What games should I introduce to my non gamer husband?

Burritoprime

3 hours ago, diskdocx said:

LEGO games would be great coop options, and I just did Overcooked with my daughter and we had an absolute blast. I would suggest the All You Can Eat collection as it’s much more forgiving in terms of difficulty 

Interesting, I never really gave Lego games any chance because I always thought they would be for kids or very boring, is the Lord of The Rings one any good? We are both into Harry Potter movies and books, are the Lego games based on them any good?

2 hours ago, MarcusPunisher said:

What movies or TV shows does he like? There is a good chance that there have been games made on it like the Witcher. I would try something from there. 

I thought about The Witcher, we finished the second season last weekend but the game is really long so he said he rather watch me play haha 

1 hour ago, NMErickson said:

Couch co-op!

I hesitated to share this video because I hate spoilers as much as anyone but since you said you’ve seen some of Little Hope, you can skip to 7:12 of the video and see where the scene changes and they switch players:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for sharing I'll grab Man of Medan and Little Hope, I'll even platinum them later on my main account.

Edited by Sunnyburrito

4 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I haven't played It Takes Two mostly because of the co op stuff and it never occurred to me that it's a good game to start with him, that's a very good idea, and I completely forgot about Until Dawn it's an excellent game and we both love horror movies so it's a nice way to get engaged even if the characters end up dying there's an incentive to replay it together, I have most of the Tellltales games but I haven't started them yet I'll give it a go with the Walking Dead, good story and very friendly to newcomers, thank you very much for all the tips.

Oh I completely forgot about Spider Man, he's a huge fan of the comic and won't shut up about the No Way Home movie, I haven't played them yet but only heard good things about it, is it easy enough for  someone with no experience with games to pick up and play? I can assist him of course but I'd rather have him figure things out since that's way more fun.

I haven't played the game yet either but as far as I know it's not too difficult, he'll probably need some time to get used to the controls, once he does he shouldn't have problems with the game.

4 hours ago, wackt1 said:

IDK about the hitman series, new gamers might get impatient with the slow nature of the game. It might take them a couple hours just to do one level

On casual difficulty it shouldn't be that hard to get used to the controls and I bet he'll have fun exploring different ways to take out the targets.

Edited by Deceptrox

26 minutes ago, Neocarleen said:

You know your husband best, so take my advice with a grain of salt. You've been together for seven years, and while he has respected your gaming, he hasn't stepped forward and asked to join you during this time. It sounds like he's just not interested in video games. And that's ok. I'm sure there are other things you both like to do together, and it's okay to have your own interests outside of that as well.

Other people have posted a bunch of suggestions here. So you can ask your husband if he would want to try some of these with you. But if he's not into it, you shouldn't push him further.

A good middle ground would be to let him sit with you play something and chat with him about other things as you play.

Thank you for your comment, I got a lot of good suggestions here that I'll show him and see if he's interested, you touched something that's very important and true I won't insist if he doesn't feel like playing or if he doesn't want to take a game to the end, after all gaming is my hobby not his, the only reason I decided to introduce him to games is because he's been watching me play games for years and always say that he would like to start playing as well but doesn't know how to get started and neither did I tbh, and with work and other rl stuff we always end up forgetting, that's why I created this topic to see if I could get some ideas, even if we play casually together once a week I'll be happy and if not I'll be happy the same way because what's  important  after all is to have fun together be it playing or watching a movie, etc..

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I have played COUNTLESS of co-op games over the years. With that being said, here's my top 3 recommendations:

#1. Pode - This was our absolute favorite co-op experience. It's a relatively unknown co-op puzzle platformer that's incredibly charming and has some great gameplay elements that left us with some great memories that we fondly look back on when we reminisce of things we've played together. We played some of It Takes Two but we weren't able to appreciate it anywhere near the level that we did for Pode.

#2. Earth Defense Force 5 - We've put damn near 300 hours into this game! It has insane replay value, a great online community, and tons of gameplay variety. It has a bit of a slow start but once you make some progress, it becomes one of the most fun, intense experiences you can have in co-op.

#3. Overcooked: All You Can Eat - This game is undeniably fun. Simple to learn but tricky to master. It can be both hilarious and frustrating at the same time but it becomes incredibly satisfying once things "click" and you're both working together like a well-oiled machine. It can be even more fun/crazier if played in 4-player mode.

Honorable mentions go to Monster Hunter WorldDragon Marked For DeathStardew Valley, TerrariaThe SurvivalistsMoving OutWe Were Here, and Don't Starve Together.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. We tried several games out, but I remember Thomas was alone worked wonders.

It's easy controller-wise and you can quit the game anytime you want and return later. 

There's a story, but you don't need to pay attention at all. Overall it teaches you the basics of videoganes and you won't even really notice. It's super engaging.

• Like 2

To introduce him into the handling (feeling) of a controller he should play some sort of puzzle game like Tetris, Puyo Puyo or Bejeweled (easy to learn gameplay and contrlols).

Then, when he is comfotable with it, he can play something (easy) in 2D or without (much) camera controlls, like Lego games, the aforementioned Thomas was alone, Telltale games, Odin Sphere or Dragon´s Crown. 

