Rumor: Overwatch 1 will be merged with Overwatch 2 in October, potential issues

Stinkyremy

On 17.6.2022 at 6:19 AM, Stinkyremy said:

Now here comes the difficult part.

So you cannot actually buy standard OW1 on the PSN store atm, it has been delisted in favour for an OW1&2 mega pack thing here: And while this may seem like an OK deal for anyone who does not have the game already, it is a bit of a rip off for a F2P games which is asking you to pay full price for cosmetics.

More of an issue for those of us who know this game is going to be dead in a few months.

The real issue is in the fine print:

Yep that is right, you need to doxx yourself to blizzard to play the game you might have already bought and if you don't well screw you, goodbye game.

Personally I am in no rush and do not want to be giving my personal details to a souless mega corporation to get access to a game I actually already own!

For more clarification from official Blizzard site here:

So in short OW1 is fully dead in October. If like me you bought the game and do not want to doxx yourself, tough luck and while OW2 will be F2P you will not be able to play it without handing over your phone number.

This may not be an issue for some of you but it is for me.

If anyone has any insight into the actual Legal processes from at least Sonys end of us buying a game that we are then locked out of because of an update and being forced to hand over personal information to play I would really appreciate your knowledge.

My basic understanding is something like this would be covered in the EULA of OW1 with something along the lines of "we reserve the rights to terminate the service at our discretion" with this being classed as that, but i cannot think of a way that Sony is legally allowed to sell us a product that then forces up to require to hand over personal information to a third party developer. At least in my country under data protection laws.

isn't it kinda normal for F2P Games that you have to pay for cosmetics? Look at Games like Fortnite. 
You can still get OW1, like you said, with that Watchpoint Pack.. if you already have OW1 (I mean, you can get it for next to nothing in local stores) you don't have to pay for the extra stuff. It's your decision to do so, no one forces you.

About the phone number situation. This is a measure to go against smurfs and cheaters, because otherwise they could just create an endless number of accounts since it f2p. For me, blizzard already has my number for like 3 or 4 years, just because you need to register it in order to appear on the top500 Leaderboards. Again, it's your own decision to do so. If you don't like it, don't play it, its easy :) There are many good games out there.

To your next point: Sony won't do anything about it. You can compare it with shutting down Game Servers. You just bought the license to play the game for as long as Blizzard is willing to keep it online. There was never stated that you can play it forever. That's the thing with online games, at some point they'll die or get replaced. You paid for OW1, if that gets replaced with OW2 then it has nothing to do with the money you paid for the first game. 

About the Trophy situation. There are 2 possible scenarios for me:

- Blizzard will put OW2 Trophies as a DLC in the existing OW1 list. Which means they'll change some of the existing trophies which cannot be obtained in OW2. Remember, Blizzard already changed trophies after hero changes (Mercys rez, Torbjörns Ultimate, Symmetras carwash trophy and so on)

- Overwatch 2 will get a whole new trophy list, which means Overwatch 1 trophies/platinum won't be obtainable anymore. Not the first game where you can't get the platinum anymore due to server shutdowns and stuff.

We can't say for sure how Blizzard will handle the trophies. So if you don't have the plat, I would recommend to get it as soon as possible. :) 

Edited by pgsmolder

blizzard is becoming one of the worst companies in the business in terms of shady money making schemes.  I have no problem avoiding their games.  OW2 pretty much always was just a updated version of 1.  who really care about a few different maps and locations.  It's basically just an expansion of the 1st game with very little new ideas if any.  It's just selling you the same shit twice as is same characters same game modes with slight variation.  I'd avoid it until it's on a deep sale.  It will be here the rest of the ps5 era into ps6 so why bother being in a hurry to award blizzard with a full price day 1 purchase.  Diablo 4 is gonna be another mess guaranteed with loot boxes and pay to win schemes.  long grindy trophies to keep you playing forever to spend money.  Forget it.

• Like 1

Since the game was also distributed on discs I cant see them trying to make OW2 a new client to download. I dont even know if PSN properly supports something like that, but people can barely figure out how to upgrade a ps4 disc to a ps5 copy, so trying to get them to find a new client sounds like a nightmare. I guess they could plaster banners all over the game hub and tell you to chuck your disc in the bin, some people might see that.

38 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Diablo 4 is gonna be another mess guaranteed with loot boxes and pay to win schemes.  long grindy trophies to keep you playing forever to spend money.

From someone who has played it internally, you're exceptionally wrong.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DesmaBR said:

According to Kotaku, Overwatch 1 will become unplayable in October

https://kotaku.com/overwatch-2-october-release-date-multiplatform-replace-1849101931

I figure this is going to be a Fall Guys situation. Overwatch 2 will become it's own thing, maybe trophies will carry over and autopop, maybe they won't. 

