Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

I have two televisions next to each other, the other my son uses with my old PS4Pro

The difference is stark when comparing anything that has a PS4/5 version, the games run so much better on PS5 (and it doesn't sound like a jet engine while doing it) that alone was worth it to me. But each to thier own!

• Like 2

I'm (hopefully) moving house soon and will be able to have my game stuff set up in a small ish room however I was wondering how the PS5 handles mainly disc based PS4 games especially with fan noise and heat levels, because of the size of the room it might not have as much space/airflow as my PS4 Slim does but I'm hoping that with the more powerful hardware playing stuff that shouldnt be taxing it it wont be an issue especially compared to the noise of the PS4 at times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I "accidentally" found a PS5 at a Shoppers Drug Mart (Pharmacy Chain in Canada) in March of 2021.  I had given up on getting one for the foreseeable future when this happened.  No scalpers no shipping costs, and no worries.  I do feel for others that are still trying to get one, but rest assured that they are out there.  I have even seen them at my local Wal-Mart from time to time.  You just need to always have $800 bucks in your pocket in case you run across one by "accident" as I did.

Now, during the first few weeks of owning the system I really just installed and played older PS4 games to see how much better they were on the PS5, the free games from PS+ that I claimed through the web store, and Astro's Playroom.  However, there has been a steady stream of good to great quality games that are either exclusive or upgraded for the system.  I was never really worried about what to play on the PS5.

I really can't think of anything I would be disappointed with even from the start.  I have had no compatibility issues with any of the games I have been playing,  The game coming out are either great first party or high-quality 3rd party.  The one thing that bugs me is Gamestop selling them in "Bundles" when they do get them in stock.  They claim this is to cut back on the number of scalpers that are getting one, but, we all know it's so they can pile on sales.  If there is one thing that is bad, it is that the included stand works great for verticle display but is terrible for horizontal display.  I recently started using it this way and the PS5 kept sliding/falling off the stand.  Oh, and the Dual Sense is slightly too big but I am getting used to it.  

I had had my PS4 since launch and needed to get rid of the loud ass jet taking off in my living room whenever I played games.  Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk: 2077 were the games that almost killed my PS4.

Now, I am spoiled.

Low fan noise on all games.  I don't even hear the PS5 no matter what I play

Really fast load times even on older PS4 games.  I do miss going to the kitchen for snacks while I am using fast travel in a game though.  Don't have time to get off the couch loading is so fast.

High Frame rates...30 fps literally hurts my eyeballs now.

• Like 3

Well at least you can now turn off ALLM so in my case it doesn't look like shit any more. I'm glad Sony addressed this issue and also surprised, now if they just "unlock" the use of ps4 controllers on Ps5 games I promise not to moan again.

• 4 months later...

Alright, since I finally set up my PS5 I bought earlier this year but mostly just had sitting in its box until recently (should tell you all you need to know about how excited I was to hop onto "next gen"), it's time for me to share my own worthless opinion on the subject.

Firstly, let's get the nitpicking out the way first: There's a few questionable decisions that I can't say I'm a fan of, and I have no idea why they did them.

The first one being the trophy level percentage - why on Earth can't I see the percentage to my next trophy level when I can on my fucking PS3 and Vita of all things? I don't understand the logic behind removing it, now I have to check it using this site or when I next use my PS4, which is mildly annoying.

Secondly, why am I hearing the disc I have inside the console spinning occasionally while playing it? Surely it already did its license checks when I booted up the game? I've never heard my PS4 spin the disc back up once I'm in a game unless it's one of those weird games where you install different sections once in the game itself. It's a very minor annoyance, but does have me slightly worried about the disc drive being needlessly worn out.

Thirdly, I'm so used to the long press of the PS button taking you back to the dashboard, not the other way around. Why change it Sony? Why!?

And finally, I'm not really a fan of the minimalist UI of the PS5 in general. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it but I hate how it feels like so much is just missing compared to the PS4 - some of it actually IS missing, some just feels like it, but nonetheless, first impression is a bit icky.

Alright, now onto my more general thoughts: So far, things feel very similar to how they did for me between the PS2 and PS3. Like the PS5, I got a PS3 about 2 years after it launched, it didn't really have any games I wanted to play on it till that point. Once I got the console, I remember playing LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction on it and then just... Kinda forgetting about it. I was impressed with the wireless controllers and wowed by the graphics, but the PS2 was still more appealing to me, and still getting new games that interested me into 2009 or so. Similarly, I foresee my PS4 still getting more love than my PS5 for a while to come (yes, I know the PS5 is backwards compatible, but I'm likely still gonna play most if not all my PS4 games on my ol' launch model PS4). I already own around 30 or so physical PS5 games I've been collecting since the launch of the console (not including all the PS4 games with free upgrades), so it's not like I have nothing to play on it but... In comparison, I have like 600 games in my PS4 backlog between digital and physical games, so uh... You prolly get the point.

