DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to roll up my sleeves and get to some city planning..

Thank you, that was most helpful! I now have the encouragement needed to pursue that sweet, sweet S. In case it wasn't already apparent, i am very much enjoying the fruits of your scientific labors and will continue to be a faithful reader.

Also, it was very considerate of you to give a glowing analysis of Hotline Miami while it's on sale for a stupidly cheap price. COINCIDENCE??!! I think not. Methinks science prevails yet again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to roll up my sleeves and get to some city planning..

Thank you, that was most helpful! I now have the encouragement needed to pursue that sweet, sweet S. In case it wasn't already apparent, i am very much enjoying the fruits of your scientific labors and will continue to be a faithful reader.

Also, it was very considerate of you to give a glowing analysis of Hotline Miami while it's on sale for a stupidly cheap price. COINCIDENCE??!! I think not. Methinks science prevails yet again.

Haha, I didn't even realise it was on sale, but even at full RRP, that game would be cheap at twice the price!

A hell of a game ???

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

newtestsubjects.jpg

⚛️!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!⚛️

The next 10 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Arcade Archives: A-Jax
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Dark Arcana: The Carnival
Dead Nation
Dishonored
Late Shift
Pic-a-Pix Classic
SOMA 
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
Void Bastards 

Subjects in RED marked for ❎PRIORITY ASSIGNEMENT

[Care of @GraniteSnake , @The_Kopite & @elpoko ]

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Dark Souls, fend off yet another round of challengers?

Is newly crowned 'Least Awesome GameWatchmen: The End is Nigh going to have any competition for its questionable title?

Let's find out!

• Like 1

It's the only Sonic game on your list to review, but I had a lot of fun with Sonic and SEGA all star racing, and hopeing it'll be reasonably high up. Certainly a good addition to the kart racing scene in general. Also ?at the prospect of FFVIIR getting into the top 10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

It's the only Sonic game on your list to review, but I had a lot of fun with Sonic and SEGA all star racing, and hopeing it'll be reasonably high up. Certainly a good addition to the kart racing scene in general. Also ?at the prospect of FFVIIR getting into the top 10.

You know, I actually realised after the fact, it's not actually the only Sonic game I have - The Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection has at least a couple of Sonic games in it!

I had totally forgotten about that, but I guess it wouldn't really be in the spirit of the request, since it has to be considered along with like 30 other games ?

...actually, now that I think about it... how the hell am I gonna approach ranking that one?:jaymon::blink: ?

reckon it will have to wait until I figure out what to do with it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Okay mate, listen...

I don't like ruining the fun, and so this will be the only post in which I do this...

I can't believe I actually have to spell this out to you...as it is so plainly, clearly and obviously apparent from the very beginning on my thread - and has been completely understood by everyone else, including people from all over the world whose first language is not even English -

Reveal hidden contents

THIS BEING 'SCIENCE' IS A JOKE.

It is tongue in cheek!

Of course these are opinions!

Jesus Christ - a fucking child could understand that.

I mean seriously, get a grip on yourself - did you actually even read the intro to my little project here?

Did you actually think I, or any of the people following along are under the impression that i am conducting real 'science' here or am under any obligation to be 'objective' - whatever that could even be, where criticism of entertainment is concerned?

These are my opinions, obviously - I am ranking MY GAMES, on MY PROFILE, and doing it on MY CHECKLIST.

I am having some fun ranking my games, and some other people are following along.

I'm happy to engage in spirited debate about my analyses, and I love passionate debate about games - but to complain about the whole endeavour conceptually, just because you are the one person in the entire site who didn't get the joke, and then to fill up massive posts like yours whinging about it,  to the extent that I have to drop the fun of it for a moment, take you by your angry little hand and explain that to you, is so sad to me.

You are only embarrassing yourself.

So now you're deflecting the counterpoints, and projecting your actual anger. Calm down. Walls of text =/= doesn't correlate with how angry I am or could be. It's purely a person problem why I type so much. So, what you say is so obvious isn't all too obvious, considering some context outside this topic, like here. Now I'm not going to sit here and reference all of your (many) posts like this, even ones much worse, but there's clearly more about you/to you than what's lead to be believed. You're a highly opinionated person and often pretentious - not all the time but often - around the forum from what I've seen. You constantly do a lot of grandstanding too, far too much of that. Your status titles also adds to the story.

Jokes are understood differently online, you should have communicated it better on this topic. Other people getting it, especially friends of yours, doesn't automatically mean you communicated it well, let alone as well as you think. Don't get mad at me and make these ridiculous unsupported claims just because I have the balls to say how I feel of the topic/its presentation. Most people actually choose to ignore this kind of thing than give their thoughts purely to avoid any heat. Perhaps if a more chill person made this topic, I've have perceived this as you said it is. But with you, there's usually some underlying condescension and pretentious in your opinions of games/people (especially John Garvin).

