DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Nah. 

Wouldn't be possible, since there's a good swathe of unobtainable on my account anyways - actual, bonafide unobtainables, plus ones where you have to jump through some ridiculous hoops to do (de-patching or downloading old versions via proxy-do-dads-and-thingumyjigs)....

... and that sounds like a whole mess of crap I'm not interested in!

But even setting that aside...

...even if it was technically possible...

...I don't think it would be fun to either get it there, or to have it there.

I like having it high - the pursuit of high completion is fun - but I like having no issue leaving a game that I can't beat, or that I don't think is fun or worth my time.

I've no great interest in being considered a "good" trophy hunter - I would rather just faff about in my usual hap-hazard way, and see how high I can keep it while walking along the edge of crazy, without actually falling in!

While we're on the topic, is there any chance that you'll analyze any of the games that you can't complete, just with a note alongside them that they can't be 100%ed?

Edited by grayhammmer

59 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Goodbye Volcano High is a tough one, as it's not comparable to too much on the list, since I don't play a lot of Visual Novels, but the obvious initial whittling can come from the Life is Strange franchise, which has all entries already ranked. [...]

Excellent, I'd  been meaning to ask if this will appeal to  me as a LIS fan.  I'll note it down for once I'm done with that series.

Funny how I accidentally ended up with the Sam&Max games in reverse order. Did The Devil's Playhouse, have Beyond Time and Space ready but don't even own Save the World. This should result in an interesting perspective on the series' evolution, though from what I read here,  I'll probably rank BTaS behind TDP,  but rank StW higher. We'll see.

• Like 3

Alright, I've now got Goodbye Volcano High on my list of games to eventually get! I figured it was unlikely that it would be a 'must play' game for me, but I was also hoping that it was a relatively solid game - which your review has confirmed. I also had no idea that it incorporated a rhythm element, which is really neat! While it's a bummer to hear that there isn't a ton of deviation in plot for subsequent playthroughs, I've come to anticipate that for smaller-budget games at this point, and it just means that I should probably try to pace out my playthroughs over the course of 2-3 weeks instead of back-to-back.

I'm only part-way through the Alan Wake Remaster, but I am so hyped for when I get my hands on Alan Wake II - as I've heard that it is a true gaming experience with some of its set pieces or how it integrates narrative with gameplay. That immediately sold me on the game several weeks ago, and I've avoided reading too much more about the game. Thus, after the first few paragraphs of your review confirmed that I'll enjoy this game, I skipped past most of the remainder.

I did manage to catch a reference to Ms. Bloodmoney, so I read about how she enjoyed it so much as a 'backseat gamer' that she even wanted to be present for the busy work, which is truly incredible! Alas, if only my computer-gaming husband was willing to experience a Horror Survival game with me... 😂 I saw the italicized Twin Peaks and Twilight Zone, and I cannot express how excited I am to hear that this game leans even further into those elements (which was another instant-sell for me upon glancing at initial coverage of the game). I was also surprised to see that apparently Control's lore is integrated to some or great extent in this game - I keep forgetting that Remedy had put little references to Alan Wake inside of that game. 

Question for you: I have Control in my backlog, and it's probably going to be some time before I have the money to acquire Alan Wake II. Then again, Christmas is around the corner and there's always a small chance I get Alan Wake II as a gift, which would make me want to jump straight into it. I didn't read much of what you wrote in regards to Control - I'm sure you would have only detailed its connections in a vague way, but Alan Wake II seems to be a game where some of the joy comes from "aha!" moments when things come together. (And if I'm wrong, then it just means I was overly cautious in how much I've avoided reading about the game, haha!) Anyways, do you think it's important to play Control before Alan Wake II? As in, are the lore implications from Control significant enough to really enhance the story/understanding of Alan Wake II, or are they more neat little easter eggs? Apologies if you've already thoroughly addressed this question!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pelagia14 said:

Alright, I've now got Goodbye Volcano High on my list of games to eventually get! I figured it was unlikely that it would be a 'must play' game for me, but I was also hoping that it was a relatively solid game - which your review has confirmed. I also had no idea that it incorporated a rhythm element, which is really neat! While it's a bummer to hear that there isn't a ton of deviation in plot for subsequent playthroughs, I've come to anticipate that for smaller-budget games at this point, and it just means that I should probably try to pace out my playthroughs over the course of 2-3 weeks instead of back-to-back.

