Best game to get into Fighting Games?

Koro249

Recently I started taking interest in some of the rarer trophies out there and while looking through ultra rare games I very often come across fighting games and I always think some of them look really cool. 

I have played some fighting games in my childhood with friends but like it was for many of us probably, I never really understood what I was doing and ended up just button mashing.

I don‘t even really get the concept of the games. Like I know there are combos and you can block or dodge moves but how do you know when to use what? Like can‘t you just say spam the same combo over and over?
Anyway, I am looking for a game that is good at teaching me those things, while also providing a decent entry level challenge to prepare for some of the more Ultra Rare ones. What can you recommend?

I am also interested in what makes so many of these so hard if someone can provide some insight. 
Any general info or story telling on your learning process with fighting games would also be interesting if you‘d like to share. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Try Guilty Gear Strive. It's popular right now, so there shouldn't be a problem someone to play with.

16 minutes ago, Koro249 said:

I am also interested in what makes so many of these so hard if someone can provide some insight. 

Mostly it's either to get to some high rank in ranked matches. Or some really hard combo trials. Sometimes there is a hard as nails boss rush mode or something. Persona 4 Arena, for example, has both the trials and boss rush against insane AI.

• Like 1

The simple answer is just to play them and be patient. I'm not joking. Most fighting games have a trophy for completing the tutorial that will teach you the basics. The more you play, the better you'll get. As long as you're trying to get better and being mindful of what you're doing, rather than just mashing random buttons.

The longer answer is that it varies and can be very different depending on what game you want to learn and what type of game it is. "Fighting games" is actually a somewhat broad term. Learning the specifics of each type of game has to be learned in said game. Some stuff is universal, but learning and moving to higher level play of Tekken 7 or Dead or Alive isn't going to help much playing a game like Blazblue or Street Fighter. All of which are very different to games like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm. And of course Smash Bros is kind of it's own beast. It's really best to find one you already like and improve in it, rather than trying to get good at all "fighting games". As you learn one game, some stuff will translate to another. As you learn that one you'll pick up more than you can take with you. It's a slow process.

If you're really looking for a specific game that teaches the more in-depth stuff, Skullgirls probably has the best and most in-depth tutorial in any fighting game. It focuses on 2D fighting games though. Some of the concepts will transfer to 3D, but 3D will be a very different experience. Skullgirls is one of the hardest fighting game plats to get though, so keep that in mind. The Blazblue games also have a good tutorial. Games like Blazblue and Skullgirls have a lot more in-depth mechanics though, and it can get confusing and overwhelming at first.

There is no quick and easy way to suddenly get good at all fighting games. It takes a lot of time. There are so many UR fighting game plats because they take skill. Not just anyone can pick it up and get everything within a few tries like most other games. You have to slowly learn mechanics and come to understand the game.

So seriously, if there's a fighting game you like. Just play it and be patient. You'll get better with time.

• Like 2

I recommend you play what YOU like the look of and play Training mode in that game of your choice. I'm a 'labber' and spend a lot of time learning mechanics, setups, punishes and of course combo's. Don't get too hung up on learning combo's, they are not that important when starting out.

Divekick is 'my first fighting game' level of easy to get into and the core fundamentals of every fighting game is also present: footsies.

Examples of games that have great tutorials that teach you the basics and also advanced are Mortal Kombat 11, Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-/Rev 2, BlazBlue series.

For 3D fighters, Dead or Alive 5/6, have good tutorials.

Lastly don't play to win. Play to learn.

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli
  • Like 4

I find that Mortal Kombat is quite an accessible entry point into fighting games and if you have Xbox/PC then Killer Instinct is actually pretty good at easing you in and teaching you along the way.

I'd say Soul Calibur and Tekken are also pretty accessible but they're both 3D fighters so it depends if that's what you're looking for.

Most fighting games that have ultra rares are that way because most of them are grindy and require you go usually play dozens of modes and do loads of stuff with every character etc. Usually they are not difficult (there are exceptions to that rule) so you don't need to get particularly good at them if you only want the trophies.

That‘s some great advice, thank you so much.

I can tell there are many fighting games enthusiasts out there and I really enjoy the feeling of gradually getting better at something. 

Skullgirls was actually one of the games that intrigued me the most. I‘m considering maybe playing the PS3 original or Encore version first as the trophies seem a bit easier (according to rarity, and time needed) to see if it‘s something I enjoy and then possibly getting 2nd encore version afterwards.

Guilty Gear Strive looked great too, but still a bit expensive at this time. 

Might also jump into Mortal Kombat X first as it was free and it seems most of the rarity comes from grinding which I don’t mind but it might still teach me some basics along the way.

• Like 1

My favorites are Persona 4 Arena and Power Rangers Battle for the Grid. These have some of the lowest platinum percentages for fighting games I've seen.

I also really like BBxTag because it has RWBY characters and Persona characters. Dragonball FighterZ is also an amazing fighter that still has players today despite being out for years.

Edit: OH! One more thing... I notice your profile picture is Isaac from the Binding of Isaac. Did you know he is actually in a traditional 2D fighter game? Check out Blade Strangers!!

Edited by FrostyMcNugs
  • Like 1

On 28.9.2021 at 11:32 PM, FrostyMcNugs said:

My favorites are Persona 4 Arena and Power Rangers Battle for the Grid. These have some of the lowest platinum percentages for fighting games I've seen.

I also really like BBxTag because it has RWBY characters and Persona characters. Dragonball FighterZ is also an amazing fighter that still has players today despite being out for years.

Edit: OH! One more thing... I notice your profile picture is Isaac from the Binding of Isaac. Did you know he is actually in a traditional 2D fighter game? Check out Blade Strangers!!

Oh that‘s funny. Might have to check the game out for my boy isaac. :D 

Also thank you for your info. Had never heard of that Power Rangers game. Some really rare trophies indeed :hmm: