Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

2 hours ago, Rando-Calrisian- said:

I love the controller, when the haptic feedback is used well it's great ( GT7, Returnal).

Initially I wasn't blown away by the graphics as I was playing on a 4k monitor as the PS5 isn't powerful enough to run games at native 4k, 60fps. Once I got a new tv and used the TV's resolution upscaling features the graphics looked way better. 

The SSD and load times are great. Hopefully once supply chain issues are resolved and there are more PS5s out in the wild we will see games fully utilising the extra power the SSD can bring. Most games are still being designed with PS4 in mind so I think it'll be a few years until we really see the full potential.

There are a good few games that run at native 4k on PS5 and a lot more that do 4k with dynamic resolution. 

Things I don't like

The controller. I have arthritis and I find the controller to be much less comfortable than PS4 especially when playing a racing game and holding down the triggers for long periods of time. Controller is too big and heavy for my hands. D-Pad feels very cheap. I haven't encountered any stick drift at least even after 1,000+ hours with it.

The UI. Don't need to say much more. It's terrible.

The light on the PS5 that it seems you cannot turn off. I watch a lot of movies on my PS5 in a dark room and that light is obnoxious.

• Like 2

I honestly fully agree. PS5 has been out for over a year now & there STILL isn't much to show for it. UI is absolutely god awful & the dashboard is missing SEVERAL basic features even the PS3 had. & the fact that the Media Player is in the games tab & not the Media tab is just icing on the cake with how bad it is. The design on the PS5 is god awful as well. Why the fuck did they design a console where it literally NEEDS a stand to be able to have it placed somewhere that wouldn't damage the console & the fact the one it comes with is EXTREMELY bad & super flimsy to boot basically means you need to buy a 3rd party stand.

The only real good things I have to say about the PS5 is the loading times are great, no denying that. & I honestly really enjoy the controller. The adaptive triggers & haptic feedback actually really help make the game feel more alive. I was skeptical about the controller & though I was probably going to deactivate these options but I ended up really liking them. Sadly they make the controllers battery die pretty quickly but thankfully I have 2 controllers to switch between.

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 1

If I had one, I could be. :D 

Edit: but seriously. Though I don't own console of mine, I had several ocassions to play with it. And I'm generally positive about it. All that problems with accessibility, drifting Dualshocks, and small library of games are almostly the same when earlier consoles came out.

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 1

I feel like PS5 is more like a PS4 Pro Max at this moment. Not many PS5 only games, and most PS5 games do not take advantage of the PS5 only features. Therefore it’s more like playing PS4 games with better performance. But I am still glad we have a PS console to truly take advantage of SSD. It will save you a ton of time compared to playing on PS4/PS4 Pro.

Edited by dragonending
  • Like 2

PS5 performance is great, came with tons of free games on the PlayStation plus for me. Along with Astro playroom which was very cool

The only thing that disappoints me is that we cannot change background themes, and the PS5 is still not on any official market…

and it has been like what? Close to 2 years since it dropped now? Get your shit together Sony.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arzoden said:

and the PS5 is still not on any official market…

and it has been like what? Close to 2 years since it dropped now? Get your shit together Sony.

It's almost as if there was a pandemic that caused a worldwide chip shortage......

I honestly think if you're not happy, then go spend a few grand on a top tier gaming PC, see it that makes you happy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I-Reaped-U said:

I honestly think if you're not happy, then go spend a few grand on a top tier gaming PC, see it that makes you happy. 

I said the PS5 is great, but it lacks any sort of background themes and is still not available on any official market. I am quite happy with everything else? And I already had a top tier gaming pc but I sold that and now play PlayStation instead because I like it more. So explain what you’re talking about because I am not getting it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The PS5 put me back on the console train after switching to PC from PS3 in 2015. I found that I barely used my PS4 after getting it in 2017 apart from exclusives, albeit I opted for the Slim but I didn't envision getting a 4K OLED when I moved into my own place. With the state of the PC part market I have no issues maining the PS5 for gaming until prices calm down. 

My only complaint would be the Dualsense controller. I love the attention-to-detail that went into it (PS face button texturing on the back is *chefs kiss*) and the Adaptive Triggers are the best innovation in pads since the analog stick was introduced. I just can't get behind the size of it compared to the Dualshock 4. I prefer the Dualshock 4's shape and size, the contours work better for my hand position, and I like the curvature of the triggers. 

EDIT: I also think the UI is a bit of a downgrade. Not allowing personalization for themes so it can be dynamic to the tiles is great but feels more stale compared to the PS3 & PS4.

