Are the BAD reviews true? Or just haters?

SuchRemorse

On 27/01/2023 at 4:10 PM, Shintetsuken said:

Let’s say it’s 2018 and you could only buy one game. You don’t know if it should be Metal Gear Survive or God of War (2018). Would you really not look around for reviews before purchasing, and just think “I need to make my own decision?” It makes a lot more sense to make an informed decision before committing to something.

You can still make your decisions on what other people say that way, you don’t need to experience every single thing in the world (I imagine eating garbage tastes bad, I don’t need to experience it).

I think there’s a balancing act when it comes to what should inform one’s own purchasing decisions and I can see both sides of the argument. 

On the one hand, it does make me smirk whenever somebody makes a point of not listening to reviews because they, “make up their own mind”. (Have you noticed people only tend to say that when the reviews are negative?) While I respect being independent minded, that’s not the same as being stubborn minded. In truth, all it shows is that one is easily seduced by curated stills and trailers from companies who have a vested interest in the consumer’s purchase. This is exactly how someone ends up pre-ordering overhyped games only to get burned on day 1. No publisher is going to state outright that their game is unplayable at launch. They put their best foot forward in trailers and interviews which is why it’s so important to take note - not worship - but at least take note of what people who have played the game are telling you.

Remember the controversy around the Cyberpunk 2077 review from Gamespot’s Kallie Plagge? “Content creators” and other journos were too swept up in the hype to judge the game objectively. Plagge’s review was the most honest amongst them all but gamers didn’t want to hear it because they had already “made up their own mind” that Cyberpunk was going to be the second coming. Even before reviews, all the red flags were there:  a gold master that had to be delayed (unheard of); limiting review codes to PC only; making reviewers only show limited clips etc but people just didn’t want to see the truth. Funnily enough, Plagge’s review was actually positive (7/10) but she also wasn’t afraid to highlight obvious flaws. History now shows that she was absolutely right. 

On the other end of the spectrum, reviewers can have agendas of their own (Hogwart’s Legacy) which is why if there is a game you’re interested in but game journos say it’s bad the safest thing to do is just buy it on sale (and ideally on disc). That way, if it’s good then you got a great, fully working game at a bargain price. If it’s bad you didn’t spend too much and can resell it or trade it in. I've mentioned this before but it’s amusing watching people praise youtubers for “saving” them from a bad purchase…when there is no way of knowing whether that’s true or not unless one actually plays the game.  If I had let reviews "save me" from a purchase I would have never played Fallout 76 or Mass Effect Andromeda - two games I adored because I bought them long after launch. 

I played the demo of Forspoken and while it's OK my biggest complaint is that it felt like a Ubisoft game but without the fun. I think the complaints about the dialogue and main character are way overblown, and I have a feeling that if Nathan Drake was saying those same lines he would have been praised for how "charismatic" he is. The game is mid. Not a complete trainwreck like a lot of these clickbait youtubers would have you believe. That's the problem with youtube reviews - once they realise hating on the latest punching bag will get them clicks all critical thinking goes out the window. 

So again, it’s a balancing act. Take heed of other people’s opinions but never let them permanently put you off a game you’re genuinely interested in. I will get Forspoken when it’s on a deep sale and hopefully it will be enjoyable despite initial reservations.

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
  • Like 1

Yeah it sometimes feels tough finding that middle ground reviewer. I recently had a gander at NicheGamer’s review of FFXVI and that thing read like some overextended Reddit comment whinging. It doesn’t provide intelligible commentary about why the combat is bad - zero acknowledgement on the existence of the FF mode or why the Arethe Stone trials failed to the expectations of difficulty. All a lexical nag that drags. It’s like the game wasn’t played with sincerity.

I don’t mind when a video game journalist has differing takes to mine on a game but if they are going to critique somefink bad, it’s gotta come from intelligent sincerity & scrutiny of the mechanics, as well as honesty. Not propaganda or low effort report writing. 

