PS3 Store delves into a deeper pit each day

cris3f

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Support physical copies

This also isn't future-proof, since 95% of all games get updates after launch. Those servers will eventually not support the update requests & then we're in a similar situation to the all-digital movement.

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Helyx said:

This also isn't future-proof, since 95% if all games get updates after launch. Those servers will eventually not support the update requests & then we're in a similar situation to the all-digital movement.

Because of the Cyberpunks and the Assassin's Creed Unity's... the rumors of launch issues for most games are greatly exaggerated.  Plus a lot of them get re-prints in GOTY/complete editions or just in general that address the issue.  It's spottier but managable, way better than nothing.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

better than nothing.

I guess that's one way to look at it.

The 22Gb update I had to install for Tekken 7 to be "complete" speaks for itself. We're at a point where update services (especially legacy) should be maintained indefinitely, else many games will remain broken. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I for one can't believe they aren't spending copious amounts of time, effort and resources overhauling the two-generation-old store they wanted to close down.  I am shocked.  Shocked I tell you!

Oh please it was trash as soon as they added this shitty PS4 beta store to the PS3. It's never functioned properly and has been a turd, and that was during the PS3 before PS4 came out.

Vita's store is the same thing. PS4's store is the same thing but at least you can still use the now shittier webstore to avoid that turd store. PS5's store sucks too.

Sony's UI designers are terrible and they don't give a rats ass about the user experience and fixing shit that doesn't work even during the generation. Sure it's not surprising they won't fix it NOW, but people should stop forgetting that they didn't fix it THEN either. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Helyx said:

The 22Gb update I had to install for Tekken 7 to be "complete" speaks for itself. We're at a point where update services (especially legacy) should be maintained indefinitely, else many games will remain broken. 

In fairness, your Street Fighter 2 SNES cart didn't have "everything" on it either back in the day... *looks at the Turbo Hyper Super Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition Edition*

And gosh, my Destiny 2 disc requires internet access to play too! ?  Damn useless coaster.

We could cherry pick imperfect examples all day, but I have a shelf full of games that would work fine in a pinch.  I'm sure Tekken 7 would too if you could somehow survive without playing as DLC Character #7.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

No one should be able to advocate for account-based DRM in a walled garden and support it financially, then turn around and cry about anti-preservation.  It's literally the opposite of preservation.  No matter what way you look at it, these servers will eventually go down and these games will eventually not work anymore.  It's not Sony's job to unrealistically keep their servers running forever, it's our job to not support something so unsustainable.

What's the alternative? Not using DRM-based marketplaces at all? Why didn't I think of tha- oh right, they don't exist. Even arguing that you should totally forego using PSN, Xbox Market, Steam and all that, and go with completely disc-based purchasing methods, what would that accomplish? Patches are fairly often tightly controlled by DRM, DRM are usually also put in the disc, either in form of security, mandated downloadable files, or "always online services", and this is becoming ever more present, and long term supporting physical media will do squat to steer clear of these problems. Like, sure, if I had the foresight to always buy physical I might not have the trouble with the PS3 as I have now, but in the future that whole argument is going to be null and void.

You also have to think about what the consequences of "not supporting something so unsustainable" actually are. If we all, hypothetically, revert ourselves to a time where everything we did was disc-based (PS2 style), this will completely drain the now booming indie scene that really truly started due to downloadable content. Blu-ray manufacturing on a global level is not cheap, and if it was, it would be completely unsustainable with how many games are released every day now. Now this might be a reasonable sacrifice for you personally, but is it actually a good thing for the medium overall? I'm not convinced. By limiting the amount of money that can flow to small time developers you are essentially putting a much higher threshold on what games can be produced. And the ones with the ressources to actually still produce games? Yup, those are the ones that are going to force more DRM nonsense down our throat. By buying anything, anywhere, you are feeding into an ecosystem of anti-consumerism. By just having a PS3/4/5 and buying games for it in any capacity, physical or digital, you are essentially supporting an industry and corporations that do this stuff.

