Sabbath - Kinda Bloody Sabbath!

KindaSabbath

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

It was also your first Trials game, so your stats would definitely have been something cool to keep and remind yourself how your start with the franchise was... 

Luckily for @KindaSabbath, his stats are fine, just his progress is gone - but all the times are visible on the leaderboards, so he just has to replay a shitload of tracks if he wants to improve his times on some of the extremes that he's mentioned ;)

Btw, @KindaSabbath, you definitely don't have to replay the tracks only to give me a hand with the tandem thing - it was incredibly generous of you that you mentioned it but it would've been way too much to ask for - I actually got the trophy yesterday with another good player (we had to meet the requirements twice as the trophy only pops for one player at a time) and I think we even had some fun doing it :D But now for the plot twist... it's quite likely that we could have still done it even with your progress erased :D  It turns out that you have to "Screen share" to do this trophy (as otherwise it's meant for the couch co-op) and I guess it might have been possible but we didn't know about it! Haha, you live and learn, but the clumsy PS5 interface doesn't make things much easier..

And on an unrelated note, my first PS5 game seems to be Death Stranding, I had it for PS4 and now paid 10 bucks to get the next gen upgrade - after 1 hour I have to say it's intriguing to say the least, though most of it were cinematics :D 

• Like 1

On 23/09/2021 at 9:39 AM, Destructor-8 said:

I've watched your videos & you are really amazing at the game. The good thing is that the game is so good that I'm just going to keep playing until I get good enough & that's quite comforting in a way lol. Also it's nice to see you deciding on what next to play & it seems like there's a lot of people here with great input in helping decide that.

Appreciate that bro. I'm not terrible at the game but honestly, if you want to watch someone who is beast, check @det_gittes replays - especially on the extreme tracks.

Yeah it's awesome having so many that drop by and give input on games/genres. I've got some cool games coming up because of it!

22 hours ago, det_gittes said:

That's a tough lesson for sure. I know I told you at first that no much harm was done as you completed the game anyway but I can definitely see how the progress could be so important to you, especially that you had plans to revisit some of the tracks. The situation really sucks, but at least it will force you to spend a bit more time with the game you enjoyed so much, if that makes it any less painful ;) 

Yeah, I was so bummed out about it yesterday. As you say though, more Trials is never a bad thing! If you haven't got the tandem by the time I've unlocked those tracks, I'll drop you a message and we can get it done ??

I'll leave this here incase you fancy going at it solo again. It's annoying but definitely doable:

Holding two Dualsense controllers at the same time is the biggest challenge, though ?

15 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Wow man, that is devastating.

Dude, I was so pissed yesterday. My own fault though!

But let's keep this in perspective - this is a game you platinumed, correct? So that progress is still retained.  And, it's not like you've lost your entire account to a ban, either!

Yeah all trophy progress is intact. I plan to keep playing the game though and Rising is an absolute grind to unlock the extreme tracks. Also, I would want all my replays to be available to any of my friends or future friends - if they decide to take on the game. Something I found very useful when playing through, so I'd like to have that there for others.

The method I used is not a bannable thing or anything like that. I think it's just a little trick that less confident trophy hunters use to try out difficult games in order to protect their completion. I wouldn't of even entertained the thought of it - if it was anyway on dodgy ground.

Chin up.

Thank you mate! 

Not bad! I needed a handful of attempts to get this one done :D You had never played the original Little Nightmares before? I really enjoyed that game and am only waiting for a good sale on the sequel.. 

I played it when it released on Switch. Fantastic game. I never tried to speed run it though, so that was a new experience. I think that's also the reason why I decided to try out this *method* - with my current gaming lul... I wanted to pick a couple shorter games to make progress in the UR Event so I could fast track to the Soulsborne games, but because I'd already played Little Nightmares on Switch, I didn't know if I'd get bored quickly and then have to force myself to clean it up. 

As for the speed run - I didn't expect to get it so quickly. The plan was to have a little play through. Maybe have a go at the speedrun and if it pulls me in, sign into my account and complete it. 

I definitely recommend Little Nightmares 2. If you liked the first - it's a serious must play. They recently released a PS5 upgrade but it has a separate trophy list for some reason. 

Dude, that fucking sucks :( I never tried to use this method, but I would not have noticed either that this results in a progress-wipe... PS+ really is something you should keep active if you care about your saves, but it really is total shit that you lost your Rising progress. It was also your first Trials game, so your stats would definitely have been something cool to keep and remind yourself how your start with the franchise was... 

Sorry that this happened! But as mentioned above, the only solution is to play more Trials :)

Thanks bro, yeah I was completely gutted yesterday. The whole thing was pointless anyways as Little Nightmares pulled me out of my little low motivation slump and I loved every second going for the completion. Its a lesson learned - one that cost me my Trials Rising save file. In future - if feeling *meh* about playing a game, I will just take a break until I feel excited to play again.

But today is a new day. Turning it into a positive, I'm excited to play through Rising again and I might document my second journey through the game here! It will be interesting to play through, like many of you did, after Fusion. I wonder if it will still be the harder one out of the two for me.

Meh, many things are "frowned upon", but you shouldn't care. Also, just for the record... in your case it's pretty clear that completion% is not the reason 1f602.png Don't worry about it. 

Lol yeah I know... I just thought I was being clever by being able to have a little play and keep any progress made if I decided I was in the mood for it. Cost me more than it was worth but live and learn.

