Should I go for the platinum or should I pass?

SoliDeoGloriaIHS

I bought and started GTA V (PS4) a few years back.  I took about 2 1/2 years off from gaming and even sold all of my PS consoles - PS3, PS Vita and PS4 - almost 3 years ago.  Back in January, I bought a PS3 again and got back to gaming and followed that with buying a Vita in February and a brand new 1tb PS4 in March or April so I'm back to gaming and trophy hunting.  The real problem for me is time.  I am married now to a wonderful woman.  I have a fulltime job and often work more than 40 hours.  I have responsibilities around the home - chores, shopping, running errands like most everyone - and to extended family.  I also already divide my gaming time between all three platforms.  I am currently playing and working towards the platinum for three games - Uncharted 4 on the 4, Wet on the 3 and Hotline: Miami on the Vita.  I am by no means an OCD 100% conpletionist so I have no intention of ever wanting or going for the 100% for GTA V, but it would be nice to someday have earned that nice, shiny platinum.  The thing is besides my limited time to play and the fact that I am already working on three other games, I have read that GTA V can be a pain to platinum.  Besides the HUGE time commitment (both for the story and the huge online grind), I have read in the guides that there are quite a few missable trophies as well as a couple of glitchy trophies that don't pop when they should.  Still, it is a pretty prestigious platinum to earn.  So, basically, I'm just asking for people's opinions here on what I should do.  I realize at the end of the day, it'll be my decision, but just looking for some extra input.  Thank you all for reading this and any advice or input any of you have to offer.  Be well! ?

• Like 2

The Platinum isn’t too bad. It’s the DLC trophies that are the biggest pain.

The main issue you’ll have for the Platinum is the online grind to reach Rank 100 however there’s a lot of variety in how you can do that and even in solo sessions there’s online collectibles on the map, milestone medals (steal X number of cars etc) and a quite enjoyable Golf mini-game that all net a decent amount of XP and can be played solo.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 2

When someone asks if they should do something, I ask, do you want to?

If so, go for it.  If you are not feeling it, come back to it later or pass altogether.

If you are having fun, then go for it.  This game is one so many ppl like but you have to decide if you want it.

• Like 3

I've been playing this game since 2014.  Yes, it is a blast, especially if you are in a crew that likes to get together and do stuff.  The heists can be a nightmare is all I can say.  But, it a plat isn't important to you, definitely jump in the single player and do the online.  I'd not put too much emphasis on the DLC stuff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kfree7 said:

When someone asks if they should do something, I ask, do you want to?

If so, go for it.  If you are not feeling it, come back to it later or pass altogether.

If you are having fun, then go for it.  This game is one so many ppl like but you have to decide if you want it.

☝️This!  I've always said, "Fun first, platinum second."  The little bit that I've played of it (plus or minus 15 hours or so), I did enjoy it.

Thank you, all of you, for your replies.  And anyone else who replies, I will be reading and taking what you have to say into consideration.  My real challenge here is time.  I generally only have about 5 to 12 hours a week to game on average depending on the day and the week.  I wish I was in a position and a place in life where I could dedicate 20 or more hours a week to gaming.  I guess, for now, I will continue working on the three games that I am working on and, in the meantime, keep mulling over whether to go back to GTA V or not.  I'll keep you all posted on my decision in the future.  Thank you all again. ??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spider-Man916 said:

261d.pngThis!  I've always said, "Fun first, platinum second."  The little bit that I've played of it (plus or minus 15 hours or so), I did enjoy it.

Thank you, all of you, for your replies.  And anyone else who replies, I will be reading and taking what you have to say into consideration.  My real challenge here is time.  I generally only have about 5 to 12 hours a week to game on average depending on the day and the week.  I wish I was in a position and a place in life where I could dedicate 20 or more hours a week to gaming.  I guess, for now, I will continue working on the three games that I am working on and, in the meantime, keep mulling over whether to go back to GTA V or not.  I'll keep you all posted on my decision in the future.  Thank you all again. 1f642.png1f44d.png

Understand the time factor.  Nice to hear you are still gaming.  Just find something you enjoy and chip away at it.

It's a journey, not a destination.  Thanks for your positive response Spider-Man.  

• Like 1

Couple more considerations: 

This is a 100hr ++ platinum. 

