Why I decided to leave trophy hunting today! Who else have made this same decision?

Kemu912Aroha-Nz

sometimes trophy hunting can burn u out

who knows.. maybe you'll get the passion to come back to it some time in the (hopefully near) future 

find a multiplayer game that u like that u can play with friends just for fun (overwatch is this game for me), whenever u feel like u need a break from feeling like trophy hunting is a job

• Like 3

I've pretty much stopped as well, recently I've only been continuing, due to wanting to finish the games I've started and games that were getting their servers shut down and also wanting to complete my goal of reaching 100 platinums which I set basically when I first started 8 years ago at this point. 

I've come to realize that I've obsessed a little too much over trophies, and there was a huge point in 2018 where I just got completely burned out and stopped for pretty much that whole year almost. And my trophies hunting hasn't recovered all that well since then. There are times here and there still when I'll knock out a few platinums but now I don't really see that happening anymore. For one to platinum a game, I must own the game and I've stopped buying games on my PlayStation, I've recently moved to PC and have a much better experience, so there's no point in me buying games anymore on my PS, and also for some odd reason I just don't feel the same need to earn trophies and achievement on PC like I do on PS, on PS I feel like I have to have a high completion status like I have to 100% everything and I have no idea why, I don't feel that same pressure at all on PC even though there are achievements, and stats for them like, but I guess maybe it has a bit to do with the culture of the community as well. PlayStation has a big emphasis on trophies and trophy hunting while PC doesn't 

I tend to find I go through peaks and troughs with trophy hunting, as well as gaming in general. Sometimes I feel motivated and it goes well, sometimes it doesn't go well or I can't be bothered (eg after a heavy night the day before).

Overall I enjoy playing games though, but if I didn't then I'd stop. Ultimately, it's like anything else,  if you're not enjoying it then stop. Either you'll come back to it or you won't. The world will still keep on turning.

My advice? Don't worry about it, either way. Imagine if it was films you were into, rather than games... No one would expect you to watch every film to the end.

Try not to be so hard on yourself, just chill. If you're enjoying it, then great, if you're not enjoying it then stop and find something that does give you joy.

• Like 2

I've been in the same position plenty of times, especially when playing games I don't particulary like (Looking at you Onrush) because of boosting up % or server closures being imminent. I constantly ask myself why I put myself through it. Especially when I put off games for being complicated, hard to plat or unsure off and don't want to lower my % anymore than what it already is but, I get a rush when that plat pops, when I've gone through some grueling grind, something so difficult I've doubted myself, games that have taken years to finally push through it. 

It's about finding the balance though between platting games you enjoy but also allowing yourself to play games you have no intention of platting just because it's a good game. It's hard though to play a game with no objective other than to finish it in my opinion 

• Like 1

Yeah, I know what you mean. Popping a platinum once elicited a strong dopamine hit, but this has dulled significantly over the years, I must admit. There have been intermittent stretches of months at a time, where I have basically no interest in gaming. Although I haven't reached the point of completely disregarding trophies just yet, I'm hopeful that completionism will release me from its grasp eventually.

In any case, hope your new focus works out for you.

• Like 1

I've always been a completionist since way before Playstation, in fact since Pokemon on the Gameboy colour before trophies were even a thing. I did things like completing the pokedex in most of the pokemon games, getting 100% in the PS2 version of FFX-2, as well as 100% in other PS2 and Nintendo games which had no trophies or any kind of achievements at all, like Kingdom Hearts DDD, FF tactics A2,  and a bunch of Bratz games on the PS2. I too got into trophy hunting on PS3, which I played mostly ff and Tales, but I wasn't serious about it and didn't have a clue what completion % was as I wasn't on this site since I did not know about it. But looking back I clearly ruined my completion % with games like both the Tales of Symphonia games and Disgaea D2. 