:whip:  (this is the closest thing to a slap I could find that is forum-provided :P )

Did you just whip me with an emoji bro? ?????

The New Plan:

So over the weekend I'm going to try and get through Limbo - It's a bit of a busy weekend with kids Birthdays so I won't have too much playtime... This will wrap up my Tier 1 for the UR Event and then I will start juggling UR games with Soulsborne titles. I'll probably start looking into and asking recommendations for UR games that are on the shorter side (skill dependent) - so that I can keep progress flowing in the event while taking my time with Fromsoft games. 

And ofcourse, Rising is now a passion project to keep working on.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Tough post this one, my understanding is that using a blank account is somewhat frowned upon and generally used by those who are scared of losing their completion record. This is not why I chose to try this method at all and I hope that's obvious. I didn't need to post anything about this publicly but at the same time, that just feels shitty. 

I guess I'll be working through Rising again in-between games as it's the only way I'll get my progress back and there's a few extreme tracks that I'd like to revisit. I'm so upset with myself. 

I'd like everybody to rally up and collectively give me a digital slap! 

Damn that isn't good & even more so that it's one of your favourite games. I'm sure you'll get through it again but even faster this time so hopefully it won't be long when you are back where you were before.

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

:whip:  (this is the closest thing to a slap I could find that is forum-provided :P )

This is pretty funny lol.

56 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Appreciate that bro. I'm not terrible at the game but honestly, if you want to watch someone who is beast, check @det_gittes replays - especially on the extreme tracks.

Yeah it's awesome having so many that drop by and give input on games/genres. I've got some cool games coming up because of it!

And ofcourse, Rising is now a passion project to keep working on.

Yeah I got quite a few people here to use for that which is nice, so hopefully it helps out & will be even better as it will be like I'm doing it with you guys. Yeah it'll give you games to try out that you might not have played before, but hopefully you get back to where you were before in a quicker amount of time.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 3:07 AM, KindaSabbath said:

Update - I'm A Massive Idiot:

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Especially when you're coming off of a bout of feeling unmotivated, that's the last shit you need.

No need to beat yourself up though, it was a simple mistake and you've certainly been punished enough (I could only imagine). Take a step back, enjoy the weekend with your family, and come back fresh and rejuvenated. Remember - Trials is your bitch, and you can prove that again at any time you want?

Glad to hear about Little Nightmares catching your eye, though! Every time I see it on sale I think about it, but never go through with it. I'm glad you've landed a game that keeps your interest! Gaming malaise is a fuckin wack, and when something gets you goin again, it's a pretty underrated feeling!

• Like 1

On 23/09/2021 at 11:07 AM, KindaSabbath said:

Tough post this one, my understanding is that using a blank account is somewhat frowned upon and generally used by those who are scared of losing their completion record. This is not why I chose to try this method at all and I hope that's obvious. I didn't need to post anything about this publicly but at the same time, that just feels shitty. 

I just want you to know - that I only put a rep point on that post because of your complete honesty in it - like you said, you didn't need to make that post at all. So the fact you did means you have a lot of integrity, not that I didn't already think that. Still, I was a little hesitant, because I thought - if I put a like on this he's going to think I'm happy about him losing his save file and progress.... Which I'm absolutely not.

I'm really gutted to hear that man - I'm sorry that happened to you. I think I totally take the cloud save feature for granted these days myself, but now I've become so used to using it, I couldn't imagine a time where I didn't use it just for safety.

As plenty of others have alluded to - turn that negative into a positive, at least now you're coming back to the game with even more beastly aptitude for the game, I'm sure you'll be racing past all of your own previous track times, and giving them a nice big wave as you go driving past and smashing them into the ground like tent pegs.

It's awesome that you're planning on jumping into a FromSoftware title in the future - I've got fairly limited experience with those, I've played Bloodborne (I missed out on the 100%, that I've not gone back to because I spent so long laughing at Ludwig in the DLC that I forgot to get his weapon, so I suppose I ought to do that too at some point.) and Dark Souls I and II (on my old Xbox account though, so I've yet to play them on here, I totally should though right?). They are some really great games though, so whichever one you chose to go for first, I hope you have a great time with them.

• Like 2

On 23/09/2021 at 7:37 PM, KindaSabbath said:

Update

Oh man, that would bloody suck, and that's an understatement. I know what it's like to lose your data on games. From displacing memory cards on the PS2, to experiencing save corruptions... the feeling is gutting man... I can empathize with you mate.

When you saw 0% progress on Rising and Fusion, I can only imagine how that would've felt, but at least Fusion is still in-tact!
And on the bright side, I actually think there's a good opportunity here; at least replaying Rising can give you a fresh retrospective-- Maybe you could even write about your experiences of replaying each track and talking about your improvement after playing it a second time? I think that'd be an awesome commentary!

On 23/09/2021 at 7:37 PM, KindaSabbath said:

I'd like everybody to rally up and collectively give me a digital slap! 

Best I can do is a slap on the hand... Wait, they call this a "high five", don't they? ? (I'm hoping this joke is in good taste, just trying to lift your spirits!)

• Like 1

@det_gittes I must of missed your post yesterday! Well done on getting that pesky tandem trophy brother! Good to know my replays are still available on the leaderboards! 

The screen share issue explains why we couldn't get anywhere at all! 