I'm only part-way through the Alan Wake Remaster, but I am so hyped for when I get my hands on Alan Wake II - as I've heard that it is a true gaming experience with some of its set pieces or how it integrates narrative with gameplay. That immediately sold me on the game several weeks ago, and I've avoided reading too much more about the game. Thus, after the first few paragraphs of your review confirmed that I'll enjoy this game, I skipped past most of the remainder.

I did manage to catch a reference to Ms. Bloodmoney, so I read about how she enjoyed it so much as a 'backseat gamer' that she even wanted to be present for the busy work, which is truly incredible! Alas, if only my computer-gaming husband was willing to experience a Horror Survival game with me... 😂 I saw the italicized Twin Peaks and Twilight Zone, and I cannot express how excited I am to hear that this game leans even further into those elements (which was another instant-sell for me upon glancing at initial coverage of the game). I was also surprised to see that apparently Control's lore is integrated to some or great extent in this game - I keep forgetting that Remedy had put little references to Alan Wake inside of that game. 

Question for you: I have Control in my backlog, and it's probably going to be some time before I have the money to acquire Alan Wake II. Then again, Christmas is around the corner and there's always a small chance I get Alan Wake II as a gift, which would make me want to jump straight into it. I didn't read much of what you wrote in regards to Control - I'm sure you would have only detailed its connections in a vague way, but Alan Wake II seems to be a game where some of the joy comes from "aha!" moments when things come together. (And if I'm wrong, then it just means I was overly cautious in how much I've avoided reading about the game, haha!) Anyways, do you think it's important to play Control before Alan Wake II? As in, are the lore implications from Control significant enough to really enhance the story/understanding of Alan Wake II, or are they more neat little easter eggs? Apologies if you've already thoroughly addressed this question!

So, I would say that playing Control before Alan Wake II isn't essential - there are some folks who are swearing up and down that you NEED to play it - and for sure, there is quite a bit of the connective tissue between the original Alan Wake and Alan Wake II that is fleshed out in Control (in the AWE DLC specifically, which may as well be called "AWII - The Prequel"...

... but I'm relatively convinced, (specifically because MsBloodmoney hadn't seen Control previously,) that Alan Wake II can be enjoyed just fine without it.

Having played Control before will enhance Alan Wake II, but it not playing Control won't harm it.

Having said that though - and this is the bigger point - if you are planning on playing Control at some point, I do think that playing Alan Wake II before it will lessen the impact of Control.

The thing is, a lot of the general concepts of Control are assumed knowledge in Alan Wake II - that's not really an issue for Alan Wake II, as they just explain it all quickly - but it will likely mean that the first 3-4 hours of Control, where that stuff is the central mystery, do suffer, because they are literally just saying "this is what this is", about what was a big mystery in that game.

So basically, I'd recommend that someone who wanted to play Alan Wake II, and hadn't played Control, they'd have no problem jumping into Alan Wake II...

...but if someone is planning on playing both, they should probably play in the right order, because going out of order won't particularly harm the Alan Wake experience, but will harm the Control experience, if that makes sense?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So, I would say that playing Control before Alan Wake II isn't essential - there are some folks who are swearing up and down that you NEED to play it - and for sure, there is quite a bit of the connective tissue between the original Alan Wake and Alan Wake II that is fleshed out in Control (in the AWE DLC specifically, which may as well be called "AWII - The Prequel"...

... but I'm relatively convinced, (specifically because MsBloodmoney hadn't seen Control previously,) that Alan Wake II can be enjoyed just fine without it.

Having played Control before will enhance Alan Wake II, but it not playing Control won't harm it.

Having said that though - and this is the bigger point - if you are planning on playing Control at some point, I do think that playing Alan Wake II before it will lessen the impact of Control.