Trophy hunting indeed can be stressful, I found it makes me more selective and careful when choosing games, while before trophies i just played whatever I wanted without worrying if there are glitches or online stuff or super hard mini games. I have not quit trophy hunting, but I just pick games I enjoy, and if I can get the trophies I go for it. I can't get platinums in all my games (e.g. Kingdom hearts) and certainly never bother with DLC like the amount FFXV had, where I hardly got any of it, so I know I'll never achieve a perfect completion %. 

I agree that some games make you do such ridiculous things that you would otherwise not bother with if it weren't for trophies. I know in FFX I certainly wouldn't have bothered with dodging lightning bolts or the butterfly game and didn't in the PS2 version, as who uses Lulu and Kimahri anyway. The trophies in the HD remaster made me do it though. 

• Like 3

been feeling the same myself, got to that stage recently trying to grind out max player level on Evil Dead (last trophy needed for Plat) but i just don't enjoy the game and if getting the plat isn't fun or for a game i actually enjoy then i am just wasting time on a meh thing. Over 150 plat earned and can't really say many of those i truely enjoyed.

I have gotten to the stage where i have so little free time, i'd rather enjoy my time gaming then waste it getting frusted over stupid trophy shite

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Trophy hunting indeed can be stressful, I found it makes me more selective and careful when choosing games, while before trophies i just played whatever I wanted without worrying if there are glitches or online stuff or super hard mini games. I have not quit trophy hunting, but I just pick games I enjoy, and if I can get the trophies I go for it. I can't get platinums in all my games (e.g. Kingdom hearts) and certainly never bother with DLC like the amount FFXV had, where I hardly got any of it, so I know I'll never achieve a perfect completion %. 

I agree that some games make you do such ridiculous things that you would otherwise not bother with if it weren't for trophies. I know in FFX I certainly wouldn't have bothered with dodging lightning bolts or the butterfly game and didn't in the PS2 version, as who uses Lulu and Kimahri anyway. The trophies in the HD remaster made me do it though. 

This sums up everything perfectly. Filling out that sphere grid in FFX long after completing the game just to get the plat makes you wonder why in the hell you are doing it.

The selective gaming is also an issue where you avoid games with known bugged trophies, long games like Diablo 2, hard games or any game you don't see yourself being able to plat. Especially with PS Plus and the amount of games available now where you need to look up a guide, calculate everything before even trying the game. 

I've been a completionist as well from the start, filling up a pokedex, leaving the snes on to complete super mario world, all stars in mario 64 etc. But, it felt different when you don't feel forced into it and everything is by choice. Trophy hunting can feel so forced sometimes when you're doing something long into post game just for the sake of it and for that I can fully understand why someone would quit.

• Like 3

I think you did the right decision: if you feel like you need to leave then do so, and do what you need to do. If the fun stops then you're right to quit and take a break, do else, and play games for the simple fun factor.

I myself might take a break and leave trophy hunting one day. One day I know I'll stop as well. It's never a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

But for now I will still do it, because I keep remembering to play games that I enjoy first. Now you must do this yourself, and simply enjoy them for what they are.

Trophies and achievements were the worst thing to happen to console games, it's sapped all the fun out of it for me. Some people can ignore it, I did for a long time, ever since I discovered PSNProfiles it's triggered my OCD and i've lost all enjoyment in what I play now. The requirements for all this stuff just isn't fun - complete a game without dying, rack up x amount of wins/deaths online, find a million collectables in one playthrough, go out your way to do something you just wouldn't do under normal circumstances etc. If it doesn't come organically then it shouldn't be a trophy. Difficulty modes have been rendered pointless due to the tacked on tedium of other trophy requirements.

• Like 2

I've been in that position a few times too. I created this PSN profile at the time to be able to start with a fresh trophy list because the list on the old profile was just too fucked up. I couldn't make this one with the same e-mail address as the old ID so I changed the e-mail in my old account with a non-existing one so actually, I'm not even able to get it back. And it sucks because that had platinum on games you can't achieve anymore due to server closures and I've had my best time on those games. At the time I also bought games especially for the easy platinum (Terminator Salvation) but I also had self-respect so games like Hannah Montana and My Name is Mayo were definitely never an option. But I also didn't play a fair amount of games, just because the platinum was too hard to get. Nowadays I only buy games that I really want to play. Because, as you said, gaming should be fun. And that was the best decision I've ever made in gaming. 