Let me know how you find Death Stranding when you've got through it. The game is intriguing in general. 

On 24/09/2021 at 11:11 AM, Destructor-8 said:

Damn that isn't good & even more so that it's one of your favourite games. I'm sure you'll get through it again but even faster this time so hopefully it won't be long when you are back where you were before.

Appreciate that dude. To be fair I'm in a much better head space with it now. I've always got a great game to go back and play whenever my indecisive ass can't pick a new one. It's all good ?

22 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Especially when you're coming off of a bout of feeling unmotivated, that's the last shit you need.

Gotta make mistakes to learn from them though, right? 

Take a step back, enjoy the weekend with your family, and come back fresh and rejuvenated

That's exactly what I've ended up doing. Playtime was always gonna be limited this weekend but I opted to just chill instead. Needed to digest Little Nightmares.

Glad to hear about Little Nightmares catching your eye, though! Every time I see it on sale I think about it, but never go through with it. I'm glad you've landed a game that keeps your interest! Gaming malaise is a fuckin wack, and when something gets you goin again, it's a pretty underrated feeling!

You should totally get it bro. It's worth whatever price is on the store. Such a great little game. My review for it will be up either this evening or tomorrow. I've kept it spoiler free as much as possible. You're right though, such an underrated feeling when a game pulls you out of a bad spot. 

17 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I just want you to know - that I only put a rep point on that post because of your complete honesty in it - like you said, you didn't need to make that post at all. So the fact you did means you have a lot of integrity, not that I didn't already think that. Still, I was a little hesitant, because I thought - if I put a like on this he's going to think I'm happy about him losing his save file and progress.... Which I'm absolutely not.

Yo man, it's all good. I appreciate the kind words. I think it depends how you view those rep points... I use them and view them in my own way, kind of... I generally roam around the site dishing rep to the people who I respect the opinions of. So in a way, I'm not even "liking" or sometimes even agreeing with what they post, but simply showing that I respect their opinion and the time they've taken to post. Does that even make sense?

I'm really gutted to hear that man - I'm sorry that happened to you. I think I totally take the cloud save feature for granted these days myself, but now I've become so used to using it, I couldn't imagine a time where I didn't use it just for safety.

It's a cool feature. If not for it - I would of lost my Trials Fusion progress, too! Just a shame I had never purchased it before playing Fusion. 

I'm sure you'll be racing past all of your own previous track times, and giving them a nice big wave as you go driving past and smashing them into the ground like tent pegs.

Hahaha, I like it man. That is definitely my plan! 

It's awesome that you're planning on jumping into a FromSoftware title in the future - I've got fairly limited experience with those, I've played Bloodborne (I missed out on the 100%, that I've not gone back to because I spent so long laughing at Ludwig in the DLC that I forgot to get his weapon, so I suppose I ought to do that too at some point.) and Dark Souls I and II (on my old Xbox account though, so I've yet to play them on here, I totally should though right?). They are some really great games though, so whichever one you chose to go for first, I hope you have a great time with them.

17 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Maybe we should have a Souls play-through party?  I have them on my wishlist to play on Playstation (previously played, but not 100%ed, on Steam).

That could be fun

If anyone wants to join me by playing through the Souls games at the same time, let's go. I do plan to play them Solo so they can kick my ass a bit more, but, multiple checklists exchanging stories/tips/tricks and encouraging each other could be fucking rad. I'll be starting Sekiro hopefully within the next week. Just need to beat Limbo.

17 hours ago, popnheart said:

I'm so so sorry that happened, but I do want to commend you on Little Nightmares! I personally have been struggling with that trophy and its pretty bad ass that you managed it on your second try! 

Hey, thanks for dropping by my checklist. It's my own fault regarding the save file. As for Little Nightmares, appreciate it! I'll be putting my write up in here soon. I'll be including my speedrun with a couple of tips that you may or may not already know.

9 hours ago, Shrooba said:

the feeling is gutting man... I can empathize with you mate.

Thank you dude. Only one big idiot to blame though ?

Maybe you could even write about your experiences of replaying each track and talking about your improvement after playing it a second time?

Yeah thats the plan. I'll sprinkle a bit of Rising in-between other games and updates. Could be fun!

Best I can do is a slap on the hand... Wait, they call this a "high five", don't they? 1f60e.png (I'm hoping this joke is in good taste, just trying to lift your spirits!)

??? - all good man. High five was needed ?

• Like 2

@KindaSabbath Just dropping by to say that I finished Titanfall 2 yesterday, so feel free to go ahead and write your review.. You mentioned that you didn't want to before I'm done :)

Also, I'm now playing through Trials of the Blood Dragon. It's... an insult to Trials... But I knew that. My advice is to approach it as it if were something not related to Trials at all.. Or you'll have an even worse time ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KindaSabbath said:

Yo man, it's all good. I appreciate the kind words. I think it depends how you view those rep points... I use them and view them in my own way, kind of... I generally roam around the site dishing rep to the people who I respect the opinions of. So in a way, I'm not even "liking" or sometimes even agreeing with what they post, but simply showing that I respect their opinion and the time they've taken to post. Does that even make sense?

100%. Once again, get out of my head???

I think of it the exact same way. They're like little fist bumps, and as they say about holiday gifts, better to give than receive?

• Like 1

Just dropping by to say that I finished Titanfall 2 yesterday, so feel free to go ahead and write your review.. You mentioned that you didn't want to before I'm done :)

It's all written and ready to rock and roll. I may sit on it a little bit longer, though. 

