Why I decided to leave trophy hunting today! Who else have made this same decision?

Kemu912Aroha-Nz

I personally just takes breaks from gaming altogether when I’m just not feeling it, I like trophy hunting obviously but yeah sometimes it can be just to much and the motivation just ain’t there, I usually stop for like a Month and do something else. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 6:58 AM, Carttagos said:

I think the issue for many people is that they think they need get 10 platinums in less than a week and buy all new games that are releasing everyday and that's wrong. Just play what you want and If you like it, just go for the plat.

Don't waste time thinking that you need to get everything, play on your own pace and without pressure.

I wish you the best.

100% agree with this. We all need to be more mindful about the games they play, mainly to avoid burnout and have more enjoyment just from playing something.

Like, is it really enjoyable to play 200h+ of a game uninterruptedly for a handful of trophies? Is it not enough to experience the game first, maybe even disabling the trophy notifications, and then chip away at the remaining trophies?

I get the completionist obsession, I play games for 20 years and always want to do everything in a game I enjoy. But over the last few years, seeing trophies with absurd requirements (not to mention stacks/shovelware/autopops, which are ridiculous in my opinion), I'm not a completionist to the point of wasting the little time I have for playing games by doing some insane grinding and replaying something a hundred times over nonstop. That would absolutely destroy my enjoyment for games, and make me not look forward to my next gaming session. So what would be the point of playing?

On 29/10/2022 at 8:47 PM, Kemu912Aroha-Nz said:

I loved trophy hunting, since I had a playstation 3 and I had told myself at that time, I am only going to platinum my favorite games. Anyways it was awesome and I never had friends at that time who played games with me. When I had my first playstation 4 back in 2014 (April) I had 345 trophies, and in 2015 I has started to just go bigger with platinum trophies. I have done a few big games like; Gta v (100%) The division 1 (76%), The division 2 (100%), all 4 ps4 Need for speed games platinumed, red dead redemption 2 (100%), etc.... So trophy hunting at the start was real fun for me to be honest and I really enjoyed it a lot. The last few weeks just feels different and I don`t enjoy trophy hunting anymore. It feels like work for me now. All the collectibles and missable trophies and also 100% game completion trophies are just insane sometimes. Yes it is fun to can look back and just be happy about a platinum trophy or even a 100% game completion (with all dlc`s included) and some good games I really miss to play. I decided after I has sitting and struggled with F1 2019 and Supercross 5 to just stop and play for the fun and not to do some trophy hunting anymore. Obviously every person has his own decision about gaming and every gamer can decide what he/she wants to do and a trophy is a trophy but sometimes that trophy are just ridiculous to obtain and sometimes that trophy doesn`t even pop, because the game does glitch out. So yeah this is why, I decided to stop today and I want to know who else also feels like me and don`t enjoy it anymore? 

Gaming are supposed to be fun and that`s why I am going to play for the fun from now on and just enjoy myself out there.

I been gaming for a long time now way before PlayStation and games are meant to be fun if you lose the fun then is it worth it to some yes each gamer has they own way of playing.

13 minutes ago, TheDarkKratos said:

l Have to wonder how many people would actually play the games they do play if there were no trophies to be earned.

I've started my way though some of the crappy easier games I'd purchased in the past and there is no way I'd give any of them a 2nd thought if not for trophies. With PS5 I've decided to stick with games I want to really play (I do have some crap to go through thanks to games I bought a long time ago having cross buy....and If I have it I'll play it, lol). I was too easily tempted on the PS4...it was a terrible Gen for trash games. 

At least with PS3 I only have a half dozen or so games that were just for trophies. 

There was a time that I was burned out from trophy hunting so I quit hunting and (at that time) touched my PS4 once or twice per year and I am glad that I did because it recharged my battery and when the PS5 came it out it made me fall in love with the hunt once again, so quitting or stepping away from it for a while sounds like the right decision.

Because I stepped away from it I handled it different and it made me realise that the hunt has to stay fun that it doesn't matter how easy/hard the hunt is or how the completion percentage doesn't matter.

If someone develops strong feelings of contempt towards a game they are probably just tired and pushing themselves too hard. It's like an old joke I heard, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." The beauty of gaming is that it's virtually timeless. We're still playing games from 10+ years ago. There's plenty of time.