Edited by altStrafe
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 7:17 AM, altStrafe said:

The PS5 put me back on the console train after switching to PC from PS3 in 2015. I found that I barely used my PS4 after getting it in 2017 apart from exclusives, albeit I opted for the Slim but I didn't envision getting a 4K OLED when I moved into my own place. With the state of the PC part market I have no issues maining the PS5 for gaming until prices calm down. 

My only complaint would be the Dualsense controller. I love the attention-to-detail that went into it (PS face button texturing on the back is *chefs kiss*) and the Adaptive Triggers are the best innovation in pads since the analog stick was introduced. I just can't get behind the size of it compared to the Dualshock 4. I prefer the Dualshock 4's shape and size, the contours work better for my hand position, and I like the curvature of the triggers. 

EDIT: I also think the UI is a bit of a downgrade. Not allowing personalization for themes so it can be dynamic to the tiles is great but feels more stale compared to the PS3 & PS4.

That controller has turned me off any PS5 games. In my mind it is absolutely insane that controllers aren't backwards compatible when they so easily can be. This combined with the forced ALLM if you have HDMI 2.1 has sealed the deal for me tbh. Sony is not open to listening to the gaming community, I find this console to be a complete dud as far as next gen is concerned. I also don't really care that much, I play PS4 games on it with no problems. I do have a gaming PC and an XBSX, I also play allot of PS3 and Vita.

When's the next update? Probably 2023. Will it fix current issues? IDK, maybe the VRR will work properly.

• Like 1

If you're going to be playing fries games all-day of course you'll complain about PS5, and anyone who says it's a PS4 pro max or something doesn't own a PS5.

You play a launch title say new Demon's Souls, makes the old PS3 game feel like an ancient chew toy. Buttery smooth 4k 60fps. Slip-up and die? No loading screen to stare at anymore, back and go, and that means faster completions even for older PS4s because of the 12-channel SSD tech. For a trophy nut to say negative things about PS5, it's either trying to justify not owning one or lunacy.

• Like 3

I've had a PS5 for half a year now and I think it's enough time to give it a review, on the hardware side, I have no serious complaints, it's fine for a relatively low cost device, the software as far as the OS, same as the hardware

but the problems for me are:

- HDMI bandwidth is not enough for 4K/60/HDR/RGB

- SSD is integrated in the motherboard, this is a step back from the older PS consoles which offered the great feature of being able to swap out and upgrade internal storage

- Dualsense takes forever to charge and lasts too little, which would've been fine if it didn't take so long to charge

- Backwards Compatibility while good enough, it's not as good as it should be, the BC games don't take advantage of the SSD, they don't apply easy upgrades that would be a great bonus like forced full vsync and x16AF and some game, including Sony games, have problems that could easily be patched, like for example Shadow of the Colossus has severe texture issues, almost unplayable, but on the PSStore it's marked as being fine

- next to no true PS5 games, there is absolutely no software on the PS5 that 100% takes advantage of the hardware yet in 20 months with the exception of an Unreal Engine 5 Matrix demo, which hurts even more now that games are asking for $70 when they don't even offer the full capability of the hardware like games did for PS4 since day one

these are my biggest negatives

some positives:

- Hardware Capability is impressive for the price, native 4k, ray tracing reflections, no load times

- the console doesn't run as hot and loud as the PS4 did for me, I never hear the fan while playing games vs the PS4 where the fan was an ambient sound while playing some games like God Of War

- Unreal Eninge 5 and the AAA games announced to use it bring me hope for the future that I'll see better showings for the hardware with the PS4 and old engines out of the way

- Backwards Compatibility while not as good as it should be, it's still good enough for what it is, being able to play most of my PS4 games without issues is better than nothing at all

- Dualsense features are a nice jump over the Dualshock 4

to answer the topic, is the PS5 a disappointment for me after 6 months of use and 20 months of being on the market?

not yet, the PS4 peaked in 2018, around 4 years of being on the market, so I'll give the PS5 2 more years to prove itself, if by then I feel the same as I do right now, then absolutely the PS5 is a disappointment, but if I get 4-6 true PS5 games by then, I'll be happy, I have hopes for Spiderman 2, Wolverine, FF7Rebirth, whatever game SuckerPunch is making next to wow me as true PS5 games

• Like 1

I remember when the PS4 was lovingly referred as "the Remasterstation 4" for the first 2-3 years of its infancy.

PS5 has been a juggernaut in comparison. It's not even remotely close, either. 

Also, going from PS5 games and going backwards to PS4 games, and even some Switch games... it can be a little haunting at first.