The thing is, a lot of the general concepts of Control are assumed knowledge in Alan Wake II - that's not really an issue for Alan Wake II, as they just explain it all quickly - but it will likely mean that the first 3-4 hours of Control, where that stuff is the central mystery, do suffer, because they are literally just saying "this is what this is", about what was a big mystery in that game.

So basically, I'd recommend that someone who wanted to play Alan Wake II, and hadn't played Control, they'd have no problem jumping into Alan Wake II...

...but if someone is planning on playing both, they should probably play in the right order, because going out of order won't particularly harm the Alan Wake experience, but will harm the Control experience, if that makes sense?

I didn't even think about that other half of the coin, so thank you for the answer! 🥰

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 1:08 PM, grayhammmer said:

While we're on the topic, is there any chance that you'll analyze any of the games that you can't complete, just with a note alongside them that they can't be 100%ed?

Sorry, just noticed this!

I'd never say never, but the way I see it, I've still go so many outstanding games to review that do qualify, that I'm in no great hurry to add all the ones that don't...

...but maybe if I ever do actually catch up (sometime in like 2035 probably!) 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In order to qualify, a game simply has to have been S-Ranked in the calendar year 2023, so whether I started and finished it that year, or all I did was mop up one last trophy, if the S-Rank happened in 2023, it's fair game! 

Was this put in place just so Hitman 3 doesn't sweep the categories even though you played it a lot this year?

9 minutes ago, grayhammmer said:

Was this put in place just so Hitman 3 doesn't sweep the categories even though you played it a lot this year?

It’s been the rule since I started…

…but it is definitely helping the other games not to get rail-roaded by Hitman Freelancer 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

WINNER: @grayhammmer- 2 Games (1 played, 1 Wish-listed)

Lcaa368.pngL681903.png

Dicey Dungeons / Chants of Sennaar

I'm glad I was able to provide you with a game (and a potential game) that you really seemed to enjoy this year, especially after the last game I recommended (Death's Door) seemed to be a bit of a disappointment for you. I wish I was a better writer so I could give a better thank you speech for this occasion, but either way I'm glad I could be a part of the scientific process.

• Like 3

Funny enough, I was actually reading through your checklist the other day... Thought maybe you caught me snooping! :ninja:

A Monster's Expedition is probably one of those games I'm going to slowly plat myself by 2025 as I just play it casually here and there to kill time and keep my mind active or feel like I need to relax after a stressful day.

• Like 3

It's always great to see The Outer Worlds get some rep! (I always tend to mix it with Outer Wilds 😂)

It's an interesting juxtaposition comparing the mindset of Obsidian to Bethesda, because prior to Starfield's release, the expectation was that it's sheer size would merit more unique finds and locations, compared to The Outer Worlds, which, by design, is a lot more packed-in and smaller in structure. However, it is this very detail that makes The Outer Worlds the game that appears more lively-- with every nook and cranny having detail in The Outer Worlds, you're bound to find more locales and world-building sights compared to Starfield, which, by consensus I've seen, has the player meander about going from point A to B on planets that simply yield procedural generated buildings with no true emphasis on diegetic world-building (full disclosure, this is based on gameplay I've seen, nothing more!).
Since The Outer Worlds comprised of devs from Fallout: New Vegas, they no doubt took this design philosophy in mind: as the player travels through your world, it would be highly beneficial to create a more compact environment, and as such, players are more likely to stumble across hidden areas in pursuit of the main story-related goals. In this sense, while the overall size of The Outer Worlds is smaller, the player will always end up finding details that contextualize the world. In this regard, The Outer Worlds ends up feeling like the bigger environment! Very cool to see it in action. It's akin to finding random vaults in Fallout, although this time it's those crazed corporate experiments! All tucked away, but with how small it is, it all has purpose.

However, I always tend to meander when writing. 😅 You worded it perfectly, and in a way that sums it up better than what I said: "Smarter, not bigger." THIS is the encapsulation of Obsidian working on The Outer Worlds.