You take your opinions on games seriously, so I then accordingly take your opinions on games you rate seriously. You've blown things out of proportion. Chill.

On 4/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

L51930e.png

The Order: 1886

Summary: 

A gorgeous game on a technical, graphical level, though a little hampered by a slightly bland take on 'steampunk-lite', the game hold up to a single playthrough of it's extremely short campaign, but even clocking in at a meagre few hours, it still doesn't really leave you wanting much more.

Decent gun combat, when you manage to find some (there isn't much), but pretty poor in terms of the overall offering, and very light on actual gameplay particularly for a game lacking meaningful story or interesting characters.

L172c11.png

Until Dawn

Summary:

Supermassive did a great job capturing the inherent ridiculousness and fun of Teen Horror-lite romps, and the cast do a lot to help sell this a an A-Game of a B-Movie, rather than the other way around!

Quite a lot of variety to the branching story paths, some fun, gory kills, a cast of satisfyingly douchy characters, and a silly and fun plot overall.

Extra awesome-points for the line "YOU JUST GOT MONKED!" 1f602.png

These are some good ones. I thought I saw Limbo too at some point. I suppose not. The Order 1886 I just can't really defend, unlike say Vampyr and Days Gone, similar-ish type games in their own way. However, Until Dawn; some people still aren't aware that this game is considered a success and turned out to be a sleeper hit. It's not a very wordy description by any means, but it at least gets the point across.

Edited by EcoShifter

You know, I actually realised after the fact, it's not actually the only Sonic game I have - The Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection has at least a couple of Sonic games in it!

I had totally forgotten about that, but I guess it wouldn't really be in the spirit of the request, since it has to be considered along with like 30 other games 1f606.png

...actually, now that I think about it... how the hell am I gonna approach ranking that one?:jaymon::blink: 1f602.png

reckon it will have to wait until I figure out what to do with it 1f602.png

Being someone who was and is a SEGA fan and therefore had the Megadrive then Saturn, suffice to say I'll be keeping a close eye on that one, as there are so many classics on there that deserve to at least get it a reasonable place on the list. Your scientific formula will really be put to the test! haha

newtestsubjects.jpg

269b.png!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!269b.png

The next 10 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Arcade Archives: A-Jax
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Dark Arcana: The Carnival
Dead Nation
Dishonored
Late Shift
Pic-a-Pix Classic
SOMA 
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
Void Bastards 

Subjects in RED marked for 274e.pngPRIORITY ASSIGNEMENT274e.png

[Care of @GraniteSnake , @The_Kopite & @elpoko ]

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Dark Souls, fend off yet another round of challengers?

Is newly crowned 'Least Awesome GameWatchmen: The End is Nigh going to have any competition for its questionable title?

Let's find out!

Ah Dead Nation, love to hear your thoughts on that as its a special game for me personally. Dishonored too, as I know you are a pretty vocal fan of Prey so I'm expecting a high ranking there. Speaking of Prey....priority assignment please. Surely it could knock Dark Souls of its perch and stick around... maybe til the list is complete?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Being someone who was and is a SEGA fan and therefore had the Megadrive then Saturn, suffice to say I'll be keeping a close eye on that one, as there are so many classics on there that deserve to at least get it a reasonable place on the list. Your scientific formula will really be put to the test! haha

Yeah... it’s gonna be a weird one - averaging scores doesn’t feel right, since a couple of amazing games makes the whole thing worthwhile, even if you never touch all the others...

I really need to try and figure out a plan for that - I suspect whatever my review and ranking turns out to be, it will have a bunch of footnotes, asterisks and caveats ?

8 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

Ah Dead Nation, love to hear your thoughts on that as its a special game for me personally. Dishonored too, as I know you are a pretty vocal fan of Prey so I'm expecting a high ranking there. Speaking of Prey....priority assignment please. Surely it could knock Dark Souls of its perch and stick around... maybe til the list is complete?

haha, yeah, I guess if there's any game on the list that I have already pretty much given the game away on it's Prey, right? ?

It's already on the priority list actually - @FilmFanatic beat you to it!

That's the primary reason Dishonoured is on there now - I feel like I need to do a Dishonoured first, just to have some context for Prey, but suffice to say, I have already been doing some serious work in my mind to try and gauge who wins in the very possible event of a Dark Souls / Prey stand-off...:hmm::hmm:

Sophie's choice had nothing on that one

?