• Like 1

Just out of interest, what do people think of the graphic capability? I feel like it is close to a RTX 2060 super for visuals, However being a dedicated console the speed isn't a problem. I'm not really a graphics whore so it's more of an observation then anything critical.

I've had this since week one, With a gaming PC and XBSX the most important thing to me is the controller.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:36 PM, The Investigator said:

- SSD is integrated in the motherboard, this is a step back from the older PS consoles which offered the great feature of being able to swap out and upgrade internal storage

It is not a step back, it's more faster than Xbox Series X and most PC solutions today cause of it's direct I/O solution, and previously you had to rip-and-replace a drive. Now you can simply upgrade and add up to 4TB with the NVMe 4 SSD expansion slot.

This is the early purchaser experience for newer consoles, it's nothing new, you just got to give it a bit of time to build up a library of games. Eventually they'll stop making PS4 versions of most games, but that is likely not anytime soon until the stock issue gets sorted out.

4 hours ago, technole said:

It is not a step back, it's more faster than Xbox Series X and most PC solutions today cause of it's direct I/O solution, and previously you had to rip-and-replace a drive. Now you can simply upgrade and add up to 4TB with the NVMe 4 SSD expansion slot.

I think you didn't understand what I meant, you can put a 7.3GB/s SSD in the expansion slot that is better in every way than the 5.5GB/s one on the motherboard, the extra speed makes up for all the custom stuff in the motherboard SSD over and more, but if that SSD on the motherboard dies or is used too much over the years, RIP the whole console because of one part that was replaceable in the last generations, so IT IS a stepback from how it was handled in other gens, the expansion slot is useless when the motherboard SSD dies

and let me make this very clear, there is absolutely nothing special about the SSD in the PS5, you fell for the marketing hype, I fell for it, but that's all it was, marketing hype, because it is a proven fact that you can use a way slower SSD to play native PS5 games that claim they are utilizing the SSD capabilities of the PS5, like Ratchet, and they work 100% the same

but all that is irrelevant because you don't even have to use a slower SSD, you can use an SSD that is vastly faster, like the one I use in my PC, Kingston Fury Renegade 7.3GB/s which is fast enough not only to pass the PS5 SSD, not only to also make up for the custom stuff, but fast enough to have leftover headroom after that on top of it

Edited by The Investigator

4 hours ago, The Investigator said:

I think you didn't understand what I meant, you can put a 7.3GB/s SSD in the expansion slot that is better in every way than the 5.5GB/s one on the motherboard, the extra speed makes up for all the custom stuff in the motherboard SSD over and more, but if that SSD on the motherboard dies or is used too much over the years, RIP the whole console because of one part that was replaceable in the last generations, so IT IS a stepback from how it was handled in other gens, the expansion slot is useless when the motherboard SSD dies

and let me make this very clear, there is absolutely nothing special about the SSD in the PS5, you fell for the marketing hype, I fell for it, but that's all it was, marketing hype, because it is a proven fact that you can use a way slower SSD to play native PS5 games that claim they are utilizing the SSD capabilities of the PS5, like Ratchet, and they work 100% the same

but all that is irrelevant because you don't even have to use a slower SSD, you can use an SSD that is vastly faster, like the one I use in my PC, Kingston Fury Renegade 7.3GB/s which is fast enough not only to pass the PS5 SSD, not only to also make up for the custom stuff, but fast enough to have leftover headroom after that on top of it

Looks like you fell into the same mistake that Linus did.

It's not about read/write speed, and they even put the red tape on the official upgrade page:

Not all games are necessarily playable with the exact same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500MB/s.

34 minutes ago, technole said:

Looks like you fell into the same mistake that Linus did.

It's not about read/write speed, and they even put the red tape on the official upgrade page:

Not all games are necessarily playable with the exact same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500MB/s.

Linus tried to compare a PC PCIe standalone card that hosts multiple SSDs to the PS5 SSD as there weren't that many good Gen 4 at that time, that was mid 2020, we're in mid 2022 now and the performance of PC Gen 4 SSDs is fully satisfied, at over 7GB/s, which is what's in my PC, better than the one in the PS5 by a lot

we're over 1 year and a half in the PS5 gen and you can't name me a game that doesn't run on the slowest SSD possible to use in the expansion slot

but on the other hand, we can put faster SSDs in the expansion slot and games load faster and move files faster than they do on the motherboard SSD as shown in the DF video

if you want to wait, that's on you, I'm not waiting for anything, I have the facts right now, and the facts are that I can buy the slowest SSD and do everything the motherboard SSD does on it, and I can also buy the fastest SSD and get better performance on it than on the motherboard SSD

and that's for the read performance, when it comes to write performance, the slowest SSD stomps the PS5 motherboard SSD, for example, it takes 1 minute to copy CP77 from PS5 SSD to expansion SSD and 7 minutes to copy from expansion SSD to PS5 SSD which results in the PS5 SSD having a write performance of about 230MB/s, which is slower than pretty much any PC Gen 4 SSD I've seen

