DS4's Analog Sticks Wearing Out?

Chambers35

Recently I started to notice that I was losing grip with my thumbs on my DS4's analog sticks, and after looking at them I realised that the rubber had become smooth rather than textured :( I've had my PS4 since launch and I've played it quite a lot, but them wearing out so soon just seems ridiculous! I mean I've had DS3's for years and it never happened to them. And I know the design and material is different, but still.

I decided to contact Sony and they also agreed that they shouldn't have worn out already so they're going to either fix mine, or just replace it with a new one... which I'm definitely happy about. Can't really complain with their customer service, I mean it's only cost me £3 to send it to them.

Now the reason I'm posting about this is because I'm wondering if there's any of you who have also had their DS4's wearing out in what seems like no time at all, and really it's just a bad material they've used. I'm also wondering if I'm somehow being too "rough" with my pad?  :huh:

Another forum I'm on has a thread like this where it has affected a few people. Curiously, every single person in that thread that has a worn out DS4 is from Europe, not a single person from North America has posted claiming their DS4 is like that. 

I know mine still looks, feels and works like it is brand new. It is good to hear Sony are taking care of the issue though, hopefully the next one you get gives you many trouble free years of service.

Parker

Another forum I'm on has a thread like this where it has affected a few people. Curiously, every single person in that thread that has a worn out DS4 is from Europe, not a single person from North America has posted claiming their DS4 is like that. 

I know mine still looks, feels and works like it is brand new. It is good to hear Sony are taking care of the issue though, hopefully the next one you get gives you many trouble free years of service.

Parker

That's pretty strange. I wonder if Europe are getting a cheaper material or something like that? :hmm:

Yeah it's good that they're sorting it out, and I'll just do it again if I have the same issue. A bit annoying though that I'm going to feel like I have to be careful whilst playing... not that I feel like I'm abusing it lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, same thing's happened to me and a mate. We're both Australians, obviously (so EU market). It's not a deal-breaker or anything, just kind of annoying and a bit sad considering how expensive the controllers are. I've probably played my PS4 for around 150/160 hours so far; so that's pretty early for it to be wearing out haha

That's pretty strange. I wonder if Europe are getting a cheaper material or something like that? :hmm:

Yeah it's good that they're sorting it out, and I'll just do it again if I have the same issue. A bit annoying though that I'm going to feel like I have to be careful whilst playing... not that I feel like I'm abusing it lol.

Send it to me, I'll check it out for ya.  :awesome:

Edited by rhyperiorx
  • Like 1

At first glance the thumb stick look on the lower side of things when it comes to material, when compared directly with DS3.

Mine is only 9 days old but the first thing that struck me the most is the quality of that thumb stick. Guess my hunch was right

that It'll wear down sooner than my 2009 DS3.

Note: If Am not mistaken. The PS4 sold in Europe was 'Made in Japan' and not the rush units from China's FOXCONN.

Again, I may me wrong on this, But info came from a 'Sony Focus shop', here, locally. Hopefully her's not bluffing either

since he kept on saying that to our local CX as well. That units here in Singapore are imported from HongKong but manufactured

into one of the Sony's Japan warehouse.

If the above is TRUE, then Am surprised that units from CHINA warehouse were made tougher if not more durable than the ones sold in Europe.  :hmm:  

ive noticed this on one of my ds4 controllers as well. im in canada so that goes against the whole europe thing. i will say that i do use my controllers rather hard. i play a lot of games and tend to push buttons or sticks harder than i should when on an intense part. ive had probably 4 ds3 controllers degrade in one manner or another (L3 fails to register on one, stick rubber wore out on another, one randomly starts registering buttons i havent pushed, etc) that being said i still feel that this is much too soon for noticeable wear. its really a shame, i love the ds4 and how it feels, but theyre having issues with last-ability and battery life already :(

Yeah, same thing's happened to me and a mate. We're both Australians, obviously (so EU market). It's not a deal-breaker or anything, just kind of annoying and a bit sad considering how expensive the controllers are. I've probably played my PS4 for around 150/160 hours so far; so that's pretty early for it to be wearing out haha

I agree; it's definitely not a deal breaker, but I don't think we should have to live with it/keep replacing them over and over.

Send it to me, I'll check it out for ya.  :awesome:

Lol, I can't :P It's already in Sony's hands.

At first glance the thumb stick look on the lower side of things when it comes to material, when compared directly with DS3.

Mine is only 9 days old but the first thing that struck me the most is the quality of that thumb stick. Guess my hunch was right

that It'll wear down sooner than my 2009 DS3.

Note: If Am not mistaken. The PS4 sold in Europe was 'Made in Japan' and not the rush units from China's FOXCONN.

Again, I may me wrong on this, But info came from a 'Sony Focus shop', here, locally. Hopefully her's not bluffing either

since he kept on saying that to our local CX as well. That units here in Singapore are imported from HongKong but manufactured

into one of the Sony's Japan warehouse.

If the above is TRUE, then Am surprised that units from CHINA warehouse were made tougher if not more durable than the ones sold in Europe.  :hmm:  

It feels nice to start out with that's for sure, but for it to be degrading so soon is crap.

Not sure about everyone else but me and a friend from the same area both got consoles from China.

ive noticed this on one of my ds4 controllers as well. im in canada so that goes against the whole europe thing. i will say that i do use my controllers rather hard. i play a lot of games and tend to push buttons or sticks harder than i should when on an intense part. ive had probably 4 ds3 controllers degrade in one manner or another (L3 fails to register on one, stick rubber wore out on another, one randomly starts registering buttons i havent pushed, etc) that being said i still feel that this is much too soon for noticeable wear. its really a shame, i love the ds4 and how it feels, but theyre having issues with last-ability and battery life already :(

Maybe I'm the same then :hmm: Even so, they should be made to last... which it seems like some aren't.

This guy has another problem with both of his DS4's

Yeah I saw that. Mine definitely isn't that bad!

Touch wood I have had no issues with any of mine yet. 

I have been switching between two pads as the battery on one dies so maybe that has helped. 

Would I have to go to Sony is I have any issues, would the store I bought it from not replace it??

That might be helping out, at least it'll put less pressure on them by switching them up.

I asked Sony the same thing, I was wondering if I'd just be able to get the retailer to replace it. They seemed to think that they might have to swap the entire console if the pad came with it  :S

Happened to me, I'm North American. 

It got to the point that there was more plastic than rubber beneath my finger. I called Sony and they told me I could ship it to them and wait for two weeks to get my controller back, but that wasn't going to happen. I eventually ended up going to my retailer and they exchanged it without question. You could tell that I wasn't the first person to come in with the same issue.

I went to EB Games after this and bought Biogenik PS4 thumb grips. I recommend them to anyone, whether they've dealt with this problem (yet?) or not. I find the textured ones better than the original joysticks and even if I didn't, I wouldn't chance this happening again. It's really sad that I have to use a third-party accessory in fear that a part of the $400 bundle I just bought might fall apart without it  <_<