Need advice for The Witcher 3

I started playing The Witcher 3 a couple of years ago before I really cared about going for the platinum/100%. I've been feeling the urge to go back to it, but at this point I'm 30 hours in and I've missed out on a bunch of trophies, like all the Gwent stuff for instance. Originally I started the game on the hardest difficulty, but changed it within the first couple of hours (I suck, lol). I was wondering how doable it is to just finish my chill playthrough on an easier difficulty, and then later run through the story/get all the missables on the hardest difficulty. How long would that second playthrough take? Would going into it on New Game + be beneficial at all? Am I better off just starting over on the hardest difficulty and gitting gudd?

49 minutes ago, BEARDLESSVlKlNG said:

I started playing The Witcher 3 a couple of years ago before I really cared about going for the platinum/100%. I've been feeling the urge to go back to it, but at this point I'm 30 hours in and I've missed out on a bunch of trophies, like all the Gwent stuff for instance. Originally I started the game on the hardest difficulty, but changed it within the first couple of hours (I suck, lol). I was wondering how doable it is to just finish my chill playthrough on an easier difficulty, and then later run through the story/get all the missables on the hardest difficulty. How long would that second playthrough take? Would going into it on New Game + be beneficial at all? Am I better off just starting over on the hardest difficulty and gitting gudd?

(1). Your first chill playthrough is enough to earn all trophies including missable ones and all dlcs trophies talking about both hearts of stone + blood and wine.

Follow the true achievements perfect walkthrough step by step, u won't miss a single trophy. 

For Gwent complete card collector, the psnp Gwent card collector guide is amazing.

(2). For ur second playthrough start NG+ and finish the campaign in DM difficulty.

And Voila, 100% completion.

Edited by zulqarmessi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zulqarmessi said:

Your first chill playthrough is enough to earn all trophies including missable ones and all dlcs trophies talking about both hearts of stone + blood and wine.

Follow the true achievements perfect walkthrough step by step, u won't miss a single trophy. 

For Gwent complete card collector, the psnp Gwent card collector guide is amazing.

I wouldn't try to go for the missable Gwent card trophy if the OP has started the game without going for it.

I recommend that the OP do what they have been thinking themself: start again on Death March, git gud, and do it all in one new playthrough. 

Best of luck :)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

I wouldn't try to go for the missable Gwent card trophy if the OP has started the game without going for it.

I recommend that the OP do what they have been thinking themself: start again on Death March, git gud, and do it all in one new playthrough. 

Best of luck :)

Oh yeah , definitely...... OP could play in any order he wants, the game has 100% enjoyment factor.

When i first played it in 2016 the GOTY edition, i played it like 4 times. First was totally blind through pure enjoyment, second was Gwent playthrough, third was DM difficulty, fourth was 100% missions and side missions completion.

• Like 2

Well, since you missed missables trophies and you are not playing on DM, it will basically be an optional run. 

If you don't have a problem finishing a long game more than one time, it will be ok. I usually donn't have the time and motivation to do so. 

I would recommend you to start again on DM (potions build are OP, but i don't think that W3 is a hard game, you can spam shield sign and try to evade [you can spam it too if you have a bad timing], loot enemy weapons and sell it for money).

I think you only need to be careful with the gwent cards and some of the side quests that vanish when you go to Skelige. 

After you finish the story you can drop the difficult and have fun with the dlc's if you still have trouble with the DM.

Edited by Pen_Dragon_138

Yeah like others have said, your better off doing a entire new playtrough on Death March, while following a gwent collectible guide for the missable cards.

aswel as following the guide on psnprofiles for any missable trophy's because there is quite alot.

Optinooby has previously posted a great piece of information concerning Death March which I plan to use for when I get around going for the stack. If you have the DLC, you can start a New Game in Blood and Wine, save and quit, then start a NG+ run on DM. You will be leveled significantly with a good amount of money and inventory. Yes, you will still need to get used to the challenge of DM but this is a great handicap. Also, after beating the campaign, drop the difficulty, the DLC is quite challenging at times but thankfully, it doesn't require a specific difficulty to complete them.

I 100% Witcher III three times. The last 100% took me about 9 nights. If it’s your first time you should definitely play on the easiest difficulty to enjoy the story and narrative. If you already know the story, you may start by choosing “blood and wine only” on the easiest difficulty as your first playthrough.

“Blood and wine only” gives you a lv34 Geralt with a decent number of potion, oil, bombs, ingredients and materials. You use this preset character to clear “heart of stone expansion” and “blood and wine expansion” and get all trophies along the way. You may do some gwent related trophies in this playthrough, but leave “collect Skellige deck” to your next playthrough.

After finish the two expansions, you should do all Witcher contracts and get the trophy before you move on. When you finish all contracts, you will have enough ingredients to level up your potions. 

*the contract Swamp Thing is not available in the expansion, but you will still get the trophy for doing all available contracts, so don’t worry about it.