This is a rare genre for you to put on your profile so I think myself and others are probably more looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Plus, I'm pretty excited to share my experience with Little Nightmares!

Also, I'm now playing through Trials of the Blood Dragon. It's... an insult to Trials... But I knew that. My advice is to approach it as it if were something not related to Trials at all.. Or you'll have an even worse time 1f602.png

Noted. Kind of what I expected to be totally honest. Although there was the smallest hope that you would say "it's actually fucking awesome, all the hate is uncalled for" etc... ? - ahh, one could dream. I'll still play it. I mean, there's a motorbike... and ramps and... stuff. Lol.

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

100%. Once again, get out of my head???

100% rent free, my dude ?

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

I think of it the exact same way. They're like little fist bumps, and as they say about holiday gifts, better to give than receive1f60e.png

No matter the situation in life... it's always better not to be on the receiving end of a fisting... irregardless. ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Completion #10 - Little Nightmares

Completjon #10 Little Nightmares

I'll be doing my best to review this game adhering to my newly developed review structure. So we will be looking at, and breaking down Little Nightmares in the following categories:

- Gameplay
- Music
- Visuals/Performance
- Story
- Challenge

Before we get into the meat of Little Nightmares (whatever that meat could be) -- what is Little Nightmares?
Little Nightmares, developed by Tarsier Studios and published by Bandai Namco: is a puzzle-platform horror adventure game that released for PC and consoles 28th April 2017, Switch just a smidge later.
The gameplay comprises of evading capture and solving puzzles to stay alive. Outside of your whits - you're pretty defenseless, with your only form of defense being how you traverse and interact with the environment.

Gameplay Overview:
This is actually a difficult category for Little Nightmares. To put it blunt and get straight to the point: it is a mediocre platformer at best with decent puzzles - but it's heart and soul is that of something so much more than just its gameplay. You play as a little girl called six, who has the fucking grabbing ability of those daylight robbery machines you will find at your local arcade; you can line it up, hit the buttons at the right time, but you're more than likely going to get a half arsed grab that will leave you feeling frustrated as the prize seemingly evades your perfectly timed effort... That said, let's tackle this section objectively.

Level Design:
Su-fucking-perb. Honestly, combining well structured level design with this games outstanding atmosphere just makes it all the more enjoyable. Traversing through the depths of the MAW is just plain fucking creepy - in the best possible way. Every locale is crafted with equal love from the developers. It's generally quite linear but you always feel like you have more options available to you than you actually do. It's not trying to be outrageously different or unique in its design, it nails that separately in its tone. Not a single complaint here from me!

Controls/Platforming:
In this little 2.5d world, you have very simple controls: multi-directional movement with the d-pad or left analogue stick, sprint with square, jump with X and grab with R2. You also have a lighter equiped by default that you can use by pressing circle which will help you navigate the darkest depths of the MAW. Now you can alternate between sprinting and jumping in an attempt to move a little quicker, but that's about as deep as it gets. It's got to be said; six has the stamina of an 87 year old man, which fits considering her grabbing ability. To be fair to her though, she's a pretty hungry little thing, so maybe she is malnourished and not operating at peak capacity.

Puzzles:
Little Nightmares puzzle element is well implemented. They're engaging, relatively creative and fit the games flow perfectly. The real fun is when you're ripping through the game, solving these puzzles at high speed (more on that aspect later). For the most part - I thoroughly enjoyed the puzzles. I never needed to look up a guide, so I would say that most importantly - they're not obnoxious and don't break the immersion by having to stop and look up a solution.

Little Nightmares scores 0.75 for Gameplay... Definitely it's least impressive area but in a way, I feel a bit harsh, still. Little Nightmares strength is in that of its overall charm and its character. Strange thing to say but to be honest - the cumbersome and janky controls actually fit its quirky and eerily beautiful personality.

Music:
Oh boy, the music for this game is pure fucking brilliance. Coming from somebody who listens primarily to heavy metal, the soundtrack for Little Nightmares is one that I cannot praise enough - which is saying something.

Composed by Tobias Lilja and Christian Vasselbring - the score is now amongst my favourites in video game history. These guys also developed the in-game sound design and credit to them, they did such an incredible job.  Fun fact: they also openly drew inspiration from Silent Hill II .

a personal stand out:

A quote from Tobias Lilja: "experimenting and listening to your feelings is important during the process of creation. If your music makes you scared, it is quite possible it will make others as well."

The entire soundtrack is one cohesive experience, there is no distinction between the sound design and the score. There is a HUGE range here, including beautiful yet haunting melodies inspired by children's nursery rhymes and music box's, the sharp grinding of metallic objects, frantic orchestral pieces that pick up through the games chase sequences, the sudden loud bellow from the foghorn of the MAW and to top it off - the tormented humming of both adults and children alike. This soundtrack has some fucking weight to it. It absolutely nails suspense, intrigue and gives off a gloomy and sinister undertone while proudly keeping its beauty intact.

A full point just doesn't do it justice here, but that's what it bags. Fucking phenomenal.

Visuals/Performance:
Now we're really getting to where Little Nightmares hits it stride. Let's first get the technical jargon out of the way..

