Tales of Zestiria Announced for PlayStation 3

Parker

For those anticipating another Takes game, Namco just announced the latest game in the series called Tales of Zestiria

Today, at a special event in Japan, Namco Bandai revealed an all-new Tales game. It’s called Tales of Zestiria, and it’s coming to PlayStation 3, presumably in 2014. Only a Japanese release has been confirmed so far; we’re still awaiting word on if and when Tales of Zestiria will also be released in the west.

Tales of Zestiria has been teased by Namco Bandai for a few weeks. The large Japanese developer and publisher opened up a teaser website in late November, chronicling the Tales series’ two decade history while promising an exciting announcement. Tales of Zestiria is that announcement, one first referenced in trademarks found this past summer.

tales.jpg

Via NeoGAF.

The Tales series of JRPGs began in 1995 when Tales of Phantasia came to Super Famicom. Tales made its western debut in 1998 with Tales of Destiny on the original PlayStation, and its most popular western release was Tales of Symphonia, which came to GameCube in 2004.

Tales has recently seen renewed popularity in the west, with the release of the great Tales of Xillia, which came to PS3 in 2011 (in Japan) and 2013 (in the west). Good sales convinced Namco Bandai to announce Tales of Symphonia Chronicles – HD remakes of Symphonia and its sequel – which comes to PS3 in early 2014, as well as Xillia’s sequel, Tales of Xillia 2, which also launches in 2014.

Source: IGN 

Anyone looking forward to this one? 

Parker

• Like 3

Day 1 Import for me!

I'm liking the female protagonist (spear user!), not so sure about the male protagonist's design (is he fighting with a dagger?).  Hopefully he'll grow on me as I see more pictures/PVs and get more info.

I'm looking forward to the battle system, especially since it looks like it'll be similar to Graces :)

Edited by Raine_Evenstar

Glad im keeping my PS3s for these types of occasions

I wish they would have the optional PS4 port or have it at least downloadable on PS4 because its getting harder and harder top pick up that Dualshock 3... but i will for sure own any Tales game that comes to North America!

• Like 1

2014 will be the year of Tales!! Though i doubt they will finish Zestiria in time to release at the end of next year, i'm still just happy knowing its around the corner after i finish Symphonia HD and Xillia 2. ^_^

I absoulutely love the Tales series, but Namco is a slug when it comes to localization. Still waiting on Xillia 2 for next year. Which was released last year in Japan.

I'm hoping the fact that this is the first Tales title to be announced in both Japan and NA at the same time means they are working on localizing it much earlier than previous games. So the wait between the japanese and NA release might be more like with Square Enix games, with just 2 or 3 months between. :)

Edited by Ryumoau
  • Like 1

Glad im keeping my PS3s for these types of occasions

I wish they would have the optional PS4 port or have it at least downloadable on PS4 because its getting harder and harder top pick up that Dualshock 3... but i will for sure own any Tales game that comes to North America!

Not sure if you knew this, but you can also use the Dualshock 4 controller on ps3. You just have to keep it wired to the ps3 using the usb charge cable. The buttons work almost identical to the dualshock 3, except the share button operates as the 'Select'. Only downside is that the 'PS' button doesn't work at all for some weird reason, so you can't access the XMB menu once you enter a game. I just use my regular ps3 controller for that.

So far the few games i've tried have worked with the controller including CoD ghosts, Dynasty Warriors 8, and Kingdom Hearts HD. I'm sure most other games will also work.

• Like 1

Not sure if you knew this, but you can also use the Dualshock 4 controller on ps3. You just have to keep it wired to the ps3 using the usb charge cable. The buttons work almost identical to the dualshock 3, except the share button operates as the 'Select'. Only downside is that the 'PS' button doesn't work at all for some weird reason, so you can't access the XMB menu once you enter a game. I just use my regular ps3 controller for that.

So far the few games i've tried have worked with the controller including CoD ghosts, Dynasty Warriors 8, and Kingdom Hearts HD. I'm sure most other games will also work.

You can use use a PS4 Controller (DualShock 4) on PS3 for many games. 

1.) Connect the DualShock 4 to your PS3, by attaching the controller to it's charge-cable, then plugging the USB end into one of your PS3's USB ports. 

2.) Turn 'on' your PS3, wait for it to bootup to the XMB, and then hit the 'Home' button on your PS4 Controller.

3.) There you go! Your ready to play PS3 games with a PS4 Controller.

-----

The only caviate: The Dual Shock 4 doesn't work with every game. It does work with most physical copies tho. PS1/2 games, and many digital games wouldn't work tho (some work however, Crysis is AWESOME with it). Plus, you may want to buy a longer PS4 USB charge cable later on.

I actually meant that as rhetorical... I used the DualShock 4 for Tales of Xillia because i got the controller early...

what i meant was i would love to play all these games on the PS4 instead... I still have a ton of PS3 games so i will not be done with it any time soon but pulling myself away from the PS4 has been hard because its still so new...

I already plan on playing Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2 because i LOVED Symphonia!  and of course i will get Xillia 2 because the first one was so amazing!

also... i need to keep my Tales platinum streak going, lol  :)

• Like 2

I'm hoping the fact that this is the first Tales title to be announced in both Japan and NA at the same time means they are working on localizing it much earlier than previous games. So the wait between the japanese and NA release might be more like with Square Enix games, with just 2 or 3 months between. :)

You might be right. IGN tried to reach out to Namco on word of localization. Instead of getting the usual "We have nothing to announce at this time". They got this instead:

Good news: Namco Bandai has confirmed that Tales of Zestiria will be coming to North America and Europe!

That was fast. When I read it, My face felt like o_0. I don't think I've ever seen a brand new Tales game get announced for Japan and have localization confirmed on the same day. Edited by blue_flare9001
  • Like 1

I actually meant that as rhetorical... I used the DualShock 4 for Tales of Xillia because i got the controller early...

what i meant was i would love to play all these games on the PS4 instead... I still have a ton of PS3 games so i will not be done with it any time soon but pulling myself away from the PS4 has been hard because its still so new...

I already plan on playing Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2 because i LOVED Symphonia!  and of course i will get Xillia 2 because the first one was so amazing!

also... i need to keep my Tales platinum streak going, lol  :)

oh, i see. lol. I agree, if it were possible to just port these games to ps4 i'd take that. Luckily for me, there isn't many games on ps4 right now that makes me need to play on ps4 exclusively. But when games like Infamous comes out early next year, i can see myself on the ps4 alot more often. I hate having to switch between Infamous and Symphonia HD, since i think they come out close to each other. Would be awesome to have them on the same system.

Well I can't see this game coming out anytime soon in the west but Tales of Symphonia Chronicles comes out in 3 months. That'll keep me entertained for the next 50 years.

Yeah Symphonia took me 90 hours to complete my first playthrough on gamecube. I ended up going through the game at least 4 times. Can't wait to get back into it, this time with the extra motivation of trophies and the ps2 content we never saw in NA. :)

• Like 1

This is great news! I'm actually hoping that announcing it for both Japan and the Western markets at the same time is a good sign for us, and we should see a smaller time difference between regions :)

In the meantime, I'll enjoy Tales of Xillia 2 and I'll play Symphonia for the 294375483th time (and I'll love it!)

• Like 2

Yeah Symphonia took me 90 hours to complete my first playthrough on gamecube. I ended up going through the game at least 4 times. Can't wait to get back into it, this time with the extra motivation of trophies and the ps2 content we never saw in NA. :)

It was the first Tales of game I ever played and my personal favorite in the series. Took me about 90 - 100 hrs to complete, I done it multiple times and I loved every minute^^. :)

• Like 1