Why I decided to leave trophy hunting today! Who else have made this same decision?

Kemu912Aroha-Nz

It sounds like you are playing games you don't like. It's your time to spend it how you will, but maybe try playing games you really like (or at least think you will) because then even frustrating things are fun. That's what I do and really haven't ever gotten burnt out. To be fair tho, I was a completionist before trophies existed, so it's just part of who I am.

Edited by sepheroithisgod

2 hours ago, Kemu912Aroha-Nz said:

Gaming are supposed to be fun and that`s why I am going to play for the fun from now on and just enjoy myself out there.

Well done, man.

Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not take over our lives in an unhealthy way. We should definitely have the self-awareness to draw a line.

And like the Doc said...

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Maybe you’ll feel differently later on, and the trophy hunt will always be there if / when you feel like it!

Life is too short to waste time on f.o.m.o. or compulsive behaviors.

• Like 1

The unspoken truth when going for a platinum in a game worth playing is that there is almost always at least one trophy where you have to go outside your comfort zone, whether it’s a difficult (skill wise) trophy, or a long mindless grind, or a long list of collectibles, or an online trophy that requires player interaction, or a combination of all 4, where you may have to put in more time and effort than you would want or expect. And for many players this is where they draw the line, which is perfectly fine, but at the same time this is why tasks like these have a trophy or an achievement attached…something you usually earn when some degree of work (a word many gamers don’t wanna feel when trying to enjoy their hobby) has been put in. Also, work and fun aren’t mutually exclusive to each other, so it is possible to do and have both at the same time. At the end of the day if you feel the “negative” aspects far outweigh your enjoyment of the hobby, then yes, by all means stop, but perhaps try taking a break (could be weeks or months) first to see if you’re interest in trophy hunting has been revitalized.

Btw, great job on The Division and The Division 2! ? I have both at 100% myself and I love both of those games dearly, putting lots of time in both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, damage_6-9 said:

Fair enough, gaming is supposed to be enjoyable, maybe you should go into your PS4's settings and turn trophy notifications off... it's worked nicely for me.

This is a good way to become clean.

2 hours ago, Kemu912Aroha-Nz said:

Gaming are supposed to be fun and that`s why I am going to play for the fun from now on and just enjoy myself out there.

PSNP is not an airport. You don’t have to announce your departure.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 3

I haven't been thinking about quitting trophy hunting but certainly changing the way I do it.

I've been letting trophy hunting decide what games I play, how I play them, and (because of milestones) what order I play them in.

For years I just played games I enjoyed, or thought I'd enjoy, and didn't even look at the trophies, I'm not sure what changed my mindset but I definitely want to change it again.

I've seen people describe trophy hunting as an addiction before, I think that can be pretty accurate. I like when people start topics like this, the conversation is usually pretty interesting.

• Like 4

OP It honestly sounds like u got burned out which I can totally relate to. A few yrs ago I got burned out n took a little over a yr off from trophy hunting. Even now as I type this my trajectory for trophy hunting is changing. I have a alt account that I will use for games I wanna enjoy w/o having to worry about grinding out the plat. I hate that I'm so concerned about my completion rate on my main but i am which is 1 of the reasons y i have a alt to begin with but it really Is so relaxing playing a game n just enjoying it w/o worrying about trophies. No I don't wanna collect collectibles or do all side missions n challenges n i definitely dont wanna speed run anything. I just wanna play through the story n move on. 

1 minute ago, InsomniWrench said:

I haven't been thinking about quitting trophy hunting but certainly changing the way I do it.

I've been letting trophy hunting decide what games I play, how I play them, and (because of milestones) what order I play them in.

For years I just played games I enjoyed, or thought I'd enjoy, and didn't even look at the trophies, I'm not sure what changed my mindset but I definitely want to change it again.

I've seen people describe trophy hunting as an addiction before, I think that can be pretty accurate. I like when people start topics like this, the conversation is usually pretty interesting.

100% agree with u. 

As with any hobby, it's easy to overstep and for it to become an obsession very quickly. And usually at that point is when a hobby you once loved starts to not be as fun anymore. 

The beauty is that you can always return when that flame gets rekindled, which it almost always does eventually. It's not like once you stop, everything is lost that you worked for. It'll always still be there when the day comes you want to get back into it. 

I'm always very conscious of not complaining or getting frustrated over trophies and I stop myself when I start to get that way. Because I see comments on here every day of people ranting and complaining about their trophy hunting experiences, clearly not having a very good time and I don't want to be that person ever. It's a fun hobby and all but no hobby is worth beating your head against a wall figurately just to get some trophies in video games and put yourself through the agony sometimes just to get those trophies. Playing games you don't even like just to get the trophies for it, been there done that. There's no need to torture yourself over this stuff and if you aren't having fun with it then there's not much benefit in doing it at all then. 

No matter how much you enjoy something, if you do it enough over a long period of time it'll eventually become work. Burn out is a thing and you've changed over time. Try something new for a while, maybe you'll want to come back, maybe you'll fully move on. No shame in any of that.

