The all new PlayStation Stars loyalty program (Stars are not NFTs)

The_Kopite

16 hours ago, LucasDragon570 said:

I played The Crew 2 on physical media and it worked fine for me. After 10 minutes I received the notification that I unlocked the collectible.

The service is still a little unstable, but physical media games do work.

Odd. I didn’t even see The Crew 2 being part of the challenge. Would be funny if random games count lol. I’ll try booting up TMNT but low hopes it’ll work.

I hope they eventually have more diverse challenges that include more indie games. I don’t buy many AAA games these days and find more enjoyment with less popular titles. Was nice seeing the VR one though, that’s a start.

49 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

Odd. I didn’t even see The Crew 2 being part of the challenge. Would be funny if random games count lol. I’ll try booting up TMNT but low hopes it’ll work.

I think they meant it worked for the October Check In Campaign, in that one you only need to play any PS4/PS5 game (even PS3 games counts)

7 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I think they meant it worked for the October Check In Campaign, in that one you only need to play any PS4/PS5 game (even PS3 games counts)

Bummer. You’re right. I went back and looked. Don’t know how I missed that part. Got all happy thinking a physical copy might work for that purchase challenge. I won’t be completing a lot challenges but that’s ok, it’s fun to try and get what you can.

10 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

That's not the problem at all. You're just computing something different than we were computing. You were computing how many points you get from spending money. We were computing how much money you save from spending points.

If you spend a dollar you get 10 points (your computation). Those 10 points save you 4 cents (my computation). So you get 4 free cents for every dollar you spend (i.e. 4% of your money back).

Yeah, I knew what you were trying to calculate, but I think some of the people were getting too confused because %s are hard for some people especially with dealing with multiples of 100. :P 

Though it's easier to just say you spend a bunch, you can get a small amount back (4% as you mentioned), as long as you don't waste your points on the collectible items instead.

For people wanting to get the "free" games that can be earned with points, it's much more cost effective to just buy the game itself rather than spend thousands of dollars on other stuff just to earn enough points to get it.

Even knowing how little you save overall, I have to say that this program is really not that well-made to begin with. I mean, it's nice that I can get a small amount of my money back just from being a loyal PSN supporter from now on, but what about people that have spent thousands over the years prior? I don't even want to know exactly how much I've spent on the PS Store since 2008, but I imagine it's over a few thousand.

The only thing I'll use the Stars program for is the $5 PSN credits, and anything that I can obtain without having to buy something I don't want. Also as I mentioned in a previous post, there are literally no savings for waiting to reach the 6250 points to get $25, it still is the exact same point ratio as the 1250 for $5. So unless Sony realizes this and lowers the point requirement for the $25 card, don't bother waiting to get to that point and just claim the $5 when you can!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ceridane said:

For the fighting challenge I got the reward the second I launched the game. You don't even have to play a match for it to count so if you are not interested in getting the platinum you can just delete the trophy list before earning a trophy.

This is good to know for certain campaigns. I wondered if it would be possible in case there was a campaign where you weren't interested in any of the eligible games or if you didn't want to add a bunch of new incomplete lists to your trophy list if you could do that and then just delete the 0% lists from your lists until you wanted to get back around to actually playing them.

I'm guessing people were just having delayed campaign progress due to a lot of people trying to use the service yesterday and the servers just being bogged down.

11 hours ago, ShadowSkill said:

Do the songs challenge's games bought from difference regions dont count? Like I am using JP PSN but the games bought from US PSN. I opened up Heavy Rain and Until Dawn,  waited for almost a day still not counting. Feel like myself played by Sony and wasted lots of time to download.  I have all of them just the versions arent the same as main PSN I am using.  I always buy games from four difference regions but have to be plus member to get credit,  also physicals not getting credits. Their loyalty meaning is like a joke. 

I’m not saying you have to like it, but from Sony’s standpoint it’s fairly logical: as a loyalty program, it has to be linked to a specific customer. If you use different regional accounts, it’s like different customers sharing games on the same console (and if you proved they’re all yours, you’d be proving you’d gone against PSN’s TOS; talk about a conundrum...) Same thing with physical: people could pool their games, rent them, etc.

They don’t seem to enforce the one account rule, I guess mainly because they would lose quite a lot of money, what with all the people buying the different versions, so it might be a smidge hypocritical, but still, it’s against the TOS.

I have only one account, so this part doesn't bother me, but a fair bit of my collection is physical, and won't register. It’s a shame, but thankfully the digital-only indies will.

7 minutes ago, KennethMcCormick said:

I’m not saying you have to like it, but from Sony’s standpoint it’s fairly logical: as a loyalty program, it has to be linked to a specific customer. If you use different regional accounts, it’s like different customers sharing games on the same console (and if you proved they’re all yours, you’d be proving you’d gone against PSN’s TOS; talk about a conundrum...) Same thing with physical: people could pool their games, rent them, etc.