And in the end it wouldn't even matter. People less discerning about these DRM restrictions than you or I, people who are just casual users of video games, people who don't really care about preservation, will just keep on trucking, feeding into a loop of anti-consumerist practices. 
It's true, everything dies. GOG is pretty cool about DRM issues, but you still have to use their servers to download things. Steam isn't going to exist forever. Eventually my PS3 will perish. And I too, will die. The future is downloads, and it's already here and have been for decades, and there is just no way around that, no matter how much we whine and flail our arms about it. Trying to negate a wider dystopian trait by personally investing in physical is like trying to fight climate change by going vegan. It's admirable that you want to do something about it, but it's not going to matter. We need policy. We need to have this be an issue, that Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo or Valve can't just legally handwave away. Have preservation of art on the agenda. The laws of practically every country are majorly outdated when it comes to these things, and until policies are in place to help this, it's just going to be very hard to preserve games no matter what you do. But don't go blame this on consumers. By doing so, you're essentially taking Sony's side. "It's your fault that things are this way. You could have just not supported it. We totally didn't stack the deck or mislead you in any way to support these practices. This is on you."

Sorry for the wall of text. This was not intended to be this long.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

In fairness, your Street Fighter 2 SNES cart didn't have "everything" on it either back in the day

That game plays exactly the same today as it it did 30 years ago. It's not governed by the digital updates I was referencing in my posts.

Most games going forward will require some form of update that (hopefully) is an improvement over the stock disc version. I'm an advocate for physical media, don't think I'm not on your side. I'm just saying that as long as all these games have day-1 patches, and those patches come from a server with a lifespan; nothing is future-proof any more unless we preserve those servers for requesting the updates.

Anyway, I wasn't "cherry picking", Tekken 7 just happens to be the last new game I played.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

In fairness, your Street Fighter 2 SNES cart didn't have "everything" on it either back in the day... *looks at the Turbo Hyper Super Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition Edition*

And gosh, my Destiny 2 disc requires internet access to play too! 1f632.png  Damn useless coaster.

We could cherry pick imperfect examples all day, but I have a shelf full of games that would work fine in a pinch.  I'm sure Tekken 7 would too if you could somehow survive without playing as DLC Character #7.

You should just stop digging your heels into this. Games ship with Day-0 patches all the time because DLC are part of the project plan well before the game goes "gold". Then you have the problem of your PSN cloud saves only being compatible with v1.05 of the game, not v1.00. 

41 minutes ago, gyrocop said:

What's the alternative? Not using DRM-based marketplaces at all? Why didn't I think of tha- oh right, they don't exist. Even arguing that you should totally forego using PSN, Xbox Market, Steam and all that, and go with completely disc-based purchasing methods, what would that accomplish? Patches are fairly often tightly controlled by DRM, DRM are usually also put in the disc, either in form of security, mandated downloadable files, or "always online services", and this is becoming ever more present, and long term supporting physical media will do squat to steer clear of these problems. Like, sure, if I had the foresight to always buy physical I might not have the trouble with the PS3 as I have now, but in the future that whole argument is going to be null and void.

You also have to think about what the consequences of "not supporting something so unsustainable" actually are. If we all, hypothetically, revert ourselves to a time where everything we did was disc-based (PS2 style), this will completely drain the now booming indie scene that really truly started due to downloadable content. Blu-ray manufacturing on a global level is not cheap, and if it was, it would be completely unsustainable with how many games are released every day now. Now this might be a reasonable sacrifice for you personally, but is it actually a good thing for the medium overall? I'm not convinced. By limiting the amount of money that can flow to small time developers you are essentially putting a much higher threshold on what games can be produced. And the ones with the ressources to actually still produce games? Yup, those are the ones that are going to force more DRM nonsense down our throat. By buying anything, anywhere, you are feeding into an ecosystem of anti-consumerism. By just having a PS3/4/5 and buying games for it in any capacity, physical or digital, you are essentially supporting an industry and corporations that do this stuff.