But anyone who hasn't platinumed Overwatch 1 will be left with an unattainable plat. 

Wish I had never started this game. Going to forever be a stain on my trophy list. 

• Like 1

While I appreciate bringing some attention to this subject, and putting it all nicely... "doxxing yourself"?

It's literally no different than turning on a 2FA with your phone number. Are you telling me you use any service without a 2FA in 2022? Just because you don't want corporations to have your phone number?

b r u h

the OP has no idea what he's talking about, just a bunch of speculation affirmed as fact, which it isn't in reality.

what we know now: https://www.pcgamer.com/once-overwatch-2-arrives-youll-never-be-able-to-play-overwatch-1-again/ instead of ow2 features being rolled over to ow1 (which is the plan stated by devs two years ago), it seems now ow2 will simply replace ow1.

there are no news that would suggest ow2 has a new trophy list. there are no news that would suggest ow2 retains the old ow1 trophy list. however the trophy database and the operating system perfectly allows both outcomes. that is all.

i'd prolly do ow1 right now just in case, because the devs have changed their plans and the roadmap towards ow2 multiple times. anyway there is nothing else there and definitely not enough for a wallpost.

• Like 2

On 17.6.2022 at 6:19 AM, Stinkyremy said:

THIS IS NOT A RUMOUR, MODS HAVE CHANGED THE TITLE WITHOUT READING THE OP, THERE IS OFFICIAL PROOF WITHIN THE OP AND LINKS TO THE OFFICIAL BLIZZARD WEBSITE EXPLAINING THAT OVERWATCH 1 WILL CEASE TO FUNCTION ON RELEASE OF OVERWATCH 2.

So Overwatch 1 will be fully dead in October so no actual way to play Overwatch 1 again. Now while some of you might know that Overwatch 2 will be F2P and OW1 & OW2 will be merged together there is some more pressing and "serious" issues related to this.

So to get the simple things out the way.

Trophies for OW1 might and possibly will stop being able to be achieved. EDIT : I looked at the trophies and seeing they are taking away all the 2CP (capture point) maps in OW2, even if they transfer the character kill trophies over there will be no way to get the 2CP double cap trophy of capturing both points without dying unless you have already gotten it.

All in game cosmetic items that you have unlocked will transfer over to OW2.

OW2 will be a cross platform progression so that you can play and carry your unlocks to any platform (PC,xbox, switch and PSN) via a battle.net account though an issue is with this as I will explain.

In game lootboxes are NOT going to be in OW2 and while we have had zero communication from Blizzard about this (they are being sneaky on purpose as you will see) it is pretty much a given that there will be no lootbox transferring to OW2 on the date they transition.

This also applies to the in game currency. Though it is confirmed OW2 has an in game shop and OW2 will have a currency you use for purchases from the in game shop, again there have been no word whether there will be a conversion rate at all.

So it would be smart for anyone who plans on playing OW2 to open all your lootboxes and possibly spend all your currency before the transition in October. Keep an eye on Official notices for if and when they actually explain what will happen.

Now here comes the difficult part.

So you cannot actually buy standard OW1 on the PSN store atm, it has been delisted in favour for an OW1&2 mega pack thing here: And while this may seem like an OK deal for anyone who does not have the game already, it is a bit of a rip off for a F2P games which is asking you to pay full price for cosmetics.

More of an issue for those of us who know this game is going to be dead in a few months.

The real issue is in the fine print:

Yep that is right, you need to doxx yourself to blizzard to play the game you might have already bought and if you don't well screw you, goodbye game.

Personally I am in no rush and do not want to be giving my personal details to a souless mega corporation to get access to a game I actually already own!

For more clarification from official Blizzard site here:

So in short OW1 is fully dead in October. If like me you bought the game and do not want to doxx yourself, tough luck and while OW2 will be F2P you will not be able to play it without handing over your phone number.

This may not be an issue for some of you but it is for me.

If anyone has any insight into the actual Legal processes from at least Sonys end of us buying a game that we are then locked out of because of an update and being forced to hand over personal information to play I would really appreciate your knowledge.

My basic understanding is something like this would be covered in the EULA of OW1 with something along the lines of "we reserve the rights to terminate the service at our discretion" with this being classed as that, but i cannot think of a way that Sony is legally allowed to sell us a product that then forces up to require to hand over personal information to a third party developer. At least in my country under data protection laws.

You're doxxing yourself here, to your phone provider, to Google etc, but over watch is the problem?

People are also forgetting the fact that OW2 on PS5 will require a new trophy list. So either way we're getting a new list! The situation I'm hoping for is that the original list is retired, and a brand new list is introduced for PS4 and PS5 in October. Hopefully like some other online games with seamless autopop between both versions so you can play and switch at your will.