Onto the controller, it's.... okay. It's kinda cool but at the same time, I see the haptics as being one of those early gen gimmicks that less and less games utilise as time goes on, like the sixaxis with the PS3, and the touchpad with the PS4. My feelings on it are mixed - it's cool and all, but it also often feels like I'm kinda breaking the triggers or something. Also, it's kinda fucking noisy whenever I hear the haptics being activated/deactivated, makes an audible click sound which honestly makes me shudder a little.

I've already bitched a little about the UI, but I also really have to say I'm not a fan of how it kind of just reminds me of the Xbox UI. I don't really like how the PSN store is now kinda just integrated into it, instead of being its own app essentially. The PS Plus section is also a lot more cumbersome compared to PS4.

Now to actually sing its praises a little: The speed of the console is really nice, especially when I've often complained about how laggy my PS4 feels. There's none of that on PS5, and games having zero loading screens is a welcome feature. I also like how the cloud saves operate much the same way they do on the Nintendo Switch - as soon as you close the game, it uploads the save to the cloud automatically. and quickly too. Of course the feature can be disabled but I don't see myself doing it, unless I want to for a specific game at some point for whatever reason.

And perhaps the biggest thing I appreciate is that the console actually tells you when a disc is done installing (little confusing at first though since it's in the "downloads" tab). This is something that's irked me to no end on the PS4 over the years, having nothing but the sound of the disc eventually spinning down to tell me if the console is done installing it, as the "copying from disc complete" pop-up is usually wrong (normally just means you can play the game now, doesn't mean it's 100% installed).

Anyway, overall, I think it's far too early to say the PS5 was a disappointment - it's only 2 years old (not even 1 year old at the time this thread was posted), you could argue the next generation still hasn't truly started yet. I'm confident there'll be games in the future that fully utilise everything the console has to offer, and it'll have a good, memorable exclusive library of games.

• Like 2

Its very strange that the console is two years old and there are still ps4/ps5 games like GowR or gran turismo7 that in a way or another, limit the power of the hardware in order to be playable in ps4 consoles, dont get me wrong, the games still look, play, sound, and feel amazing in ps5 settings with 60 fps and fast AF loading times, but its somewhat sad to think whats the true potential of modern consoles (including xbox series), is limited by pandemic and in order to have more software sells they need to be avaliable in other consoles. 

Its curious, i remember people complaining for the metal gear V ps3 ports back when the ps4 was available, but now its seems like its a rule in order to cover sales, there are more ps5 consoles available than last year, but its an interesting question as if Sony and publishers are getting the cash, and in which console/version of the game.

6 hours ago, Don_Chipotle said:

Its very strange that the console is two years old and there are still ps4/ps5 games like GowR or gran turismo7 that in a way or another, limit the power of the hardware in order to be playable in ps4 consoles, dont get me wrong, the games still look, play, sound, and feel amazing in ps5 settings with 60 fps and fast AF loading times, but its somewhat sad to think whats the true potential of modern consoles (including xbox series), is limited by pandemic and in order to have more software sells they need to be avaliable in other consoles. 

Its curious, i remember people complaining for the metal gear V ps3 ports back when the ps4 was available, but now its seems like its a rule in order to cover sales, there are more ps5 consoles available than last year, but its an interesting question as if Sony and publishers are getting the cash, and in which console/version of the game.

True potential was Gotham Knights and Plague Tale 2 with 30fps and Ghostwire Tokyo,maybe nfs 2022

9 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

True potential was Gotham Knights and Plague Tale 2 with 30fps and Ghostwire Tokyo,maybe nfs 2022

I don't think Gotham Knights is showing off the true potential of anything except perhaps the future of extremely unoptimized AAA games. I would hope the future of gaming leans more towards interactive media and less towards slideshows, personally.

Edited by Darling Baphomet

7 hours ago, Don_Chipotle said:

How is it strange when the situation was explained to us years back? 

Covid lockdowns, chip shortages, work-from-home issues all added up to more cross-gen 1st party support. However, that is just 1st party. 3rd party games always had a longer cross-gen window, especially games from Japan.

Wasn't 60fps and a variable resolution the target for these consoles? Mark Cerny and AMD seemed pretty interested in improving checkerboard rendering and FSR.  Higher framerate means lower resolution and generally not what the average home TV sets were made for.

Framerate and resolution are just two stats. There's way more going on in these PS5 games from Sony that will probably go underappreciated.

7 hours ago, Don_Chipotle said:

it's not strange at all, those games were designed for ps4 but their development cicle took a lot more thanks to the pandemic (reason that you actually listed). It's just business, Capcom for example, they would be crazy if they miss the opportunity to sell RE4R and SF6 in a ecosystem of 120 million consoles (most of them still active) just because the ps4 is old.  

All industries work that way and the PS4, PS5, Sony or other companies aren't to blame. It is what it is. 

Edited by polar_bst
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Framerate and resolution are just two stats. There's way more going on in these PS5 games from Sony that will probably go underappreciated.