And in the end it wouldn't even matter. People less discerning about these DRM restrictions than you or I, people who are just casual users of video games, people who don't really care about preservation, will just keep on trucking, feeding into a loop of anti-consumerist practices. 
It's true, everything dies. GOG is pretty cool about DRM issues, but you still have to use their servers to download things. Steam isn't going to exist forever. Eventually my PS3 will perish. And I too, will die. The future is downloads, and it's already here and have been for decades, and there is just no way around that, no matter how much we whine and flail our arms about it. Trying to negate a wider dystopian trait by personally investing in physical is like trying to fight climate change by going vegan. It's admirable that you want to do something about it, but it's not going to matter. We need policy. We need to have this be an issue, that Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo or Valve can't just legally handwave away. Have preservation of art on the agenda. The laws of practically every country are majorly outdated when it comes to these things, and until policies are in place to help this, it's just going to be very hard to preserve games no matter what you do. But don't go blame this on consumers. By doing so, you're essentially taking Sony's side. "It's your fault that things are this way. You could have just not supported it. We totally didn't stack the deck or mislead you in any way to support these practices. This is on you."

Sorry for the wall of text. This was not intended to be this long.

I'll be honest, this is impossible to dissect and respond to properly.  So I'll just say this...

We don't need to revert back to 100% physical media.  Digital serves a purpose, and that purpose shouldn't be stamping out physical media to the point where someday all of these games may be lost with the flip of a switch.  No matter how hard you push for "policy" it doesn't change the fact servers cost money to run.

30 minutes ago, technole said:

You should just stop digging your heels into this. Games ship with Day-0 patches all the time because DLC are part of the project plan well before the game goes "gold". Then you have the problem of your PSN cloud saves only being compatible with v1.05 of the game, not v1.00. 

33 minutes ago, Helyx said:

That game plays exactly the same today as it it did 30 years ago. It's not governed by the digital updates I was referencing in my posts.

Most games going forward will require some form of update that (hopefully) is an improvement over the stock disc version. I'm an advocate for physical media, don't think I'm not on your side. I'm just saying that as long as all these games have day-1 patches, and those patches come from a server with a lifespan; nothing is future-proof any more unless we preserve those servers for requesting the updates.

Anyway, I wasn't "cherry picking", Tekken 7 just happens to be the last new game I played.

You guys don't have to keep beating the same "some games need patches" drum, I get it.  I disagree however with how you feel about the state of most single player discs though, especially when you consider my shelf of re-prints and remasters that include these updates and DLC (on disc; trust me I've put some time and money into keeping track of it lol).  Maybe the day will come where most of a physical collection is rendered useless without the update server, today isn't the day.

EDIT: Also, who cares about PSN cloud saves.  If I want to go back and play The Last of Us Pt. 2 in 20 years when PSN is long gone, do I really care about making sure I start halfway through it?

EDIT 2: And PSN cloud saves probably wouldn't be a thing if the servers are down. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Physical made sense in the PS2/PS3 generations. Since the PS4 era, too many games have updates that are absolutely essential if you want to play them and have a good experience with them. Without the updates and patches, these games are practically bricks. They're not worth any more than something you put your coffee cup on.

Physical is only beneficial now for the resell value.

1 hour ago, gyrocop said:

There's no alternative. Everything is online integrated. Even our microwaves and appliances we use in the kitchen are online integrated.

DRM was in it's infancy when companies like EA began using number codes to try to prevent people from burning CDs, which was still fairly popular in the early 2000s. Today you buy a new Xbox console and you practically have to agree with all the DRM practices Microsoft uses.

Physical media is on the way out, and has been for a long time. There is absolutely no real alternative.

DLC was a big controversy. Now it has become such a common practice nobody questions the motives behind it.

I predict there will be a video game collapse in the near future. Too much money, not enough support for the consumer. Quite a turnaround from what the industry was in the PS2 era.

It's called brainwashing. The masses that keep buying the shit Madden titles, latest Call of Duty game and supporting the filthy practices 2K puts in games like NBA 2K21 are just contributing to the overall decline of the industry.

I've had a GOG account for over a decade now. Never steered me wrong, never gave me any issues. But I know that one day all of what I own will be gone. Hundreds of dollars I spent on various games. Same with Steam. Steam couldn't care less about their playerbase, they have by far the biggest playerbase out there.

In the United States we have copyright laws dating back to the 1970s and even before that. They worked back then, but in today's world they just complicate matters and make everything worse. Our Congress is a bunch of old has been Baby Boomers who are completely out of touch with society. If they couldn't handle the racial riots and the COVID-19 pandemic what makes you think they'll be able to handle laws regarding the preservation of art?

We already hit a dystopian society. Everything we have digital is a glorified rental service. What we have physical will eventually be worth no more than a brick. Delistings are practically common place.

It's like we're trying to live like it's still the early - mid 2000s, but we wake up and realize we're in 2021. If we want to fight this, we need to direct this attention to the people who can make new laws. These useless petitions on the internet and the constant outcries on Twitter and social media in general won't solve anything.

• Like 1

On the bright side, the PS3 download list kinda got a recent glow ? it’s bright blue now, and the scrolling/loading is a bit faster! Check it out! This could not have been that long ago since the last time I opened the download list..

Actually I’m not sure what causes that version of the download list ._. (with the high pitched beep and bright blue) because that form shows up in old youtube videos..maybe someone can explain ?‍♂️ 

Edited by EqualityEarth

52 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

On the bright side, the PS3 download list kinda got a recent glow ? it’s bright blue now, and the scrolling/loading is a bit faster! Check it out! This could not have been that long ago since the last time I opened the download list..

Actually I’m not sure what causes that version of the download list ._. (with the high pitched beep and bright blue) because that form shows up in old youtube videos..maybe someone can explain ?‍♂️ 

I will check tomorrow. who knows my digital copies of Deus Ex, Metro Last Light and other games that mysteriously

disappeared resolve to rise from the ashes

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Physical made sense in the PS2/PS3 generations. Since the PS4 era, too many games have updates that are absolutely essential if you want to play them and have a good experience with them. Without the updates and patches, these games are practically bricks. They're not worth any more than something you put your coffee cup on.

This is the popular, extremely cynical stance to take but the existence of a patch doesn't mean the game is unplayable without it.  Which is something I think people are having a hard time wrapping their head around with games like Cyberpunk still bouncing around in there.  It also neglects the re-prints and remasters that end up including these updates on the disc.

It's a little tougher landscape to navigate but it's definitely not the doom and gloom you guys are making it out to be.

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I've had a GOG account for over a decade now. Never steered me wrong, never gave me any issues. But I know that one day all of what I own will be gone.

You can download the installers for the game and never need to access their servers again.  That's how it should be done, buy an external HDD and regularly maintain your backups and the hardware and you're the master of your own destiny there.  GOG is the one service doing it right.

Edited by Dreakon13

6 hours ago, EqualityEarth said:

I know what you mean. That is the first version of the PlayStation Store download list.

When PS Store was first released, the whole store had that same look. It was pretty fast too.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 6:15 AM, Dreakon13 said:

This is the popular, extremely cynical stance to take but the existence of a patch doesn't mean the game is unplayable without it.  Which is something I think people are having a hard time wrapping their head around with games like Cyberpunk still bouncing around in there.  It also neglects the re-prints and remasters that end up including these updates on the disc.

It's a little tougher landscape to navigate but it's definitely not the doom and gloom you guys are making it out to be.

Too many games nowadays come with notable improvements with patches. With some games playing on version 1.00 is basically saying I'm playing an unfinished game. Mafia 3 was a complete mess at launch and it still hasn't been fully fixed. Trophy glitches and other issues are apparent with the game. On version 1.00 I'd be experiencing more issues with it.