As far as staying on the top of the list indefinitely though - one thing I'm learning in doing this is that the science does actually surprise me from time to time - it's one thing waxing lyrical about how great a game is or declaring it one of the best of all time, but it's only when I come to actually compare games 1-to-1 that the cards really get put on the table, and I have to wrestle with which is truly greater.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

2 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

I'll save you the trouble... its Prey ?

Haha, the real trouble is going to come when

Spoiler

Dark Souls II places... because I'm one of those much maligned and vilified folks who thinks it's the best of the trilogy...

Based on prevailing opinion, I expect to catch hell for that (if the science agrees, of course ?)  ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Reveal hidden contents

Dark Souls II places... because I'm one of those much maligned and vilified folks who thinks it's the best of the trilogy...

Based on prevailing opinion, I expect to catch hell for that (if the science agrees, of course 1f609.png)  1f602.png

boooooo I can't seem to open any spoiler tags for some reason. I can't read your half of the fight you are having either ?

1 minute ago, Cleggworth said:

boooooo I can't seem to open any spoiler tags for some reason. I can't read your half of the fight you are having either 1f62d.png

it's not just you - I can't open them either!

Think it's the site software causing some issue just now.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hide contents

Based on prevailing opinion, I expect to catch hell for that (if the science agrees, of course ?)  ?

I’ll be interested to see you what you say about Dark Souls 2. The Souls series is my all time favourite series and Dark Souls (best of the Souls games) is my 4th favourite game of all time. Dark Souls 2 is my least favourite Souls game however that’s not really saying much as I absolutely love the game, I took a week off work to play the SotFS version and I’ve spent around 350 hours playing it (more than any other game in the series) across the PS3/4 version.

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

it's not just you - I can't open them either!

Think it's the site software causing some issue just now.

Spoiler tags have been broken for a long time now. Most of the time they work but occasionally some don’t and clicking on it a second time takes me back to the top of the page. A post on the previous page where you were only going to explain something only once doesn’t work for me which is annoying because I really wanna know what you said lol.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Reveal hidden contents

And you call yourself a scientist?? You added some extra Sins there!

vaccine-hoax-dr-bernard-header.jpg

(I so wait for that hellish day ?)

Also in agreement with @FilmFanatic here on one point: DS1 is my favorite, but I played DS2 THE MOST out of all of them! HOW? WHY? NOBODY KNOWS!

Maybe Science(and dumb builds) will explain that!

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Also in agreement with @FilmFanatic here on one point: DS1 is my favorite, but I played DS2 THE MOST out of all of them! HOW? WHY? NOBODY KNOWS!

Maybe Science(and dumb builds) will explain that!

Maybe...

...or maybe...

...beacuse it's the secret best one... :awesome::awesome:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah... it’s gonna be a weird one - averaging scores doesn’t feel right, since a couple of amazing games makes the whole thing worthwhile, even if you never touch all the others...

I really need to try and figure out a plan for that - I suspect whatever my review and ranking turns out to be, it will have a bunch of footnotes, asterisks and caveats 1f602.png

I expect a bunch of each lol

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Maybe...

...or maybe...

...beacuse it's the secret best one... :awesome::awesome:

That's exactly what someone with a high ADP stat would tell. Sneaky, got me there. 

Well, although it's pretty obvious and you definitely planned this, my request is to review ds2 last, after ds3 and demon souls of course. 

• Like 1

Just now, Copanele said:

That's exactly what someone with a high ADP stat would tell. Sneaky, got me there. 

Well, although it's pretty obvious and you definitely planned this, my request is to review ds2 last, after ds3 and demon souls of course. 

It shall be done, my friend!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

L21ab90.png

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing

Summary: 

Guys, I want y'all to prepare yourselves, remember that I love you, and hear me out before you begin yelling. 
We good?
Everyone sitting down?
Everyone taken a steadying breath?
Okay... here goes...

I like Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing more than Mario Kart.

There. 
I said it.
I'm 100% aware of how minority that opinion is based on virtually everyone I've ever uttered it aloud to twisting their face into a fleshy pretzel of distain, or grimacing like they just watched me kick their dog...

Mario has the more iconic characters. It also did it first. Plus, I was a SNES kid! I liked the Megadrive (Genesis, for our colonial brothers) just fine -  my best friend had one growing up, so I played both in abundance, but in the Great Playground Console Wars of the '90s, I fought valiantly for team Nintendo all the way. 
Push come to shove, I would still pick most Nintendo franchises over SEGA ones. 

All that being said though, in terms of fun factor, party gaming with friends, 2-player with the good lady Ms. Bloodmoney, and even in single player, pound-for-pound, I cannot deny that I have had more fun with this game than any individual Mario Kart

Luckily, this list being PSNProfiles based, I won't ever actually need to prove that in list form, (and provoke the ire it probably would!) You'd be forgiven for asking "Well, Dr, why are you spending time discussing a Mario Kart at all?" but in approaching Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing, one absolutely has to.

