What's Up with This Game's Graphics?

They look... weird. Fuzzy. Distorted. In fact, they look as if I'm looking through the screen-door effect of my HTC Vive on some older generation VR games.

I started this game on performance mode, but after being able to count every single pixel on Jack's sword and face I changed to resolution mode. It's better... but only slightly.

I just find it weird, especially for a Square Enix game. The cutscenes look flawless, but the pixelation of the characters during the actual gameplay is just strange. For reference, I am using a 4K Sony TV and every other game looks just fine on it.

• Like 4

I'd say it was my PS5, but a friend sent me a screenshot of her game and it looks the same. I really don't think it's just me lol.

Edit: After looking around more, it's not just me and there's nothing wrong with my PS5 or TV.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2022/03/14/strangers-of-paradise-final-fantasy-origin-review-ps5/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/tbu21t/stranger_of_paradise_final_fantasy_origin_demo/

https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps5/stranger-of-paradise-final-fantasy-origin

Edited by DeathlessVoid
  • Like 3

I think this is a sign of a low budget and a strict deadline from Square Enix. Should have been delayed a few months to give the fine people at Team Ninja time to optimize the game. This should have been 4K 60fps with a 120fps option, there's no excuse.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Misshandlad said:

I agree, im usually not the "graphic" kind of person, but even I react to how bad this game looks some times. It's not even near the graphic quality they were able to pull off in Nioh R or Nioh 2R on the ps5, and those games even run at 120 fps.

Im disappointed.

This is what my friend and I were saying to each other as well, as both fans of Nioh. Graphics surely do not make the game, but this one took me aback for an AAA title from a generally good developer. It's also way too dark, even with HDR on and pumping up all the correct values.

18 minutes ago, YesImAPwnda said:

I wouldn't recommend playing it in Performance Mode.
The Game can be sometimes a bit laggy with Resolution Mode but it just looks way better and it isnt capped 30fps so try it :)

Agreed, this is how I'm playing it. Some FPS drops (like when the ballista was bombing me with a lot of enemies surrounding me) but looks slightly better. Wouldn't say "way". 

I think people that don't see the problem are either playing on 1080, 1440, or are sitting across the room from their TV. I'm directly in front of my TV.

...or maybe they need glasses ?

Edited by DeathlessVoid
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SnakeSound222 said:

The demo's graphics seemed like they were from the PS3 era. I tried Performance Mode first and then switched to Resolution but it only looked slightly better (the FPS seemed to be the same though). Disappointed to hear that these issues are in the full game.

My friend played the beta and said the graphics during the beta were even worse.

But yeah, if you played the demo then know that nothing is "upgraded" to the full release.

• Like 1

Probably in the minority but I kinda enjoyed how it looked. It gave me flashbacks like it was a really good PS3 game, just kinda enjoyed the vibe and I was excited to play it, havent been like that in a few years. I was the kinda person that enjoyed Spider-Man Edge of Time (for the most part) because it was all enclosed and a combat focused button masher, I enjoy that kinda stuff. I do kind of wish there was just a 'normal' mode cuz there will never be a 'correct' mode, just preference. I think I put it on performance because I thought the game would make the PS4 sound like it was gonna take off if it was on a graphical mode but it was relatively quiet. The only issue I ran into was going into the outdoor forest area, forget the name, I really struggled to even see where I was going when the sun was out. One of the areas reminded me of FF2's Pandemonium and it's like the game has every major dungeon from the first game just without the overworld. 

• Like 3

I literally said this on the other thread! Granted, it's kinda in the beginning and end portion of the graphics kinda drops in quality but everything in between seems good to me! This definitely should've stayed in the oven for a couple of more month's, also would've probably helped with sales if it wasn't released so close to Elden Ring. I'm not a huge graphics person myself but when I buy a game from this gen then the graphics better live up to par with this gen and not the previous one! This is a rushed game in almost every aspect, still fun to play though and at least the game is functional and not riddled with other major bugs. Also LOL at the Chaos troll comments! ?