For my part I'm playing less and less these days. Achievement hunting, even if done for personal reason and not chasing leaderboards/rankings, is largely a rat race. You're always stuck between finishing what you have and starting the next new thing. And you're on a major timelimit if you've got games left over from previous eras, PS3s aren't going to last forever. At some point it all becomes too much and I just stopped caring.

It's worse if you play across different ecosystems. I used to do a lot of multi-system hunting. I recognized late last year that it had become unhealthy and just cold turkey'd the mess.

I know what you mean OP. I'm not quitting and I probably won't fully quit anytime soon, but I am on a trophy break of sorts. For the last month or so I've been just playing games I want to play. Not games I've bought, "I kinda maybe could see myself wanting to play" for the trophies, but games I actually wanna play. I've replayed God of War because I felt like it, started Bloodstained but dropped it because I just wanted to start playing the Halo series the next day. And frankly it's fucking refreshing not to finish a game, just dropping it halfway through and not caring about the trophies (got the plat in Bloodstained already, great game btw). 

I wouldn't call trophies addictive by themselves. They are just about as addictive as anything else really - if you do something you like regularly, you'll feel weird if you forcefully stop. If only a part of it is fun but you push yourself through the bad parts to get to the good stuff, it can kill your enjoyment. It's a habit, nothing more. But the pursuit of trophies, whether it's ezpz stuff or Mein Lebens can ruin your gaming experience. I like trophies, but I kinda got tired of them for now. 

After the first 4 Halo games (and 2 Anno games somewhere along the way) I felt like Skyrim and trophies again. Got 100% and it was great. Trophies are fun again, yay! Until I played Port Royale 4. The battle mechanics are so bad that I just dropped the game. 2 months ago I would've forced myself to complete it, maybe 2 months from now I will. But breaks are good. It feels so much better to play games you actually want to play (and not have the compulsion to finish if you get bored) than games that you may want to play but wouldn't if it wasn't for the trophies. 

I know it sounds obvious, but it is very refreshing for someone heavily invested in collecting trophies. 

Edited by the1andonly654
  • Like 1

Gaming is meant to be fun after all, personally I am very glad I stopped with the easy platinum nonsense. A waste of time and money in hindsight (in my opinion)

We all need to step back a little sometimes and readjust our priorities, seeing the bigger picture can prove beneficial sometimes.

As long as you do the right thing for you, then no one can argue with that. 

• Like 3

Sounds like you could do with a new hobby maybe? (Inside or outside of gaming, depending on if it's just trophies or you're actually just burnt out on gaming) I find forcing yourself to do something rather than you just naturally finding yourself doing said thing kinda indicates for some time off and/or that you're in the wrong mindset about the whole thing 

• Like 1

Some games I have bought in the past were just for trophies I'd admit, but now I buy the games that look fun and something I would enjoy playing and trophies are secondary to me now, but some trophies in games just suck the fun out of the game like speed run trophies for example,

Why do I want to rush through a game I've just started? how am I supposed to enjoy the game if I'm rushing through it a quick as possible? I won't do that so if anything I'll attempt a speed run trophy after I completed the game once at my own pace.

It's the same with the leader boards on here, I'm not rushing through the game as quickly as possible just to get high on the leader board.

2 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

You really need to learn how to read and keep stuff in topic.

While the things you said are technically right, @Phoenixgaming1 is also right because you extrapolated and made a lot of assumptions.

He only offered a counter-argument to what you said, so if he was off-topic so were you.

• Like 2

Read some physical books, keep a list of what you want to livestream for movies/TV, join some communities that share the same interests as you, and live life as you see fit. 

Nobody is forcing you to stay and trophy hunt. I occasionally take a day or two break from trophies and just watch content I want to watch on YouTube and elsewhere. 

If you’re done with this hobby TC, then I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InsomniWrench said:

Be careful about stats. IMO you want it so the stats follow you, giving an insight of how you play and not the other way around where you are chasing them. They're better natural I think. And yeah you can be sure that anything that makes you feel good is going to be addictive to someone somewhere where they chase that rush of a feeling and want more

I play games that I want to play with the intention to get the plat, but I don't hold myself to it if I fall off of a game or don't feel like getting the remaining trophies after finishing a game, or whatever. I look at my trophy list as my journal into what I did and when it was. I am not ashamed of having a 1% game if I ended up not liking the game. I would never force myself, life is way too short and I have other hobbies/parts of my life that also need attention. Don't get me wrong, I love my trophies, but I don't let them be the driving factor for playing or not playing a game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

While the things you said are technically right, @Phoenixgaming1 is also right because you extrapolated and made a lot of assumptions.

He only offered a counter-argument to what you said, so if he was off-topic so were you.

I don't do back and forth with people on the internet, I just say my piece some people agree others don't and that's that, further talking only leads to derailing the thread.

• Like 1