amount of examples I can think of in the Yakuza series alone that I'd be absolutely petrified that someone might walk into the room whilst you're at a particularly odd section.

The series is absolutely full of them, which is always hilarious. Yakuza 0 has got plenty of them though.... The two Mr Libido's of the two cities (what a name!) those videos, and that's just in that game. It's definitely unique that's for sure. You never quite know what weird thing you'll encounter next and I kinda love that! 

• Like 2

Good shit!  Sounds like it was just good, mindless fun.  Is the new Lego Star Wars game on your radar?

That’s funny you are thinking of starting Bastion, I think I snooped your profile the other day and noticed a conspicuous lack of that game.  Is Hades lurking in your backlog, too?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Good shit!  Sounds like it was just good, mindless fun.  Is the new Lego Star Wars game on your radar?

That’s funny you are thinking of starting Bastion, I think I snooped your profile the other day and noticed a conspicuous lack of that game.  Is Hades lurking in your backlog, too?

Exactly, right!....... LEGO DC Super-Villains, Just good mindless fun.... Should have been on the box art really, because it totally is that! You're not wrong. Plus it meant I could write a nice and simple review, it was only all the DLC that made that take a little longer. 

Yes! Yes! Absolutely, the new Lego Star wars is on my radar, and I hope it's on yours too!  it is another one that I'm kind of saving for when I have a PS5 so I guess I'll get to it then. I'm probably one of the few people who is happy about the fact it looks like its REALLY long!

Bastion does look like something you'd think I'd have played doesn't it xD... It's a big ol' gap that needs filling. I have all of the games by Supergiant on my backlog..... The minute I finished Transistor I was an instant convert, so I'm really looking forward to diving into all the other ones ?... I think I'm going to have a really good time with those.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

On 5/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, rjkclarke said:

Depends how iconic the voice is I suppose. There are some voices where it'd be incredibly noticeable.... It'd be like someone trying to do John Hurts voice for example, that guy had such a distinctive and interesting voice, but sounding even close to that would be hard for any impersonator, it's such a specific graveliness 1f602.png

I'm definitely thinking about writing that Snooker game guide, I was planning to play a bit of Snooker 19 again soon, so if I can manage to recorda 147 whilst I'm playing it then that'd be a handy thing on standby for a guide.

Like the Snooker as a sports example. Watched a little bit of it on Eurosport, and it wasn't the same as hearing the voices I was used to on BBC. Yes you are absolutely right.

Hey, gives you an excuse to go back and play that Snooker 19 game again! (Not that you need one!)

Oh yeah I always forget she wrote some of the Uncharteds too. 1f602.png.... I'm not kidding either, I just always think of Amy Hennig as one of the awesome writers behind Legacy of Kain.... So if she wrote Tomb Raider I guess I can expect Lara to become really annoying, talk every 5 seconds and then make all sorts of stupid noises during platforming sections? To be fair those are more of my problems with the Uncharted games she didn't write, so I'm being well unfair with that one!

Whatever happens, my fingers are crossed that they make better use of those IP's than Square Enix has, because they're such a wildly inconsistent and frustrating company these days, to be sitting on all of those gold mines and not doing anything with them.

lol my mind instantly goes to Uncharted when thinking of Amy Hennig so there you go haha. It's like that for a lot of people with various different famous people - it depends what you know them from first and what was most memorable to you! As a random example, Richard Dean Anderson will always be most known to my wife as MacGvyer, whereas for me he is Jack O'Neil from Stargate SG-1.

Hey, stop badmouthing Uncharted! lol nah you are entitled to your opinion obviously lol DRRRRAAAAAKKKKEEEEE!!! NOOOOO!!!!! 

100% agree there. Square Enix obviously are one of my favourite companies due to Final Fantasy of course, but at the moment they are all over the place. Releasing as many hits as misses. 

I didn't even know they were still selling iPods. The city where I live luckily has a specialised store just for repairing old iPods. Not an official Apple one obviously. I could probably do with a new phone yeah, but then I'm don't really use my phone all that much outside of being a phone anyway, so I guess I'll just wait until it truly dies before getting another one. It does get really hot during phone calls now so it must be on its last legs now

I've never seen a place like that. That is lucky. 

If any piece of technology is getting hot just from using it's basic functions, then it's definitely on it's last legs. Unless it was designed to be hot of course.

It is very true to the Spencer Mansion, but not in a let's rip this off kind of way, it's very much a loving homage. Also in true Resident Evil fashion, it also has an underground lab inside of it, so they went the extra mile with that xD

That'd certainly be an interesting idea, but then I worry that those games from Square Enix might sell just as well as some of their modern output, so they might be reluctant to do it. It's a toughie.