On PlayStation 4 the game runs at 1080p/30fps

PlayStation 4 Pro - 1620p/60FPS target

As far as I could tell, PS5 is the same as PS4 Pro with the benefit of quicker load times and solid frame rate. Given that it reportedly holds 60fps 70% of the time on PS4 Pro.

Artistically: Little Nightmares is a masterpiece. The game is pulled straight from your childhood nightmares - you are a small child in a world designed for much bigger and stronger beings. The grotesque monsters that roam throughout the depths of the MAW, will hunt you down and fuck up your shit (mostly eat you), if you're not quick on your feet. 

The art design is sensational. The setting - a large underwater vessel where its inhabitants, which I could only describe as distorted, disfigured and grim... are all crafted beautifully. Dark and mysterious in its presentation, the clever use of lighting and particle effects add to the somehow childlike but still menacing aesthetic. The game visually pulls you in and creates one hell of an atmosphere. Another full point in this category, which still doesn't do it justice.

Story:
Consciously avoiding spoiler territory here, I will briefly give a vague description of the story, beginning with some of my thoughts. The story, in my opinion - is another seriously strong area for Little Nightmares. The beauty of it; my take on the story, and your take on the story, could be world's apart. The very way in which it is told, or isn't told at all for that matter... is fantastic. Everything is alluded to, a puzzle in its own right, and it's up to you to put the pieces together through exploring the lore-rich world in an attempt to uncover it's darkest secrets.

You are Six, a young girl who is clearly in a bad situation. You awake in the grimy depths of a huge iron vessel named the MAW. With nothing but a lighter and a bright yellow raincoat to your name - you must navigate your way through this terrifying vessel filled to the brim with gruesome and monstrous beings. You encounter other imprisoned children as you continuously try to evade capture. There is nowhere safe and the only option is to keep pushing forward. There is a ghostly geisha-like figure who seemingly heads this monstrosity of a place along with all of its inhabitants. Does she have the answers? There is only one way to find out!

Nothing less than a full point here from me.

Challenge:
Little Nightmares doesn't offer too much in this category - outside of its sometimes infuriating controls. The game overall is pretty straightforward, which I would say is of benefit to what it's trying to achieve. As I've already touched on; the puzzles are enjoyable but nothing that will stump you too hard. Avoiding becoming a snack to some fucking gnarly looking thick bois is relatively easy, too... considering the controls are very basic. It helps that the level design is pretty stellar.

Trophy wise - a few easy to find collectibles with a few miscellaneous ones thrown in for good measure. Nothing is of much note here. I'd say its a nice list and I fucking love the trophy descriptions, which are vague and mysterious but all very straightforward.

However, there is one trophy that's gonna ask a little bit more of you, just the one, but then, What’s different about you? Why are you so brave? - that trophy is: Hard to the Core. This one will require a deathless sub 1hr speedrun. Now some will say this trophy is out of place - to be fair to them, I've already shit on the controls as is - so it's a bit cheeky of the devs to ask this of you when getting six to respond to your inputs can be its very own Little Nightmare... I've gotta say though, I had a fucking blast going for this.

Little Nightmares strikes a lovely balance here with the majority of the game being easy - where it needs to be - to keep the immersion high. It's more of an atmospheric experience and a world to explore, so I don't feel as though a high level of challenge would be fitting here. There is however, that little cherry on top for people who like, well, fucking cherries 1f352.png... I'm dishing out another full point in this category!

Little Nightmares scores a very respectable 4.75/5. Truly a Little Gem in its own right. Plenty of character, even to the point where its biggest downfall actually fits its quirky nature. I love this game.

Enjoyment Rating: Fucking thought provokingly awesome
Difficulty Rating: 3/10

Below is my Hard to The Core run in its entirety. A few points to note, from what I could find before attempting:
- you can restart checkpoint before you fall or get grabbed, if you're quick. I don't think this saves time, but if you're going at a good pace, this can save a run.
- the timer freezes for load screens and I believe, for segments where you are not in control of six - don't panic if you're at or just past the 1hr mark toward the end.

During my run, I had to restart checkpoint 1 time because in typical Little Nightmares fashion - I was pulling a metal bar during a chase sequence, which is supposed to break. However, it wasn't gonna and I was gonna get grabbed. I restarted the checkpoint and did EXACTLY the same thing and it all panned out as it was supposed to. Overall it was a pretty clean run. Only issue I had was with the guardian of the first door handle AKA the first movable chair. Kinda shit the bed there for a couple seconds because I just wasn't paying attention.

To close, a quick note on DLC...
It's more of the same. More vagueness, more awesomeness, more of what I wanted in general. This time you take control of an equally useless little lad known as the Runnaway Kid. The 3 DLC levels for Little Nightmares comprise of 3 separate chapters to the main game, of which the paths intertwine. More running away from monsters, more searching for answers and more trying to escape this hell-in-water-of-a-shit-hole called the MAW. I feel as though the DLC and the main game fit together perfectly and really offer the definitive Little Nightmares experience.

Trophies are also very straightforward with the same structure as the main game, just this time no deathless speedrun. I couldn't possibly give my thoughts on these chapters and keep this review/write-up spoiler free. The closing sentiment here; Little Nightmares and its 3 expansions are all fantastic.

I think this is a excellent review of the game(as a write up and trophy hunting POV) I’m impressed actually because Little Nightmares is not the easiest game to describe due to the story being left mostly up to your imagination. Making talking about one of the games biggest strength rather difficult along with the core gameplay being very simple, while also being kinda unique and not easy to pin down.

