Initial thoughts after 16 hours playtime

SzzPS

3 hours ago, SzzPS said:

you don’t have to get the plat now in a week a month or a year

My main issue with grindy games (it's a grind, let's be honest) like this is we (the community) have zero guarantee the game will be supported in a year. That means completionists (most of us around here are) won't even touch the game until it's been well documented to be bug-free and the 100% is consistently possible.

By the time some players start earning the 100% (late February I'd assume), those of us that were interested might try it out if the completion time is below 250 hours.

Having said all that, what I've seen of the game looks badass. Lots of love went into development and the passion behind this project is immediately obvious. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Helyx said:

My main issue with grindy games (it's a grind, let's be honest) like this is we (the community) have zero guarantee the game will be supported in a year. That means completionists (most of us around here are) won't even touch the game until it's been well documented to be bug-free and the 100% is consistently possible.

By the time some players start earning the 100% (late February I'd assume), those of us that were interested might try it out if the completion time is below 250 hours.

Having said all that, what I've seen of the game looks badass. Lots of love went into development and the passion behind this project is immediately obvious. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Solved the problem, I started playing the game on my secondary account, just for fun, not thinking about the Plat. 

So far the experience is incredible, I play 2 person coop with the game public and always had people joining the team.  Each mission you want to explore deeper and when the hordes arrive.. Braces yourself dwarfs.. The party begins. 

The best way I could think of the game is like No Man's Sky and Doom had a bastard child.  It is that fantastic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P-L-E-K said:

@SzzPS

Are you sure about "everything is shared"?

I played with a mate 4 misisons yesterday.
I got 4 trophies, he got none.
According to the menu also no progress...
Did we do something wrong or is there another reason?

thx

For the XB1 version at any rate, several trophies were Host only, according to a post on TrueAchievements.com ?.

5 hours ago, Helyx said:

This game is going to get NMS levels of support for several years to come so you have nothing to worry about there :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.

Great in depth analysis of the game that I agree with based on my 30 hours of PC play. 

I would not worry about dev support. These guys have gone through Early Access via Steam and charged nothing for extra content, updates, DLC etc. Furthermore they've just released the first "Season" on the PC, where you can get new missions, collectables and so forth, free of charge. They've made it quite clear they don't think paid for DLC is the way forward and they're very committed to DRG. 

It is a fantastic game and I can safely say the solo mode is great fun and if I do start going for the platinum (looking more and more likely) I will start with the 100 solo missions trophy to get it done. Bosco to the rescue! 

Edited by CptToffer

10 hours ago, ET3RNAL_KOMBAT83 said:

Nice, honest in depth perspective on a lot of things! Good stuff man! Definitely sounds more enjoyable than the few rounds I tried playing earlier. I was so confused! Haha, but enjoyed it just the same. 1f44f.png1f44f.png

Thank you! 

6 hours ago, Helyx said:

Thanks for your nice comments and that is true with it possibly not being supported in a year but the way they’ve gone about it the past 2 years I’d honestly say it’s safe  but of course no one could ever know and the time to 100% can be way lower if people utilise just joining games at the end ofc not the most fun way but the most efficient but still would you leave at 200-300 hours which is still quite a lot!

2 hours ago, P-L-E-K said:

@SzzPS

Hey not quite literally everything is shared there’s still things you have to do yourself, I meant as in like the rare minerals trophies, fixing MULES and dreadnought trophies are shared progress. I know this because someone in my game picked up an alien artefact but I have 1/5 progress for it. 

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

For the XB1 version at any rate, several trophies were Host only, according to a post on TrueAchievements.com 1f914.png.

I managed to get “Party time”, while not being the host which according to TA was a host only trophy ? 

47 minutes ago, CptToffer said:

Great in depth analysis of the game that I agree with based on my 30 hours of PC play. 

Thank you very much!

3 hours ago, P-L-E-K said:

@SzzPS

I played with a mate 4 misisons yesterday.
I got 4 trophies, he got none.
According to the menu also no progress...
Did we do something wrong or is there another reason?

This interests me as well. I'm hoping the progress is shared equally, especially for missions.

You earned 5 trophies total, 3 of them related to barrels which are most likely not shared.

Your coop partner should have earned the 2 trophies that are not highlighted, right?

GoXB2MC.png

I was kind of worried about the grind thing. But after trying it I really liked the game and I don't care about, lets say, 200-300 hours of gameplay to get 100% if it just come by naturally playing the game.

