Corrupted Data

Beast_Mode255

Anyone else randomly get your saved data corrupted? I just did, lost all of my progress on Nightmare and have to start over now. Just wondering because I was streaming when it happened and someone was in my chat telling me that they read it's happened to other people as well, and I really hope it's not something that has a decent chance of happening again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beast_Mode255 said:

Anyone else randomly get your saved data corrupted? I just did, lost all of my progress on Nightmare and have to start over now. Just wondering because I was streaming when it happened and someone was in my chat telling me that they read it's happened to other people as well, and I really hope it's not something that has a decent chance of happening again. 

it might be mate as yeah Bethesda games always have this kind of problem

Yes, it happened to me twice, both the time when I tried to load a saved file just when i died. It happened just at the very end of the final episode of Dimension of the Machine on Nightmare difficulty!! 3 hours lost because of it. I decided to copy on my USB pen the data every time I completed an episode because of this! 

• Like 1

i never played the original quake so im looking forward to this, hafta get the old pen drives out and make backups of my backups cuz this shit sounds bad, still gonna do it though. here's hoping quake 2 comes out and they fix this shit because that game is amazing. same for quake 4 that had a great story, more of a re-imagining then a true sequel still great though.

• Like 1

Happened to me twice. And both times I've realized when trying to load the save after I died.

The good news is that saves are still there! All you have to do when that happens is restart the application - at this point all saves will be listed again in the load menu.

Do not try to create a new save when that happens! This will corrupt the slot that you used when overwriting.  

Edited by Sadmannn
mispelling
  • Like 2

Had mine corrupt right after finishing Dissolution of Eternity Episode 1 and I wasn't able to recover it like Sadmannn. Fortunately however the Nightmare trophy still popped just fine by only doing Episode 2, so to save yourself some effort you can do Episode 1 on a lower difficulty.

• Like 1

Had this happen a few times before I got the plat. The error message said something about too many saves and it seemed to happen in A: longer play sessions where I was quick saving often across multiple levels. And B: in especially long levels like in the new expansion Dimension of the Machine.

After losing quite a bit of progress multiple times I ended up just quitting and backing up my save after every level in the normal campaign and the original 3 expansions and then after having it corrupt twice halfway through single levels in the last expansion I just decided to play it safe and would check my kill count and quit and upload my save every 75 kills or so during the final expansion.

4 hours ago, drlight66 said:

The game just received a 1.02 patch, but that was to fix a "multiplayer stability issue", so hopefully the devs are aware of this save corruption bug and can figure it out soon and fix it with the next patch.  

Just got my save corrupted on 1.02 so the bug still lingers if anyone was wondering.

Happened to me during a quick load, got a message saying something about 'too many files' or something. No idea if it has to do with saves or the code running in the background. I had two manual saves and a quicksave.

Game prompts corruption during boot and while trying to quick load, even my settings got reverted to default.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Im on the 2nd expansion and i havent had any corrupted saves yet. I only once quick saved by accident but other than that ive been manual saving my game and quitting out every 2nd level or so to upload my save to the cloud.

My guess is that the memory cache gets corrupted when it registers too many saves in a single session and cant keep up with it. Clearly a bug in the code somewhere but thats what im guessing is happening.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's the exact same issue as some people here, but on the PS5 version at least I had my game crash every time upon trying to load a save, forcing me to delete the save data and start again. This happened at the latter end of both episode 1 and episode 2 which seemed irritating and wondered whether it was to do with the saving too many times until I realised something. The saves started having issues specifically upon starting Gloom Keep (E1M5) and Wizard's Manse (E2M5).

Now, when I redid those two episodes again, I didn't have any further problems at all, and there was only one difference in my second runs in both cases: the secret levels, both of which exit into E1M5 and E2M5 respectively. I skipped them second time around. So, I then decided to run through E3 and E4, and then Dimension of the Past without entering any of the secret levels and I have had no further issues with the saves failing or crashing my game at all. I have also not patched the game since I started I believe, so I don't think it's been fixed during my playtime, which leads me to believe that simply accessing the secret levels seems to break something somewhere. 

The only trophies that require those levels are from simply entering them, so you can just level select back to the maps with the exits to the secrets and run through on Easy afterwards. I don't know whether entering a secret level in the main game would then cause issues with the expansions though, I just deleted my save after I got the trophies from the main game before I went onto the extra campaigns just to be sure.

Edited by Seasonreaper
More info

• 7 months later...
On 24/8/2021 at 7:33 AM, MonsterCondo said:

It happened me once, I recommend that when you finish a level, do a manual save, exit the game and upload your save data in the cloud or in a USB.

It's really frustrating. ¬_¬ 

Gonna do this, thanks.

On 13/10/2021 at 1:10 AM, drlight66 said:

PS4 version should* have the save file corruption bug fixed in the next update as it was detailed in the release blog for UPDATE 1

Can anyone confirm if this update fixed the issue?

• 3 weeks later...

Beyond irritated. Just finished dissolution of eternity episode 1 on nightmare and the damn trophy won’t pop. Really hoping if I finish episode 2 I will get the nightmare trophy and then I can go back in episode 1 and finish it on easier mode and it’ll pop

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 16/06/2022 at 7:32 AM, TheShape93 said:

Beyond irritated. Just finished dissolution of eternity episode 1 on nightmare and the damn trophy won’t pop. Really hoping if I finish episode 2 I will get the nightmare trophy and then I can go back in episode 1 and finish it on easier mode and it’ll pop

On 09/05/2023 at 4:33 AM, kevin8r1977 said:

I just had the same happen. Did your guess and solution work?

Sounds to me that this game will be another one which will taste my patience - good thing that's one of my major assets.?

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:06 AM, Jhante_Brown said:

Can anyone confirm if this update fixed the issue?

I just finished the game and I didn't experience any crashes. While I initially did a few main campaign missions in one go (I still backed up my save every 2-3 missions), once I reached the DLC I saved after each one, then quit to the main meny and backed up the two saves I used.

It might be as Ulven said and quitting after a mission helps mitigating the problem, but should of course not be seen as completley safe.

It might also be worth noting that I did all secrets first as a precaution and I then deleted all saves afterwards before starting over. I also never entered a secret portal after that.

• 2 months later...