This game has cribbed virtually its entire design doc directly from Mario Kart - not until Playstation All Stars Battle Royale came along would a game more shamelessly copy another - but, the point I'm making with the comparison is, I think here, they did it exceptionally well. 

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing feels better in motion than any of the Mario Kart's I've played - and Mario Kart is ace.
Drifting feels more natural. The sense of speed is more... well... speedy. The weapons are obviously different aesthetically, though mostly the same in principle, but the addition of character specific power-ups means there is a reason beyond personal preference to select one character over the other - something I never found to have been meaningfuly the case in Mario Kart.
The tracks are colourful, interesting, distinct and do a grand job of hitting the aesthetics of the games they are based on - (and include a breadth and variety of games to reference that Mario Kart never had to deal with) - and most are very fun to drive. There is also a significant chunk of non-race or race-adjacent missions to complete, which are for the most part, a welcome addition, adding a different type of (sometimes very tricky) challenge and variety.

Yes, this game did steal most of what it did, but (like Playstation All Stars Battle Royale) for folks without a Nintendo console, the source of its theft is not available to them anyway, and (unlike Playstation All Stars Battle Royale) it stole it with a level of style and flair, and in implementing the stolen concepts, actually improved a couple of them along the way.

The Ranking:

Not much in the way of Kart Racing on the list (and there won't really be, as I have pretty few on Sony consoles,) but Split/Second is the most obvious comparison. 

While Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is great fun, and wins on the party-game front, Split/Second still has it beat on the visual flair, and its racer-vs-racer attack method is more original, and what it lacks in overall variety it more than makes up for in spectacle.

Lower down, in terms of colourful, accessible fun, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing beats out similarly kid-friendly Mini Ninjas and even fun platformer Jak and Daxter, mostly owing to repeatability, longevity and multiplayer, but doesn't quite pip Quantic Dream's high-point in Detroit: Become Human.

Liking it more than Mario Kart gets a thumbs up from me ? lol definitely in the minority like me though (I like Mario Kart as well of course, who doesn't?)

• Like 1

Nice write up on SOMA, I agree 100%. Seeing the ending coming a mile off is what makes it so good. The first time it comes up, with the suit, its kinda horrifying but then you know exactly what is going to happen and then my reaction was the same as Catherine's tbh!

Dead Nation, again our thoughts are pretty identical. The game isn't original in the slightest, wow a fat zombie that explodes when it gets close!, but it is done so, so well. The co-op factor is what propels it up my own personal ranking though. This was the first game I played co-op with my wife and she loves it too. That damned DLC trophy, survive til round 10 was my bogey trophy for bloody years. I'd try again occasionally and one day I just did it, popping the plat on the PS4 version before knocking it out on the other versions the next day. Alienation had that same satisfying twin stick action but never quite hit that same high for me.

Dishonored you said it all, fabulous series. I love Fallout and the Elder Scrolls but it'll be Arkanes output I'll miss the most with Microsofts dastardly take over ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

Nice write up on SOMA, I agree 100%. Seeing the ending coming a mile off is what makes it so good. The first time it comes up, with the suit, its kinda horrifying but then you know exactly what is going to happen and then my reaction was the same as Catherine's tbh!

Oh yeah, see it coming or not, it still works a treat.

It's funny, I actually had an inkling of what the plot was going to shape up to be almost immediately - right after the chair and 'waking up' (perils of having read too much Philip K Dick and watched too many Twilight Zone episodes I guess) ? - but it was done with such style, (and scares) that it didn't matter!

Dead Nation, again our thoughts are pretty identical. The game isn't original in the slightest, wow a fat zombie that explodes when it gets close!, but it is done so, so well. The co-op factor is what propels it up my own personal ranking though. This was the first game I played co-op with my wife and she loves it too. That damned DLC trophy, survive til round 10 was my bogey trophy for bloody years. I'd try again occasionally and one day I just did it, popping the plat on the PS4 version before knocking it out on the other versions the next day. Alienation had that same satisfying twin stick action but never quite hit that same high for me.

What is it with the wives and Dead Nation? You wouldn't think that would be the game to keep a marriage fresh, but it just seems to work ?

Dishonored you said it all, fabulous series. I love Fallout and the Elder Scrolls but it'll be Arkanes output I'll miss the most with Microsofts dastardly take over 1f631.png

God, don't remind me. Literally the only part of that announcement I got legit worried about - and remain so. They are basically the only studio left still carrying the Immersive Sim torch with any real fervour... I so hope they don't disappear entirely from Playstation ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1