I like the idea of both, although I'm a bit hesitant to say I'd want a Resident Evil with Tank Controls these days. If it's tweaked controls like the PS4 version of the Resident Evil 1 remake had then I'd be a bit more up for it, but tank controls in 2022, are unfortunately going to turn a lot of people off, but then like you say, there probably is a market for them.

Haha yes! Bonus point for the underground lab right there!

Considering how Square Enix are at the moment, I think it would be worth a shot for them. Play on a bit of nostalgia if nothing else to try and drive sales. Better than their efforts like Avengers and Babylon's Fall. I am Setsuna was like a classic FF in a fair few ways and really enjoyed that one. Think it did pretty well sales wise too. 

Of course yes the controls from the RE1 Remake would be better suited to try and act as a middle ground between the original tank controls and what people expect controls to be nowadays.

That is fair.

Are you going to play that one together? Cat Quest II has got a pretty big focus on the 2 player aspect, so you might both enjoy that one a whole lot more if you played it together... I really enjoyed Cat Quest II, it isn't a whole lot different to Cat Quest I, but it didn't need to be. I'm well up for a Cat Quest III as well, that series is so much better than it has any right to be 1f602.png

I'm not sure. I would love to, but my wife isn't as much of a gamer as I am but it depends if she fancies doing that. We have played some games together like A Way Out, Trine, Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 etc but they can take a while to go through. Also helps if both players get the trophies at the same time which I don't know if Cat Quest II does.

Haha that is very true! My wife loves cats so that helps lol

Nice! You're almost there then.... I've got all that to look forward to when I get to playing it. I'm probably in the minority of people that rather enjoy speedrun trophies though. Good luck with what you've got left, you've got this!

I was planning to start Resident Evil 4 soon actually, been putting that one off for what seems like forever, and I haven't played it in a long old time either, so that'll be nice to dive in with that one!

Yeah it is just getting the opportunities to play it, so in the mean time I am playing other smaller games I'm able to and setting them up for platinums. My completion percentage is shooting up as a result lol

RE4 is a great game. Not my favourite RE but definitely great. There is a super quality gameplay guide on the site done by @suicideyan if you wanted to check that out. The level of detail in it is unreal!

• Like 1

On 06/05/2022 at 0:30 PM, The_Kopite said:

Like the Snooker as a sports example. Watched a little bit of it on Eurosport, and it wasn't the same as hearing the voices I was used to on BBC. Yes you are absolutely right.

Hey, gives you an excuse to go back and play that Snooker 19 game again! (Not that you need one!)

They do have some really good commentators on Eurosport to be fair, although I agree, you probably wouldn't be familiar with a lot of those voices the first time. I always default to the BBC for the World Championships, they seem to knock it out of the park with the commentary, presenting and punditry team almost every year.

I'm thinking of writing the review for WSC Real 11 later, so I wouldn't be too surprised if I stick that up later. it's an interesting Snooker game that one, in that it still does quite a few things better than Snooker 19 does (even though Snooker 19 is still a bloody excellent game).

lol my mind instantly goes to Uncharted when thinking of Amy Hennig so there you go haha. It's like that for a lot of people with various different famous people - it depends what you know them from first and what was most memorable to you! As a random example, Richard Dean Anderson will always be most known to my wife as MacGvyer, whereas for me he is Jack O'Neil from Stargate SG-1.

Hey, stop badmouthing Uncharted! lol nah you are entitled to your opinion obviously lol DRRRRAAAAAKKKKEEEEE!!! NOOOOO!!!!! 

And I've seen neither of those things - so I instantly think of MacGyver as the guy that Patty and Selma are obsessed with in The Simpsons ?

Despite what it might sound like I do actually like the Uncharted series, I just don't particularly like Drake as a lead character all that much.  I like the games themselves a whole lot. Even if the whole "cinematic" comparison might not be one that I particularly agree with. xD

Considering how Square Enix are at the moment, I think it would be worth a shot for them. Play on a bit of nostalgia if nothing else to try and drive sales. Better than their efforts like Avengers and Babylon's Fall. I am Setsuna was like a classic FF in a fair few ways and really enjoyed that one. Think it did pretty well sales wise too.

I think pretty much Square Enix exclusively lives off of nostalgia now, which is a little bit of a shame. They've just sold off some off some of the best IP's they had at their disposal.

I'm definitely generalising here, but really these days unless it's Kingdom Hearts related or Final Fantasy/Final Fantasy VII related, things they definitely know sell, they tend to not be pushing the boundaries quite as much as they used to. I get it, they are a business, but I don't have to like it.