• Like 1

I don't think I'll ever truly stop trophy hunting, but obsessing over displaying the right trophy milestones on your profile to express your interests certainly took a lot of the fun out of trophy hunting. I don't think it was the milestones themselves as it actually came fairly naturally most of the time until recently, but the accumulation of them over time between making Uncharted 4 50, Crash: Warped 75, KHIII 100, Hogwarts Legacy 300 to name a few just made me reach a breaking point in wanting to go back to a time where I would focus on playing the games I actually wanted to play or replaying favorites I was passionate about, not to mention making time to make stuff in Dreams. But yea, for awhile it sucked feeling like I was trying to prove something by getting my hands on every major little franchise I could get my hands on. Maybe one day I'll get around to finishing all of them, but I'm not in the biggest rush anymore, at least currently. Plus, maybe the fact it's been disappointment after disappointment in the post-Shawn Layden years recently contributed a bit to the negativity. Not saying gaming is bad now, but it's certainly not what it was during the PS3-PS4 years.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I probably would be sticking mostly with JRPGs and exclusives if that was the case.

I'd argue that trophy hunting has opened my horizons on new and different games that I would never consider. From that perspective, trophy hunting has been a plus for me. I wouldn't take it as a negative necessarily if some people answered that they'd play different games because of trophies. 

It's an interesting thought though, for sure.

Definitely this ^ I've also played genres and games I think i'd never consider without trophies being a thing. Trophies have mostly been an enriching gaming experience because of that fact.

Concerning getting burned out, that is not always a side effect of trophy hunting imo I think more often than not it's something to do with life outside of gaming, at least it has been for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I probably would be sticking mostly with JRPGs and exclusives if that was the case.

I'd argue that trophy hunting has opened my horizons on new and different games that I would never consider. From that perspective, trophy hunting has been a plus for me. I wouldn't take it as a negative necessarily if some people answered that they'd play different games because of trophies. 

I was just about to comment the same thing.

• Like 1

play games for fun or don't play games for fun...play your favorite games or don't play your favorite games...earn trophies or don't earn trophies...play your favorite games while having fun and earning trophies or don't...it's all, all good...it's very likely no one cares about your profile other than you (and perhaps your mom if she's a gamer) so no need to stress about gaming imo...evolution = learning...learning = good...so cheers for not being afraid of change...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'd definitely buy less games, actually, no. I would however, finish more since completing them 100% is irrelevant. Could just do main story and be done in most cases. Would speed up completing the backlog immensely. 

Then again, that's kind of already losing its value to me. Its just a trophy, a few people saying congrats or good job doesnt mean shit to me. I just game for enjoyment. 

Except switch because that system sucks lol

What really burns me out is sticking to a single game at a time and completing it as soon as possible, then switch to another one and repeat the cycle. Now, whenever I don't feel like playing a certain game anymore, I drop it and move on to something else. I know I'll eventually come back later on, but there's really no need to rush.

Edited by ShinySpidey
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, TheDarkKratos said:

l Have to wonder how many people would actually play the games they do play if there were no trophies to be earned.

I would play largely the same games I played. Trophies only helped me filter OUT the games I wouldn’t be playing, too hard, too online oriented etc.

17 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

play games for fun or don't play games for fun...play your favorite games or don't play your favorite games...earn trophies or don't earn trophies...play your favorite games while having fun and earning trophies or don't...it's all, all good...it's very likely no one cares about your profile other than you (and perhaps your mom if she's a gamer) so no need to stress about gaming imo...evolution = learning...learning = good...so cheers for not being afraid of change...

Especially as you get older

video game achievements become less and less valuable because 1, your time is limited and 2, its still an intangible accomplishment, you cant hold it in your hands or use it in real life scenarios, its just a digital timestamp you earned in your free time

real life takes priority and so does real life accomplishments like idk, getting a promotion and a raise at work, buying your first house, starting a family, starting your own business..all of which that is far more rewarding in the end and is what inevitably drives us all away from trophy hunting in general, real life

Edited by Property_Damage
  • Like 2

I had friends that stopped trophy hunting for many valid reasons, whether personal or just not feeling that spark anymore. 

Fortunately I haven’t lost that spark yet because I such interest in many games I haven’t played yet. I usually go for platinum in my games if I like the game enough tbh. Other than that, I won’t prolly finish the game if I don’t like it, whether it’s easy or hard difficulty games, the enjoyment factor comes first no matter what for me!