They don’t seem to enforce the one account rule, I guess mainly because they would lose quite a lot of money, what with all the people buying the different versions, so it might be a smidge hypocritical, but still, it’s against the TOS.

I have only one account, so this part doesn't bother me, but a fair bit of my collection is physical, and won't register. It’s a shame, but thankfully the digital-only indies will.

lmao

Okay the whole "don't lie about your address when making an account" rule is just a thing for legal reasons. Sony really doesn't give a shit. They just don't want some weeb trying to take them to court because they're from the middle of Oklahoma and decided to say they were from Japan but now they're upset that they can't buy US games or DLC. It's also a licensing thing, they're not supposed to sell certain content outside of certain regions but this way if someone bypasses it then the company can't blame Sony, they can say "we specifically told them not to do that in our TOS".

Let us not forget it is very possible to have two accounts from different regions "legally". You live in one country, you create your main account there and then for an infinite amount of reasons you move to a new country and then create a new account for that country.

Your whole point about proving someone owns a game doesn't make sense. You think if two or more people in a household play on a single PS console and enrolls in this program that they expect every person there to buy their own copies of every game? For the bonus 50 point buying quest, yes absolutely every person would need to buy a game but for the simple task of booting up a game for all the others? They could care less. I assume physical copies of games work for these boot quests just fine since they're basically the same as a digital copy files-wise.

• Like 1

Anyone had a problem with the challenge playstation store picks? I was going to buy Saints row anyway so I started the challenge and bought the game with PSN vouchers and it didn't count as being completed even though I got 600 points from the purchase the challenge remains uncompleted. I don't think payment method has to do with it

I’m seeing a huge plus on the level up tier progress. I’m already at level 3 after I bought about 8 games and earned some rare or above trophies. I like how my full game purchase amount carries over to the next level because now I’m almost at level 4 already. The Astro’s Playroom collectibles looked cool to have, but I hope they add better collectibles like Ratchet and Clank or other classic characters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oryxis_ said:

Anyone had a problem with the challenge playstation store picks? I was going to buy Saints row anyway so I started the challenge and bought the game with PSN vouchers and it didn't count as being completed even though I got 600 points from the purchase the challenge remains uncompleted. I don't think payment method has to do with it

Yeah the challenge doesn’t work. I bought inscryption the day stars came out and got the points for buying it but not the 50 extra points.

50 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

Yeah the challenge doesn’t work. I bought inscryption the day stars came out and got the points for buying it but not the 50 extra points.

Same goes for World warrior at least for me I have been playing SFV for two hours switched between modes but nothing was registered 

23 hours ago, DawningWolf55 said:

You have to play those specific games. If you have money, all of them are on PS+ premium

Well fuck. At least with the World Warrior campaign there were multiple options and luckily PS+ Essential gave SFV some time back. Oh well, it didn''t give any reward points so I don't feel I'm missing out.

I do like how to level up you need to get rare, very rare, and ultra rare trophies. It really does encourage trophy hunting in that regard. It now makes me want to do DLCs trophies. I never really cared for DLC trophies because they never contributed to a platinum, but now I feel that they are much more worth going for now. Mostly since most DLC trophies all fall under rare, very rare, and ultra rare categories.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

I think the campaigns might give you the items/points when the time period ends. Because on mine it says I've completed the "start any PS4/PS5 game" but I can't find the T-rex collectible to put in my digital shelf. Does the challenge at least say it's been "completed" for you?

58 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

I think the campaigns might give you the items/points when the time period ends. Because on mine it says I've completed the "start any PS4/PS5 game" but I can't find the T-rex collectible to put in my digital shelf. Does the challenge at least say it's been "completed" for you?

For me all the collectibles unlocked the second I lauched the requiered game excluding the 1994 challenge which I have not attempted yet.

2 hours ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

You got a big time glitch. Once completed you should immediately have the collectible to display in your "collection".

Just now, Mirrors1118 said:

3 of the 6 games from the song challenge finally registered after around 2 days. Gonna just keep waiting I guess. 

I've been stuck with Returnal not registering, been over 24 hours now and I've booted it up multiple times.

Does anyone have experience with the leveling up thing?

I don't think I saw anyone mention if you can buy four games and then earn trophies or farm up trophies and then buy the four games or if you're only allowed to do the conditions while you're at the specific level.

16 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

I've been stuck with Returnal not registering, been over 24 hours now and I've booted it up multiple times.

Does anyone have experience with the leveling up thing?

I don't think I saw anyone mention if you can buy four games and then earn trophies or farm up trophies and then buy the four games or if you're only allowed to do the conditions while you're at the specific level.

You need 4 full games purchases to reach level 4 and a total of 128 rare trophies. I'm currently at level 3 missing about 90 rare trophies and 2 more game purchases to level up.

• Like 1