The most insincere review I read was from PC Gamer on Days Gone. Waste of a reviewer code. 

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Yeah it sometimes feels tough finding that middle ground reviewer. I recently had a gander at NicheGamer’s review of FFXVI that thing read like some overextended Reddit comment whinging. It doesn’t provide intelligible commentary about why the combat is bad - zero acknowledgement on the existence of the FF mode or why the Arethe Stone trials failed to the expectations of difficulty. All a lexical nag that drags. It’s like the game wasn’t played with sincerity.

I don’t mind when a video game journalist has differing takes to mine on a game but if they are going to critique some as bad, it’s gotta come from intelligent sincerity scrutiny of the mechanics, as well as honesty. Not propaganda or low effort report writing. 

Tbf nichegamer is a hack site. It shouldn't qualify as a source-able opinion anymore than an random reddit post.

On 2023-01-26 at 5:01 AM, Eraezr said:

Hopefully they're improve the gameplay loop designs at the next game and stop trying to second guess the international audience so much. The dialogue is like this in Forspoken because Amy is a Joss Whedon fangirl.

I know I’m late on pointing this out, but Amy Hennig didn’t write any of the actual story or dialog in the game. She and another wrote the lore of the world. Two other writers did the story and dialog. Totalling four writers on the whole game.

Edited by Elvick_

6 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I know I’m late on pointing this out, but Amy Hennig didn’t write any of the actual story or dialog in the game. She and another wrote the lore of the world. Two other writers did the story and dialog. Totalling four writers on the whole game.

Yeah I came to this realisation when I saw this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got the platinum last night after 47 hours, according to the save file. Just want to share my opinion for anyone who came here undecided on whether they should tackle this platinum or not, I sure was one of them.

• Is it a "bad game"? Gameplay-wise, no. There are far worse broken games out there. What's here at least function as intended. Perhaps the performance was bad pre-patch, I don't know, I started a week ago, but the state of the game now is good, no frame rate drops, everything is smooth, no crashes.
  • The combat and traversal are actually fun, once you have progressed further into the story and learnt more spells. But it will take a long time to open up, at least 10+ hours of normal play. I think many players might have thrown in the towel before that point and never got to see the variety and true potential. But if you are looking to platinum the game, you will have to do everything and therefore will experience all game mechanics Forspoken has to offer.
  • Story/writing. This will be down to personal taste. Personally, I didn't mind it too much, perhaps my expectation was set very low after reading so much online bashing. But is it so bad that it would stop you from getting the platinum if you are determined to get it? No.
  • The plat is grindy, you will be doing many repetitive side content. Be prepared going in. But it only took me 47 hours, I didn't skip anything story and actually did more optional content than required for the plat. This will depend on your tolerance for grindy games, Forspoken wasn't too bad in my book, I've played worse, 100-200 hours grind. The grind is a good opportunity to catch up on your podcasts, I had a great time.
  • The thing I hate the most is the unnecessary slow pace in some missions. I HATE forced slow walking segments in games, where the game won't let you run, and you have to walk slowly next to some NPC while they talk. And there are small things like picking up an item, then the screen cuts to black, shows you a text of the item you just picked up, even though you've already picked it up many times before, then cuts back to your character. This happens far too many times for my liking, but it's the only gripe I have with the game.

So should you go for the platinum? I would say yes, the gameplay is fun if you can look past the story. The grind is bearable with some podcasts. Sure there are better and easier to platinum games out there, but Forspoken is also not the worst of the worst either, as some people will have you believe.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I know i'm very late on this but with this being one of the games i enjoyed the most since the PS5 launched i wanted to get this of my mind

No they're not and i wouln't call them just haters but many ppl were definitely buy that one scene and be like "Haha look at this funny meme, it's the worst game ever made" without even playing it

I would recommend Rantons review on this game tho i don't agree with some things he said but he makes great videos in general