I'm not sure. I would love to, but my wife isn't as much of a gamer as I am but it depends if she fancies doing that. We have played some games together like A Way Out, Trine, Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 etc but they can take a while to go through. Also helps if both players get the trophies at the same time which I don't know if Cat Quest II does.

Haha that is very true! My wife loves cats so that helps lol

I just did a little snooping to find out, and it seems like you can both get the trophies, so if that will sweeten it for both of you it might be worth a go. I had good fun with the game in single player, but I imagine it'd be much more fun to play co-op too.

If she's a cat lover then she'll probably have even more reason to enjoy the game haha, this one has CATS AND DOGS, so it kind of has something for Cat and Dog lovers this time around.

Yeah it is just getting the opportunities to play it, so in the mean time I am playing other smaller games I'm able to and setting them up for platinums. My completion percentage is shooting up as a result lol

RE4 is a great game. Not my favourite RE but definitely great. There is a super quality gameplay guide on the site done by @suicideyan if you wanted to check that out. The level of detail in it is unreal!

You're only 8% off of your 66% goal now, so hey I mean getting stuck on Resident Evil 2 has paid off in a slightly odd kind of way! Then once you've conquered RE2, you can have your own little platinum rain day, if you're into that kind of thing.

Resident Evil 4 is a great game, and it's one I haven't played for quite a long time, so getting to nab a few trophies from it will be a nice little bonus, whilst replaying something I haven't played for a while, I can't complain on that one.

I'll have a look at that guide at some point, I'm pretty familiar with the game, but a thorough refresher never hurt anyone so thanks for the heads up!

On 5/8/2022 at 8:51 PM, rjkclarke said:

They do have some really good commentators on Eurosport to be fair, although I agree, you probably wouldn't be familiar with a lot of those voices the first time. I always default to the BBC for the World Championships, they seem to knock it out of the park with the commentary, presenting and punditry team almost every year.

I'm thinking of writing the review for WSC Real 11 later, so I wouldn't be too surprised if I stick that up later. it's an interesting Snooker game that one, in that it still does quite a few things better than Snooker 19 does (even though Snooker 19 is still a bloody excellent game).

Yeah I wasn't saying that they weren't good commentators, just that they weren't what I was used to for many years of course. The Snooker World Championship is like Wimbledon for the BBC, a major sporting event that they have every year so they need to put their all into everything about it. 

WSC Real 11. I can't remember if that's the one I played on PS3 or not. Looks like I might have started you off on the guide writing path haha. Enjoy!

And I've seen neither of those things - so I instantly think of MacGyver as the guy that Patty and Selma are obsessed with in The Simpsons 1f602.png

Despite what it might sound like I do actually like the Uncharted series, I just don't particularly like Drake as a lead character all that much.  I like the games themselves a whole lot. Even if the whole "cinematic" comparison might not be one that I particularly agree with. xD

Haha! Well yeah that would be your reference point if you haven't seen either! lol 

Hey that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I like Drake personally as a character. I've never thought that you didn't like the Uncharted series though. Would love a new one on PS5. Think Naughty Dog could do a lot with it.

I think pretty much Square Enix exclusively lives off of nostalgia now, which is a little bit of a shame. They've just sold off some off some of the best IP's they had at their disposal.

I'm definitely generalising here, but really these days unless it's Kingdom Hearts related or Final Fantasy/Final Fantasy VII related, things they definitely know sell, they tend to not be pushing the boundaries quite as much as they used to. I get it, they are a business, but I don't have to like it.

Sadly I would have to agree with you. They need to stick to what they know best and get the core group of games down before trying other things again. Then they can start to let other ideas come out properly. They also need to stop having unrealistic sales expectations.

I just did a little snooping to find out, and it seems like you can both get the trophies, so if that will sweeten it for both of you it might be worth a go. I had good fun with the game in single player, but I imagine it'd be much more fun to play co-op too.

If she's a cat lover then she'll probably have even more reason to enjoy the game haha, this one has CATS AND DOGS, so it kind of has something for Cat and Dog lovers this time around.

Ah sweet! Yeah that would certainly sweeten the deal, so I'll let her know and we can try it out on the PS5 when she eventually completes the first game. Yeah she does love cats definitely. Hence the intrigue and interest in the first game lol

You're only 8% off of your 66% goal now, so hey I mean getting stuck on Resident Evil 2 has paid off in a slightly odd kind of way! Then once you've conquered RE2, you can have your own little platinum rain day, if you're into that kind of thing.

Resident Evil 4 is a great game, and it's one I haven't played for quite a long time, so getting to nab a few trophies from it will be a nice little bonus, whilst replaying something I haven't played for a while, I can't complain on that one.