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

Especially as you get older

video game achievements become less and less valuable because 1, your time is limited and 2, its still an intangible accomplishment, you cant hold it in your hands or use it in real life scenarios, its just a digital timestamp you earned in your free time

real life takes priority and so does real life accomplishments like idk, getting a promotion and a raise at work, buying your first house, starting a family, starting your own business..all of which that is far more rewarding in the end and is what inevitably drives us all away from trophy hunting in general, real life

"Intangible" how? It's a simple matter of printing them out on paper, immortalizing one's legacy.?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShinySpidey said:

What really burns me out is sticking to a single game at a time and completing it as soon as possible, then switch to another one and repeat the cycle. Now, whenever I don't feel like playing a certain game anymore, I drop it and move on to something else. I know I'll eventually come back later on, but there's really no need to rush.

This 100%, I've been debating this for a long time, playing one game at a time from start to finish is the most efficient way to clean the backlog for good but man...I start okay beat a few in a row but soon the burnout start and I simply can't focus on one at a time anymore, now to counter this whenever I'm gonna put a game down for a while I write down on my phone what I did and where to go next, this way I don't feel lost whenever I pick the game up again, best thing I did because this way I don't get tired and neither lose progress.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

This 100%, I've been debating this for a long time, playing one game at a time from start to finish is the most efficient way to clean the backlog for good but man...I start okay beat a few in a row but soon the burnout start and I simply can't focus on one at a time anymore, now to counter this whenever I'm gonna put a game down for a while I write down on my phone what I did and where to go next, this way I don't feel lost whenever I pick the game up again, best thing I did because this way I don't get tired and neither lose progress.

I play 2 games at a time.. when I'm bored of one I switch to the other

that way I still make decent progress with my backlog but I dont take so long to jump back into a game that I forget the controls/plot etc. having to "start over" or re-learn an old game is an even bigger disincentive to eventually completing it

1 hour ago, Mellenthin said:

"Intangible" how? It's a simple matter of printing them out on paper, immortalizing one's legacy.1f609.png

its not a real trophy you can hold with your own two hands, put in a glass shelf and admire (unless you’re that one trophy freak who literally had 1 made in real life and even that is just plastic and fiber glass, its not made from actual platinum or precious metal but its still cool)

its a digital pixel that one day you’ll more than likely outgrow 

Edited by Property_Damage

On 10/29/2022 at 0:47 PM, Kemu912Aroha-Nz said:

I loved trophy hunting, since I had a playstation 3 and I had told myself at that time, I am only going to platinum my favorite games. Anyways it was awesome and I never had friends at that time who played games with me. When I had my first playstation 4 back in 2014 (April) I had 345 trophies, and in 2015 I has started to just go bigger with platinum trophies. I have done a few big games like; Gta v (100%) The division 1 (76%), The division 2 (100%), all 4 ps4 Need for speed games platinumed, red dead redemption 2 (100%), etc.... So trophy hunting at the start was real fun for me to be honest and I really enjoyed it a lot. The last few weeks just feels different and I don`t enjoy trophy hunting anymore. It feels like work for me now. All the collectibles and missable trophies and also 100% game completion trophies are just insane sometimes. Yes it is fun to can look back and just be happy about a platinum trophy or even a 100% game completion (with all dlc`s included) and some good games I really miss to play. I decided after I has sitting and struggled with F1 2019 and Supercross 5 to just stop and play for the fun and not to do some trophy hunting anymore. Obviously every person has his own decision about gaming and every gamer can decide what he/she wants to do and a trophy is a trophy but sometimes that trophy are just ridiculous to obtain and sometimes that trophy doesn`t even pop, because the game does glitch out. So yeah this is why, I decided to stop today and I want to know who else also feels like me and don`t enjoy it anymore? 

Gaming are supposed to be fun and that`s why I am going to play for the fun from now on and just enjoy myself out there.

I've recently decided to give it up as well.  I was tired of feeling like I had to 100% every single game.  Was just putting too much pressure on myself for no reason.  The game that actually broke me funnily enough was Star Wars Fallen Order.  Not even a hard game to plat but God it felt so boring.  Started asking myself why I was wasting time with this trash game.  

Decided moving forward I will no longer care about being a completionist.  I plan to play three games at a time.  If one of them begins to feel boring or tedious, I will drop it and begin playing a different one from PS Plus.  Already feeling the benefits.  Having a blast right now with Sackboy and Dead Cells and not even thinking about the 'difficult' trophies that would normally make up the last leg of a plat run.  If I feel like going for 'String it Together' once I'm done exploring Craftworld, I will.  If not, on to the next game.  

Seems dumb that I even had to make a conscious decision to just play games for fun, but definitely glad I did.

• Like 1