Is it a great game no, it has some issues some of which they actually fixed or improved later like the white screens, the awkward pauses after a conversation with an NPC is over

Where the game does shine and i feel like abrely anyone points this out is the technical side

Graphics are ok but they're better than they're worse, there is abit of inconsistency throughout the game

Character models look really good in cutscenes and the perfectly captured the face of Ella Balinska and they have some really good hair physics which you can sadly see only very early and very late in the game, i think they're on a Alice madness returns level

Enemies are pretty varied and detailed too, small ones big ones, everyone

Same goes for the different areas you will explore

Loading screens do occur at story scenes but they're non existent during gameplay

Fast travel is more like insta travel, no matter where you choose to go it's always in a blink of an eye 

also the continue from the main menu is nearly instant

and the PS5s activity cards let you jump back into the game from the dashboard in about 6 seconds maybe 8 it's been too long

The combat, like ppl said here will get really good, for me it's 10/10, not from the start but if you unlock and enhance every ability you can do some crazy stuff that will remind you of games like Prototype or Infamous plus you will combine it with her parkour moves which are beatifully animated and every of the 4 magic trees has different animations for Frey

You can find hordes of up to 70 zombies and go crazy with testing your abilites on them, particle effects are crazy too, maybe sometimes too crazy, bc the special moves will tank the FPS for a few seconds to like 20, other than that i can't remember other occasions where the FPS dropped

it feels to me like many of the ps3/360 games where devs knew certain things will cause perfomance issues but they wanted to fulfill their vision

So they game impressed me the most with what it achieved from a technical perspective combined with the gameplay, tho the visuals were downgraded from the reveal trailer but it's been a long time since we had comparable games like this 

last one was probably Saints row IV bc of it's superpowers or Infamous second son having some elements but not all

Everything combined like Forspoken

Insta fast travel/ no load screens

Fast paced and varied magical combat/parkour

Crazy particle effects

hordes of up to 70 zombies and huge bosses

all at 60fps in an open world game on consoles i'm sure there is no game like this at the moment

Outside of Sony exclusives like Horizon forbidden west or Ratchet and clank rift apart this and Final Fantasy XVI are the most next gen games just from a technical perspective 

This is not a review so i probably forgot some negatives and positives but if i had to give it a score it would be an 8/10

I don't regret the full price i paid at launch at all and i'm bumme that we will probably never see what those devs had in mind for the sequel that gets apparently teased in the DLC which i bought but haven't played yet

Forspoken will most likely suffer the same fate as most games where ppl buy it at a deep sale or wait for it to be on Ps+, enjoy it and then say "Man why don't they make a sequel"

Peace

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've just finished the game and quite frankly, I loved it. Some people say the first couple hours drags but I didn't find that to be the case. When I first saw the trailer for this, I thought WOW damn, this looks like something I wanna play and now that I have, I had a blast despite what reviews and critics say. Just remember one thing - reviews are subjective. Something you enjoy I may feel the opposite about. Never go off of reviews. Sure have a look at the rating of a game but never go deeper than that and look into the details of it. 

From my experience, look at gameplay and trailers before buying any game. If the game itself looks fun and something similar to what you'd normally play, then buy all means buy it! A fine example of mine is the game 'Extinction'. Reviews said it was terrible for such a hyped game but I looked at the gameplay and sure I wanted to play it. Despite the repetitiveness nature of it and the dull story, I played it for the gameplay which is what I thoroughly enjoyed the most about it.

I reiterate again. NEVER EVER decide on what you wanna buy/play based off of reviews by others. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just finished the campaign and jumped into the postgame and I have to say I love the game. I never EVER read "reviews" nor look at the "rating" on metacritic as it's useless. I loved the videos back when they announced it and waited for a price drop to grab it.

To be honest, it's not a 10/10 game, but for me it's a solid 7-8/10. The gameplay is fun, the story is a bit cliché but still good and the game can be quite challenging sometimes if you don't abuse the accessibility options. 

It was so weird seeing this next to the likes of Gollum and King Kong in the 'worst games of the year' lists. It isn't perfect, but it's both dirt cheap now and FAR better than either of those games. I wouldn't play Gollum or King Kong for free, this game in comparison is honestly alright, horrible characters and dialogue aside.

• 4 weeks later...

I went in with low expectations and I'm disappointed. There are plenty of games I'll admit just aren't for me and aren't bad games just because I don't enjoy them. But with this game I don't understands who it's made for. It excels at nothing. Everything is average or below average. Combat, camera, lock-on, graphics, story, characters, dialogue, world design. I don't get how this was suppose to be a big release for Playstation. I'm 8 hours in and may just move on.

Edit: Now nearly 40 hours in and only 1 trophy away from platinum I can honestly say this is the worst AAA game I've played this generation. I pushed through it for completion sake and to torture myself. I would even put Valhalla and Saint's Row above this game.

Edited by Sn1per666999
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having platinumed the game and taken some time to sit with my thoughts,  I can now confidently say that most of the “critique” for Forspoken was disingenuous engagement bait that exaggerated many of its least egregious elements.  While the dialogue IS eye-roll worthy at times, the hyperfixation on the protagonist (who is actually a well written character) detracts from the REAL problem with Forspoken and that’s this: 

The game is clearly unfinished

The fast travel load times would be impressive if they weren’t offset by all the micro loading after every single action the player takes. The game frequently snatches control away from you to load and takes forever to hand that control back. I mean, it loads to zoom in the MAP!  This game needed at least another year of polish to avoid the devs taking such ridiculous shortcuts like this.

The story, on paper, is actually decent with a clever twist. I suspect the only reason why this twist was never spoiled by reviewers is because it’s probably the most positive thing about the game and actually justifies one of its biggest criticisms.   However, the pacing of the narrative is rushed, feeling like content was cut somewhere during development. I was surprised at how quickly you acquire the final two Tanta powers and how the third act/endgame pretty much creeps up on you with no discernable warning. The campaign does not feel equal to the size of the world it runs in which, by the way, is far too big considering there isn’t anything to do in it other than icon clearing. There aren’t any proper side quests, and what little there are, again, relates directly to clearing icons on the map.

There are soooo many spells to learn in such a short space of time that you almost have to do the spellcraft challenges outside of the trophy requirement so that you can get the most out of how they work. Pulling off certain combos reveals the potential of the combat, but because you acquire too many spells far too fast you never quite get a feel for it. I was still upgrading spells from the previous Tanta tree when I acquired the new one... Frey’s powers were probably my favourite because it’s the one spell tree the game gives you the most time with before acquiring the next one. The disperse skill is also objectively the most powerful spell in the game, a glorified turret that makes quick work of all the game's most irritating enemies. 

And credit where it's due: the spellcraft challenges are a great concept. I like that they become more difficult the more powerful Frey gets due to the risk of accidentally killing the target. It forces you to get creative while revealing what the strongest and weakest enemies are at that point. BUT because there are just so many spells there's just not enough time to truly master all of them, especially if you complete the challenges quickly. I think each Tanta spell tree would have benefited from being halved to be honest. Also, the lock-on doesn’t actually lock on which was a problem in Final Fantasy XV - also made by this now (sadly) folded dev team.

Beyond feeling incomplete, the world design is ugly and barren making it unpleasant to move through and uninteresting to explore. It’s also one of those open worlds where you’ll spend ages trying to reach an area only to realise it’s inaccessible until you progress through the main story. Many modern games with metroidvania-like elements tell you when you don’t have the appropriate power to solve a puzzle or go to a specific area in order not to waste your time. Forspoken doesn't, so I learned quickly not to trust anything I saw on the map until I made significant story progress.

I also think the game is too heavy-handed with its lore. Using Biomutant as an example of how to do lore right, there is a sadness to an otherwise beautiful looking world expressed through its environmental storytelling, and the fact that these mutated creatures have been left to fend for themselves in a world that humans ruined. In other words, its history is felt, not spoken. Forspoken is a game that drowns you in lore to the point where every lore entry isn’t just parked away for you to read later like most modern games, rather, it pauses your screen and forces you to read them the moment you pick them up. Like, why? 

As for the platinum, it's amongst one of the worst in recent memory. It’s absolutely everything developers get wrong about achievements, particularly the emphasis on quantity/time as opposed to skill. I’ve always said a good platinum trophy is one that requires you to do a bit of everything and, in doing so, gifts the player with a full understanding of a game’s mechanics. With Forspoken, it’s just pure grind for the sake of grind. It doesn’t teach you anything you don’t already know and there is no skill involved in doing something 100 times that you mastered by the 10th time. It’s one of those platinums where it doesn’t feel like it was designed as a challenge for the player but, rather, as a way for the developers to show off work they're proud of What would have been more interesting is to have more of those combat trophies that require you to combine spells in a clever way. I think it’s telling that there are very few of these…

To summarise, Forspoken has many issues with some redeeming elements, but it's not the disaster you've been led to believe. It's a game out of time in many ways and being so unfinished makes it feel like a tech demo as opposed to Square Enix's next big AAA blockbuster. The first few hours are probably its worst and if it wasn’t for the platinum I would say this it's a 6/10 at best. With the platinum in mind it’s a 5/10 A.K.A mid. Not great.  Not terrible. Simply mid.

10 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Having platinumed the game and taken some time to sit with my thoughts,  I can now confidently say that most of the “critique” for Forspoken was disingenuous engagement bait that exaggerated many of its least egregious elements.  While the dialogue IS eye-roll worthy at times, the hyperfixation on the protagonist (who is actually a well written character) detracts from the REAL problem with Forspoken and that’s this: 

Strongly disagree. Frey is an atrociously written character whose timing of her alleged "character growth/arc" coincides in a way that makes it come off as a selfish decision rather than her finally stopping her bullshit nonsense. To avoid spoilers. There's literally only one moment in the entire game that allows itself to breathe and doesn't have Frey interject some cringe dialog or cursing to immediately taint what could've been a decent interaction. And that's the second to last cutscene; the 'ending', prior to the prologue after which is wordy and qUiRkY again so ruins what could've been a nice ending moment leaving you feeling what the game intended for once.

The previous scene was poignant and handled well from top to bottom. A bit cliche, but it's what the game needed in the rest of it. To actually respect itself and it's story instead of having a counter at 99.9% of moments being the main character who for 90% of the game wants fuck all to do with the game you're supposed to be playing and the world you're supposed to be engaging with. Frey says iirc two words, definitely no more than three, the whole scene. It's well directed, the graphics don't look like an early to mid budget PS3 game, it was genuine. The only genuine moment in the entire game.

She sucks. Every other decent moment she sucks out the enjoyment by ruining it with her shitty dialog. YOU may not think it's "that bad", but I sure as fuck fuckadoodle doo bitch think it's fucking awful fuck. ALRIGHT! I'd rather listen to Chloe's dumb ass from Life is Strange than hear Frey talk anymore and I still have to go through the DLC. *sigh* 

Could the character be polished by outright deleting some dialog? Yes. She'd have a lot more good moments, but any decent one is followed either by needless cursing or her being a huge bitch and it's insufferable to sit through. But there are many scenes you couldn't fix at all because they are outright driven by her shitty personality and constant need to talk and be annoying. And that exists within the first sequence in the alley and rarely ceases. 

The attempts to get people to relate to her are shallow and didn't have the time needed to make it work. Some people are fine with lame attempts, the same types of people who think a jump scare is peak horror. But not everyone has to have low standards. 