They aren't 'just stats', they're the most fundamental aspect of any game's visual component, and play a large role in gameplay as well. You can use whatever techniques you like to spruce up an image, but Quake 1 in 4k still beats any current gen game in 200p. And no amount of god rays will make a still image any more playable, or for a less extreme example, a framerate stutter any less jarring.

We are playing the same generation of games but at 4K@60hz, thats all, PS5 is a basic hardware upgrade, and a downgrade in social features (news feed, themes, folders, ugly dual/clone trophies, cant share photos, no communities, no update history for PS5 games, etc).

Edited by DarkBlood-ARG
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 2:45 PM, arcanehornet_ said:

Am I alone in this? I was super excited to get the console, but after playing Astro’s Playroom the “wow” factor faded fast.
I’m just playing PS4 games, like I had been doing for the past several years. There are a few exclusives that I’m interested in, but they’re ludicrously expensive a lot of the time. Couple this with a bland UI, removal of themes and recent activities and we have a sort of underwhelming console.

Don’t get me wrong, I know the console is relatively new and we have to wait for the big titles. But for now, it feels like nearly everything releasing is on PS4 as well. 

I know this post and question is over a year old at the time I'm answering it, so it's possible the OP's opinion has changed. 

The simple answer for me is a resounding "no". I've probably played my PS5 every night since purchasing it in December 2020. I put a ton of hours into MMOs last generation, which caused me to miss out on a lot of great games. I have been having a blast going back and playing them in 4k 60fps. I enjoyed those games so thoroughly that I decided to platinum them, which is actually what got me into trophy hunting in the first place. I've also found a lot of entertainment hours in the cross generation games that came out the last 2 years, and the aforesaid MMOs with updated graphics patches. 

So, no. I have not been disappointed in the least. 

7 minutes ago, Sneeches said:

Just got my PS5 about 2 months ago now and really disappointed with the missing features, like seriously they went a huge step backwards compared to the PS4.  No themes, no friends activity feed, nothing.  

Its like watching Netflix, there is no social interaction anywhere and every useful/optional feature was removed, we cant even see the changelog of PS5 games now..

Edited by DarkBlood-ARG
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

to be honest imo things havnt rearly changed much since ps3,what i mean is that i came to gaming quite late enjoyed ps2 and i think that was rearly the best fun.ps3 was a massive upgrade no need for a memory card online games talking to mates while playing cod.since then its the same thing ok graphics and bits improve but overall gaming is not as much fun nowdays  

• Like 3

i cant stand the menu layout. there is so much clutter of crap i dont want on my screen. i havent used my ps5 much and still am pretty lost when i do. its made for a audience that im not in thats for sure. i dont care wtf anyone else is doing while im playing i just want a very basic menu layout. i also really hate the ps5 store. when i played battlefield it was the first time i actually used messaging and group chats and was completely lost trying to go back and forth to it. they put it in a little bubble so you can see 100 other things on your screen that you dont want or need. performance wise it seems great. the fact you cant use a usb stick and put saves on it is prehistoric. even the ps3 you could back your saves up to usb. does ps5 have the 1k file save limit like ps4 does? where are you going to back your saves up when that gets full?

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:29 AM, TomataEighty9 said:

I was disappointed when ps5 launched. 

But, i gotta admit. Since my wife bought her ps5, and i played it, i find it hard to play my ps4 now :D 

It's an amazing machine, the ps5. Good job Sony. Pls make more, so i can get one too ;) 

It is pretty amazing, now we just need a PS5 Pro with BC with PS3 xD

I am happy with my PS5, but a Pro would make me much happier.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Can you create folders yet? I organize my games by genre and I wasn't a fan of scrolling back and forth, nitpicking but I really want it.

Eh, kind of? There is a feature called gamelists. You can have like 10 or 15 of them, label them, etc. Each list can store 100 games. You can rename the gamelist and do some sorting with it. But it could use an update to be honest. 

To try this feature go to Games Library -> Your Collection -> Create Gamelist. 

Does that fit what you are looking for?

• Like 1

On 22/9/2021 at 8:45 PM, arcanehornet_ said:

Am I alone in this? I was super excited to get the console, but after playing Astro’s Playroom the “wow” factor faded fast.
I’m just playing PS4 games, like I had been doing for the past several years. There are a few exclusives that I’m interested in, but they’re ludicrously expensive a lot of the time. Couple this with a bland UI, removal of themes and recent activities and we have a sort of underwhelming console.

Don’t get me wrong, I know the console is relatively new and we have to wait for the big titles. But for now, it feels like nearly everything releasing is on PS4 as well. 

Do not worry, once they start to deliver pure next gen games, not the ones started in the past gen, you won't regret.

Even with the demo of RE4, I tried on PS4 Pro and PS5. And right the difference is not huge (cross gen game), but u get better resolution and better fps, loading times, and the noise. My PS4 Pro was preparing for launch to the moon xD

But, if you only have a PS4... will be fully enjoyable. Like previous RE made on Reach for the Moon Engine (RE Engine)

• Like 1