The online was most fun for me by trying to build a criminal empire with the businesses and vehicle exporting activities. This is not the fastest method to reach level 100 but it is less of a grind than actual grinding. Once i got to level 70 I was happy with my empire and stopped reinvesting the in-game currency into new businesses and instead did the business activities to get money to fill out some garages, to then use those cars in Stunt races. If this interests you, a microtransaction investment with real money greatly reduces the boring start-up grind with this strategy.

The online heists are good with a dedicated crew. Do each one just once... the pay out aint that great.

• Like 2

It's not super hard, but depending on how thorough you are with your exploration and online, it can be a 150-400 hour game. Difficulty is around a 5 or 6 out of 10. Not a gimme by any stretch, but far from impossible. Online was annoying for me, but I did it without a boosting partner. With our fine community here, it shouldn't be too obnoxious. 

• Like 1

Pass. Online community is just cancerous.

When I was grinding for level 100 the fastest way were races and I can't remember a game pissing me off as much as GTA5 online did. Leading the whole race just to crash into a toxic piece of shit who just blocks the last part of the race by parking horitontally 50 meters before the finish line just so his buddy who was 2nd at the time could win.

On some rare cases I was able to host and choose the race rules myself and I just set them to no colission and won almost all the races I participated in, without this rule people would just crash into you all the time to help their buddies or just to annoy the piss out of you.

The game is mostly played by toxic kiddies - so yeah, a lot of fun.

Offline is ok, the story is ok I would say with its only highlight being Trevor who is batshit insane.

• Like 3

I think you shoul pass

I became father about an year ago, and having a family is full time job (and I love it)

time for gaming reduced a lot, and you're still trying to play 3 games at once...

i would consider to play GTA5 offline for story (i already played and enjoyed it),

but trying to plat it is a black hole I think

• Like 1

So I'm currently going for the platinum and it is a huge time investment for sure. The only reason I am doing it is because I live in Australia and currently in lockdown, meaning no work and can't leave the house. So LOTS of free time!

Thankfully for the online stuff I've friends help me out but some of the story based ones take ages! (working through the 100% complete trophy currently).
Not many of the trophies are truly 'missable', most of the missable ones come down to your choice at the end of the game. If you have limited time I wouldn't recommend it. I'm enjoying it, but only because of the abundance of free time I currently have.  

• Like 1

I would suggest completely skipping stuff like the Doomsday Heist trophies, particularly the last two that are sub 1 percent rarity because everyone has basically told me those are a true nightmare to earn.

Focus on slowing getting the online done first, then the single player for the platinum. Whether or not you want to do the DLC trophies is up to you. Personally, I think the platinum trophy is good enough for this game.

• Like 1

I played this on PS3. Never did much of the Online as at the time of playing (launch) and when GTA Online released, for me it hardly worked at all and my character kept on getting reset, game crashing etc so naturally out of frustration/annoyance, I skipped it altogether.

Obviously its 8 years now since I was fully invested in the game and its evolved considerably since then and the Online which impressively has kept going is as with any game with an online component where (if going for the plat) most of your time will be spent. But as others with experience of it have eluded to, just be prepared for an up and down ride as relying on others if they are dicking about is where I imagine something thats expected to take an hour or more could end up taking much longer....

As others have said though, just go with what you feel you can do/want to do. My motto is 'Fun over Frustration' so as soon as trophy hunting in games becomes a chore, i'll move on.

I always flirt with the idea of doing the PS4 version, but if I do decide to jump back in as I do love the GTA series, i'll hold off so I can enjoy it on PS5.

GTA 6 though, imagine that as an idea... ?

• Like 1

I've recently been working towards getting the final trophies for the PS3 version and I'm already thinking ahead to when I'll attempt to finish the PS4 trophies.

For the most part, I think the trophies are easy enough to achieve, it's just a big time commitment. The only couple that seem really difficult are the last two DLC trophies for the Doomsday Heist, but you don't need them for the Platinum if that's what you'd be aiming for, and I'm not really sure I'll go for them myself as I'm not sure they'd be worth the attempts.

As GTA Online has received regular updates over 8 years and continues to do so, there has been a massive amount of content added that'll help to give plenty of variety if you were to play, and I think a lot of the more recent content make the rank based trophies a lot easier too. It's also worth noting that almost every week there are 2x GTA$ and RP on a specific activity, with the activity changing every Thursday. This week it's the Vehicle Vendetta Adversary Mode which probably doesn't pay particularly well, but some weeks that can really come in handy when it's an activity that pays well or gives a lot of RP normally already.