Again, you may not find her a real problem but she is a real problem. The game has tons of OTHER problems, but she is one too. Certain things could have worked with her character if they were better timed. Given so many hate her shows how big of an issue it is and no it's not just people hating on a bandwagon. She's a legitimate problem.

Everything else you said I have already seen tons of people talk about being wrong with the game. So I'm not sure you've even seen a lot of criticism of the game and just assume it's all about Frey being annoying. It's just she's the most unavoidable part. If you play 20 minutes, 1 hour, or 40 hours she will always be there. And she will always be annoying short of finishing the story and muting her dialog entirely. The game takes so long before it allows you to actively play it that you're just stuck at the wall that is Frey being an annoying asshole the whole time. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Strongly disagree. Frey is an atrociously written character whose timing of her alleged "character growth/arc" coincides in a way that makes it come off as a selfish decision rather than her finally stopping her bullshit nonsense. To avoid spoilers. There's literally only one moment in the entire game that allows itself to breathe and doesn't have Frey interject some cringe dialog or cursing to immediately taint what could've been a decent interaction. And that's the second to last cutscene; the 'ending', prior to the prologue after which is wordy and qUiRkY again so ruins what could've been a nice ending moment leaving you feeling what the game intended for once.

The previous scene was poignant and handled well from top to bottom. A bit cliche, but it's what the game needed in the rest of it. To actually respect itself and it's story instead of having a counter at 99.9% of moments being the main character who for 90% of the game wants fuck all to do with the game you're supposed to be playing and the world you're supposed to be engaging with. Frey says iirc two words, definitely no more than three, the whole scene. It's well directed, the graphics don't look like an early to mid budget PS3 game, it was genuine. The only genuine moment in the entire game.

She sucks. Every other decent moment she sucks out the enjoyment by ruining it with her shitty dialog. YOU may not think it's "that bad", but I sure as fuck fuckadoodle doo bitch think it's fucking awful fuck. ALRIGHT! I'd rather listen to Chloe's dumb ass from Life is Strange than hear Frey talk anymore and I still have to go through the DLC. *sigh* 

Could the character be polished by outright deleting some dialog? Yes. She'd have a lot more good moments, but any decent one is followed either by needless cursing or her being a huge bitch and it's insufferable to sit through. But there are many scenes you couldn't fix at all because they are outright driven by her shitty personality and constant need to talk and be annoying. And that exists within the first sequence in the alley and rarely ceases. 

The attempts to get people to relate to her are shallow and didn't have the time needed to make it work. Some people are fine with lame attempts, the same types of people who think a jump scare is peak horror. But not everyone has to have low standards. 

Again, you may not find her a real problem but she is a real problem. The game has tons of OTHER problems, but she is one too. Certain things could have worked with her character if they were better timed. Given so many hate her shows how big of an issue it is and no it's not just people hating on a bandwagon. She's a legitimate problem.

Everything else you said I have already seen tons of people talk about being wrong with the game. So I'm not sure you've even seen a lot of criticism of the game and just assume it's all about Frey being annoying. It's just she's the most unavoidable part. If you play 20 minutes, 1 hour, or 40 hours she will always be there. And she will always be annoying short of finishing the story and muting her dialog entirely. The game takes so long before it allows you to actively play it that you're just stuck at the wall that is Frey being an annoying asshole the whole time. 

Ok, breathe. Frey isn’t real, she can’t hurt you. Speaking of needless cursing…

Anyway, the “reluctant hero” is a trope as old as time. In God of War 2018 Kratos is the typical embodiment of the Sony Sad Dad, with Atreus practically dragging him on side missions that do not directly aid his goal kicking and screaming. In fact, he outright tells Atreus at one point that the only reason why he’s indulging him is because they might find loot on the way. His selfish personality actively limits the range of quests that you can do in that first game.