If he's not used to using the controller, the main thing is to try and find games that use duel-analogue stick movement, but that don't require things to be done under a timer, or under strict penalty for failure - that can allow someone to get the feel for the basic motions without feeling like they are being punished as they learn!

I'd recommend something like The Witness, maybe for first-person? - where the controls are similar to an FPS, but there is no punishment for failure, and no time-limits (aside from one thing very near the end of the game.)

Maybe something like a Life is Strange or a Telltale game, or maybe something like Murdered: Soul Suspect for 3rd person? - where he can get the rhythm of a third person movement without being scolded by the game if he get's it wrong.

In terms of 2D controls, there are a lot of great indie platform-puzzlers that have simplified control schemes, and allow the player to slow down without penalty, as the game is more about figuring out a way to proceed than about lightning reflexes or precision platforming, and don't rely on combat encounters or anything too action-heavy - maybe something like The Swapper / Limbo / Braid / Inside?

The other suggestion, simply for figuring out timing and getting familiar with the controller layout, would be something like an easier rhythm game - say, the Persona Dancing games, or Parappa or Invector  (playing on the easiest settings at first, obviously) - those easy modes in those games aren't overtly punishing, but a bit of playing those would certainly allow the :triangle::cross::circle::square: layout to become engrained in the way it will need to be for more action-oriented games down the line, I think.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Assuming console doesn't matter:

Pokemon: Easy to get into. But once you are hooked, you wont become unhooked easily.

Skyrim: Big Game, and immersive.

Fable: Another Big Immersive game.

Sonic Mania: You can't go far wrong with the Blue Blur in 2D.

Batman Arkham Asylum: Just because BATMAN.

Final Fantasy X: Because why not.

I know about 60% are RPGs...

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If he's not used to using the controller, the main thing is to try and find games that use duel-analogue stick movement, but that don't require things to be done under a timer, or under strict penalty for failure - that can allow someone to get the feel for the basic motions without feeling like they are being punished as they learn!

I'd recommend something like The Witness, maybe for first-person? - where the controls are similar to an FPS, but there is no punishment for failure, and no time-limits (aside from one thing very near the end of the game.)

Maybe something like a Life is Strange or a Telltale game, or maybe something like Murdered: Soul Suspect for 3rd person? - where he can get the rhythm of a third person movement without being scolded by the game if he get's it wrong.

In terms of 2D controls, there are a lot of great indie platform-puzzlers that have simplified control schemes, and allow the player to slow down without penalty, as the game is more about figuring out a way to proceed than about lightning reflexes or precision platforming, and don't rely on combat encounters or anything too action-heavy - maybe something like The Swapper / Limbo / Braid / Inside?

The other suggestion, simply for figuring out timing and getting familiar with the controller layout, would be something like an easier rhythm game - say, the Persona Dancing games, or Parappa or Invector  (playing on the easiest settings at first, obviously) - those easy modes in those games aren't overtly punishing, but a bit of playing those would certainly allow the :triangle::cross::circle::square: layout to become engrained in the way it will need to be for more action-oriented games down the line, I think.

Thank you for all the suggestions,  and the rhythm game to help memorize was a really good idea, he's not unfamiliar with controllers but he's also not super dexterous with it, he plays SNES from time to time but only the same games like Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong or Final Fight and he's over reliant on save game states and always pass on the controller when it gets tough, despite me telling him that the little struggles will help him get better, I talked to him this morning before coming to work regarding the suggestions and he said he really wants to try it, so thanks for being so helpful.

12 hours ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

Currently, I'm seeing everyone recommending AAA titles, so I'll offer a few indies to spice things up.

I highly recommend Night in the Woods, a solid story experience with a beautiful art-style, likeable characters, and a grounded atmosphere littered with little things that make it all special when combined together. It elegantly and consistently combines witty banter with mature themes of growing up and moments that are disturbingly relatable to today's modern society. While not all the gameplay beats are perfect in terms of polish, it does little (if anything at all) to detract from your experience with the game. Overall, it is a fantastic game that deserves my highest praises!

Another fun casual game I would recommend is Wuppo. It's a relatively short (around 4-5 hours long when not accounting for collectibles), adventure-platformer with a wonderfully unique art-style and world, as well as a charming story, playing as a Wum simply attempting to find a new home. The world and story are easily digestible, being a joy to explore, while having a decent amount of lore if he is interested. The bosses are simple and fun, ranging from small 1 on 1 fights, to a brawl against a massive beast, usually supplementing the story in a neat way. One last game I would recommend is Lonely Mountains: Downhill, a peaceful mountain-biking romp with nothing but the peaceful serenity of the mountains that you bolt down.

Sorry if these synopses were very short, but I didn't want to ramble too much. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for the suggestions, Nigh in the Woods is a game that I always wanted to try, and after reading your synopsis I'm even more interested, I'll make sure to grab it today, thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sardavanua said:

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. We tried several games out, but I remember Thomas was alone worked wonders.

It's easy controller-wise and you can quit the game anytime you want and return later. 

