What games should I introduce to my non gamer husband?

Burritoprime

Spyro the Dragon was my introduction to PlayStation in the 90s and I still think it is a solid one. 

However, I will echo people who have said that perhaps gaming just isn't the hobby for him. My mother has happily watched my Dad play video games for thirty years and will show interest in learning the lore relative to what he is currently into (and watch any relevant TV shows/movies, e.g. World of Warcraft) but she still won't do more than hit the 'Ready' button for him when a queue pops while he's out of the room. It might be from watching them that I'm now more than happy to simply watch my girlfriend play video games for hours on end rather than to physically be the one playing them. 

Maybe the two of you can find a new hobby to pursue together? Learning new recipes and physical activities are often good shouts.

8 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Most of what I thought to suggest has been shared already so I'll suggest a different tactic.  Do any of the books he reads or the shows he watches have a video game based off them?  What genres does he read/ watch? 

He's into horror novels, super heroes and medieval stuff, he's pretty nerdy like myself but in a different field haha

Considering he's not a gamer you could try with simple stuff like Lego games.

I mean. I've play A way out many times with different siblings and I'm a gamer and there are sections where you need to feel comfortable with the controller to advance, same goes for It takes two. 

I would say try with games like Lego or Life is strange, or Until dawn, if he's interested in that maybe you can try later with beat them ups like Street of rage. Another suggestion if he likes Horror themes is SOMA. Mostly exploration, not that long. Good luck :)

I felt like TellTale games were a slog. Although, Batman and Wolf Among Us were pretty good. If you are going that route and he likes horror, Until Dawn is decent. Uncharted also has a cinematic feel to it. It is easy to pick up since there are not RPG mechanics. It is I have a gun, I shoot people. They drop or I find a better gun, I take it and shoot more people. Light puzzles but excellent story and voice acting to really sell it. 

1 hour ago, Sunnyburrito said:

He's into horror novels, super heroes and medieval stuff, he's pretty nerdy like myself but in a different field haha

Marvel's Spider-Man and the Miles Morales sequel are excellent superhero games as are the Batman Arkham series. There's also the fighting games like Injustice but I can't speak to their quality. 

Skyrim and Dragon Age definitely have a Medieval theme/ tone but with magic too. And dragons of course. There's also Dragon's Dogma which is a bit more niche. Kingdom Come Deliverance is excellent but might be a little much for someone new to gaming.

Man of Medan,  Until Dawn,  and the other horror games mentioned are good too. If he likes Alien, Alien Isolation is scary as hell.

9 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

I want to suggest Bully, you can't die in the game for obvious reasons and the game is one of the best ever made and a lot of fun. His teenage self might find it enjoyable.

I have never played this game always heard about it, I'm not into GTA other than San Andreas so I never really gave it any thought, for whatever reason people compared the two when describing it to me, is the story good? Gameplay?

9 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I have never played this game always heard about it, I'm not into GTA other than San Andreas so I never really gave it any thought, for whatever reason people compared the two when describing it to me, is the story good? Gameplay?

Yeah, it's the story of a rebel 15 year old boy who was expelled from 4 different schools. Check some gameplay videos to see more.

Just to give a feedback, we tried several games in the last days and he liked the vast majority, he finished most Resident Evil games because (deep breath) he's a fan of the movies so he wanted to see why most RE fans don't like the movies, now we are playing through  Until Dawn, so far so good, but he's definitely more of a watcher than a player and that's fine too, he's been helping me with grinding or when something gets too frustrating and he also helps me with guides and stuff, solving puzzles etc... I'm just really happy he enjoys games at all.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Just to give a feedback, we tried several games in the last days and he liked the vast majority, he finished most Resident Evil games because (deep breath) he's a fan of the movies so he wanted to see why most RE fans don't like the movies, now we are playing though Until Dawn, so far so good, but he's definitely more of a watcher than a player and that's fine too, he's been helping me with grinding or when something gets too frustrating and also he helps me with guides and stuff, solving puzzles etc... I'm just really happy he enjoys games at all.

That sounds good - and actually makes me think of another game that could be a really good one - Outer Wilds.

The thing with Outer Wilds is, I would still recommend you be the one to actually control it, as (the flight controls in particular) can be a bit tricky to get to grips with, however, the actual gameplay is all about solving grand mysteries and putting together clues in different areas, and seeing connections and stuff that seems out of place, or stands out in the environment, or things that can piece together the mysteries of the universe...

...all things that are totally fun for people to do without being in direct control.

In fact, having a second person providing a "wide angle lens" on the proceedings is a genuine help in that game!

Actually, the games secrets and riddles are so deep and clever and rewarding in Outer Wilds, that discussion between the two of you as you play would be both fun, and make solving the mysteries much more viable!

Plus, it has the added bonus of being one of the best games of the last 10 years! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That sounds good - and actually makes me think of another game that could be a really good one - Outer Wilds.

The thing with Outer Wilds is, I would still recommend you be the one to actually control it, as (the flight controls in particular) can be a bit tricky to get to grips with, however, the actual gameplay is all about solving grand mysteries and putting together clues in different areas, and seeing connections and stuff that seems out of place, or stands out in the environment, or things that can piece together the mysteries of the universe...

...all things that are totally fun for people to do without being in direct control.

In fact, having a second person providing a "wide angle lens" on the proceedings is a genuine help in that game!

Actually, the games secrets and riddles are so deep and clever and rewarding in Outer Wilds, that discussion between the two of you as you play would be both fun, and make solving the mysteries much more viable!

Plus, it has the added bonus of being one of the best games of the last 10 years! 1f609.png

Thanks for the recommendation, I remember seeing this game and thinking it was pretty cool but I ended up forgetting about it I'll grab it soon, and from your description it will be a really good game  to play with a co pilot ?

• Like 1

The Long Dark... is a game I have never been able to stop playing, it has a story mode and a survival mode.. and is honestly one of the most engaging I have managed to spend so much time on....

from PlatPrices...."The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster. There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and all the threats Mother Nature can muster."

10 hours ago, craig_obviously said:

The Long Dark... is a game I have never been able to stop playing, it has a story mode and a survival mode.. and is honestly one of the most engaging I have managed to spend so much time on....

from PlatPrices...."The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster. There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and all the threats Mother Nature can muster."

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks really interesting I'll check it out.

• 1 month later...

Hi y'all hope everyone is doing well, I'm reviving this thread since you guys been so helpful in the past with your suggestions, we got to play a lot of games specially the more cinematic ones like Until Dawn, I recently  got a new Switch and since I only play Zelda, Mario, Metroid and Fire Emblem I'm much without a good idea for good couch co op on Switch, can you guys suggest some ? Thank you very much, stay safe.