The PS2 generation was the 'last' non-internet generation because games had to be complete on disc. I remember going into Blockbuster and buying up PS2 games in person where I can just pop in the disc and not have to worry about downloading anything. The downside was, if the game was shit, you were stuck with it. Now you have updates and patches because everything now is online integrated in contrast to 15 years ago when that was not the case. Cyberpunk 2077 is still going through a process of getting it's various issues fixed. For the time being, I have lost all respect for CD Projekt Red. For all they hyped up about Cyberpunk, it was certainly nothing nearly as grand or memorable as The Witcher 3.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:15 AM, Dreakon13 said:

You can download the installers for the game and never need to access their servers again.  That's how it should be done, buy an external HDD and regularly maintain your backups and the hardware and you're the master of your own destiny there.  GOG is the one service doing it right.

There is an offline component yes. I still have .exe files for various games I downloaded off of GOG dating back to 2010 - 2012 when the website was under the old format. Steam unfortunately doesn't have this option, it's all online based.

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Mafia 3 was a complete mess at launch and it still hasn't been fully fixed.

I remember the game being repetitive and boring, the glitches on launch didn't bother me as much as that.

Like I said to the other guy, we can cherry pick examples all day.  Plenty of games release in rough shape, it might make for a less than perfect gaming experience... but we're not talking about perfection here.  It's making due in a worst case scenario.  Not being able to access your digital games at all sounds like the less perfect option to me, yet somehow the possibility of an imperfect game and NO game are being represented as equally bad... which is as illogical as it is emotionally charged.

I don't agree that it's a problem with "too many games" to make physical copies irrelevant.  Most games are fine.  Even Mafia 3 was playable, I know it because I played the launch version.

And again, we're ignoring that a lot of games get re-prints with the updates on disc... including Mafia 3.

Edited by Dreakon13

16 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I remember the game being repetitive and boring, the glitches on launch didn't bother me as much as that.

Like I said to the other guy, we can cherry pick examples all day.  Plenty of games release in rough shape, it might make for a less than perfect gaming experience... but we're not talking about perfection here.  It's making due in a worst case scenario.  Not being able to access your digital games at all sounds like the less perfect option to me, yet somehow the possibility of an imperfect game and NO game are being represented as equally bad... which is as illogical as it is emotionally charged.

I don't agree that it's a problem with "too many games" to make physical copies irrelevant.  Most games are fine.  Even Mafia 3 was playable, I know it because I played the launch version.

And again, we're ignoring that a lot of games get re-prints with the updates on disc... including Mafia 3.

Yeah sure, Cyberpunk 2077 may be playable and even enjoyable one day. That's where No Man's Sky today is at. When the game came out in 2016, critics blasted it. Tweets regarding No Man's Sky were so bad Sean Murray himself hid away from them. It has gone through a multitude of changes and a couple of overhauls, I tested out the game and I think it's pretty decent.

However, people are saying Mafia 3 is still not entirely fixed with the updates. After what I heard about the game in late 2016 I put it off for over a year, then bought it cheap off of Amazon. Most of the glaring issues were fixed, but one trophy in the DLC glitched out on me forcing me to play the game completely offline.

The Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection got re-printed on the PS4 with the updates on disc... including the removal of the tweak glitch for Uncharted 2, necessary for beating Brutal difficulty.

All this aside, I'm still siding with gryocop on this one. Personally, I'm in the same age group as you and I know exactly where you're coming from. Games are no longer fully complete on launch anymore, there is always some little bug or issue that needs to be ironed out. Okay, not that big of deal then. What does matter to me is how companies handle themselves when their products get blasted by critics. We've witnessed this with Hello Games on No Man's Sky, Bethesda on Fallout 76, and most recently CD Projekt Red on Cyberpunk 2077. All three games were harshly blasted by critics, and whenever you get YouTube morons and Twitter mobs telling you how bad the games are, that can decrease the demand. That's simple economics.

No, I did not ignore the fact that a lot of games get re-prints with the updates on disc. I just didn't feel that was necessary to bring up here.

Edited by AJ_Radio

8 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Yeah sure, Cyberpunk 2077 may be playable and even enjoyable one day. That's where No Man's Sky today is at. When the game came out in 2016, critics blasted it. Tweets regarding No Man's Sky were so bad Sean Murray himself hid away from them. It has gone through a multitude of changes and a couple of overhauls, I tested out the game and I think it's pretty decent.