I think it's worth going for the platinum, but I'm also a big fan of GTA so I'm probably biased. It's also unlikely the servers will be shutting down any time soon as it's still regularly updated so there's no real urgency required like there is for the PS3 version. If you do decide to go for it, I would recommend reading online for a few tips for GTA Online before you start. There are a couple of good "beginners guides" and videos of a similar theme that'll highlight a lot of content that'll make you easy money and RP, such as the recently-ish added collectibles, which'll give you a good head start :)

On 07/09/2021 at 11:04 AM, Kessarath said:

I hope that they will remove all online related trophies, when GTA Online is to be a separate game

I'd be interested to see what happens with that. However, Red Dead Online has also become a seperate game but is still also included with Red Dead Redemption 2, so it's possible it'll be like that for GTA V as well - A part of the game for those that own it, and also a seperate cheaper download for those who don't want to play the story mode.

• Like 1

I’m in the same boat, living with my girlfriend and working full time. I don’t have the time to invest in trophies as much as I used to, some weeks I’ll go 3 or 4 days and not even load up a game. This means I have to be a little more choosy with what games I go for now. 

Having started GTA V on both PS3 and 4, I fully intend to platinum both as it’s such an awesome game. 3 is obviously my priority at the moment with the server shutdown in December. I’m in no rush to platinum either game, but I am in a rush to get the multiplayer done on the PS3. I’m sure I’ll probably platinum several other games before I do either of those. 

So to answer your question, I would recommend it, but I wouldn’t be in a rush for it. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 6:03 AM, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Pass. Online community is just cancerous.

When I was grinding for level 100 the fastest way were races and I can't remember a game pissing me off as much as GTA5 online did. Leading the whole race just to crash into a toxic piece of shit who just blocks the last part of the race by parking horitontally 50 meters before the finish line just so his buddy who was 2nd at the time could win.

On some rare cases I was able to host and choose the race rules myself and I just set them to no colission and won almost all the races I participated in, without this rule people would just crash into you all the time to help their buddies or just to annoy the piss out of you.

The game is mostly played by toxic kiddies - so yeah, a lot of fun.

Offline is ok, the story is ok I would say with its only highlight being Trevor who is batshit insane.

I lol'd all over this post.  I hate GTA games, I have tried them yet just think they are dumb.  

Regardless I have seen and heard what you are talking about man, and that is hella lame.

Well, I've been back to playing GTA V in the past couple of days and GTA Online today.  I went and created a boosting session so here I go!  I guess I can't resist the challenge or maybe I just don't know when I am biting off more than I can chew so to speak. ??‍♂️?‍♂️???? lol If anyone else here is currently playing GTA V on PS4 and looking for a boosting partner, feel free to message me on PSN.  Thank you, all of you, who replied to this post.  I appreciate it very much.  Best to all of you. 

2 minutes ago, Spider-Man916 said:

Well, I've been back to playing GTA V in the past couple of days and GTA Online today.  I went and created a boosting session so here I go!  I guess I can't resist the challenge or maybe I just don't know when I am biting off more than I can chew so to speak. 1f644.png?‍♂️?‍♂️??1f602.png1f602.png lol If anyone else here is currently playing GTA V on PS4 and looking for a boosting partner, feel free to message me on PSN.  Thank you, all of you, who replied to this post.  I appreciate it very much.  Best to all of you. 

I wouldn't mind helping. The problem is my poor internet, I'll have to test out some games. Doesn't look like there is anything too difficult in the base game online trophies.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spider-Man916 said:

Well, I've been back to playing GTA V in the past couple of days and GTA Online today.  I went and created a boosting session so here I go!  I guess I can't resist the challenge or maybe I just don't know when I am biting off more than I can chew so to speak. 1f644.png?‍♂️?‍♂️??1f602.png1f602.png lol If anyone else here is currently playing GTA V on PS4 and looking for a boosting partner, feel free to message me on PSN.  Thank you, all of you, who replied to this post.  I appreciate it very much.  Best to all of you. 

Are you planning on also doing the DLCs and the heists