There's a story, but you don't need to pay attention at all. Overall it teaches you the basics of videoganes and you won't even really notice. It's super engaging.

I have heard about Thomas was Alone but apart from the name I had no idea what it was about, it looks really interesting, thank you for sharing I'll definitely try it.

15 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

he likes to watch me play 

Watching might be enough. You said he likes tv, this is probably just another form of entertainment for him to enjoy watching. He might genuinely have no desire to play himself but he gets enjoyment from watching you play. My wife does play things very occasionally but she watches me play.... everything. This is just what she enjoys doing. She gets involved with the trophies, looking up guides, solutions to puzzles the works. She only played one game last year, Warhammer Chaosbane which was alright ?‍♂️ but I'm 100% certain she'd tell you the best thing last year gaming wise was Skyrim which she watched me play, head in the official guide, for 92 hours.

Failing that, Dead Nation. For whatever reason, spouses of psnprofiles members seem to love Dead Nation ?‍♂️

• Like 1

Have you considered the Uncharted series? On easy, it's a pretty good starter game if you're into that. Also, if I recall correctly, the PS4 Spiderman and Miles Morales have accessibility options, so you can put it on Easy and have the option to remove the QTE prompts if he isn't into that kind of thing. With that, PS4 Spiderman games would be a breeze. There are also other Spiderman games, I'm sure your husband might get a kick out of Shattered Dimensions since you play as 4 different Spidermen, Classic, Ultimate, Noir, and 2099.

I know it got mentioned earlier, but I have to recommend Pode. I just finished it with my partner and it was such a joy. It's a puzzle platformer with relatively basic controls, so you can work together on solving the puzzles and immersing yourself in the beautiful environment. 

You could also try Melbit's World. It's a fun PlayLink game, that uses your phone as a controller, so it could be a great starting place for a non-gamer. You basically have to lead Melbit's to safety across an obstacle course, tapping, swiping or rotating your phone to control the traps. 

I'm also going to recommend Totally Reliable Delivery Service, for its sheer ridiculousness and fun. It's a wacky physics-based game, that is perfect in small doses. Seeing my partner accidentally shoot across the screen on a rocket never failed to amuse me. 

Other notable couch co-op games: 

Degrees of Separation - a beautiful puzzle game, with simple controls (currently on sale)

Moving Out - much less frustrating than Overcooked, and you can turn on assist mode to help you out

It Takes Two - maybe 1 to work towards, there's a reason it won GoTY. 1 of the best co-op games ever made

3 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I have heard about Thomas was Alone but apart from the name I had no idea what it was about, it looks really interesting, thank you for sharing I'll definitely try it.

I was going to suggest it too but I forgot. Give it a try if you can.

4 hours ago, Cleggworth said:

Watching might be enough. You said he likes tv, this is probably just another form of entertainment for him to enjoy watching. He might genuinely have no desire to play himself but he gets enjoyment from watching you play. My wife does play things very occasionally but she watches me play.... everything. This is just what she enjoys doing. She gets involved with the trophies, looking up guides, solutions to puzzles the works. She only played one game last year, Warhammer Chaosbane which was alright ?‍♂️ but I'm 100% certain she'd tell you the best thing last year gaming wise was Skyrim which she watched me play, head in the official guide, for 92 hours.

Failing that, Dead Nation. For whatever reason, spouses of psnprofiles members seem to love Dead Nation ?‍♂️

You are absolute right about liking to watch, he mentioned many times that he prefer to watch, and he's a co pilot much like your wife is yours haha he helps me with puzzles, sometimes even with grinding stuff, he watched me play all Kingdom Hearts games front to back, if he doesn't feel like playing I'll respect it of course, and the fact that he has an interest in watching me play is good enough.

• Like 1

Since he likes books, visual novel might the perfect entrance for anyone that never played a game before, there's barely any input commands and you spend most of the time reading texts.

Puzzle games like some have mentionated before, Tetris 3D and Puyo Puyo Tetris are easy to play, fun and very addicting, even more with multiplayer.

If you're feeling more adventurous I would pick the Uncharted series, the easiest difficult setting makes you pratcically invicible and the majority enemies die in one shot. 

Easy and fun coop games, I play Dynasty Warrior games split screen with my Dad, or scrolling beat-em-ups like Streets Of Rage and Dragon's Crown, you only have to worry about 8 way movement and you can have tons of fun just bashing one of two buttons.

14 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Easy and fun coop games, I play Dynasty Warrior games split screen with my Dad, or scrolling beat-em-ups like Streets Of Rage and Dragon's Crown, you only have to worry about 8 way movement and you can have tons of fun just bashing one of two buttons.

I had a lot of fun getting the platinum in Dragon's Crown it's a really fun and addictive game, I have never tried coop tho so it's a nice reason to revisit it, thanks for the tip.

Sharing hobbies is important for good relationship indeed, but I can't in good conciousness advise gaming, rather, how about leting him be free, free from this gaming world and all associated addiction anxiety and troubles.

My wife is trying her best to pull me from this gaming nightmare, and I appreciate her for doing so.