Why I decided to leave trophy hunting today! Who else have made this same decision?

Kemu912Aroha-Nz

I always do a Mix to keep Things fresh and not troubling me with any insane trophies. I rather enjoy some easy Games or Switch / PC /Mobile Games inbetween, than always hunting hardcore Games. The plus point is since im love Visual Novel and Indie Games i have quit a good amount to choose. Also play allmost all genres. I never get tired of that Hobby.

Best advise i can give: Play your Games for fun and what you realy want, and than look for the Trophies if you can complete them.

Of course anyone can play what they want or not that up to you. :)

1 hour ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

I play 2 games at a time.. when I'm bored of one I switch to the other

that way I still make decent progress with my backlog but I dont take so long to jump back into a game that I forget the controls/plot etc. having to "start over" or re-learn an old game is an even bigger disincentive to eventually completing it

That's also a nice way to keep things fresh and not to spread out too much, forgetting controls/plot is indeed the downside to that, I usually try a few games then eventually go back to platinum each game in one go and since I made some head start it tends to be faster. 

I want to start Mortal Kombat 11 with no trophies in mind, but I 'forgot' how to play a fighting game without the trophies.. it's weird how much trophies changed the way I look at games lol. 

previously, I'd look at the guide, as a 'road map', and go from there, but now I feel 'aimless'. when I played Smash Bros, my goal was to unlock the characters, and I stopped after that (I didn't like the game, though). 

To sum up: Not sure how to play non story games, without trophies/goal in mind.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 5:17 PM, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

This sums up everything perfectly. Filling out that sphere grid in FFX long after completing the game just to get the plat makes you wonder why in the hell you are doing it.

The selective gaming is also an issue where you avoid games with known bugged trophies, long games like Diablo 2, hard games or any game you don't see yourself being able to plat. Especially with PS Plus and the amount of games available now where you need to look up a guide, calculate everything before even trying the game. 

I've been a completionist as well from the start, filling up a pokedex, leaving the snes on to complete super mario world, all stars in mario 64 etc. But, it felt different when you don't feel forced into it and everything is by choice. Trophy hunting can feel so forced sometimes when you're doing something long into post game just for the sake of it and for that I can fully understand why someone would quit.

You know if you want to play a game and not mess up your trophy stats you can just create a second for fun profile on your system and use that. 

• Like 1

if you truly love video games and the feeling of trophy hunting you'll be back. I stopped for 2 years and here I am stronger than ever, and probably I'll stop at some time again and go on, cuz life can be complicated sometimes. Don't forget this is a marathon, not a sprint. This is our hobby and we are family, we'll be waiting for you, feel free to come and go as you please, we'll do the same! 

• Like 1

I know this is a trophy ranking site and all, but my number one rule is to go for the plat only if im having fun. The platinum is a secondary thing.

I have no shame at all to drop a a game that isnt entertaining me. I like to play mostly action driven games, so the plats arent a bore or chore, beucause im having fun. If is another genre like RPG, racing or anything else i just play while im enjoying it.If i can plat it, i do. If the game isnt clicking with me, i just beat it, get the most trophys i can and then drop it. 

• Like 2

There was a time, and I'm sure if AJ were still here he'd be nodding along, when it was possible to watch every movie, listen to every album, read every book and play every game. Those days have long since past. New stuff is released every other day, there is a huge catalog of games going back decades and there is always the issue of aging technology. As much as we'd love to do all the things, it's just not possible. You can work yourself up into a tizzy trying to, outside of casually playing the latest title and keeping up with trends.

[itsallsotiring.jpeg goes here]

Making lists helps. Just keep track of what you've got, what you want to get and what you want to play. Puts things into perspective. Instead of an endless pile of crap to work though, you've got a small list of stuff you want to do and then a large list of stuff to pick from when the first list is completed. Pacing yourself prevents burnout.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 4:18 PM, Nego_Brown_ said:

I know this is a trophy ranking site and all, but my number one rule is to go for the plat only if im having fun. The platinum is a secondary thing.

I have no shame at all to drop a a game that isnt entertaining me. I like to play mostly action driven games, so the plats arent a bore or chore, beucause im having fun. If is another genre like RPG, racing or anything else i just play while im enjoying it.If i can plat it, i do. If the game isnt clicking with me, i just beat it, get the most trophys i can and then drop it. 

There's nothing wrong with that of course. 

To me, video games have always been a skill I'm better at than most people. I don't mean most hard-core gamers, just the population in general. 

So to me, part of the skill building is accomplishing all the tasks available. 

I've personally not been able to have real "fun" with most games in the current era bc I'm a fan of platformers...and while there are quite a few good modern ones they don't compare to older games IMO and try to have too much story. 

• Like 1

Trophy hunting can always burn you out. No matter how much you enjoy a game, some times the trophies are just horrendous. 

It's important to play games different ways like a game on PSN and one in the switch etc. That way you're avoiding burn out by playing a game without worrying about achievements. Personally I play shorter games because I've got ADHD and OCD so can't keep my attention long enough to focus on bigger games. Either way you just need to take it easy and remember that this is a hobby, if it starts feeling like a job then stop and take a break. 

On 26/04/2023 at 11:54 PM, GodKaio-Ken said:

You know if you want to play a game and not mess up your trophy stats you can just create a second for fun profile on your system and use that. 

I have thought of this before but now I try to hunt in a different way. Recently I went for Crash 4 and since it has lifted me to believe that nearly any game on my backlog or interest is possible with enough time and dedication and if I'm not enjoying it then I move onto another game on my backlog. I have such a big backlog that I don't need to stick to one game if it's killing me. I'll never finish every game and I'll never have 100% profile so I'm not so bothered anymore and would rather enjoy the games that I've actually bought instead of regretting buying them after checking out the trophies. 