Btw a fun little tid bit here, the 3rd DLC is obviously inspired from Resident Evil 1’s mansion.

• Like 2

Ah I see that you've unlocked some new lyricist skills ? Great review for both Trials and Little Nightmares my friend, keep on going.

To be honest I didn't know trophy checklists were a thing before randomly scrolling through your topic, you low key made me wanna start my own, but I assumed people wouldn't be as interested to follow up my trials and tribulations. 

Your love for Trials Fusion also kinda inspired me to start this game and give it my all to try and complete it, I might go for it rather sooner than later since I already own the game ?

So what's next for you ? What's the next game you're gonna tackle ? 

Edited by LosAngelesPride
  • Like 3

On 25/09/2021 at 9:01 PM, KindaSabbath said:

Completion #10 - Little Nightmares

Loved the write-up of Little Nightmares man - I can see through the cracks a little in-between the lines - you love the game for the atmosphere and the visuals, and the tone is so fantastically well done that it becomes difficult when assessing specific elements of the gameplay itself.

The fact is, Little Nightmares - from a purely mechanical point of view - is pretty straightforward. Certainly, the exact same gameplay, in a less visually stunning, tonally consistent or creepy and macabre game would probably end up being a very forgettable and unengaging game. Lets face it, the puzzles are not really difficult, the controls are a little wobbly at times, and the actual player input isn't hugely complex or nuanced.... HOWEVER... literally none of that matters, when the investment is so strong, the visuals are so good, and your stomach churns every time one of the enemies flinches or catches wind of Six!

The fact the games are so mechanically simple, I think actually benefited them enormously. If the player was constantly stopping, scratching their head and trying so solve more convoluted puzzles, or having to complete particularly difficulty platforming sections or combat or something, what would be lost is the driving atmosphere - it would end up draining away the elements it does best - and that distinguish it from lesser games. (Actually, if there is ever a moment where it that begins to cause an issue, for me, it was the mannequins in LNII with the torch - once you fail the same section multiple times, and it becomes just about mechanically trying the same section over and over, it loses some steam, and man - did I fail over and over at that part!)

To me, the games are a perfect lesson in how concentrating on one element in a game can really counteract any perceived or potential 'deficiencies' in other areas - by working so much on the atmosphere of these games, and having it pay off so well, they more than alleviate any lack of challenge or mechanical simplicity.  Actually, having the gameplay be more simple and easy to pick up, means they get to show off their strongest suits to more players. MsBloodmoney has played through both these games now, and liked both very much - and I know she never would have seen them through to the end if they were much more traditionally 'challenging' games - just playing with the lights off and headphones on and not getting creeped out is challenge enough ?

• Like 2

On 26/09/2021 at 8:47 AM, Wild-Arms-R said:

I think this is a excellent review of the game(as a write up and trophy hunting POV) I’m impressed actually because Little Nightmares is not the easiest game to describe due to the story being left mostly up to your imagination. Making talking about one of the games biggest strength rather difficult along with the core gameplay being very simple, while also being kinda unique and not easy to pin down.

Btw a fun little tid bit here, the 3rd DLC is obviously inspired from Resident Evil 1’s mansion.

Thank you mate! Yeah, Little Nightmares is not the easiest one to pin down. Glad you enjoyed the write-up. It's such an awesome little game. Sits very high on my list of indie gems.

Regarding RE1 - never thought of that. Nice observation ?

On 26/09/2021 at 0:23 PM, LosAngelesPride said:

Ah I see that you've unlocked some new lyricist skills 1f601.png Great review for both Trials and Little Nightmares my friend, keep on going.

Appreciate that mate! Yeah, I've been stepping out of my comfort zone and putting in a but more effort with the review side of things. A bit rough around the edges but I'll get there!

To be honest I didn't know trophy checklists were a thing before randomly scrolling through your topic, you low key made me wanna start my own, but I assumed people wouldn't be as interested to follow up my trials and tribulations. 

Thanks for the kind words! You should definitely start your own. I would follow along, as many others would, no hesitation. Its a pretty special little corner of the website we've got going over here. I'm happy to be apart of it and I 100% encourage anyone who's on the fence about starting their own thread - do it!

Your love for Trials Fusion also kinda inspired me to start this game and give it my all to try and complete it, I might go for it rather sooner than later since I already own the game 1f60b.png

Again, do it! You won't regret it. I'm pretty confident in saying that; anyone who is willing to put their all in on the Trials games will go on to complete them. It's a very rewarding experience. People like myself and the others you've seen in my thread who have beat the games - wouldn't hesitate to be in your corner and encourage/support you throughout your journey. Feel free to fire me a FR if you want some ghosts to race with!

So what's next for you ? What's the next game you're gonna tackle ? 

Next will likely be Limbo to wrap up Tier 1 for the Ultra Rare Clean Up. After that, I've got my sights set on Sekiro before tackling the rest of the Soulsborne games. Will need to juggle with a few UR games in-between to keep making progress over there. 

2 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Checklists are my favorite threads. We've got Vanquish and Titanfall 2 in common, and those are both truly excellent games. Sorry if you've said recently here but what's next?

My favourite too, no question. Vanquish is incredible! One of my favourite shooters for sure!

Well outside of the bits I've mentioned above, I'm thinking of how to keep things spicy in here so I have a few ideas. I definitely need a new Trials Sized mountain to climb. 