On 24/06/2022 at 0:53 AM, Sydoki said:

While I appreciate bringing some attention to this subject, and putting it all nicely... "doxxing yourself"?

It's literally no different than turning on a 2FA with your phone number. Are you telling me you use any service without a 2FA in 2022? Just because you don't want corporations to have your phone number?

b r u h

Sony and steam are the only companies that has my details only Sony has my number for 2FA, because I buy digital goods on PSN so I don't want to loose it yet they don't have a steam guard system.

Why would I want to give blizzard my doxx. I bought 1 and only 1 blizzard game ever, a game on disc, overwatch. Why should I have to doxx myself to some souless corperation every time I want to play a video game. Crap like that would just make me pirate games, similarly any game with denuvo I pirate it when it gets cracked.

I/we are the customers yet we are treated with contempt

On 25/06/2022 at 4:30 AM, lostforever77 said:

You're doxxing yourself here, to your phone provider, to Google etc, but over watch is the problem?

Doxx myself with a pseudonym? lol wot?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stinkyremy said:

Sony and steam are the only companies that has my details only Sony has my number for 2FA, because I buy digital goods on PSN so I don't want to loose it yet they don't have a steam guard system.

Why would I want to give blizzard my doxx. I bought 1 and only 1 blizzard game ever, a game on disc, overwatch. Why should I have to doxx myself to some souless corperation every time I want to play a video game. Crap like that would just make me pirate games, similarly any game with denuvo I pirate it when it gets cracked.

I/we are the customers yet we are treated with contempt

Doxx myself with a pseudonym? lol wot?

They still know who you are and where you live, but sure

• 2 weeks later...

Based on glancing over some things in the beta, going through the heroes and filtering "Achievement" sprays, I can only assume that the list will likely convert over to OW2 instead. Especially those heroes that have completely different abilities in OW2, such as Orisa, the trophy list seems to have been changed. The trophy that was originally the "Halt State" trophy for pulling enemies into 1000 damage with Halt! ability, is now awarded for Terrable Terrable Damage achievement, which Terra Surge is her new Ult. Many others that are different abilities now have the same pattern. All of the other sprays are still there and show "Unlocked by completing X achievement". 

Currently Junker Queen and Sojourn do not really have anything viewable in the Hero Gallery, they are either 0/0 or 0/1 (Junker Queen lets you view her Gold weapon for some reason). I did notice it seems only the DLC heroes that have been updated somehow with their abilities, have different achievement titles, but the launch heroes have the same, even though some are changed up quite a bit. Bastion's kit is quite different, same titles. Cassidy still has "Whoa There!" but his flashbang is now a magnetic grenade and doesn't interrupt anything. Doomfist still has "Cratered"... unfortunately... but the other one is now "Super Power Punch".

(Edit: clarified in a reply these are from Bounty Hunter mode in Arcade)

I also see 3 new achievement sprays that don't exist in current OW. "Not So Fast, Outlaw" which looks like Widow and Orisa fighting each other, "Pay Up" which looks like Ashe and a tiger skin Bob stalking like hunters, and "Quick on the Draw" which shows Mc-Cassidy in a chinese style hat after headshotting 3 silhouettes behind him. Wondering if these will be PvE achievements/trophies.

So my hunch on this, is that we will probably have OW1 get converted to OW2, and a PS5 list will be created. Regarding the PvE, if it were to get converted, I would think it would become a "DLC" list outside of the platinum. Actually kinda makes sense, since the PvP portion is expected to be F2P and you'll be paying for the PvE if I remember correctly. I think it would be weird in either scenario, where they would create a new list separate from OW1, and you would either get credit for both games, or OW1 would just cease to be achievable anymore. I don't think they would do that, and knowingly piss off many people, but then again Diablo Immortal happened lol.

Edited by Banananaki
corrected on "new achievements" already existing
  • Like 1

Many Overwatch trophy requirements were changed over time when hero abilities were reworked so it's not a problem for devs to change them again even if it means changing half of the list. But as original OW is now delisted there are two scenarios, they either release OW2 as a separate game or return the ability to download delisted client again which will be a v2.0 version now. If I go to Overwatch in my library it now points to the Overwatch 2: Watchpoint store page so it's just a renamed old page. When Fall Guys were delisted new version received new store page and new trophy list, here situation is different and it looks like nothing was really delisted and Blizzard just came up with an idea how to make people buy Overwatch a second time.

But that doesn't really mean anything, it's still not clear how it will look eventually. In October we may receive either new store page where we can download a new game client and current page will disappear leading to new trophy list/unobtainable trophies or OW2 will be just a massive patch for existing game client with updated trophy requirements.