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party but I loved reading your game awards 2023.
Your variety of different games are always nice to see and because of you I put few games on my wishlist:

- To Hell with Ugly
- Viewfinder
- Fights in Tight Spaces (Looks interesting but I don't know If I would ever play it, at least on my "maybe buy/play" list)
- Goodbye Volcano High (saw the trailer and it reminded me a little bit of Night in the Woods, a game which I can recommend you btw) but I would never do the plat for GVH, it's to much for my taste
- Killer Frequency
- The Outer Worlds

And I'm happy that you liked Alan Wake 2 as I did. My personal Goty 2023. As for Indie games I would say Tinykin (2022), Night in the Woods (2017), Firewatch (2016) were my personal gems for me. Oh yeah and Hell Pie which I showed you in another thread. 

Thanks for your time and scientific ranking of your games

Oh and I would like to see a scientific review of Gorogoa. It was a very interesting and unique game. 

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, ShadyWARcotix said:

Late to the party but I loved reading your game awards 2023.
Your variety of different games are always nice to see and because of you I put few games on my wishlist:

- To Hell with Ugly
- Viewfinder
- Fights in Tight Spaces (Looks interesting but I don't know If I would ever play it, at least on my "maybe buy/play" list)
- Goodbye Volcano High (saw the trailer and it reminded me a little bit of Night in the Woods, a game which I can recommend you btw) but I would never do the plat for GVH, it's to much for my taste
- Killer Frequency
- The Outer Worlds

And I'm happy that you liked Alan Wake 2 as I did. My personal Goty 2023. As for Indie games I would say Tinykin (2022), Night in the Woods (2017), Firewatch (2016) were my personal gems for me. At least the games you didn't played from my list. Oh yeah and Hell Pie which I showed you in another thread. 

Thanks for your time and scientific ranking of your games

Oh and I would like to see a scientific review of Gorogoa. It was a very interesting and unique game. 

Cheers Man!

Ha, any reason I can get some good games onto someone's radar is good enough for me - and interestingly, two of those ones you mentions (Night in the Woods, and TinyKin) I've been eyeing recently - Night in the Woods I've actually owned for ages, but just never got around to, and TinyKin is on the PS+ Extra catalogue right now, and looks pretty cool to me!

I've also added Gorogoa to the Priority List - will be a few catch up batches for the recent stuff before I get back to Priority ones, but I think that's the only one on there right now, so i shouldn't be toooo long!

• Like 4

On 12/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

1-BEST-GAME.jpg

SPECIAL-AWARD.jpgFreelancer-Key-Art-01-1024x576.jpg

GOOD-GOLD.jpgLf8bcdd.png

1ST RUNNER UP: Tetris Effect
CURRENT OVERALL RANKING: No.18
(Reviewed in BATCH 57)

GOOD-SILVER.jpgLb2471b.png

2ND RUNNER UP: This War of Mine: The Final Cut
CURRENT OVERALL RANKING: No.19
(Reviewed in BATCH 14)

GOOD-BRONZE.jpgLa37889.png

CURRENT OVERALL RANKING: No.21
3RD RUNNER UP: NORCO
(Reviewed in BATCH 56)

2-WORST-GAME.jpg

BAD-PLATINUM.jpgL886765.png

WINNER: Dante's Inferno
(Reviewed in BATCH 63)

BAD-SILVER.jpgL8e41a1.png

2ND RUNNER UP: Endling
(Reviewed in BATCH 63)

4-BEST-NEW-FRANCHISE.jpg

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgLb2acba.png

WINNER: Control
(Reviewed in BATCH 38)

GOOD-GOLD.jpgLa37889.png

1ST RUNNER UP: NORCO
(Reviewed in BATCH 56)

5-BRAIN-CANDY.jpg

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgLa37889.png

WINNER: NORCO
(Reviewed in BATCH 56)

8-ODDBALL-AWARD.jpg

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgLaeaabc.png

WINNER: Humanity
(Reviewed in BATCH 61)

GOOD-GOLD.jpgL6d6275.png

1ST RUNNER UP: To Hell with the Ugly
(Reviewed in BATCH 65)
GOOD-SILVER.jpgL646798.png

2ND RUNNER UP: Killer Frequency
(Reviewed in BATCH 62)

GOOD-BRONZE.jpgLcaa368.png

3RD RUNNER UP: Dicey Dungeons
(NOT YET REVIEWED)