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Loved the write-up of Little Nightmares man - I can see through the cracks a little in-between the lines - you love the game for the atmosphere and the visuals, and the tone is so fantastically well done that it becomes difficult when assessing specific elements of the gameplay itself.

Hey man, I really appreciate this coming from yourself. I'm glad you can see what I loved the most about Little Nightmares. I'm working hard on my write-up game, which will get better with time.

The fact is, Little Nightmares - from a purely mechanical point of view - is pretty straightforward. Certainly, the exact same gameplay, in a less visually stunning, tonally consistent or creepy and macabre game would probably end up being a very forgettable and unengaging game. Lets face it, the puzzles are not really difficult, the controls are a little wobbly at times, and the actual player input isn't hugely complex or nuanced.... HOWEVER... literally none of that matters, when the investment is so strong, the visuals are so good, and your stomach churns every time one of the enemies flinches or catches wind of Six!

Agree completely. If Tarsier hadn't nailed the overall atmosphere of the game, with such a unique and terrifyingly gorgeous aesthetic - the games flaws would of seen it fall flat on its face. But not only did they nail those elements, they did it in such a way - that the game stands out amongst the very best of its kind... I really feel that because of this - the word "flaw" gets a pass as "quirky" and I genuinely wouldn't change anything about it.

This could be an unpopular opinion but the speedrun would not have been nearly as exciting if the controls were actually tight. Almost like you had to aim to be more than perfect to account for the games shortcomings. 

The fact the games are so mechanically simple, I think actually benefited them enormously. If the player was constantly stopping, scratching their head and trying so solve more convoluted puzzles, or having to complete particularly difficulty platforming sections or combat or something, what would be lost is the driving atmosphere - it would end up draining away the elements it does best - and that distinguish it from lesser games. (Actually, if there is ever a moment where it that begins to cause an issue, for me, it was the mannequins in LNII with the torch - once you fail the same section multiple times, and it becomes just about mechanically trying the same section over and over, it loses some steam, and man - did I fail over and over at that part!)

I feel the same way. When playing through Little Nightmares II - I felt that adding combat was the only poor choice in an otherwise fantastic game. I genuinely think that's why there is no Even Harder to the Core trophy. They knew it wouldn't work. Far too cumbersome (again, lets just say quirky) to be dealing with any kind of precise timing. I'm thinking more of those little bastards in the school.

To me, the games are a perfect lesson in how concentrating on one element in a game can really counteract any perceived or potential 'deficiencies' in other areas - by working so much on the atmosphere of these games, and having it pay off so well, they more than alleviate any lack of challenge or mechanical simplicity.  Actually, having the gameplay be more simple and easy to pick up, means they get to show off their strongest suits to more players. MsBloodmoney has played through both these games now, and liked both very much - and I know she never would have seen them through to the end if they were much more traditionally 'challenging' games - just playing with the lights off and headphones on and not getting creeped out is challenge enough 1f602.png

That is the takeaway from my whole review. The very things that would crush most games, actually elevate Little Nightmares to greater heights - because its strengths are so strong, that consciously making it more accessible and removing any unnecessary distractions/frustrations - just allow you to become more immersed in its fantastically creepy world. 

But there's a little challenge in the first for people who enjoy getting mad at videogames ? - which just makes it even sweeter.

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Hey man, I really appreciate this coming from yourself. I'm glad you can see what I loved the most about Little Nightmares. I'm working hard on my write-up game which will get better with time.

Oh - dude - I just reread that, and that's not at all what I meant! ?

Sorry, I really loved the write up, I didn't mean to imply anything else - there's no improvement needed here! - I just meant I could feel your love for the game pushing through the whole thing, is all - I think you and I are in lock step on the Little Nightmares games - I can't believe it took me so long to discover the first one!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Nice work on completing Little Nightmares! There's a cool juxtaposition artistically with Six wearing a colourful raincoat as opposed to the bleak browns of the musty cupboards and withered floorboards, and especially the attire of the others in the Maw. In times where there is prominent lighting, it's done so to emphasize and put more bluntly on display the hopelessness around you. I especially think the hues of blue in the more open sections make Six's yellow pop even more. 

Interestingly enough, the bright light as you leave is the same yellow as Six, correlating with that same sense of freedom, I think. Interesting how the brightness of the lighting in the other places is used to reinforce a sense of isolation, whereas that final light symbolizes an escape to a new life of sorts.

31 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Well outside of the bits I've mentioned above, I'm thinking of how to keep things spicy in here so I have a few ideas. I definitely need a new Trials Sized mountain to climb. 

When it comes to a new mountainous game for you to conquer, based on your backlog, I'd personally say Wolfenstein 2 fits the bill. The Mein Leben trophy is no joke, and it'll take tons of attempts. That, I think, fits the same trial-and-error learning experience you had with Trials. Plus it'd be cool to see your thoughts and remarks on each attempt as you slowly push further and further in your runs!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Hey man, I really appreciate this coming from yourself. I'm glad you can see what I loved the most about Little Nightmares. I'm working hard on my write-up game, which will get better with time.

Agree completely. If Tarsier hadn't nailed the overall atmosphere of the game, with such a unique and terrifyingly gorgeous aesthetic - the games flaws would of seen it fall flat on its face. But not only did they nail those elements, they did it in such a way - that the game stands out amongst the very best of its kind... I really feel that because of this - the word "flaw" gets a pass as "quirky" and I genuinely wouldn't change anything about it.