2 minutes ago, The Investigator said:

Linus tried to compare a PC PCIe standalone card that hosts multiple SSDs to the PS5 SSD as there weren't that many good Gen 4 at that time, that was mid 2020, we're in mid 2022 now and the performance of PC Gen 4 SSDs is fully satisfied, at over 7GB/s, which is what's in my PC, better than the one in the PS5 by a lot

we're over 1 year and a half in the PS5 gen and you can't name me a game that doesn't run on the slowest SSD possible to use in the expansion slot

but on the other hand, we can put faster SSDs in the expansion slot and games load faster and move files faster than they do on the motherboard SSD as shown in the DF video

if you want to wait, that's on you, I'm not waiting for anything, I have the facts right now, and the facts are that I can buy the slowest SSD and do everything the motherboard SSD does on it, and I can also buy the fastest SSD and get better performance on it than on the motherboard SSD

and that's for the read performance, when it comes to write performance, the slowest SSD stomps the PS5 motherboard SSD, for example, it takes 7 minutes to copy CP77 from PS5 SSD to expansion SSD and 1 minute to copy from expansion SSD to PS5 SSD

I think I'm done talking to you if you think copying between two SSDs is a measure of gaming performance. It's not about read/write speeds, even then those are just theoretical in perfect conditions. It's the controller in relevance to game development. Huge games like Gran Turismo 7 and Demons Souls is a very good example of how things can be loaded so fast because of the PS5 controller solution as Linus describes.

DirectStorage is the PC solution going forward compatible to the PS5 model. Forspoken and Witcher 3 upgrade will use it.

11 minutes ago, technole said:

I think I'm done talking to you if you think copying between two SSDs is a measure of gaming performance. It's not about read/write speeds, even then those are just theoretical in perfect conditions. It's the controller in relevance to game development. Huge games like Gran Turismo 7 and Demons Souls is a very good example of how things can be loaded so fast because of the PS5 controller solution as Linus describes.

DirectStorage is the PC solution going forward compatible to the PS5 model. Forspoken and Witcher 3 upgrade will use it.

I don't know why you're putting words in my mouth, quote me where I said write speed is a measure of "gaming performance" whatever that even means, my point on the read speed was just that the PS5 SSD has way lower read speed compared to regular PC Gen 4 SSDs, which it does, you need to wait 7 minutes to copy a game from PS5 to expansion SSD and only 1 minute the other way, that's time wasted

like I said, there's nothing you can do in GT7 and Demon's Souls on the PS5 SSD that you can't do the same on a slower expansion SSD or do better on a faster expansion SSD, you have yet to show anything that disproves this point

I've already told you that the custom controller in the PS5 SSD is more than made up for with the extra 1.5GB/s read of a 7GB/s SSD in the expansion slot

and the fact that I can do everything the same with a slower expansion SSD shows that the PS5 SSD is not even used for its 50% capability, which defeats the point of it, and that holds true to this day 1.5 years in this gen

For me currently the PS5 just stands out because of faster loading times and upped graphics/FPS.

But the fact that the console still isnt available and that SONY isnt doing anything about sclapers in the first place is absolutely laughable.

I know chip shortage bla bla.

But I have never been an early adaptor of consoles anyways, I m gonna wait for a Pro Version with bigger SSD and more power + fix of overheating or fan noise.

The same  reason I never  bought a PS4 on release:

1. Lack of games

2. Shit material quality (dissolving rubber on DS4)

3. To small HDD

Plus PS5 games are like +10€ over the PS4 version

And about the loading times, that argument doesnt count once u play online cross-gen or cross-plattform, dont matter if u can load in faster cuz u have to wait for ppl with HDD, so pretty much the super fast loading online counts if u play singleplayer, or multiplayer with PS5 players.

Also im very skeptic about the DS5 with so many more components inside, it could break even faster, I see it coming the first thing people gonna complain about is that the adaptive trigger will become loose.

As for me I always had problems with DS4 they have absolute shit quality, every 1-2 years i would need a new one if i wanna play Racing or FPS cuz the R2 and analog sticks loose accuracy

• Like 1