Third Party PS4 Controller

dakk55

Should I get a Third Party Controller?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get a Third Party Controller?

• Yeah, save your money!
    • Filthy peasant, buy the official DS4.
    • Git Gud, keep using your broken controller!

I'm currently looking around for a suitable PS4 controller as I still have the original DS4 that came with the console years ago. I noticed that in some places, the stock Sony DS4 is still expensive. And I'm a bit finicky when using Third-Party controllers or "Refurbished" controllers as they are often prone to problems. So, I'm wondering if anyone here on PSN Profiles can recommend a Third Party controller that won't instantly break down within 6 months.

On 8/14/2021 at 0:53 PM, dakk55 said:

I'm currently looking around for a suitable PS4 controller as I still have the original DS4 that came with the console years ago. I noticed that in some places, the stock Sony DS4 is still expensive. And I'm a bit finicky when using Third-Party controllers or "Refurbished" controllers as they are often prone to problems. So, I'm wondering if anyone here on PSN Profiles can recommend a Third Party controller that won't instantly break down within 6 months.

if you are looking for an affordable third party controller, I recommend you PICTEK

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-ps4-controller/

71sVkbHuFKL.jpg

+ Build Quality

+ Longer battery life

+ Good for all games

- Small in hand, maybe my hand is big

HORI FPS is good but will disappoint in certain games

Edited by DaivRules

Save your Money. The only use for a Third Party Controller that are cheaper than Standard DS4. is as a 2nd Player controller for trophies.

Have a crap $10 one, and it is all right. (No Mic, Fully Wired). A bit stiff,but suitable as wooden muppet in fighting games.

------

DS4 may reduce in price during specific days (Days of Play, Black Friday and etc)

Edited by Kishnabe

6 minutes ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

My advice is to the OP is to stick with a legit Dualshock, unless you are after a specific feature like a turbo or a fight stick etc. 

I have to re-explain it, since @DaivRules deleted my posts (and now you've edited you post, but you were confused on the triggers, for those who are reading this), but the triggers on the HORI controller are analogue, just like the ones on the DS4. They behave in the exact same way and are not digital. 

Just now, CelestialRequiem said:

I have to re-explain it, since @DaivRules deleted my posts (and now you've edited you post, but you were confused on the triggers, for those who are reading this), but the triggers on the HORI controller are analogue, just like the ones on the DS4. They behave in the exact same way and are not digital. 

I'm sorry. I thought it made more sense to just remove something I said that might be inaccurate and just address the OP's question. I think there is confusion in this thread surrounding the terms "digital" and "analog." You were 100% correct that these are analog buttons. I think the point they were trying to make is about pressure sensitivity on the trigger buttons. I personally don't think the L2 and R2 buttons are pressure sensitive, but I found an article that directly contradicted me when I was double-checking myself. Then other articles and reddit posts that contradict that. From my gameplay experience though, i'll say I don't think the Horipad would change the experience at all, even with a racing game. 

2 minutes ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

I'm sorry. I thought it made more sense to just remove something I said that might be inaccurate and just address the OP's question. I think there is confusion in this thread surrounding the terms "digital" and "analog." You were 100% correct that these are analog buttons. I think the point they were trying to make is about pressure sensitivity on the trigger buttons. I personally don't think the L2 and R2 buttons are pressure sensitive, but I found an article that directly contradicted me when I was double-checking myself. Then other articles and reddit posts that contradict that. From my gameplay experience though, i'll say I don't think the Horipad would change the experience at all, even with a racing game. 

It's all good. 

Really, it's on Sony for implementing such a system, and how developers utilize it is a little inconsistent. For example, Dragon's Dogma on PS4 required you to push down on the triggers pretty significantly before you will finally put your shield up. So this controller in that instance, can be weird to use. 

Nintendo's triggers are digital (which, in my opinion, is the right way to go) so Dragon's Dogma on Switch does not have this issue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

This is what I meant in my first reply ... am  not referring to analog or digital

I have Hori fps.

it's not good for racing games and games that have a bow mechanic which you need to control the distance of target hit because R2 is a button like R1. 

I'd get either the DS4, Hori, or Nacon. Hori's controller is officially licensed by Sony, as is Nacon. Don't risk it with knockoff brands like Oubang, Donop, and Augex.

Amazon.com: - NACON Wired Compact Control : Electronics

$48 is better than what DS4s are running at the moment. A couple caveats: it does lose the light bar, motion sensor, and built in speaker. You can't use it wirelessly (No problem for me, since I keep my controllers plugged in). One reviewer complains that the sticks are a bit tighter, but YMMV. I'd think the sticks being tighter would allow more precision. Looks tempting.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1