Tifa has to tell Cloud that being charitable will yield results and he’s mostly grouchy/indifferent to most people he meets. Those protagonists are proud of the fact that they only look out for themselves. Why isn’t Frey allowed to be? Especially when she has every reason to be. She grew up her entire life thinking nobody ever loved her or cared about her. The music box scene really underscored that beneath the brash exterior is a sad, lonely little girl with a broken heart. 

Feelings of abandonment never truly go away when you’re an orphan so it makes sense that she rejects her first chance at being part of a community, and is resentful towards those who rely on her since she never got the chance to rely on anybody growing up. Frey isn’t obligated to save a world she barely knows. Especially after how quickly Cipal turns on her after she has already defeated the first 2 Tantas just because she doesn’t want to do it anymore. It's like it's never enough. It would be hard going from an ordinary loner orphan to suddenly having super powers and being burdened to take on these four powerful beings whose experience and skill predates Frey’s very existence. She is literally risking her life for people she barely knows

Spoiler

You also have cuff who is incredibly disparaging about every individual Frey comes across, but you seemingly have no problem with him? Even in moments where Frey tries to see the good in people Cuff is always there to drag her down. Of course, we now know that planting the seeds of doubt is a tactic he uses on all Tantas during the early bonding stages in his attempts to slowly drive them insane. And she’d never admit it but I think she’s fond of cuff and wants to redeem him, even after what he did to her mother and the other Tantas.

Furthermore, you omit the fact that the reason why she is so reluctant to go after the last three Tantas is not just simply because “it’s not her problem” (which she’s 100% right about anyway) but because it involves straight up murder.  There’s an entire scene with her feeling terrible after killing Tanta Silas because her motivation for doing so was fuelled by revenge for

Spoiler

what Silas did to that little girl - who Frey pays her respects to throughout.

You're also ignoring the fact that she goes out of her way to actually talk with Tanta Prav first rather than resort to violence. You see, the problem is when you talk about a character negatively without any nuance it’s difficult to take the criticism seriously because it’s so obviously blinded by hate.  But fine, if you want Frey to be a completely selfless hero risking life and limb for a world that abandoned her then you’ll enjoy the DLC (depending on if you're going in with an open mind).

And no, let’s not rewrite history here - very few of the criticisms actually focused on the problems with the game, itself. It got to the point that, as someone looking to purchase but was on the fence, it was difficult to even get an idea as to whether it was for me or not because reviewers and content creators were poking fun at stuff I simply didn’t care about. Thank goodness for the demo. I play games like this for gameplay. Characters and dialogue are pluses but if I cared about that above all I'd read a good book or watch a film or play a choose-your-own-adventure type.  I’m not saying there weren't any genuine reviews out there but they were rare. Most cutscenes were taken out of context as memes for engagement that made the game seem like one of the worst ever made. The results of the hyperbole is that now I’m seeing people who held off on playing at launch, like me, picking it up and saying, “it’s not that bad” because expectations have been set so ridiculously low that the only way is up. 

And I don’t care how many people hate Frey as I’m not swayed by a majority opinion, especially when a lot of that majority opinion is not coming from a place of good faith. I’m just going to agree to disagree. I stand by my statements that Frey is a great character with some bad dialogue, and that the weird hatred of her is disproportionate to what is actually deserved.

• Confused 1

Just to throw my two cents in: I was hyped about this because I like using magic more than anything else in games like this BUT, after I played the demo for a couple hours, I was disappointed in how it felt and it turned me off of the hype train. In my opinion it felt unfinished and Frey is more fucking annoying than I am, and I can be fucking annoying. 🤣

I may give it a chance in the future but unless the 'complete edition' is free 99, I personally refuse to pay for it. That's how much it disappointed me. 

Kay bye 💜

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Ok, breathe. Frey isn’t real, she can’t hurt you. Speaking of needless cursing…

I'm a person on the internet, not a writer writing dialog in a video game for the (in theory) masses to enjoy. 

Not going to bother to read anything after that. If you cannot engage in good faith, why bother.