I created a topic on their forum, sometimes devs reply there. If more people spam in that thread asking to provide official information they may notice it:

OW 2 and PlayStation Trophies question - Technical Support - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

On 10/07/2022 at 6:35 PM, KingSkovald said:

Many Overwatch trophy requirements were changed over time when hero abilities were reworked so it's not a problem for devs to change them again even if it means changing half of the list. But as original OW is now delisted there are two scenarios, they either release OW2 as a separate game or return the ability to download delisted client again which will be a v2.0 version now. If I go to Overwatch in my library it now points to the Overwatch 2: Watchpoint store page so it's just a renamed old page. When Fall Guys were delisted new version received new store page and new trophy list, here situation is different and it looks like nothing was really delisted and Blizzard just came up with an idea how to make people buy Overwatch a second time.

But that doesn't really mean anything, it's still not clear how it will look eventually. In October we may receive either new store page where we can download a new game client and current page will disappear leading to new trophy list/unobtainable trophies or OW2 will be just a massive patch for existing game client with updated trophy requirements.

I created a topic on their forum, sometimes devs reply there. If more people spam in that thread asking to provide official information they may notice it:

OW 2 and PlayStation Trophies question - Technical Support - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

Did it get deleted?

unsure if it's already been said but one thing about the trophies is that during the closed beta a couple of months ago, people on PC were unlocking an achievement for Orisa involving her new ultimate. Unsure if this is the same trophy as her current one, but the requirements were changed to match her rework. I don't think it was on a new list otherwise people would be unlocking trophies for Sojourn or Junker Queen afaik. There is no list available in the beta tho currently.

On 7/9/2022 at 10:37 AM, Banananaki said:

I also see 3 new achievement sprays that don't exist in current OW. "Not So Fast, Outlaw" which looks like Widow and Orisa fighting each other, "Pay Up" which looks like Ashe and a tiger skin Bob stalking like hunters, and "Quick on the Draw" which shows Mc-Cassidy in a chinese style hat after headshotting 3 silhouettes behind him. Wondering if these will be PvE achievements/trophies.

These three achievements do already exist, I have them all. They are for the bounty hunter game mode in the arcade.

On 7/12/2022 at 6:52 PM, jackiehomie said:

These three achievements do already exist, I have them all. They are for the bounty hunter game mode in the arcade.

Ah, fair enough. I took a very long break after season 9 (Around when Brigitte was announced/playable), until about 2 months ago, so that would make sense. They are not trophies on PSN though, and not categorized separately like most of the other seasonal stuff, so maybe that's my assumption. Thanks for the info.

On 13/07/2022 at 1:17 AM, Musashi1596 said:

Did it get deleted?

Yes, my post attracted some attention and then moderator came and said that it has to be posted in a different category because devs don't look there and added a link to deleted category that redirected to 404 page. (I posted in Tech Support because it actually looked like the only place where Blizzard representatives reply). I replied that I wasn't sure where to post and asked to provide a working link but a day later my topic was just deleted. Blizzard...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 0:19 AM, Stinkyremy said:

In game lootboxes are NOT going to be in OW2 and while we have had zero communication from Blizzard about this (they are being sneaky on purpose as you will see) it is pretty much a given that there will be no lootbox transferring to OW2 on the date they transition.

https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-2-loot-box-currency-carry-over-blizzard

"In a RedditAMA, someone asked whether loot boxes will carry over to Overwatch 2. However, it should be noted that Blizzard is doing away with loot boxes completely for the sequel. However, for anyone still keeping their loot boxes, those will be opened automatically and their contents will be transferred to your account in the sequel."

44 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

I hope they don't keep the current list as part of OW2 and then we gotta go get a bunch of trophies to keep our 100%.  Is that even possible?  I had enough OW.  Id hate to loose the nice 100% though.

Would you do a new list if everything autopops except for a few new trophies?

2 hours ago, Game_Knot said:

Would you do a new list if everything autopops except for a few new trophies?

i'd prefer to not play overwatch anymore but i'll do whatever i gotta do to keep the 100%.  I played the 1st one quite a bit to the point it got really old so the thought of having to play for hours to get those situational trophies doesn't appeal to me.  So as far as OW2 is concerned Assuming the two lists don't merge i'll probably skip it.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's a new article dropped on the Battlenet regarding the account merger...but sadly nothing specific about PSN trophies
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824001/

The only mention of trophies/achievements is this:

How will my Achievements be merged?
All in-game achievements earned across each platform will be present in the merged battle.net account. Console-specific achievements will remain on their respective platforms.

Not sure if "console-specific achievements" are considered platform achievements or if it's something about limited-time achievements that are only present on the PC version. Really wish Blizzard would just give a proper, detailed answer already...