However, people are saying Mafia 3 is still not entirely fixed with the updates. After what I heard about the game in late 2016 I put it off for over a year, then bought it cheap off of Amazon. Most of the glaring issues were fixed, but one trophy in the DLC glitched out on me forcing me to play the game completely offline.

The Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection got re-printed on the PS4 with the updates on disc... including the removal of the tweak glitch for Uncharted 2, necessary for beating Brutal difficulty.

All this aside, I'm still siding with gryocop on this one. Personally, I'm in the same age group as you and I know exactly where you're coming from. Games are no longer fully complete on launch anymore, there is always some little bug or issue that needs to be ironed out. Okay, not that big of deal then. What does matter to me is how companies handle themselves when their products get blasted by critics. We've witnessed this with Hello Games on No Man's Sky, Bethesda on Fallout 76, and most recently CD Projekt Red on Cyberpunk 2077. All three games were harshly blasted by critics, and whenever you get YouTube morons and Twitter mobs telling you how bad the games are, that can decrease the demand. That's simple economics.

No, I did not ignore the fact that a lot of games get re-prints with the updates on disc. I just didn't feel that was necessary to bring up here.

It was a conversation about viability of gaming without PSN and how physical compares to digital.

I'm not sure why people started talking about every little bug or missing DLC character a game might have, or "how companies handle themselves when their products get blasted by critics".  I'm not arguing that games aren't buggy or sometimes incomplete on launch, I'm arguing that "some little bug" doesn't matter if the alternative is no game at all, and that physical is still viable.  Of course re-printing is relevant.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

navigating it worsens more and more, its really slow, and more games had been slowly delisted, its like on its last breathe.

would be nice it just bugged and everything goes free...

i would settle for a once a year ps3 online store sale at this point. theyd make so much money but they just care about forcing people into ps5. i hate the layout that ps3 is stuck on. the original one with less graphics was so smooth with no lag. ever since they updated it years ago it is so clunky to navigate and often just crashes and closes lol

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

navigating it worsens more and more, its really slow, and more games had been slowly delisted, its like on its last breathe.

would be nice it just bugged and everything goes free...

I wish they had reverted the Store back to the PS3 storefront not the shitty beta for the PS4. 

When you get a game that has a store option of things still on the store it will boot up that old store and it runs really well and snappy and it's so nice. :'3 Risking the actual PS Store is risking your profile corrupting, system crashing, etc. 

I was wondering if buying a second PS3 would help at all with performance somehow. There's a few things I want to see if they're still there or easier to download from the Store (I guess that's the same thing). But I'm not about to go through a corrupted profile for a third time.

Sony will use the lack of use as a reason to close it. But the lack of use is because it's unusable. If I could still buy games on the website, and they still went on sale I would buy them all the time. I just bought the Max Payne games on Steam on sale first game is from 2001. Before the PS3 even came out. 😒

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

i hate the layout that ps3 is stuck on. the original one with less graphics was so smooth with no lag. ever since they updated it years ago it is so clunky to navigate and often just crashes and closes lol

yeah the layout is terrible, what sucks is i waited like 5minutes for something to load up, then it kicks me back to the ps3 home screen....did that multiple times, i had enough! haha

28 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Sony will use the lack of use as a reason to close it. But the lack of use is because it's unusable. If I could still buy games on the website, and they still went on sale I would buy them all the time. I just bought the Max Payne games on Steam on sale first game is from 2001. Before the PS3 even came out. 😒

for sure, I have friends who still play and buy ps3 games, but they wont sit thru that shitty store. most of them a lot younger than me and have no patience either. haha

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I wish they had reverted the Store back to the PS3 storefront not the shitty beta for the PS4.

100% agreed.

At least the original PS3 store UI is still present for browsing add-on content in-game which means almost no input delay or app crashing.

Still sucks that it’s been over a decade now since being replaced.

• Like 1