11-WHY-DIDN-T-I-PLAY.jpg

GOOD-GOLD.jpgL56f627.png

1ST RUNNER UP: The Messenger
(Reviewed in BATCH 65)

GOOD-SILVER.jpgL6b0166.png

2ND RUNNER UP: Costume Quest
(Reviewed in BATCH 66)

GOOD-BRONZE.jpgL0ed71a.png

3RD RUNNER UP: Sam & Max Save the World
(Reviewed in BATCH 67)

12-GET-THIS-PLAYED.jpg

GOOD-PLATINUM.jpgL48b6d7.png

WINNER: Fights in Tight Spaces
(Reviewed in BATCH 63)

CURRENT ABSURDLY LOW OWNER COUNT: 78

GOOD-GOLD.jpgLa37889.png

1ST RUNNER UP: NORCO
(Reviewed in BATCH 56)

CURRENT ABSURDLY LOW OWNER COUNT: 610 (across 3 versions)

GOOD-SILVER.jpgLb572f8.png

2ND RUNNER UP: Treasures of the Aegean
(Reviewed in BATCH 55)

CURRENT ABSURDLY LOW OWNER COUNT: 270 (across 8(!) versions)

16-BACKLOG-GREMLIN.jpg

GREMLIN-PLATINUM.jpg

WINNER: @grayhammmer- 2 Games (1 played, 1 Wish-listed)

GREMLIN-GOLD.jpg

1ST RUNNER UP: @Beyondthegrave07 - 1 Game (1 Played)

GREMLIN-SILVER.jpg

2ND RUNNER UP: @Platinum_Vice - 1 Game (1 Played)

GREMLIN-BRONZE.jpg

3RD RUNNER UP: @Copanele - 1 Game (1 bought-not-played-yet)

Not sure how i haven't read your awards until now Doc... because they are damn amazing, here's some thoughts from them

• Still playing Hitman 3 i see doc... i guess the real question is now, will anything ever top it?
  • Tetris Effect, This war of mine and Norco added to the wishlist of like 200+ games across all platforms
  • Alright, how bad was the trails of Saint Lucia DLC?
  • Surprised to see Endling as a candidate for worst game, seeing as everyone else prasies it
  • Must get to Control and Alan Wake at some point, i must....
  • Wow... you really are selling Narco to me, love a deep story that keeps me interested
  • All of the oddball award precipitants are now on the wishlist, I'll get to them one day.... hopefully
  • The messenger, Sea of stars, costume quest, and Sam and Max are now on the wishlist - I think the wishlist is bigger then the backlog now lol
  • Fights in tight spaces only has 78 owners, treasures of the Aegean has only 270 owners across 8 stacks!? Up the priority wishlist they go
  • Interesting how basically all of the backlog gremlins were basically all on the same level ranking wise 

Now that the old year of 2023 is finshed, let's look at the new year of 2024 and hope that we play some great bangers this year!

Finally, some priority requests and some game recommendations (backlog gremlin award here i come!)

For the priority reports can we get inFamous: Second Son and Letter Quest on the priority list please? I have second son on the backlog and want to get to it this year and i want to hear your thoughts on it, and Letter Quest looks both interesting and kind of odd and i wonder if i would like it 

Finally here are some recommendations i will give that i think you may like (and totally not to give myself a lead on the backlog gremlin award, no totally not  :awesome:)

L648c20.pngLe64bcd.pngL3c80ff.png

I'm surprised how you haven't gotten around to the Spyro series yet, as they are pretty banger games and some of the best remakes around. Would highly recommend

Ldf701d.png

Picto Quest is a odd one, it asks the question of what if we did picross but with monsters and story or picross but rpg, how much you will like it will probably depend on how much you like picross puzzles

La3c6ee.png

Save Room is the last game i will recommend for now, basically it takes the inventory system for Resident Evil and turns it into a puzzle game, personally i found it to be a quite joyous game.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:15 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

New

The Suicide of Rachel Foster

I have the maybe similar Virginia (not sure if it's similar actually, it just feels like a similar vibe without me having played either) in the backlog. Interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

• Like 3