I'm 31 years old now, before the Playstation 1 was released I played on my cousin's Atari 2600. Then I got the Playstation 1 and now I'm onto the 5th generation of it. So, just like you, I've had moments where trophy hunting wasn't fun anymore and that was accompanied by that I also got bored when I played a game so there have certainly been times when my Playstation itself has not been started up for several months, except for watching a movie. But after a while, you go back to gaming anyway. 

I didn't leave trophy hunting as I still enjoy earning a platinum trophy, but I left trophy hunting just for the sake of the trophy. It's about quality, not quantity. In that respect, I've never understood why some people have the same game platinum 3 times with auto pop. It's dumb, ridiculous, and stupid. 

I agree and disagree with @BluesFanUK, both on his football team and his opinion. ? I agree that trophies (& achievements) ruined gaming in many aspects. But they're a nice addition as well, it just gives you more to do in a game, although grinding things like "drive 5000 miles" or "get 10.002 kills" should be removed asap. Same with online trophies, a platinum trophy should ALWAYS be obtainable. Conclusion: Trophies are a poisoned gift. 

At the end of the day, you have to do what you enjoy. If you don't like hunting trophies or go out of your way for all the collectibles, you have to quit it (or take a break from it). Nobody cares about someone else's virtual trophy shelve anyway, it's just for you. But from my own experience, I can say that after a while of casual gaming you will go back to looking for the trophies if you really like the game. ?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cellcrash1991 said:

I didn't leave trophy hunting as I still enjoy earning a platinum trophy, but I left trophy hunting just for the sake of the trophy. It's about quality, not quantity. In that respect, I've never understood why some people have the same game platinum 3 times with auto pop. It's dumb, ridiculous, and stupid. 1f642.png

Same. I have a few 'shameful' platinums from when I was in trophy hunting competitions, which I now try to avoid. No shovelware, luckily, and there's only two games I'd really rather not have on my profile - one's Pox Nora, which is pretty much the definition of UR cheesing, and then Monster Jam Steel Titans, which isn't particularly noteworthy in any regard except in how terrible a racing game I found it to be.

These days I try to avoid any game which I wouldn't be glad to have showcased as one of my platinums. And I try to avoid autopops, stacking, and high rarity platinums when possible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phoenixgaming1 said:

That's not true at all, he said he's still going to platinum his favorite games, and people can write about their decisions, he made this to ask if people felt the same way as him. 

Says who? People write about all sorts of things for no reason other than they want to share what they are feeling. And he never second-guessed himself? He seems quite firm on his decision.

Where did he say he would delete accounts? You can't even delete PlayStation accounts, and if you delete a PSNP account you can easily restore it, all you'd lose is your forum's data which is useless. And the whole "give the whole thing more thought" like dude just let the guy quit, he said he's tired of trophy hunting and just wants to do only his favorite stuff. I never understood why when someone wants to be done with something there are always people trying to make that person second guess themselves as if they aren't firm on their decision in which he gave very valid points on why he's done.

You really need to learn how to read and keep stuff in topic.

Edited by Sunnyburrito

I really don't understand why people plays games for trophies. 

You should play a game for what it is, a game, trophies are a bonus thing. 

If you don't want to get all the trophies or you can't, just skip it, who stops you? 

I know people who don't play great games because trophies are hard to get or the platinum is unobtainable. 

To each his own I guess, and I am sure this is an unpopular opinion on a website designed to track trophies. 

I personally try to complete every game at 100% but when something is beyond my capacity, after I have tried a good amount of time without result, I proceed to the next game. This should be a hobby, not a reason for stress. I don't feel the need to explain or justify myself to others, and I think you should the same, play what you want and just enjoy the games you like. My two cents. 

• Like 4