I've never been hardcore into trophies/achievements to begin with, and don't really care too much about having lists on my profile at 0% (I'm usually just too lazy to delete those trophy lists tbh, even if I know I'm never going to play those games/versions)

But I've definitely gotten even less interested in seeking 100% or platinums in recent years. I just decided to give up on the Void Terrarium plat because the last few trophies seemed far too grindy when I was already starting to get a bit bored of the game, so I simply finished off the main game and have called it quits, despite having most of the trophies for it. Why waste another 10+ hours of my time grinding something I'm not finding particularly fun when I could just be playing something else? My backlog is so massive now, that I do genuinely feel like I'm wasting time trying to 100% games that I'm not enjoying.

It's definitely always important to remember that video games are supposed to be fun, not feel like chores. I don't really consider myself much of a trophy/achievement hunter, and I still enjoy 100%ing some games that have no trophies/achievements at all. If it's enjoyable enough, I'll set aside the time to do it. If it's not, then I won't.

I absolutely adore trophy hunting when it's fun, and I generally always prefer getting the Playstation versions of multiplatform games whenever possible mostly just for the trophies. I'm glad trophies and achievements exist as they have definitely enhanced many games' experiences for me and given me a little more motivation to go the extra mile in some games. At the same time, they've also encouraged me to do inane BS like doing X boring tasks 1,000 times or leaving a game running for 30+ hours for trophies that require you to have played the game for X number of hours when the game is otherwise pretty short. I can't say I feel particularly proud of those kinds of "achievements", and I don't fancy subjecting myself to that kinda nonsense more in the future unless I REALLY want the plat bad for some reason or other.

On 30/04/2023 at 8:18 AM, GodKaio-Ken said:

There's nothing wrong with that of course. 

To me, video games have always been a skill I'm better at than most people. I don't mean most hard-core gamers, just the population in general. 

So to me, part of the skill building is accomplishing all the tasks available. 

I've personally not been able to have real "fun" with most games in the current era bc I'm a fan of platformers...and while there are quite a few good modern ones they don't compare to older games IMO and try to have too much story. 

I kinda know what you’re talking about. Im 42yo and these last years i really missed old platforms and action games of 8-16 bit era. Thank god for the indies.

If you look at my older trophies, from about 2008, youll see that at that time i yet played all kind of games. 

But about 5 or 6 years ago, i lost my patience with slow paced games, games that demand too much grinding or preparation. When i play any game that have building sets, like souls game or some ActionRPG, i never bother and just equip the best equip and go forth. 

Recently i just droped the much loved Monster Hunter world because the game had absolutely nothing new after my 100th hour and killing those monsters became very boring to me. My Iceborne has a very little percentage and i dont care. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's important to cultivate a mindset that trophies, ultimately, are largely meaningless outside of the act of collecting them as you play a game. Sure, trophy hunting / gaming might be a fun hobby that many enjoy and that's perfectly reasonable, but end of day nobody in the real world cares about your completion percentage or how many Platinum's you have or your position on some trophy leaderboard. It's not like you put it on your resume or something...

With this in mind, it's ok to not 100% every game you play, it's ok to play games just to play the game, it's ok to start a game and not finish, it's ok to have that one super-annoying trophy that you just leave alone even though it means you don't get the Platinum, etc. I see many who won't play a game "because of the trophies" but if it's a game you want to play then just play it.

And yeah, it can burn you out if you push too hard because some games really demand a lot of time or effort to get everything done, and you can find yourself playing a game far longer than you otherwise would and far beyond the point where you're having fun. Unfortunately it can become a bit of an obsession and if you don't manage things it can turn into an addiction of sorts where you're just chasing the next Platinum and not really having fun anymore. If your gaming hobby becomes more about the trophies than the games then something is wrong there.

Ultimately it's about balance. If you just play the games you want to play and get the trophies you want to spend time on then that's the best outcome I think. If you become one of those people who want to play a game but won't because the trophy list has some thing you don't like then you're just allowing your hobby to control your actions which isn't healthy. It might be something you have to actively push yourself to do, but end of day you'll be happier if you just play the games that look fun to you and let the trophies take a back seat as part of that process.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Update: It's been literally 9 months since my hiatus & I decided to come back to finish off some sever related games/trophies so the potential triggering doesn't consume me at a vital point in my life, the games I chose was GTA V & DB Xenoverse 2. I was also optimistic going into this hoping things would coincide with my new lifestyle, however the exact opposite happened. In the 2 weeks I've been trying to finish these trophies, I've reverted back to junk eating which I was on a tailored diet for months prior, I have in addition allowed my brain to take in more distractions for dopamine, I've stopped or forgot my daily regimen and gone on a fast decline. In the 9 months, I managed to go to events, I was a nominee for an award, improved my social life, got in better shape, adapted to new hobbies such as a reading, improved my diet & completed a course I enrolled myself onto among other things. 

People would say this is a state of mind issue, but I'm huge on psychology & I can honestly say if you acquaint your brain with unproductivity then you will begin to demonstrate that through your actions which was confirmed after I reverted back to old habits as soon as I wanted to get rid of few online trophies. Rationalising would take a lot of mental fortitude because of how ridiculous the requirements are for these trophies which takes way too much time. The long term pursuit requires me to conclude the entire narrative which is hopefully after I get these games completed. Retirement seems to be the obvious choice for me, the risk to reward ration doesn't favour the benefits I'm getting which are minimal and not optimal against my long term goals. Moral of the story is life is just way better without trophy hunting.