I'll have a look at that guide at some point, I'm pretty familiar with the game, but a thorough refresher never hurt anyone so thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I know! Shows you how big the backlog is and how many games were on 1-5%, hence me now setting up as many games as I can for platinums whilst I slowly trudge through RE2R. A platinum rain day you say? Well might end up being a week lol will be nice to see the backlog getting trimmed down significantly. I am certainly resolute in my wish to never have this many games ever again. Just don't have the time. So many big games that I have that I haven't even started properly yet it's unreal. 

Yeah, bet it'll be fun for you! Enjoy!

EDIT - Just looked and it was WSC Real 11. Got a measly 19% lol Definitely enjoyed it though.

Edited by The_Kopite
Updated information
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Yeah I wasn't saying that they weren't good commentators, just that they weren't what I was used to for many years of course. The Snooker World Championship is like Wimbledon for the BBC, a major sporting event that they have every year so they need to put their all into everything about it. 

WSC Real 11. I can't remember if that's the one I played on PS3 or not. Looks like I might have started you off on the guide writing path haha. Enjoy!

I know haha - I was kind of like "who are these guys" when I first heard the Eurosport team too, it wasn't a knock. The BBC are even trying to make a little bit of a big deal out of the World Seniors Championship too, but unfortunately mostly that's about as interesting as watching paint dry in slow motion, aside from the odd match or two.

Yeah, judging by what you wrote further on, that is the one you've played on PS3. Hey I mean you could always go back for a little cleanup with it if you wanted, and still have it.  I think a playthrough of the career mode would probably get you above or very close to that 50% threshold of trophies I know you like to push for sometimes.

7 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Hey that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I like Drake personally as a character. I've never thought that you didn't like the Uncharted series though. Would love a new one on PS5. Think Naughty Dog could do a lot with it.

Oh I'm definitely in the minority with my "Drake problem" haha. I do like that Uncharted 4 directly addresses some of the issues that bother me about the character so that was a nice little surprise that they actually acknowledge how much of a fanny he can be when he has an awesome person like Elena in his corner.

I always feel like I have to say...... "but I do like the Uncharted series" some folks deal in absolutes, and might think if I said that I'm not huge on Drake that I don't like the series itself.

Ah sweet! Yeah that would certainly sweeten the deal, so I'll let her know and we can try it out on the PS5 when she eventually completes the first game. Yeah she does love cats definitely. Hence the intrigue and interest in the first game lol

Definitely! There's a whole lot of fun to be had there.

If you haven't played it, she might also like Catlatteral Damage, I haven't played it myself yet, but I remember reading about it in Copanele's thread, and thought it looked pretty interesting. So that might be another one to suggest for her if she's a big cat lover haha! 

Plus @Slava posted this funny as hell gif, or one very similar .......

vdLE8dJ.gif

......around the same time that seemed to sum up the game pretty damn accurately ?

Yeah I know! Shows you how big the backlog is and how many games were on 1-5%, hence me now setting up as many games as I can for platinums whilst I slowly trudge through RE2R. A platinum rain day you say? Well might end up being a week lol will be nice to see the backlog getting trimmed down significantly. I am certainly resolute in my wish to never have this many games ever again. Just don't have the time. So many big games that I have that I haven't even started properly yet it's unreal. 

Yeah, bet it'll be fun for you! Enjoy!

Yeah I guess that does show the size of your backlog in a way..... but look at it like this, it'll go up even higher once you pop all of those platinum's. Sounds like you're almost at the point where you could start throwing on those bigger games that you seemed to be looking forward to. I guess that'll be a weight off, to start playing those.

I couldn't think of anything I'd like to do less than a platinum rain day/week. It'd be like giving myself a mountainous backlog of reviews all at once. That's very much a me specific problem though xD and one that I definitely don't want.

I will enjoy Resident Evil 4, thank you! It's something I know where I'm at with, so it'll be nice to go in knowing that I'll probably enjoy myself. If I finish Bastion tonight, I might even start RE4 later on.

• Like 3

That is heavy indeed. I'm so sorry to hear that bro, I hope you're holding up okay.

And that's always good advice. There's no feeling quite like just wanting to hug a person, or tell them that you love them, but not being able to. Can't take it for granted when you can!

I think you need to allow yourself whatever you think will help in the grieving process, it's one of those times where it's 100% okay to put yourself first!

So um... ah yes, video games!

Great review, and a great nudge towards not just finally getting into Bastion, but getting my ass in gear and handling Transistor! I'm going to hear you and Doc urging me to play Bastion til I finally start it up?

• Like 2