Dragon Quest XII officially announced, worldwide release confirmed

MidnightDragon

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm definitely interested to see what a more mature Dragon Quest game looks like. Not sure how I feel about them changing the battle system, but it sounds like it's more of an iteration than a complete overhaul. I'm excited for the game either way.

It sounded like that they also were going to have a classic option, so maybe something akin to FF7R?

20 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

DQ12-Ann_05-26-21.jpg

Dragon Quest XII was officially announced for a worldwide release. They said it would be more mature than past installments, have choices, and they are changing the battle system a bit. I'm definitely curious to see what they do. 

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/05/dragon_quest_xii_the_flames_of_fate_is_a_more_adult_dragon_quest_has_player_choice_new_combat_style

ill be trying this. 11 bored me. tried that 4 times. i like the original DQ games i played as a kid. So hopefully this is better. 

4 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

It sounded like that they also were going to have a classic option, so maybe something akin to FF7R?

Yeah, I could definitely see something like that happening. I mean DQXI S went so far as adding a whole 2D mode to please the long time fans, so I'm sure a traditional battle option would be simple compared to that. 

To be honest, I am not very impressed by the whole direction Dragon Quest's main series is going. The XII looks like something out of Dark Souls or Bloodborne and with the new "dark, R-rated" promises and "choices must be made" tease, I am worried this will become a fantasy clone of Infamous Second Son, which means your heroes may become villains. I don't want to be a jerkwad but I am losing faith in the series - they announced their "Endwalker" expansion for their Dragon Quest MMO, which they said "no plans for an international release" and then show a single-player version of Dragon Quest X in the art style of the future Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remakes aka chibi-style. That's not a solution, you burned all of your localization resources on FFXIV. X(

I guess Dragon Quest Treasures and the DQ3 umpteenth remake might be good. At least they promised that there will be a future Dragon Quest Monsters game. Probably Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 4 for the Switch only. :(

54 minutes ago, Alaquia said:

changing the battle system does sound bad, I'm fearing the worst

35 minutes ago, winter_bird_22 said:

To be honest, I am not very impressed by the whole direction Dragon Quest's main series is going. The XII looks like something out of Dark Souls or Bloodborne and with the new "dark, R-rated" promises and "choices must be made" tease, I am worried this will become a fantasy clone of Infamous Second Son, which means your heroes may become villains. I don't want to be a jerkwad but I am losing faith in the series - they announced their "Endwalker" expansion for their Dragon Quest MMO, which they said "no plans for an international release" and then show a single-player version of Dragon Quest X in the art style of the future Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remakes aka chibi-style. That's not a solution, you burned all of your localization resources on FFXIV. X(

I guess Dragon Quest Treasures and the DQ3 umpteenth remake might be good. At least they promised that there will be a future Dragon Quest Monsters game. Probably Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 4 for the Switch only. :(

I have concerns, but trying to keep an open mind.

44 minutes ago, SnowStorm said:

Does that mean no more puff puff? :(

I hope not. That’s a mainstay.

Edited by MidnightDragon

15 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

As is standard practice these days, I will wait and see. A game becoming more "mature" usually isn't a positive for me, and I had no issues with the battle system in XI.

battle system could have been faster a bit. That was my complaint with it. Plus the music. lol.

I'm wondering how far along it is though. Some companies dont like to say anything until it's a few months (6-10) away from releasing,  while others are a royal pain and announce a game the second they write it on a whiteboard for brainstorming in the office lol (Elder Scrolls 6, Granblue Fantasy Re: Link) haha.

A logo reveal is always kind of disappointing, as there's not much to get excited about aside from the fact another game is in the works. I hope with mature they mean actually targeted at an older audience and not just having edgy characters. In any case seeing a simultaneous worldwide release is very good.

Also the game will be made in the new UE5. Can't wait to see more.

Edited by xZoneHunter

36 minutes ago, charxsetsuna said:

This concerns me to be honest, are they going to try to make it like newer final fantasy games.

a similar situation happened was that a lot of Tales of fans were questioning combat for Arise at first too, as it looked like it'd just be 2 ppl in a hack and slash action rpg style. But they kept the tales combat and party setups. Obviously tweaked a bit. 

so SE could change it up a bit, but still retain the general style if that makes sense. Hopefully more info soon.

There’s no way that I would miss a DQ game, but I have great worries for this one. Square is just not equipped to write a “mature” story, and DQ is a poor venue for this for a variety of reasons.

At the end of the day, death and destruction can and do occur often in DQ games (look at all the mayhem in DQVII). But the overall tone still remains light. I hope they don’t turn too far away from this.

50 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

There’s no way that I would miss a DQ game, but I have great worries for this one. Square is just not equipped to write a “mature” story, and DQ is a poor venue for this for a variety of reasons.

At the end of the day, death and destruction can and do occur often in DQ games (look at all the mayhem in DQVII). But the overall tone still remains light. I hope they don’t turn too far away from this.

Dragon quest 11 also had its moments,not too many but were great when they happened.

Dragon quest is a series that in my opinion knows when to be light hearted and tell jokes. But it also knows when to be serious.

Edited by charxsetsuna

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing up an almost three year old thread, but...this doesn't sound too good. 

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2024/04/dragon-quest-12-still-mia-as-series-producer-is-reassigned-at-square-enix

This guy has been the series producer since Dragon Quest IV or V (not sure which). I get there's been some issues behind the scenes beyond this, but they could still give us SOMETHING! 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

but they could still give us SOMETHING! 

Na, I'd rather they delay and get a new lead who can put the game back on proper track than poop out some unfinished tripe hoping to capitalize off a famous franchise name.

• Like 2