This could be an unpopular opinion but the speedrun would not have been nearly as exciting if the controls were actually tight. Almost like you had to aim to be more than perfect to account for the games shortcomings. 

I feel the same way. When playing through Little Nightmares II - I felt that adding combat was the only poor choice in an otherwise fantastic game. I genuinely think that's why there is no Even Harder to the Core trophy. They knew it wouldn't work. Far too cumbersome (again, lets just say quirky) to be dealing with any kind of precise timing. I'm thinking more of those little bastards in the school.

That is the takeaway from my whole review. The very things that would crush most games, actually elevate Little Nightmares to greater heights - because its strengths are so strong, that consciously making it more accessible and removing any unnecessary distractions/frustrations - just allow you to become more immersed in its fantastically creepy world. 

But there's a little challenge in the first for people who enjoy getting mad at videogames 1f602.png - which just makes it even sweeter.

Your probably gonna have a problem finding something high like to climb with rough terrain to boot.

By completing Trials so early you put your standards way to high.

But it’s better that way right? 

10 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Nice work on completing Little Nightmares! There's a cool juxtaposition artistically with Six wearing a colourful raincoat as opposed to the bleak browns of the musty cupboards and withered floorboards, and especially the attire of the others in the Maw. In times where there is prominent lighting, it's done so to emphasize and put more bluntly on display the hopelessness around you. I especially think the hues of blue in the more open sections make Six's yellow pop even more. 

Interestingly enough, the bright light as you leave is the same yellow as Six, correlating with that same sense of freedom, I think. Interesting how the brightness of the lighting in the other places is used to reinforce a sense of isolation, whereas that final light symbolizes an escape to a new life of sorts.

When it comes to a new mountainous game for you to conquer, based on your backlog, I'd personally say Wolfenstein 2 fits the bill. The Mein Leben trophy is no joke, and it'll take tons of attempts. That, I think, fits the same trial-and-error learning experience you had with Trials. Plus it'd be cool to see your thoughts and remarks on each attempt as you slowly push further and further in your runs!

Ill 2nd this, but I don’t think he’ll struggle to much, he seems pretty solid at video games.

• Like 2

Yeah Vanquish is a rush, and even the stupid collectibles weren't too tedious which is a serious accomplishment honestly. I see on the front page that you mention games like Furi, or Nex Machina. I haven't done Furi yet, it's also on my list, but I can safely say Nex Machina will get your blood pumping. If I missed something between the first and 10th page I apologize but yeah I'd recommend Nex Machina

• Like 3

On 25/09/2021 at 9:01 PM, KindaSabbath said:

Little Nightmares strikes a lovely balance here with the majority of the game being easy - where it needs to be - to keep the immersion high. It's more of an atmospheric experience and a world to explore, so I don't feel as though a high level of challenge would be fitting here. There is however, that little cherry on top for people who like, well, fucking cherries 1f352.png... I'm dishing out another full point in this category!

Little Nightmares scores a very respectable 4.75/5. Truly a Little Gem in its own right. Plenty of character, even to the point where its biggest downfall actually fits its quirky nature. I love this game.

Enjoyment Rating: Fucking thought provokingly awesome
Difficulty Rating: 3/1

This review was fantastic dude. I don't really know much about this game but your write up really explained the game brilliantly as well as being just great to read. I as always really like how you do your ratings, especially the enjoyment ratings lol. I'm still so used to just reading Trials stuff here, but it's not Trials lol. I'm looking forward to the next review as you are getting through these games well.

4 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Checklists are my favorite threads. We've got Vanquish and Titanfall 2 in common, and those are both truly excellent games. Sorry if you've said recently here but what's next?

Yeah this part of the site is great. I hope to do Vanquish soon after I finish a few more games so I'm expecting it to be a great challenge since I've heard so much about it, so will be good to finally try it out. I noticed your on Armored Core actually, damn not many people seem to know about that game series anymore. That series has always been really hard as I played one of the recent ones & was able to get the Rank S stuff but it's one of the games that I can't finish even after doing it. I'm not sure if getting all Rank S on one of the games would be useful going into Vanquish since Armored Core is the only game that seems similar, not sure if it is though.

32 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Yeah Vanquish is a rush, and even the stupid collectibles weren't too tedious which is a serious accomplishment honestly. I see on the front page that you mention games like Furi, or Nex Machina. I haven't done Furi yet, it's also on my list, but I can safely say Nex Machina will get your blood pumping. If I missed something between the first and 10th page I apologize but yeah I'd recommend Nex Machina

I have Furi to do as well as I've heard that's a great game to do, so should be a good fun one. I've heard about Nex Machina a lot recently & not decided if I will get that one, although if it's worth doing then I might have a go at it. I wanna do Furi soon so I'll probably look up a bit more about Nex Machina if it's good.

• Like 1

@Destructor-8 wow man your profile is pretty crazy. @CelestialRequiem check this out. Anyway yeah I haven't even REALLY started doing the S ranks in ACVD, and even worse than that is going to be the hardcore mode, so good luck to me lol. That's ok I'll get it done, the game is awesome. I would highly recommend you look into Nex Machina, it is Housemarque's best game in my opinion. I haven't played the ps5 game which funnily enough I can't even remember its name right now.