Before going to the next playthrough farm some mutagens for your mutation. There’s a perk that gives you more damage if you are more poisoned, make good use of that. And make a grandmaster gear set, I choose Manticore gear set for its fashion, and it does not require you to have some lower-level gears to make. Your preset character will have enough material to make one.

Oh, btw, you can do all fist fights in this playthrough and get the trophies. But not horse race because one race is unavailable.

Before you move on to the next playthrough. You can do all combat-related trophies. Make sure to go to the very specific island in Skellige in BushidoCypher's video guide.

When you are ready. Use your current file to start the second playthrough on DEATH MARCH.

I am manticore school. I drink potions and apply oils before each fight. I mainly use only sword swirl (English not sure) for enemies, most battles like this:

Boss fights are quite different because they will defend your sword. Use rolling, the i-frame is near 1 second therefore boss fight are not so difficult. Weapon use the sword you get from the lady of the lake. This sword can be level up in combat.

In this playthrough, make sure to do the racing and gwent. If you feel gwent is too hard there is a toggle for that. You can play gwent’s easy mode if you like.

After finish the main story, rush to Toussaint to collect all Skellige cards. Congrats you are 100% of Witcher III.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Ended up restarting the game on the highest difficulty after using the Blood and Wine trick. Used my skill points on the shield, fire and mind control spells (I'm bad at remembering names), as well as the gourmet skill etc. Got guides for the Gwent cards, as well as the missable trophies open at all times. Still early game, but it feels doable, and it's so great playing this game again.

35 minutes ago, BEARDLESSVlKlNG said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Ended up restarting the game on the highest difficulty after using the Blood and Wine trick. Used my skill points on the shield, fire and mind control spells (I'm bad at remembering names), as well as the gourmet skill etc. Got guides for the Gwent cards, as well as the missable trophies open at all times. Still early game, but it feels doable, and it's so great playing this game again.

Yes and one more thing always purchase or craft updated Armor and swords, especially before Imlerith, Caranthir and Eredin boss fights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zulqarmessi said:

Yes and one more thing always purchase or craft updated Armor and swords, especially before Imlerith, Caranthir and Eredin boss fights.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be running multiple manual saves so I don't end up missing something/getting myself stuck on a boss lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEARDLESSVlKlNG said:

You made the right decision. It’s amazing how many little details you would forget after a couple years anyways, so jumping in on your old save file would likely have been more confusing than it was worth. Better to start again from scratch, and this way you can earn all the trophies again and be sure you aren’t missing anything. I’m not sure I would have done the Blood and Wine only mode as you might miss out on a lot of the natural progression and levelling which is a big part of the fun, so hopefully it doesn’t lessen the fun or anything.

Speaking of Blood & Wine, if you never got around to the DLCs last time you played I will say that you are in for a real treat. I think The Witcher 3 has some of the highest quality DLC I’ve ever seen in a game, both of them are phenomenal. Enjoy! ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

If not mentioned already, from memory and its a good while ago since I played it, there is a book called Ogmha or something and you can either earn it, or buy it (I forget) off a merchant in Novigrad.

I seem to remember this book tracks your Gwent cards and lets you know which ones are missing, or if not that, gives you an idea of where to earn them. Apologies for the vagueness, but I like the OP went back to it after leaving it and found that book came in handy when I found out about it.

Good luck in playing this exceptional game. ?

4 hours ago, BEARDLESSVlKlNG said:

I know you said you've got the guides for gwent but try the interactive maps - Witcher 3 Interactive Maps (witcher3map.com)

I found them very useful

33 minutes ago, Ashbo said:

If not mentioned already, from memory and its a good while ago since I played it, there is a book called Ogmha or something and you can either earn it, or buy it (I forget) off a merchant in Novigrad.

I seem to remember this book tracks your Gwent cards and lets you know which ones are missing, or if not that, gives you an idea of where to earn them. Apologies for the vagueness, but I like the OP went back to it after leaving it and found that book came in handy when I found out about it.

Good luck in playing this exceptional game. 1f44d.png

You get the book after that first Gwent tutorial in White Orchard. It shows you the remaining cards in each location and how many can be earned from miscellaneous players throughout the world.

Starting with death march on 1st playthrough is the easiest way to go even though game starts really hard, death march on new game + starts a bit easier but at the end of the game it becomes extremely brutal. Fighting Eredin on ng+ on death march is nightmare can't even compare it, final boss on 1st playthrough death march is 4/10 difficulty, on ng+ on death march is 9/10. For all future players wondering about it go for death march straight away.

• 1 month later...
On 2022-08-07 at 7:35 AM, BEARDLESSVlKlNG said:

The first ghouls in the story on death march is the hardest game I ever played. But then I realised you just use quen and dodge and the game becomes easy af. I'd go death march right away. The game is a little challenging until level 10-11 when you get full Griffin set. Then just Griffin set and ekidna potion and you're invisible, more or less. I went to Skellinge at level 2-3 to get the materials for the ekidna decoction.