Talking about that, do you have any idea which trophies won't come naturally and you have to work for it?

12 minutes ago, solidsnake_cs said:

I was kind of worried about the grind thing. But after trying it I really liked the game and I don't care about, lets say, 200-300 hours of gameplay to get 100% if it just come by naturally playing the game.

Talking about that, do you have any idea which trophies won't come naturally and you have to work for it?

Off the top of my head, some of the difficulty ones won't come naturally because there isn't a requirement to up the difficulty. Same for the Elite stuff. 

There's also some specifics like riding the digger for a period of time with everyone shooting a certain amount of bugs. It 'may' occur but it also may not, if that makes sense 

15 minutes ago, solidsnake_cs said:

Hey, if I’m being honest the only one I don’t think anyone could get naturally or would very difficult to get naturally is “car pool”, the chances of playing with randoms or even friends would be hard to do without co ordination. 

As for this everyone gets progress for missions completed. The barrel trophies are shared too, killing enemy types as long as you put damage, the 3 mineral related ones, kick 10 barrels  if someone does it just kick 1 more and the 3000 points if one person gets the 3K just get 1 more point to get, put barrels in launch and drop pod are shared too. So in conclusion you get progress or unlock the majority of stuff for other players actions ??

1 hour ago, HusKy said:

This interests me as well. I'm hoping the progress is shared equally, especially for missions.

Edited by SzzPS
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CptToffer said:

Off the top of my head, some of the difficulty ones won't come naturally because there isn't a requirement to up the difficulty. Same for the Elite stuff. 

There's also some specifics like riding the digger for a period of time with everyone shooting a certain amount of bugs. It 'may' occur but it also may not, if that makes sense 

So it seems a boosting section will be needed for some trophies, glad those don't seem too time consuming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, solidsnake_cs said:

So it seems a boosting section will be needed for some trophies, glad those don't seem too time consuming.

I think the main grind is going to be getting all Dwarfs to gold promotion. I'm sure that takes a bloody long time but I could be wrong. Got no idea of a total time but that is going to be the grindy bit I think. 

Still on the fence about whether to start it ??

Played a few hours of the game yesterday.

I ended up disliking the game, so it a pass for me. I'm not a huge fan of FPS though, so my opinion doesn't mean much.

Although, the game seems way more fun playing in coop with friends. Playing with random people will provably be a drag in the hardest missions.

1 hour ago, Bkos-mosX said:

I ended up disliking the game, so it a pass for me. I'm not a huge fan of FPS though, so my opinion doesn't mean much.

Although, the game seems way more fun playing in coop with friends. Playing with random people will provably be a drag in the hardest missions.

I'm not a big fan of FPS either. But after playing it I realised its more about exploration than shooting, so thats why I liked it.

55 minutes ago, solidsnake_cs said:

I'm not a big fan of FPS either. But after playing it I realised its more about exploration than shooting, so thats why I liked it.

Yeah it's a very subtle blend of both. Some of the boss fights are tough though.

2 hours ago, Bkos-mosX said:

Yeah. For the hardest missions/trophies you'll need a team of folk you've played with a while I reckon. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CptToffer said:

Excellent. I've downloaded it and I'm genuinely considering starting it, like a total lunatic. 

Same for me! The more gameplays I see, the more I'm considering it. Maybe I'll never get the platinum, but it seems so fun!

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 0:04 AM, Helyx said:

This game was originally released in 2018 on PC Steam. The developers have a long history of continually updating and improving and adding new content. I played the game a couple of years ago on PC and I can see how much they have continued to improve and polish in the PS4 / PS5 release.

I think you can expect it will be properly supported as long as there are sufficient player base and this is the type of game that creates a stable player base that sticks around for a long time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cusman said:

This game was originally released in 2018 on PC Steam. The developers have a long history of continually updating and improving and adding new content. I played the game a couple of years ago on PC and I can see how much they have continued to improve and polish in the PS4 / PS5 release.

I think you can expect it will be properly supported as long as there are sufficient player base and this is the type of game that creates a stable player base that sticks around for a long time.

Totally agreed. There is no reason to think this won't be supported. 

2 hours ago, Kefka1986 said:

Same for me! The more gameplays I see, the more I'm considering it. Maybe I'll never get the platinum, but it seems so fun!

I have got my first trophy. It has begun! 

• Like 1